• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Timeshare is the Worst?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Based on personal experience of ownership, which timeshare would you never purchase again and why?

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
No personal experience, but I will still weigh in:

The timeshare you buy and never use.

So many people buy them and have no idea what they have bought, how to use it, and have no interest in learning how.

It becomes an albatross and the worst timeshare ever.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Of the timeshares I've personally owned, I'd probably never again purchase MROP. What was something like 90 locations at the time has dwindled to only a couple of dozen now, from what I understand. The reservation system was awkward, at best, and impossible, at worst. Making the right reservation at the right time in the right location was a PITA, as the booking window kept rotating, changing when something could be booked. You had to send a booking request for a more-or-less time and place, and they'd let you know at some point later on what they'd assigned you. There was no room to change that if you didn't like it. I never quite got the exact place I wanted during the exact week I wanted it. Physically, the single worst timeshare unit I've ever stayed in was with that company. I was glad to pass it along to someone who knew the drawbacks, but wanted it anyway. I was glad to be done with it, and I hope they were happy. I'm not a fan.

Dave

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Dikhololo was pretty good for a while, but value went down so I sent it back.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We own a LOT of timeshares in multiple systems. I have never sold anything. The only buyers remorse I ever had was an EOY summer week w Starwood/Vistana/Marriott in Colorado. With the every year VSN fee and not huge amount of star options the cost for usage ran high (especially if I tried to use if for skiing). However, I bought another low cost/low MF mandatory week in Florida which brought the nightly costs down significantly and now I'm fine.

Ironically, by far our most expensive TS is Hilton W 57th St in NYC and it is our favorite.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
here is a fun read

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Of the timeshares I've personally owned, I'd probably never again purchase MROP. What was something like 90 locations at the time has dwindled to only a couple of dozen now, from what I understand. The reservation system was awkward, at best, and impossible, at worst. Making the right reservation at the right time in the right location was a PITA, as the booking window kept rotating, changing when something could be booked. You had to send a booking request for a more-or-less time and place, and they'd let you know at some point later on what they'd assigned you. There was no room to change that if you didn't like it. I never quite got the exact place I wanted during the exact week I wanted it. Physically, the single worst timeshare unit I've ever stayed in was with that company. I was glad to pass it along to someone who knew the drawbacks, but wanted it anyway. I was glad to be done with it, and I hope they were happy. I'm not a fan.

Dave

Dave, have you divested yourself of all timeshares? Under your resorts owned you have it listed as "free agent".

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We own a LOT of timeshares in multiple systems. I have never sold anything. The only buyers remorse I ever had was an EOY summer week w Starwood/Vistana/Marriott in Colorado. With the every year VSN fee and not huge amount of star options the cost for usage ran high (especially if I tried to use if for skiing). However, I bought another low cost/low MF mandatory week in Florida which brought the nightly costs down significantly and now I'm fine.

Ironically, by far our most expensive TS is Hilton W 57th St in NYC and it is our favorite.
You don't regret Shell at all? I am deeding mine back at the end of May. That is my regret. We own a lot of points and use to rent, but the rental market right now is now working at all for me. No big loss to deed it back for me.

I also regret purchasing Blue Ridge Village. It's an anchor around my neck. I paid a ridiculous special assessment and fees went up by 30% in a couple of years. I know they will never go down again. Bluegreen now manages it and expects us to just come up with money whenever they decide they need it.

I have sold some of my regrets, so I won't list them here. I am wiser now. Still giving away Wyndham points.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
You don't regret Shell at all? I am deeding mine back at the end of May.

Nope. We use ours for San Francisco, Napa and San Diego. We like all of them. MF aren't cheap but those aren't cheap places to operate. They have done amazing updates to the SF properties.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, have you divested yourself of all timeshares? Under your resorts owned you have it listed as "free agent".
Yes. I own none at this point. Sold the last one a few months ago. I may buy again, but for now, I want to rent, and spend time traveling in Europe.

Dave

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Yes. I own none at this point. Sold the last one a few months ago. I may buy again, but for now, I want to rent, and spend time traveling in Europe.

Dave

Sounds like a good pivot for now but the itch might come back.

Thanks for hanging around to share your expertise and stories. Also, the Costco families need to stick together (wife at a Costco since 2001).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sounds like a good pivot for now but the itch might come back.

Thanks for hanging around to share your expertise and stories. Also, the Costco families need to stick together (wife at a Costco since 2001).

Oh, I'm not planning to go anywhere. I've said it many times, but Tuggers are the best group of imaginary friends I've ever had. :D

And yes, Costco families need to stick together. Funny, how much the warehouse gets under your skin. We drove to St. George, Utah, today, just to go to Costco. (That's our closest warehouse.) 94 miles roundtrip, just to shop the warehouse. We're a twisted group, doncha know. :D

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You were such a fan of your WM, @DaveNV! I'm surprised you sold it. Maybe your next purchase should be Hapimag....which we may end up doing if DD pursues possible plans to attend uni in Europe.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I got a free Northern CA Independent. Prior to Covid, it was to be used for annual trips. Well, plans changed. Decided to go through the buyback program. It’s now coming up to a year and still haven’t been resolved.
Have learned my lesson. My only Independent is now local and I can actually talk to ppl.

mamasnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge

what timeshare in Colorado? Not so many and they are in mountain locations where the only true value is getting your week during ski season, not mud season which tends to come and go but isn't fun unless you are biking and hiking. Now, I do love summer in the mountains, but getting a timeshare week in summer season is also difficult. I know because I've lived in
steamboat springs where Sheraton is on the mountainside and the other timeshare long ago is taken over by big management companies. There you go, summer is not the time to own a timeshare in Colorado. And now, there are lots of air&b's, more condos than ever, and lots of rentals.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You were such a fan of your WM, @DaveNV! I'm surprised you sold it. Maybe your next purchase should be Hapimag....which we may end up doing if DD pursues possible plans to attend uni in Europe.

No, it's all good. I liked my WorldMark just fine, until we moved to Nevada, (which will be three years ago in June, if you can believe that. Time flies!) Living here has completely upended how we travel. I decided rather than continuing to pay maintenance fees on resorts we weren't likely to visit again, we'd rather focus on exploring the East Coast and Europe for the next several years. We have a three-week trip in the works for Italy and Greece for next year, including a cruise through the Greek Islands. The year after that we plan to visit England and Scotland for two to three weeks. That travel doesn't work well with WorldMark, so we've passed it on to a happy new owner, and we're focusing on new things - for now. Stay tuned!

Dave

Tumblindice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spinnaker
Spinnaker . A terrible mistake to become involved with these people. They promote Interval International more than anything and lead you to believe you can vacation anywhere anytime, The reality is Spinnaker properties have very weak trading values. After you deposit your Spinnaker unit with II and notify Spinnaker of the disappointment with trading values the answer is always to up-grade to another property that will have an enhanced trading value but sadly it is only a shell game. On one sales pitch we were told that a certain credit card they promote would add value to our trading power! Please take your time and thoroughly research these companies.

THSMTHS

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
American Resorts International (ARI),
Marriott Desert Springs II,
Marriott Ko 'Olina,
Falcon Point,
Marriott Sabal Palms,
Westin Flex,
Marriott DP,
Diamond (Sedona access)
what timeshare in Colorado? Not so many and they are in mountain locations where the only true value is getting your week during ski season, not mud season which tends to come and go but isn't fun unless you are biking and hiking. Now, I do love summer in the mountains, but getting a timeshare week in summer season is also difficult. I know because I've lived in
steamboat springs where Sheraton is on the mountainside and the other timeshare long ago is taken over by big management companies. There you go, summer is not the time to own a timeshare in Colorado. And now, there are lots of air&b's, more condos than ever, and lots of rentals.
Never had trouble securing weeks. Usually spend 2-3 wks every summer. Will be going to Steamboat for the first time this year followed by two weeks in Avon. Have loved summer in Colorado since 86. Have owned since 92.

THSMTHS

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
American Resorts International (ARI),
Marriott Desert Springs II,
Marriott Ko 'Olina,
Falcon Point,
Marriott Sabal Palms,
Westin Flex,
Marriott DP,
Diamond (Sedona access)
No regrets. Own in four different systems. Have learned to work with all.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Diamond was the worst. So bad we sold our 3 BR lock-off Platinum at Mystic Dunes. We bought it resale before Diamond acquired it. It was perfect for our young family at the time. Main issues where the high pressure condescending way they treated owners and the exploding MFs. Hopefully Hilton will wash away the worst of it. Its shocking when you compare the MFs of a HVC to those of an HGVC probably 40% higher on average for a lesser product.

I've heard terrible things about Capital Vacations.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Never had trouble securing weeks. Usually spend 2-3 wks every summer. Will be going to Steamboat for the first time this year followed by two weeks in Avon. Have loved summer in Colorado since 86. Have owned since 92.
@THSMTHS Colorado for the win! Westin Riverfront is our home resort and since buying there about 6 years ago our Vail Valley vacations have taken a HUUUUUGE jump in the quality of the places we stay. Prior to timesharing, we use to rent crappy condos on VRBO for double the price of what we pay now in MF's.

7bettty1

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
We have MROP. Terrible mistake How did u get out of it. Hit us with an assessment the same as the maintenance fee. Have never had an assessment at the other timeshare we own. Just want out