• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Napa Valley - April

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Looking to go a few days to Napa Valley in April.

Suggestions for any special places to stay ? I'm limited to RCI so probably just pay to lodge

Any special must do's ?

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

Suggestions for any special places to stay ? I'm limited to RCI so probably just pay to lodge

Any special must do's ?

Thanks
Dave
When we stayed at the Shell Vino Bello in Napa we enjoyed it.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club

Any special must do's ?

Thanks
Dave
Just a warning to be prepared for sticker shock if you are going to pay for lodging. Prices seem to have shot through the roof for hotels, inns etc. This from the WSJ wine critic should be a free link: free link. And then several other publications took up the theme and some wrote about how to be more cost conscious (Esther Mobley writes about wine for the SF Chronicle).

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

Any special must do's ?

Thanks
Dave

I've been visiting wine country for at least twice a year for 20 years. What do you want to know?

Some unsolicited advice:

1) The Napa Valley has gone from expensive, to silly expensive, to "I can't afford to do this anymore" expensive. I still love going there. But the amount of places I can afford to visit has dwindled. Oxbow Market, particularly the Fatted Calf; and maybe 20 wine tasting rooms are still on my Napa menu(V. Sattui is the first place I go, every time). I'm not paying $100 for a few ounces of wine, with no way to make the tasting fees disappear with purchase.

2) Sonoma County and particularly the Suisun Valley appellation have prices comparable to what Napa was 20 years ago. I'd stay near one of those areas instead and make forays down/over to Napa. The entire area is lovely.

3) It makes no sense to visit Napa to learn about wine. That's like entering the Indy 500 to learn how to drive. Better to bring an educated palate there and "learn your licks" anywhere else. France, even. When I first started visiting, it was all about the Cabernet Sauvignon for me. 20 years later, I just want a bottle of Old Vine Zinfandel -- I can buy an entire case of first-rate Dry Creek zin for the same as one bottle of Rutherford's finest. And I'll enjoy it more. This is the sort of thing you want to learn before going there, where a 750ml bottle can easily hit four figures and anything hovering around $100 is considered "el cheapo."

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You might want to ask your questions on the TripAdvisor Napa Valley forum. I've been using it to plan for a trip we will be taking in May. Yes, we are spending a lot for our hotel (it was our daughter's pick and she's sharing costs with us). But the room we booked is no longer available and the prices have gone up even from what we paid.

Anyway, the folks there are helpful in terms of where to stay, where to eat, and which wineries to tour.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I've been visiting wine country for at least twice a year for 20 years. What do you want to know?

Some unsolicited advice:

1) The Napa Valley has gone from expensive, to silly expensive, to "I can't afford to do this anymore" expensive. I still love going there. But the amount of places I can afford to visit has dwindled. Oxbow Market, particularly the Fatted Calf; and maybe 20 wine tasting rooms are still on my Napa menu(V. Sattui is the first place I go, every time). I'm not paying $100 for a few ounces of wine, with no way to make the tasting fees disappear with purchase.

2) Sonoma County and particularly the Suisun Valley appellation have prices comparable to what Napa was 20 years ago. I'd stay near one of those areas instead and make forays down/over to Napa. The entire area is lovely.

3) It makes no sense to visit Napa to learn about wine. That's like entering the Indy 500 to learn how to drive. Better to bring an educated palate there and "learn your licks" anywhere else. France, even. When I first started visiting, it was all about the Cabernet Sauvignon for me. 20 years later, I just want a bottle of Old Vine Zinfandel -- I can buy an entire case of first-rate Dry Creek zin for the same as one bottle of Rutherford's finest. And I'll enjoy it more. This is the sort of thing you want to learn before going there, where a 750ml bottle can easily hit four figures and anything hovering around $100 is considered "el cheapo."
I would second Sonoma if Napa is not a must or not worth the financial trade offs. Sonoma is beautiful as well.

Another thing to consider is that Rt. 29 can be a parking lot going through the valley during peak traffic times in peak seasons (harvest etc.)

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Thanks for the advice everyone

Dave

BJRSanDiego