• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Sabal Palms vs Disney Saratoga Springs

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of weeks that pop up for Disney's Saratoga Springs on Interval. I have an exchange for Marriott Sabal Palms with eplus for a Disney and Universal split vacation. I am wondering if its worth switching over to the DVC property to take advantage of the on-site perks Disney offers. I realize the bus situation at DSS can be a con for some, but switching would then eliminate the need to rent a car for the week. We are also doing Universal for 2 days, but we could always Uber it over from DSS. Aside from having to bus to the Disney parks from DSS, is there any other reason why I would want to keep my exchange at the Sabal Palms that I am missing?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is unlikely that you will get a 2BR, so the Palms unit will be quite a bit larger. And, while you can use Disney transportation to get within property, you will still need to get there and back from the airport, as well as back and forth to Universal (twice). A rental car might not be much more expensive, and gives you significantly more control.

It still might be worth trying Saratoga out though. We really like it there. But, when I am staying there I nearly always rent a car.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is unlikely that you will get a 2BR, so the Palms unit will be quite a bit larger. And, while you can use Disney transportation to get within property, you will still need to get there and back from the airport, as well as back and forth to Universal (twice). A rental car might not be much more expensive, and gives you significantly more control.

It still might be worth trying Saratoga out though. We really like it there. But, when I am staying there I nearly always rent a car.
I do not actually need a 2 bedroom, but I will take it if one comes up. I have seen a few.

How much is parking at the parks? I would also have to take that into consideration in the costs of renting a car. Also have to fill the tank when you return the car.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would get Saratoga and still rent the car. There is an extra fee but the savings from it including theme park parking covers it imo. Plus the value of getting early entry every day and late night access to the parks twice in the week is substantial.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's worth noting that Disney charges a $190 fee to exchangers (but you won't have to pay parking, get transportation, etc).

paxlin

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Hacienda Encantada
Marriott Summit Watch
I would get Saratoga and still rent the car. There is an extra fee but the savings from it including theme park parking covers it imo. Plus the value of getting early entry every day and late night access to the parks twice in the week is substantial.
I would also recommend SSR for the after-hour access it gives you. For the early entry it's also nice but you would need to be there at least 30 min before the early entry time to really take advantage of it.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend SSR for the after-hour access it gives you. For the early entry it's also nice but you would need to be there at least 30 min before the early entry time to really take advantage of it.
We are early risers anyways. Last time we went and did the early hours at Epcott we did the entire park by 1:00pm. Its also nice to be able to book the paid LLs at 7:00am as they can sell out by the time off site guests can book.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Parking at WDW parks is $25 a day. Parking at the resort (DSS) would be included and should also get you parking for free at the parks.
So staying as a DVC owner/guest get you free parking at both the resort and the parks? If thats the case then yeah I can totally see why renting a car at DSS would still be worth it.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does.

If you can eplus into a 2BR at Saratoga from Sabal Palms, I would definitely do it, even with the $190 nuisance fee. The resort is quite nice, and while some don't like the location, I like being next door to the various dining options at Disney Springs.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sabal Palms is a great property and I would say the quality of the unit is a step above Saratoga Springs. We have stayed in both and the renovated units at Sabal Palms are very nice. You also have access to the pools and slide tower at the Orlando World Center Marriott hotel. No access to their River Falls waterpark though. You will have to pay for parking at WDW, but would save the $190 nuisance fee that DVC charges II exchangers.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sabal Palms is a great property and I would say the quality of the unit is a step above Saratoga Springs. We have stayed in both and the renovated units at Sabal Palms are very nice. You also have access to the pools and slide tower at the Orlando World Center Marriott hotel. No access to their River Falls waterpark though. You will have to pay for parking at WDW, but would save the $190 nuisance fee that DVC charges II exchangers.

Speaking only for myself the early entry was worth significant money. We were able to do all the ILL rides with minimal waits, and otherwise would have bought ILLs for them. That saved us at least $500.

Obviously that depends on your individual style, whether you'll use it, etc.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Sabal Palms have a queen and a twin in the second bedroom while DSS has 2 queens in the second room? Also DSS has a queen murphy bed whereas the Sabal Palms offers a pull out sofa. May be a smaller unit, but offer more comfortable sleeping at DSS if we want to have another family join us.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Sabal Palms have a queen and a twin in the second bedroom while DSS has 2 queens in the second room? Also DSS has a queen murphy bed whereas the Sabal Palms offers a pull out sofa. May be a smaller unit, but offer more comfortable sleeping at DSS if we want to have another family join us.
You are correct. I was speaking more to the quality of the unit overall rather than the number of sleeping surfaces. That said, while 2BR DSS do show up, they aren't as common and may not be available on the specific dates you want. I wouldn't expect a 2BR at DSS, thus you may be limited to a 1BR that sleeps five.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does.

If you can eplus into a 2BR at Saratoga from Sabal Palms, I would definitely do it, even with the $190 nuisance fee. The resort is quite nice, and while some don't like the location, I like being next door to the various dining options at Disney Springs.
One last question. How many cars can get the free DVC parking at the hotel and parks? Getting 4 adults and 3 kids into one car would be pretty hard. We would need to rent 2 cars.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each driver should have a My Disney Experience identity; as long as that identity is listed as one of the occupants in the room, they can enter the resort gates and park at the theme parks. I *think* that person has to have unlocked the room door with their identity at least once for the identity to open the resort gate.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Sabal, there was a shuttle from the World center to Disney. we didn't rent a car. That means no parking fee either.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
At Sabal, there was a shuttle from the World center to Disney. we didn't rent a car. That means no parking fee either.
I had no idea there was a shuttle. That is pretty convenient.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Huge money saver since rentals expensive these days. It's still there too, had called today as I might go this summer again. You have to pay the world center for the shuttle, when I was there was about the same as Disney parking but no hassles. And no car rental.

i really hate parking at Disney.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Huge money saver since rentals expensive these days. It's still there too, had called today as I might go this summer again. You have to pay the world center for the shuttle, when I was there was about the same as Disney parking but no hassles. And no car rental.

i really hate parking at Disney.
How long ago was this? I beleive they discontinued the shuttle for all but World Center guests during and post Covid.

amyhwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Ko Olina

Stayed at Sabal last year. We used Uber. If there is a shuttle, it‘s either not free or not convenient. Sabal is very close, so about $10 to nearest park.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of clarification points.
1) Disney announced that they would no longer charge for parking at their resorts effective Jan. 10
2) Rental cars are very expensive, however, you can get them daily if you need them. There are many near/at Disney and the World Center. I'd price it out.

My opinion is that SS has way more upside in terms of what you have in terms of things to do. You are a quick walk or boat ride to Disney Springs for lots of dining and entertainment. Same with the other transportation to the Disney resorts and parks. The 1BR at SS is pretty small, but if that doesn't matter then who cares. SS also has a restaurant and quick service options on site and a golf course if that matters. Sabal is fine too, but the "free" access to all of the Disney stuff puts SS ahead IMO. FWIW, staying on site at Universal has a ton of upside also. Check that out even if it is for one night.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
1) Disney announced that they would no longer charge for parking at their resorts effective Jan. 10
The reason parking is being mentioned here is because if you stay offside you still have to pay for parking at the theme parks. The change to no charge for parking was only related to Disney hotel properties. DVC guests and even those II exchanges into DVC didn't have to pay for parking at the resort or the parks. But if one is staying at Sabal Palms and drives to any of the four theme parks, there is a $25 charge to park.