• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why does this make me nervous?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I like my home resort and like that I can internally exchange into Hyatt's in FL and elsewhere with ease, hope that continues... My goal all along was to sell my Hyatt timeshare week when I retire as this is the most expensive MF week that I own. I will still do this but if its drastic changes I might sell a bit earlier than retirement. So happy I own a week and not points...

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Well there’s really nothing appealing in Welk to me. Kind of sad to see the changes. I can’t imagine it will be good. But I like my home proportions- High Sierra and Highlands Inn. So at least we’ll have that!
Another reason to buy legacy and the locations/weeks you want to go to and avoid portfolio.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
How is this different from my current Ownership?/What is changing about my
Ownership?
Will I receive new benefits?/Are any of my current benefits going away?
Owners will still enjoy their current usage options just as they do today, but we expect you will
also soon be able to use Portfolio Points for exciting new exchange opportunities such as
cruises, hotels, and travel experiences through the BEYOND program.

This IMO says the why...sell Portfolio points. I notice they interchange deed week owners and portfolio points members freely and with in the same sentence.
Certainly worth a question to your BOD as to just WHO is footing the bill for the name changes on signage, stationary, etc. This should not be at the expense of the deeded week owners.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Is mgmt going to follow how MVC "integrated" (LOL) Vistana resorts and grandfather only the HPP and direct buy owners? While trying to sell $$$points to resale owners? NOT interested. I did buy my unit for where I want to go. I might want to go at different times of year.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is mgmt going to follow how MVC "integrated" (LOL) Vistana resorts and grandfather only the HPP and direct buy owners? While trying to sell $$$points to resale owners? NOT interested. I did buy my unit for where I want to go. I might want to go at different times of year.
Do pre HRC developer purchase owners have to buy points in order to get into the Portfolio Program, or were they grandfathered in?

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Wonder if they will make the system more user friendly? I would have preferred Hyatt merge with Marriott than Welk as there aren't many Welk resorts I have interest in. We own 3 Hyatts we use exclusively for exchanging so we shall see what the impact is.We still aren't sure of the impact of Marriot and our Westin merging but if the Hyatt merger doesn't work we can always sell and buy more in the Marriott system.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Do pre HPP developer purchase owners have to buy points in order to get into the Portfolio Program, or were they grandfathered in?
I don't know. I guess they were grandfathered in or paid small enrollment fee cause Hyatt had to populate program with more than just their trust points. I think with the Welk owners they got a good sized infusion of points players, that make rollout of Hyatt Vacation Club feasible.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
It was originally Hyatt Vacation Club. Back to the future……

This.

I still call it HVC. Hopefully this means we're finally going to integrate Welk into the system -- as long as the points awarded per week are fair, this would be good for every owner. But if they make Welk Branson "all diamond all the time," not so much.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This.

I still call it HVC. Hopefully this means we're finally going to integrate Welk into the system -- as long as the points awarded per week are fair, this would be good for every owner. But if they make Welk Branson "all diamond all the time," not so much.
Nope. They say in the FAQ you will still need to use II for Welk.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To answer the original question - it SHOULD make you nervous because the changes are usually better for management than for the existing owners. PPP is a prime example.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

That's a shame. It's crystal clear that Marriott's only interest is selling the same resorts over and over. Great short-term strategy, I suppose. I don't think it's going to work out for them long-term, though.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
The real advantage to a non-deeded trust system for management is the off season weeks are included. They don't have to try and sell those as they are wrapped in. So with owners it eventually can become a bit of musical chairs - unless the resort is popular all year long ,

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The real advantage to a non-deeded trust system for management is the off season weeks are included. They don't have to try and sell those as they are wrapped in. So with owners it eventually can become a bit of musical chairs - unless the resort is popular all year long ,
Yep, which means the points owners have a more difficult time getting availability when they want it. I saw a post just the other day about DRI and how the owner hated it because they can never get the dates and locations they want. I see that a little bit with Worldmark.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
So what is different except the name? Is priority new in interval for Welk or has that already been in place?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a shame. It's crystal clear that Marriott's only interest is selling the same resorts over and over. Great short-term strategy, I suppose. I don't think it's going to work out for them long-term, though.
Actually, Marriott Vacations recently sent out surveys to MVC and VSE owners asking where they'd like to see new properties.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So what is different except the name? Is priority new in interval for Welk or has that already been in place?
No priority that I am aware of, but there is a discounted exchange fee for Walk to Hyatt and Hyatt to Welk exchanges.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No priority that I am aware of, but there is a discounted exchange fee for Walk to Hyatt and Hyatt to Welk exchanges.
I am almost certain that priority does exist for Hyatt with viewing Welk (and vice versa) as well as the discounted exchange fee.

I was able to see some Welk Northstar weeks for summer of 2023 before they were available to the rest of Hyatt.

I should have posted a sighting, but I kind of forgot about it until I saw the sighting later.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Do pre HRC developer purchase owners have to buy points in order to get into the Portfolio Program, or were they grandfathered in?

I only own resale weeks but no one needs to be grandfathered in to use the Portfolio program. In any given year, you can use your owned week (or part thereof), or turn your week into Hyatt Residence/Vacation Club. Once you give use of your week over to Hyatt, they give you points and you can spend those points in HRC/HVC, Portfolio or in II. The differences when using in HRC/HVC vs Portfolio have to do with waitlists and booking windows and some fees.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I only own resale weeks but no one needs to be grandfathered in to use the Portfolio program. In any given year, you can use your owned week (or part thereof), or turn your week into Hyatt Residence/Vacation Club. Once you give use of your week over to Hyatt, they give you points and you can spend those points in HRC/HVC, Portfolio or in II. The differences when using in HRC/HVC vs Portfolio have to do with waitlists and booking windows and some fees.
Here is the section from the Club to Club agreement. In the owner updates when they are pushing HPC, they constantly say that HRC has a shrinking inventory opportunity as owners convert to HPC. I assume this is limited to their Trust Priority Period. Is that the same timeframe as HRC's HRPP?

1674169242555.png

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am almost certain that priority does exist for Hyatt with viewing Welk (and vice versa) as well as the discounted exchange fee.

I was able to see some Welk Northstar weeks for summer of 2023 before they were available to the rest of Hyatt.

I should have posted a sighting, but I kind of forgot about it until I saw the sighting later.
I do beleive that the II buyer's guide for Welk and the one for Hyatt would spell out any preference period. Here is what the Marriott one says;

In addition to the priorities noted in Week-Based Exchange Method, Paragraph 9, priority in the exchange confirmation process is provided as follows:
(a) Club Program Members and Individual Members are afforded a priority over Other II Members when requesting an exchange to MVCI Resorts and other Member Resorts that are owned, marketed, and/or managed in common with the MVCI Resorts.
(b) Individual Members requesting an exchange to the MVCI Resort at which they own a Vacation Interest will receive priority over Club Program Members and other Individual Members who do not own a Vacation Interest at such MVCI Resort.

Guitarmom

Reaction score
I looked at the Welk list and thought, "Zero of these locations are of interest to me EXCEPT for San Diego." Until I looked into where Escondido was. 18 miles inland, 30 miles northeast of San Diego, 100 miles south of Los Angeles.

Why would I want to go there? Well inland California. I can tell you from having been stationed in 29 Palms, California that you really don't want to vacation anywhere in that state where you won't have ocean breezes.
I hope you don't mind if I clear up a few things in your post. I live really close to The Welk in Escondido. The weather is MUCH, MUCH nicer than 29 Palms. We have a marine influence that keeps our temperatures moderate and, in fact, we sometimes have better weather than the coast. We're often sunny when the coast is fogged in. I'm not saying the weather is perfect, but it should not be compared to 29 Palms; I completely agree with you about the weather there. And, by the way, San Diego is a sprawling city. While the center of San Diego is probably 30 miles south of the center of Escondido, the northern border of San Diego actually is Escondido.

Huskerpaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BoardWalk Villas, MVC Grande Vista & Willow Ridge, WorldMark
I see that a little bit with Worldmark.
WorldMark is a pure credits system and has been since like 1991, so there is lots of competition for popular resorts like summer at the Oregon and Washington coasts, but everyone is in the same position trying to get reservations at 13 months at all WM resorts.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark is a pure credits system and has been since like 1991, so there is lots of competition for popular resorts like summer at the Oregon and Washington coasts, but everyone is in the same position trying to get reservations at 13 months at all WM resorts.
Right. My point was that HPC, like WM, owners can have trouble getting what they want, where with HRC HRPP, you have first choice with your home resort. if you buy where you love to go with HRC you have an advantage over pure point/credit systems.

Guitarmom

Reaction score
Your list has 20 names. Their email indicated "20 plus" resorts.
The last line of the list has two separate resorts listed. That makes 21 resorts, so I suppose the email's "20 plus" isn't inaccurate, only misleading. It also gets confusing because "The Welk, San Diego Area" has historically been considered three separate resorts, but now may be considered one resort with three flavors.

cfabar1

Reaction score
In the owner updates when they are pushing HPC, they constantly say that HRC has a shrinking inventory opportunity as owners convert to HPC.
This is their end goal… To make the resale points so unattractive. For most people a true “fixed week” is just not viable… Something happens one year or another… your daughter is getting married, your family reunion is happening, your employer needs you for a big exciting project, and now you can’t go that week. You want to exchange your week, and suddenly discover the weeks you want to exchange it to everybody else wants too, and fewer and fewer points are available to you.

MVC is a really shady company. Sleazy people. I do not trust them, and will not be buying into their program with Hyatt, as much as I love Bonita Springs… I’ll pay cash when I go.