• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I’m an idiot - rescinding limitless/Vidanta timeshare

Zjmoore

Reaction score
Long story short - got back from 12 nights in Mexico and was checking over my statements and such when I saw the charge from a day where I and my sig other can’t even remember (it was our first vacay in 5 years so we went way too hard).

come to find out I spent 10k at a Vidanta on a 10 year timeshare (Jesus Christ) in October 3rd

I have the documents sent to me but I can’t even login to see the t&c which I’m assuming has rescinding rules on it. 2500 went on my credit card which I can dispute with chase and apparently I got aBarclays rci card and threw the other 7500 on it.

any ideas on how to approach this? I’ve never done anything this stupid in my life. I remember walking down the boardwalk and looking around hotels and then waking up like 2 am but it’s a blur. No mas cervesa for a long time.

Thanks

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately you only have 5 days to rescind a Timeshare purchased in Mexico. My guess is that you now own it if it occurred more than 5 days ago.....

Zjmoore

Reaction score
Unfortunately you only have 5 days to rescind a Timeshare purchased in Mexico. My guess is that you now own it if it occurred more than 5 days ago.....

Brutal - actions of recourse? I can hire a lawyer and try to loop it through a fee or such but I came here first.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
My opinion? You'd likely be wasting your hard earned money by hiring a Lawyer. And, I don't think you want a USA Lawyer to handle a Mexican issue. Just my opinion.

Find ways to make use of your purchase. Others will recommend that you just walk away but you'll be out your DP (down payment).

You may want to try to raise heck with your Credit Card Company and tell them you don't want it but I am not sure if they will agree.

Best of luck!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can hire a lawyer...

That's one of the last things we recommend here on TUG. What's a lawyer going to do for you? The company with which you dealt might have done something sleazy and underhanded but did nothing illegal. Sadly, there are many lawyers and law firms out there that claim they can "cancel" your purchase or sue the TS company (or its sales people) but they just collect big upfront fees and do nothing for you that you can't do yourself.

You can try sending your letter of rescission. At this point, it won't hurt to try.

Next question to determine what your next best course of action is: How much did you pay? How much have you already paid? How much more do you owe?

But again, don't hire any of these law firms or other companies that claim they can get you out of your TS or sue the parties involved.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I believe even in Mexico you can be too drunk to legally sign a contract. The sales dept is going to have employees sign affidavits that you did not seem intoxicated and seemed perfectly capable of understanding the contract plus will provide the credit card companies with the copies of the signed documents. They aren't going to simply not respond to your disputes and will provide the documents that show that you legally entered into a contract to pay and did not rescind in the allowed time.

Do you have videos on your phone of the day you signed both before and after the tour and even better during the tour showing that you were obviously drunk? That is likely the minimum proof that you will need to get out of it. If you have that then you can try without an attorney and then go with an attorney if that doesn't work but it will likely cost more than a thousand to hire one and the outcome won't be guaranteed.

Zjmoore

Reaction score
I believe even in Mexico you can be too drunk to legally sign a contract. The sales dept is going to have employees sign affidavits that you did not seem intoxicated and seemed perfectly capable of understanding the contract plus will provide the credit card companies with the copies of the signed documents. They aren't going to simply not respond to your disputes and will provide the documents that show that you legally entered into a contract to pay and did not rescind in the allowed time.

Do you have videos on your phone of the day you signed both before and after the tour and even better during the tour showing that you were obviously drunk? That is likely the minimum proof that you will need to get out of it. If you have that then you can try without an attorney and then go with an attorney if that doesn't work but it will likely cost more than a thousand to hire one and the outcome won't be guaranteed.
We have plenty of photos and vids drinking and eating every day but thank you so much for this! I’ll look back at them!

Zjmoore

Reaction score
That's one of the last things we recommend here on TUG. What's a lawyer going to do for you? The company with which you dealt might have done something sleazy and underhanded but did nothing illegal. Sadly, there are many lawyers and law firms out there that claim they can "cancel" your purchase or sue the TS company (or its sales people) but they just collect big upfront fees and do nothing for you that you can't do yourself.

You can try sending your letter of rescission. At this point, it won't hurt to try.

Next question to determine what your next best course of action is: How much did you pay? How much have you already paid? How much more do you owe?

But again, don't hire any of these law firms or other companies that claim they can get you out of your TS or sue the parties involved.

Thank you for the response. I’ve written out a template rescission letter but was really hoping to login and see these terms and conditions so I can accurately address them.

so far I have 2400 on my cc and 7500 on a rci card. I haven’t paid anything else but my dignity

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Long story short - got back from 12 days in Mexico......... I saw the charge from a day where I and my sig other can’t even remember (it was our first vacay in 5 years so we went way too hard)............

come to find out I spent 10k at a Vidanta on a 10 year timeshare (Jesus Christ) in October 3rd

No mas cervesa for a long time.

Thanks

Welcome to TUG / Timeshare Users Group
Your 6 days past the cancel deadline.

Read your contract or call Vidanta Member Services and ask for a copy.
I think you actually paid $ 10 K for a vacation club that will give you access to Vidanta (as a full ownership with registered weeks would be more $$)
Here is a link to a TUG thread Limitless Vacations.

In my opinion it is very likely - "You bought it / You own it."
- if the credit card dispute option is ineffective -your choices are ;learn how to get value via some future vacations ;or consider it $ 10 K down the drain.
You could choose not to pay the credit cards and suffer the credit hit consequences. There is no deed - so no foreclosure.

PS - Vidanta has great resorts

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You have to be given paper copies of the complete contract but since you can't remember the day you could easily have taken them and put them down/thrown them away. The terms and conditions are you have 5 days to rescind after signing.

Good luck.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I agree with T-Dot-Traveller - it is a vacation club exit program.

Real Vidanta timeshare contracts are significantly more than the $10,000 you paid. You would have several packets of documents if it was a timeshare now.

You could call Member Services and see if they can cancel it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I could be wrong about this but if you got down to negotiating what is considered their exit package, they could argue you were sober enough to negotiate and say no to all their initial offers. I wonder how you got out of their starting offer of an over $100,000 timeshare and got down to a $10,000 exit package.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Long story short - got back from 12 nights in Mexico and was checking over my statements and such when I saw the charge from a day where I and my sig other can’t even remember (it was our first vacay in 5 years so we went way too hard).

I have the documents sent to me but I can’t even login to see the t&c which I’m assuming has rescinding rules on it. 2500 went on my credit card which I can dispute with chase and apparently I got aBarclays rci card and threw the other 7500 on it.

any ideas on how to approach this? I’ve never done anything this stupid in my life. I remember walking down the boardwalk and looking around hotels and then waking up like 2 am but it’s a blur. No mas cervesa for a long time.

Thanks

Barclays Bank credit cards charges can be disputed for 120 days. If you were drinking and don't remember this transaction then dispute the charges and let Vidanta know that you will contact the FTC and file a fraud claim because they purposely over served you alcohol to sell a timeshare. If you have pictures of the beverages served at the presentation that would be proof. Vidanta doesn't want this type of publicity and will likely help you to keep their name out of this, imo.

Bill

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
It's been a while since I've seen anyone do this, but the timeshare sellers used to cancel contracts after a buyer with remorse told them they'd go on all the social media sites they could find and tell people exactly what had happened to them (i.e. they got me drunk and took advantage of me). They'd make you sign a non-disclosure agreement and delete any posts you'd made, but would cancel the contract and refund any monies paid. As I've said - it's been a while since I've seen anyone do this, so perhaps they've decided they don't care about negative press anymore. Still worth a shot if the other routes don't work.