• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Residence Clu

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
That's 100% correct.

But I'll add that if you're using your week correctly, it will pay for itself so many times over that when you're done with it, you could give away for free and walk away, content that you got your money's worth.

Even a bronze 1300 point week is enough to get 2 or 3 weeks each year. It all boils down to flexibility. The family of six who wants to ski Christmas week every year is going to need far more points than the couple who doesn't care where they go and can stay in studios.
True, if you think you've gotten value, it's easy to offer a unit for free.
When we're done/too old for traveling and timesharing, we hope to either sell or give away our timeshares.
My Hyatt platinum unit should be pretty easy to sell. However I fear my Vistana Orlando unit will be very difficult to even give away. At our update mtg a couple of months ago, a Vistana (now Marriott) sales manager said they wouldn't even take my Orlando unit as a deed back. Management doesn't want to carry
MF on those lower demand weeks which are also difficult to sell. They'd rather owners like us keep paying those MFs. They might take back tho' a developer bought week at the same resort, go figure...

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure it was mentioned - but if your heart is set on staying at Sunset Harbor when in Key West, you may want to try and purchase resale there. It will cost more and the MFs will be higher - but it is in Old Town and you can walk everywhere. But that would need to be your main place to go.

If you are good with being at Windward Pointe or Beach House you can take a shot at booking Sunset Harbor and those are your backups. As others have said, you can buy for points and own were MFs are more reasonable. I also recommend Coconut Plantation in Bonita Springs if you like a chill spot - you have access to a private beach but it takes time (via trolley and boat but the boat is great and chairs provided). Carmel should be workable also.

If you buy a deeded unit I think you will realize a lot of savings over the years traveling to Key West, Bonita Springs and Carmel.

Most Hyatt Residence club owners (deeded) are happy and would tell you the HPP system you were sold is a disaster. Glad you recinded. Good luck on finding TUG !

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Not sure it was mentioned - but if your heart is set on staying at Sunset Harbor when in Key West, you may want to try and purchase resale there. It will cost more and the MFs will be higher - but it is in Old Town and you can walk everywhere. But that would need to be your main place to go.

As we have learned from the Sunset Harbor/MVC debacle, fees are about to go way up there.

People need to be honest with themselves "how often will I want to stay in the unit I own?" If the answer is all the time, most of the time, half of the time, or even one-quarter of the time -- then I agree, buy something that will be used. But I have seen so many people buy a trader and then plex-out about what they're buying. "But it's not on the third floor with the nicest view!"

To wit, I answer, "Are you really that concerned about the comfort of the person who trades into your unit every year?"

If someone isn't going to use what they have -- and instead leverage it for points each year, get the least expensive week with the least expensive fees for enough points to cover what they want to do. Yes, Diamond is the best bang for the buck -- but it isn't going to do anything for someone who can only take a week off each year and is buying to trade into an Interval two bedroom.

As always, it's the Joe Jackson song -- you can't get what you want until you know what you want.

mimi598

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Charter Club, DVC, Hyatt Windward Pointe
Jumping in super late in this discussion sorry! But I was glad I found it when I did. We just bought a winter week at WP...love it there and are super happy with our purchase, plan to use it every year. Now we've been considering another time we could go and have settled on the fall. Here's my question...an owner offered me his week for free (just pay closing costs/transfer fee) but it's for late August. We don't think we'd go then and originally I was just thinking I'd trade the points to go another time. Now after reading this forum, it hit me that I'd be paying the same maintenance fees for that week (1400 points) as I'm paying for my March week (2200 points). Suddenly the free week isn't sounding as appealing. So would everyone suggest I say no thanks, and find a week we'd plan to use? If I bought say week 46, is it tough to book week 45 instead if we wanted a different time? We're brand new owners, literally just received the deed this past week, so no experience with Hyatt timeshare. Thanks for any advice! **One last question...at WP, what's the check-in day? Is it Saturday? Sunday? Keep reading different dates and the seller wasn't sure either...thanks!

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jumping in super late in this discussion sorry! But I was glad I found it when I did. We just bought a winter week at WP...love it there and are super happy with our purchase, plan to use it every year. Now we've been considering another time we could go and have settled on the fall. Here's my question...an owner offered me his week for free (just pay closing costs/transfer fee) but it's for late August. We don't think we'd go then and originally I was just thinking I'd trade the points to go another time. Now after reading this forum, it hit me that I'd be paying the same maintenance fees for that week (1400 points) as I'm paying for my March week (2200 points). Suddenly the free week isn't sounding as appealing. So would everyone suggest I say no thanks, and find a week we'd plan to use? If I bought say week 46, is it tough to book week 45 instead if we wanted a different time? We're brand new owners, literally just received the deed this past week, so no experience with Hyatt timeshare. Thanks for any advice! **One last question...at WP, what's the check-in day? Is it Saturday? Sunday? Keep reading different dates and the seller wasn't sure either...thanks!
Why not get another diamond week?

Trading into any week in the fall is not difficult (I think except for fantasy fest -- but if you plan for that, it's doable.

Check in day depends on what is on the deed.

Good luck!

mimi598

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why not get another diamond week?

Trading into any week in the fall is not difficult (I think except for fantasy fest -- but if you plan for that, it's doable.

Check in day depends on what is on the deed.

Good luck!
I did think of another diamond week but those are exclusively in the winter and early spring. We'll be there the last week of March so don't really want another week around that time. I know it's a better value for the maintenance fees but what I'd pay upfront (and not wanting to use the entire 2200 points in the fall), I don't think that would make sense for us. We weren't planning to go during Fantasy Fest...probably first or second week of November. Glad to hear it's not tough to book. I did check my deed and there's nothing on it that gives my check-in day...previous owner said he only owned it for a short time and never stayed there so he wasn't sure either. If I contact Hyatt, would they be able to tell me? Thanks so much!

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did think of another diamond week but those are exclusively in the winter and early spring. We'll be there the last week of March so don't really want another week around that time. I know it's a better value for the maintenance fees but what I'd pay upfront (and not wanting to use the entire 2200 points in the fall), I don't think that would make sense for us. We weren't planning to go during Fantasy Fest...probably first or second week of November. Glad to hear it's not tough to book. I did check my deed and there's nothing on it that gives my check-in day...previous owner said he only owned it for a short time and never stayed there so he wasn't sure either. If I contact Hyatt, would they be able to tell me? Thanks so much!
You are right. I just checked my Windward Pointe deed and it isn't actually on the deed. It must be associated with the unit number.

I logged into my account and can see my "Ownership Week". It shows the dates of my next HRPP usage. It's always been a Sunday for me and I know that the check in date is fixed.

If the old owner still has access to their online account I am certain they could look that up.

You may consider purchasing a gold and above week at a different Hyatt resort if you are looking at trading in.

mimi598

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are right. I just checked my Windward Pointe deed and it isn't actually on the deed. It must be associated with the unit number.

I logged into my account and can see my "Ownership Week". It shows the dates of my next HRPP usage. It's always been a Sunday for me and I know that the check in date is fixed.

If the old owner still has access to their online account I am certain they could look that up.

You may consider purchasing a gold and above week at a different Hyatt resort if you are looking at trading in.
Thank you! LT Transfers said it'll be 6-8 weeks until Hyatt enters us in the system so I'll check once I have access. I did message the owner who tried checking but no luck. Really more just curious because I see sales with different check-in days and I thought all resorts had the same day (like another resort where we just purchased). I'm really not hoping to trade my weeks too often...possibly one week in November for another. I guess gold is probably the lowest I should purchase though? Going to start looking at what's available.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! LT Transfers said it'll be 6-8 weeks until Hyatt enters us in the system so I'll check once I have access. I did message the owner who tried checking but no luck. Really more just curious because I see sales with different check-in days and I thought all resorts had the same day (like another resort where we just purchased). I'm really not hoping to trade my weeks too often...possibly one week in November for another. I guess gold is probably the lowest I should purchase though? Going to start looking at what's available.
Good luck!

Remember -- Maintenance fees are getting finalized and you may see a lot more options come online in the next few weeks.

I think it's smart to pick a week that you would be happy using (Most of the weeks that I own can be used in the summer since we are tied to a school schedule for the next 13 years.

However, we have yet to use our deeded week (but a couple of times we traded in during our deeded week -- whoops!).

mimi598

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good luck!

Remember -- Maintenance fees are getting finalized and you may see a lot more options come online in the next few weeks.

I think it's smart to pick a week that you would be happy using (Most of the weeks that I own can be used in the summer since we are tied to a school schedule for the next 13 years.

However, we have yet to use our deeded week (but a couple of times we traded in during our deeded week -- whoops!).
You're right...I should wait before deciding, good idea thank you!! My kids are almost out of school which is why we're starting to look at traveling more often and not in the summer always. I did remember the maintenance fees were about to be finalized so waiting is a great idea. Have a good day and thank you for the advice! :)

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

A few thoughts. As you are finding out, “free” is not always a good deal. It might not be a bad deal though. One way to think about an acquisition is to take the purchase price plus the maintenance fees (or projected maintenance fees) for the time period you would like to hold the property, add up the total number of points for the number of years, then divide the total cost by the number of points. For example, if you owned the 1400 point free unit for two years, that would be apx $3200 / 2800 points = $1.14 per point. Let’s say you find a 2200 point unit with a purchase price of $5000, intend to hold for a decade, that would be $5000 purchase plus $16000 maintenance fees (assuming zero inflation, which we all know is unrealistic, but trying to make a simple example) = $21000 / 22000 points = 95¢ per point. That is a better value. However, let’s say you hold both for two years, then it‘s ($5000+$3200)/4400= $1.86 per point, a much worse deal. So, length of time you hold the property has a big impact on your decision. You mentioned that your kiddos will soon be out of the house. Will you and your spouse travel more (requiring more points)? Will you want to have your adult kiddos join you… with their families as life happens (requiring larger units / more points)?

There is also the possibility you might like another property in the system, or a specific event week. I am a big proponent of buying where you want to stay. Some properties are harder to get into, particularly during specific weeks. For example, week 52 at a ski property, you will probably need to own that. To a lesser extent, Fantasy Fest week… you might be able to trade in with advanced planning, or if you know you want to be there that specific week for that event, you might consider buying it. Easier to trade the desirable week into points for use elsewhere than to turn points into the desirable week.

Last, due to specific fiscal actions combined with some geopolitical events, our economy is going into some disruptive times (inflation, recession, stagflation). Maintenance fees will increase, when looking at family finances a timeshare is a luxury item easily dispensed, I believe we will see more unit weeks for sale and reduced prices for these units over the next two years… starting when folks start receiving this years maintenance fees.

I can only speak for myself when I was in your position. We bought our first unit/week and then spent two years learning the Hyatt system. Over that time learned how things work and stayed at multiple properties, and looked for a really good deal. We decided to buy another unit at a different property with higher maintenance fees than our first unit because we liked that property, specific unit, and specific week.

Good luck and Welcome to Hyatt and TUG. This place is a massive resource with lots of very helpful folks.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
o a lesser extent, Fantasy Fest week… you might be able to trade in with advanced planning, or if you know you want to be there that specific week for that event, you might consider buying it. Easier to trade the desirable week into points for use elsewhere than to turn points into the desirable week.

Fantasy Fest is one of two weeks. 45/46? It's been awhile since I thought about FF. We had a list of which it fell on for the next 25 years. And it's about even. Our recommendation (of course it was) was to buy both and trade one out every year.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Is FF still a silver week? That's criminally negligent if so. It should at least be gold. I get it that it's at the tail end of hurricane season. But considering the price of hotels that week, it wouldn't be unfair for it to be Diamond on the years that it turns out to be FF and Silver on the off years. (Which is why I'd average them out to Gold.)

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is FF still a silver week? That's criminally negligent if so. It should at least be gold. I get it that it's at the tail end of hurricane season. But considering the price of hotels that week, it wouldn't be unfair for it to be Diamond on the years that it turns out to be FF and Silver on the off years. (Which is why I'd average them out to Gold.)
46 is gold, 47 is platinum

mimi598

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few thoughts. As you are finding out, “free” is not always a good deal. It might not be a bad deal though. One way to think about an acquisition is to take the purchase price plus the maintenance fees (or projected maintenance fees) for the time period you would like to hold the property, add up the total number of points for the number of years, then divide the total cost by the number of points. For example, if you owned the 1400 point free unit for two years, that would be apx $3200 / 2800 points = $1.14 per point. Let’s say you find a 2200 point unit with a purchase price of $5000, intend to hold for a decade, that would be $5000 purchase plus $16000 maintenance fees (assuming zero inflation, which we all know is unrealistic, but trying to make a simple example) = $21000 / 22000 points = 95¢ per point. That is a better value. However, let’s say you hold both for two years, then it‘s ($5000+$3200)/4400= $1.86 per point, a much worse deal. So, length of time you hold the property has a big impact on your decision. You mentioned that your kiddos will soon be out of the house. Will you and your spouse travel more (requiring more points)? Will you want to have your adult kiddos join you… with their families as life happens (requiring larger units / more points)?

There is also the possibility you might like another property in the system, or a specific event week. I am a big proponent of buying where you want to stay. Some properties are harder to get into, particularly during specific weeks. For example, week 52 at a ski property, you will probably need to own that. To a lesser extent, Fantasy Fest week… you might be able to trade in with advanced planning, or if you know you want to be there that specific week for that event, you might consider buying it. Easier to trade the desirable week into points for use elsewhere than to turn points into the desirable week.

Last, due to specific fiscal actions combined with some geopolitical events, our economy is going into some disruptive times (inflation, recession, stagflation). Maintenance fees will increase, when looking at family finances a timeshare is a luxury item easily dispensed, I believe we will see more unit weeks for sale and reduced prices for these units over the next two years… starting when folks start receiving this years maintenance fees.

I can only speak for myself when I was in your position. We bought our first unit/week and then spent two years learning the Hyatt system. Over that time learned how things work and stayed at multiple properties, and looked for a really good deal. We decided to buy another unit at a different property with higher maintenance fees than our first unit because we liked that property, specific unit, and specific week.

Good luck and Welcome to Hyatt and TUG. This place is a massive resource with lots of very helpful folks.
Lots of good advice thank you! Yes I plan to hold onto the week for a long time...I've been a DVC owner for 21 years and my kids are older now and rarely want to go and I still have no desire to sell lol. My husband and I, for the first time in forever, won't be held to the school calendar so we want to start traveling more to places we enjoy, and Key West is our top place to visit. No FF for us lol...I was thinking of November for the weather only (plus we travel at Christmas to see our daughter who lives out of state now so don't know if I'd want to be gone early/mid December as well).

I have started looking at the other Hyatt properties and can easily see us visiting Lake Tahoe (although I heard it's tough to get into one of those properties in the summer), Arizona, Carmel. I thought if I purchased another week at least gold but preferably platinum or diamond, I could use those points to trade some years. Or possibly looking to purchase another 2 weeks, one for the week I want in KW (gold) and one diamond to use for trading. I did decide to maybe wait a little longer to see if more properties start to be listed...I haven't found exactly what I want and realize I need to find it and not just settle.

I'm learning the program as I go...feel like the more I read and research (especially on TUG from awesome owners like you!), the more I learn. We haven't gotten our login info from Hyatt yet...not-so-patiently waiting for it lol. I'd like a chance to learn the system but it sounds like I may have another 2 months until everything is completed even though we closed and I have the new deed in our name.

Thank you for the advice and the way you laid it out...realized it makes much more sense for us to purchase a higher point deed because we'll have it for a long, long time.

mimi598

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
46 is gold, 47 is platinum
So week 47 is FF? I don't think that would be a time we'd want to travel although I'd like platinum...

mimi598

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fantasy Fest is one of two weeks. 45/46? It's been awhile since I thought about FF. We had a list of which it fell on for the next 25 years. And it's about even. Our recommendation (of course it was) was to buy both and trade one out every year.
I thought of buying both weeks 44 and 45 and using whichever one fell during Veteran's Day

ScoopKona

Reaction score
So week 47 is FF? I don't think that would be a time we'd want to travel although I'd like platinum...

Sapper corrected me: 46/47. One or the other. And it's not alternating. It can be 46 two or three years in a row, and then 47 a couple years, and then alternate.

FF for locals is loads and loads and loads of naughty fun. I can't imagine being a tourist for FF. Locals bounce from party to party to party -- no worries about securing reservations and similar.

I always said, "Key West -- It's a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there."

sctug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancel ASAP.

Research.

Buy resale.

What you bought has zero resale value. Once you are past rescission period, your $29,000 becomes zero.
I noticed that some resale value is more expensive than buy directly from resort.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Skimming through this thread ...

I'm not a Hyatt owner so I'm seldom in this forum, and know almost nothing about the Hyatt program. But from my quick read, I came away with the thought that you might want to look at some other timeshare systems to see how they match up with your needs and interests. I wouldn't assume a priori that Hyatt is best option without doing some wider investigation.

TUGgers will gladly offer advice how to find timeshare options that match up with your needs and interests. That's probably what we do best.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We love Hyatt because of how far the points go. It is a great value especiallywhen trading into interval. I recommend at minimum a 2000 pt unit. Pinon Pointe is a great trader as fees are lower than elsewhere . We bought 2 weeks in Sedona, then a week in Key West. Beware of hurricanes in Florida which could result in extra fees down the road in the form of assessments. We have managed to get into Hawaii yearly with waitlisting but it is difficult. Because of this we bought a unit in Vistana at Kierland and so far seem to have no difficulty exchanging into Hawaii. That could change though so I'd have to agree with travelhacker to wait until the dust settles with the Marriott/Vistana integration.