• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchange Interval for DVC

jojuvan

Reaction score
Why not just buy resale DVC points? Why go through the hassle of having to trade and worry about what happens in the future between II and DVC?
COST! DVC resale is very expensive. you can get a nice timeshare package for a few hundred or less resale.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
COST! DVC resale is very expensive. you can get a nice timeshare package for a few hundred or less resale.

Have you looked into any Marriott resales in the Orlando area? You would not be able to trade into DVC because of the regional block, but you would still be able to trade to other Marriott's while owning in Orlando close to Disney.

jojuvan

Reaction score
Have you looked into any Marriott resales in the Orlando area? You would not be able to trade into DVC because of the regional block, but you would still be able to trade to other Marriott's while owning in Orlando close to Disney.
We own Wyndham points so we often will stay at Bonnet Creek using those. Staying in Orlando is fine, but we were spoiled with the ability to trade into RCI for a 1 bedroom DVC for a small about of Wyndham points. I'm looking for a cost effective way to continue to trade for DVC. The Interval system and resorts seems much more confusing than Wyndham and RCI!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
For booking Disney, you can buy a summer season SBP or a 1-52 SDO and get the Disney resorts. That's working FOR NOW. But honestly, don't work too hard at getting something to trade into Disney because things do change with trading power.

What I want is some more 2 bedrooms at SBP, 9-43 and 47.

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
I was able to make an exchange into a 2bd at Disney Saratoga Springs for Jan 2023, this morning. First time for us here; haven’t been to a Disney park since 2010. Does anyone know if there is a restriction on getting another unit using a second deposit? There is another 2bd for the same week, and I might see if the whole family wants to go.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Agreed - I have been able to go to DW exchanging in II and RCI with my non branded weeks that cost me pennies to purchase and a fraction of ownership cost. If I can't get secure the week I want every now and then, no big thing, I'm more than happy to take an Orlando Marriott as exchange or usually getaway.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to make an exchange into a 2bd at Disney Saratoga Springs for Jan 2023, this morning. First time for us here; haven’t been to a Disney park since 2010. Does anyone know if there is a restriction on getting another unit using a second deposit? There is another 2bd for the same week, and I might see if the whole family wants to go.
[/QUOT

Should not be an issue - you would just need to add a guest cert.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We own Wyndham points so we often will stay at Bonnet Creek using those. Staying in Orlando is fine, but we were spoiled with the ability to trade into RCI for a 1 bedroom DVC for a small about of Wyndham points. I'm looking for a cost effective way to continue to trade for DVC. The Interval system and resorts seems much more confusing than Wyndham and RCI!
I have not ever gotten a Wyndham RCI DVC exchange, but maybe it's because I need a 2 bedroom in the summer

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Nothing as of yet. I did lots of research on interval and I left even more confused on how to get a resale contract that is of enough value to trade in for dvc. In the meantime I'm still seeing dvc availability though January 2023 in rci, so I'm hoping there will be some in March when we are looking to go!

Buy a Hyatt bronze week, and you'll have enough points to get a two bedroom anywhere in Interval. It's worked like that for decades. If you want to buy something to trade in Interval, that's the route to go.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I would absolutely not buy a trader exclusively to trade into DVC … especially for 2BR usage.

There were years that little to no 2BRs were available in RCI.

It is too odd of a time in timeshare exchanging to buy traders based only on what trades have looked like in 2022.

Buy a Hyatt bronze week, and you'll have enough points to get a two bedroom anywhere in Interval. It's worked like that for decades. If you want to buy something to trade in Interval, that's the route to go.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I would absolutely not buy a trader exclusively to trade into DVC … especially for 2BR usage.

There were years that little to no 2BRs were available in RCI.

It is too odd of a time in timeshare exchanging to buy traders based only on what trades have looked like in 2022.

I see DVC inventory all the time. Hyatt is a solid Interval trader. And a Bronze Hyatt week gets any 2bd. Or a 1bd and a studio. Or three studios.

Hyatt doesn't work like other timeshare system. It just doesn't.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any points-based system can pull anything in II--it's just a question of how many points. The same was true in RCI. But, the more important point is that you can't exchange for something that is never deposited. DVC owners do not reserve and deposit specific weeks, only generic points. DVC's management company then has the freedom to choose what gets deposited when. DVC never deposited 2BRs into RCI for several years in a row*. The pump-priming deposits in II were all SSR 1BRs with Friday check-ins for three or four months solid, from June through September.

However, so far, it looks like they are depositing some 2BRs into II for some low-demand weeks at low-demand resorts. Will that continue? Who knows. If you need a 2BR and are able to be very very flexible about when you go, you've got a fighting chance. But, there's also a chance DVC's deposit pattern reverts to what it was with RCI, and the 2BRs disappear.

I've been exchanging into DVC for a long time now, dating back to the last time they were with II in the mid-00's. I don't think I've gone more than two years in a row using the same strategy. If you only have one strategy, that's going to get awkward quickly. And that's why I stand by the advice I have up-thread, which was:
Buying anything with the intention to trade into the same high-demand resort system/area regularly is a recipe for eventual disappointment.

If on the other hand you need more timeshares *and* you want to try II in general, that might make more sense.

--------------------
*: Yes I know about Welk.. That was some side arrangement that no one else had access to.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I see DVC inventory all the time. Hyatt is a solid Interval trader. And a Bronze Hyatt week gets any 2bd. Or a 1bd and a studio. Or three studios.

Hyatt doesn't work like other timeshare system. It just doesn't.

You can have the best trader on Earth and if DVC is not depositing 2BRs into II, you are not going to have a trade match for one. It is only in recent times (maybe a 1-year period in this odd time) that DVC 2 BRs have been showing up on II or RCI for exchange.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any points-based system can pull anything in II-
It occurs to me that this is less true in II than it was in RCI because of resort-system preference. For example, a points-based trader might have a hard time in some high-season/high-demand Marriott resorts unless it also has Marriott preference.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
You can have the best trader on Earth and if DVC is not depositing 2BRs into II, you are not going to have a trade match for one. It is only in recent times (maybe a 1-year period in this odd time) that DVC 2 BRs have been showing up on II or RCI for exchange.

Of course that's the case. But if I recall correctly, OP wants 1bd, anyway. The point is that a 1300 Hyatt week will get anything up to a 2 bedroom. And if trading down in size, multiple weeks each year. If she gets a 1bd Disney Week, she'll have enough left over for a studio week elsewhere. Or if Disney doesn't pan out, she has enough for three studio weeks or a single 2bd.

I can't think of more flexibility for less price. Bronze weeks are basically being given away.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course that's the case. But if I recall correctly, OP wants 1bd, anyway. The point is that a 1300 Hyatt week will get anything up to a 2 bedroom. And if trading down in size, multiple weeks each year. If she gets a 1bd Disney Week, she'll have enough left over for a studio week elsewhere. Or if Disney doesn't pan out, she has enough for three studio weeks or a single 2bd.

I can't think of more flexibility for less price. Bronze weeks are basically being given away.

Not familiar with the Hyatt system
Are the MTN FEES on a Bronze week the same as the MTN FEES on a Plat or Diamond week?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Not familiar with the Hyatt system
Are the MTN FEES on a Bronze week the same as the MTN FEES on a Plat or Diamond week?

Yes. So from an overall cost standpoint it is better to buy a higher-point week.

But it really depends on what OP wants -- if she really just wants to travel one week a year, then a bronze week is all she needs. She'll be able to get two weeks out of it every single year if she plays her cards right.

If she has a Diamond week, she can get at least two weeks from Interval, and as many as eight. (But to be fair, eight means eight low-demand studios. Not bloody likely.) I get three weeks most years, and I own a Gold week. (1880 points.)

It is the most complicated of the timeshare systems. But it is also the most "time for your maintenance fee." And they are powerhouse traders. I'm used to getting what I want. I don't count on it -- no timeshare exchanger should EVER count on anything. But roughly 80% of the time, I get the week I want, where I want. And the other times? I get something I like -- so no worries there.

Will that continue with DVC going forward? No idea. If I had a crystal ball, I wouldn't be using it to make timeshare exchange predictions. But it has worked very well for the 20 years that I have owned one.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be the naysayer: I think it is unwise to buy a week specifically for trading into DVC. Too many things can change including required trade power and even affiliation. Buying anything with the intention to trade into the same high-demand resort system/area regularly is a recipe for eventual disappointment.

I completely agree.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I completely agree.

What about all of us who bought our timeshare just to trade? I bought a week in my home town. I'll never, ever, ever stay in it. When I go home, I have better options.

I bought it just so I could trade it. I just looked Disney up. There are half a dozen weeks available right now. Maybe one of those weeks works for the OP. Maybe it doesn't. But there is inventory.

If all the inventory dries up, and timesharing no longer works for her, just sell the week for roughly what she paid for it and walk away. The good timeshare systems retain SOME value, even if they aren't anywhere near what they sold for originally.

We don't have to use these things the same way. My only question about a week at any Disney resort would be "is this the third, fourth or fifth circle of hell?" Not for me. But popular with others.

There are Key West Bronze weeks being sold for less than $2K. This is not much of a gamble. It works now. It's worked in the past. It will probably continue to work in the future. And if it doesn't, so what? It's just a time share. Get rid of it and try something else.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is "just to trade" and "just to trade for this one, specific thing."

I'm not a huge fan of the former, even though about 40% of my portfolio is exactly "just to trade". In particular, I would dissuade someone brand new to timesharing from buying just to trade. Even in just the 15 years I've owned, the third party exchange landscape has changed significantly, and generally not in favor of the individual trader.

But I have seen people try to do the latter over and over again. It never seems to end well. For example, those of us of a certain "timeshare age" remember the "winter SW Florida" threads (though those threads might have been Over Yonder). There were also a number of people who were buying things to trade in RCI for DVC exchanges, almost right up to the day DVC moved to II. In fact, I remember saying buyer beware in one such thread, literally weeks-to-months before the change.

TL;DR: It can be a good idea to buy a strong trader for a particular exchange in general. That strong trader can be used for specific things, often with good success for many years. Buying only for those specific things? Much more of a risk.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
TL;DR: It can be a good idea to buy a strong trader for a particular exchange in general. That strong trader can be used for specific things, often with good success for many years. Buying only for those specific things? Much more of a risk.

What risk? We're talking about $2,000. Roughly $2,500 all-in with closing costs. A week at Disneyworld already costs more than that. And OP would be able to grab two DVC weeks right now -- a 1bd and a studio.

And if someday down the road, it no longer trades like that, it will sell for around $2,000.

I'm not suggesting that she buy some week in South Africa -- as was a popular solution years ago. It's a known quantity which has worked the same way for decades now.