• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton "upgrade" pitch

Duh

Reaction score
Diamond owners beware!
Hilton is pitching the following to diamond owners:

1. Non Hilton diamond owners may be facing a massive increase in maintenance charges. their "logic" is that as Diamond owners migrate to Hilton there will be few and fewer diamond owners to share the maintenance costs. They show a "10 year projection" of maintenance coast increases that makes the price of converting to HGV seem like a good deal. the problem is that these increase projcetions are MASSIVE. However the conversion cost is equally MASSIVE.

2.They are painting a picture that staying Diamond is a bad deal.

3. these guys are Master liars and exaggerators. I think that existing diamond owners who dont want to pay the MASSIVE charge to converat to Hilton grand Vacations need to stick together and fight this nonsense.

Just more of a reason to walk away. I promised the wife we would stay though 2023 but if 2024 gets even worse with availability AND they jack up the maint fees, I have permission to just flip Hilton off and drop my Diamond points somewhere along the road. Hilton can come pick them up if they want.

Duh

Reaction score
Nothing new. As has been written a dozen times here, Diamond owners best stand pat so as to maintain current benefits. Its a lower class customer than HGVC so no interest in upgrading.

So you are saying that Diamond owners are "lower class customers" than HGVC owners??

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
1. Non Hilton diamond owners may be facing a massive increase in maintenance charges. their "logic" is that as Diamond owners migrate to Hilton there will be few and fewer diamond owners to share the maintenance costs. They show a "10 year projection" of maintenance coast increases that makes the price of converting to HGV seem like a good deal. the problem is that these increase projcetions are MASSIVE. However the conversion cost is equally MASSIVE.
We heard that same pitch when Sunterra created the Hawaii trust for Point at Poipu and Kaanapali Beach Club - as owners migrated to the Trust, there would be fewer deeded owners at the resort to pay operating expenses.

It was quite impressive when our salesman made the pitch; like the best comedians, he pulled it off with a totally straight face.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
So you are saying that Diamond owners are "lower class customers" than HGVC owners??
Yes of course, that's why HGVC didn't let Diamond members in. HVC is the newly created Hilton entry level for Diamond clients. This was all in the original press releases.

• Haha
Reactions: Duh

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who bought who? And I couldn't believe that garbage from the DRI CEO video early on when he declared this new partnership (or similar, I forget the exact words) was going to be great for everyone blah blah blah

Last edited:

Duh

Reaction score
Yes of course, that's why HGVC didn't let Diamond members in. HVC is the newly created Hilton entry level for Diamond clients. This was all in the original press releases.

Do you hear yourself? So you think someone who only happened to purchase HGVC instead of Diamond is a higher class person? Do you hold your pinky out while typing such garbage?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Do you hear yourself? So you think someone who only happened to purchase HGVC instead of Diamond is a higher class person? Do you hold your pinky out while typing such garbage?
I said customers, not persons. HVC was made to target the lower class of facilities and customers from Diamond with a cheaper product.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I said customers, not persons. HVC was made to target the lower class of facilities and customers from Diamond with a cheaper product.
Yeah - that was clear from the beginning. HGV saw Diamond as an opportunity to extend their portfolio with a lower price, more "entry point" option.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah - that was clear from the beginning. HGV saw Diamond as an opportunity to extend their portfolio with a lower price, more "entry point" option.
Exactly. And as others have posted here, best option for most Diamond owners is not buy into MAX etc, just keep on keeping on with our 3 star resorts.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just more of a reason to walk away. I promised the wife we would stay though 2023 but if 2024 gets even worse with availability AND they jack up the maint fees, I have permission to just flip Hilton off and drop my Diamond points somewhere along the road. Hilton can come pick them up if they want.
Well you purchased for a reason and you should be able to continue using your points like that. Hilton fee increases have been reasonable in the past to maintain quality of the resorts, don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

If you must divest, consider the TUG Bargain Deals giveaway forum.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

Duh

Reaction score

Please, of please, provide the definition of a "customer" then if not a person. Are pigs buying timeshares now? Maybe snakes?? :rolleyes:

You know exactly full well what you or anyone who says such a thing, are implying. Hilton owners are one of the biggest reasons I refuse to upgrade to HGV Max. Bunch of uppity youknowwhats.

Duh

Reaction score

No. Hilton's priority was to gain access to several markets they did not have access to and could never afford to start fresh in those areas. No different than Diamond's purchases over the years.

Duh

Reaction score
Well you purchased for a reason and you should be able to continue using your points like that. Hilton fee increases have been reasonable in the past to maintain quality of the resorts, don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

If you must divest, consider the TUG Bargain Deals giveaway forum.

Yes, I purchased for a reason 33 years ago. And up until the Hilton takeover, it has worked well. Now, rules are changing, availability is less (even without Hilton owners having access yet, and it just isn't the value it used to be. And there is no point in putting it in the Bargain area as we all know Diamond resale points are worth a hoot given the restrictions Diamond puts on dirty points.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Please, of please, provide the definition of a "customer" then if not a person. Are pigs buying timeshares now? Maybe snakes?? :rolleyes:

You know exactly full well what you or anyone who says such a thing, are implying. Hilton owners are one of the biggest reasons I refuse to upgrade to HGV Max. Bunch of uppity youknowwhats.

Eh, this whole is kinda blown out of proportion. The difference between HGVC and HVC is about a yearly income of $20,000 and 30 points on their credit score.

BTW - I would most definitely be in the HVC category if I were to buy retail.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No. Hilton's priority was to gain access to several markets they did not have access to and could never afford to start fresh in those areas. No different than Diamond's purchases over the years.
Isn't that the same as "exentding their portfolio"? Their existing portfolio didn't have an offering in the price/value range occupied by DRI. Acquire Diamond and they now have a broader range of options. HGVC actually presented graphics illustrating that exact point.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton objectives were acquired a present where there were no Hilton timeshare resorts and to add maybe 10% t0 30% of Diamond owners to their club programs.

Hilton, Marriott's, Holiday Inn, Westgate or Wyndham could not & can not afford to build new resorts; where are these Diamond Resorts are located. IMHO

Hilton would be in big trouble if 50% of Diamond owners brought into their program and all these new owners wanted to travel; as an example to Hawaii at the same time. IMHO

Food for Thought.

Last edited:

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Man someone p*ss in your coffee? Just go listen / read the original materials. Diamond is 3 star, a lower class of customer than Hilton. It's much cheaper to buy HVC than HGVC. Like Ford customers are a lower class than Rolls Royce customers. An entry level business course can explain the concept of customer stratification.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Yes, I purchased for a reason 33 years ago. And up until the Hilton takeover, it has worked well. Now, rules are changing, availability is less (even without Hilton owners having access yet, and it just isn't the value it used to be. And there is no point in putting it in the Bargain area as we all know Diamond resale points are worth a hoot given the restrictions Diamond puts on dirty points.
I'm surprised you are seeing changes already, the takeover as you call it has barely started. Most of us here are wait and see, not interested in Max.

As for the disagreement with this other person, it's best to ignore some of the argumentative GOFs (grumpy old f*rts) here, he is already on my ignore list. As Twain said, never wrestle with a pig – it gets mud all over you and the pig likes it.

epearsall

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndam Founders Level
I liked reading about your Hilton sales presentation. What a huge difference in the Hilton approach.
Pitch was at Diamond Mystic dunes in Orlando, by staff who purported to be Hilton, althou I think they may have been Diamond weasels with a new employer

epearsall

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndam Founders Level
This is clearly totally illogical as there will never be "fewer" Diamond "owners" as all points in each trust are owned by someone. The only risk is if more "owners" default causing bad debt (which must be absorbed by the remaining owners unless/until paid). As such, either a) these supposed migrations would need to be owners who retain their Diamond points and acquire HGVC points and then default on their Diamond maintenance fees; or b) these supposed migrations sell back their points in order to buy HGVC points...in which case HGV is on the hook for the maintenance fees.
there would be fewer diamond owners if a lot upgraded to HGCV, that's their argument.

Duh

Reaction score
Eh, this whole is kinda blown out of proportion. The difference between HGVC and HVC is about a yearly income of $20,000 and 30 points on their credit score.

BTW - I would most definitely be in the HVC category if I were to buy retail.

Are you serious? You have facts in writing to back up this kind of claim? BTW, my credit score is 835 currently so it would be rather hard to go 30 points above that and while some may not consider me rich, I have no debt whatsoever and have a $400k house I paid cash to have built. This elitism by Hilton owners is exactly what I'm talking about.

Duh

Reaction score
Who bought who? And I couldn't believe that garbage from the DRI CEO video early on when he declared this new partnership (or similar, I forget the exact words) was going to be great for everyone blah blah blah

And yet just a year or two earlier it was the other way around with Hilton owners crying. But at no time did Diamond owners think their crap didn't stick and were better than Hilton owners. I see that is not the case here.