• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another 2 Br Annual Grand Chateau for 2800 or a Divorce

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
If this is not allowed delete. Just trying to help.

Have two 3 bedroom MGC (annual and EOY) for trading. The ink just dried on the EOY. After years of trading to what my family wanted, my wife and I simplified it to 4 weeks at MGO during summer, early June or September or some number of weeks at MGO and a week or two in some other warm beach location.

A 2 bedroom GC went up on Redweek (Redweek is handling sale) and I made an offer of 2350 thinking at that price I would figure out how to use it. We just had a grand daughter and my wife thinks 6 weeks will be too much time being away. I agree but a good deal is hard to pass up.

Since I would likely lose the newly acquired week in a divorce, I am passing.

Redweek came back with a counter offer of 2800. My gut tells me the person will go down a hundred or two given the counter came so quickly on a newly posted ad (went up yesterday). I do not know how long it will last but it is on Redweek for 3250 and is new if anyone wants to look at it.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
What did you pay for the annual 3-Bed? (if you don't mind)

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What did you pay for the annual 3-Bed? (if you don't mind)

It is in the ROFR DB so I have no problem letting you know it was 3500. The EOY I paid 2450. I have purchased resales since 1996 with my first one, I look at each one to determine if it is worth it (to me) because each person selling has different reasons, hence motivation. If I used the annual as a baseline, I would not have purchased the EOY because by comparison, it is 40 higher than the annual. If I look at the EOY as a 2 br grande ocean annual trade it is a steal.

Last edited:

td2022

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Destination Club Points
Marriott Mountainside Park City, Utah
MVC issues are rubbing off, I can't login to Marriott Bonvoy right now. App is also saying service is temporarily unavailable.

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 2.34.52 PM.png

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well……looks like there are multiple offers on this so I think I’m going to bow out. Redweek stated they’d take the highest offer end of today. I’ll wait.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Better to buy through someone besides Redweek.

What is with all of the people using the Redweek premium verify and closing services? The cost is high and not as good as LT Timeshares.

I keep watching for listings for resorts I want to buy but most are requiring me to use Redweek's services. I won't do it.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
You can request redweek to use your own title company as long as you agree to pay the $99 admin fees to redweek. For resorts in Hawaii, they do require to use the only few ones in HI.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well……looks like there are multiple offers on this so I think I’m going to bow out. Redweek stated they’d take the highest offer end of today. I’ll wait.

TUG EFFECT

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree $2350 would have been a good deal - at $2800 meh. IMHO prices tend to come down once October rolls around and mfs are due + with the economy being the way it is, I'm betting that we'll see prices come down later this year. I wouldn't blame anyone for biting at that price though -- as with l0410z, I'd probably be in marital trouble if I bought another one.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree $2350 would have been a good deal - at $2800 meh. IMHO prices tend to come down once October rolls around and mfs are due + with the economy being the way it is, I'm betting that we'll see prices come down later this year. I wouldn't blame anyone for biting at that price though -- as with l0410z, I'd probably be in marital trouble if I bought another one.
IMO it depends on the rest of the story. The other issues can vary more than $450 between fees, closing, when you get the week. Personally I'm not thrilled even at $2350 unless it's a cheap or free closing.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Better to buy through someone besides Redweek.

What is with all of the people using the Redweek premium verify and closing services? The cost is high and not as good as LT Timeshares.

I keep watching for listings for resorts I want to buy but most are requiring me to use Redweek's services. I won't do it.

Have you purchased a week that used Redweek because I am not sure what premium verify services is unless you are confusing this with rentals.

I closed with Redweek who uses Dedicated Timeshare to close, I liked them so much I used Dedicated directly. I used LT twice. I liked them also. LT was the only one who uses a company that charged a fee for money in escrow. Buying with Redweek. They all charged within 50 dollars of each other.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMO it depends on the rest of the story. The other issues can vary more than $450 between fees, closing, when you get the week. Personally I'm not thrilled even at $2350 unless it's a cheap or free closing.

I never spend someone’s else’s money so each person gets to decide what they are willing to pay. I am curious on how many Grand Chateau weeks you own, when you purchased them and at what price.

Last edited:

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
Before and during early COVID days (2020 and early 2021), the price for 2 bedroom MGC was around $2k before closing cost (I bought an eBay listing less than $2k including the closing). The price has gone up some since the travel picked up. I paid $5k for a 3 bedroom unit this year (I believe the price was around $3.5k), but was pretty happy about it because i need it to be in my account by July to be enrolled along with other weeks that I have.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I never spend someone’s else’s money so each person gets to decide what they are willing to pay. I am curious on how many Grand Chateau weeks you own, when you purchased them and at what price.
Likewise. I don't own there but I've passed on several units much less there in the past. I recently bought an EOY at Grande Vista for $870 all in. Maybe if it was a 3 BR but approaching $3K all in is too much there IMO unless once is getting more, like a free week. All 4 of my trading weeks (3 annual, 1 EOY) were around the same or slightly lower total than the price being discussed. I know things are more right now, that doesn't make it a good deal. Personally even at the $2350 all in it's only an OK deal. It's also be late in the year for completion of closing if one is lucky though GC is probably the best location to have a delayed closing because of the way the Platinum season is set up there. YMMV.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had an itch to buy something for some time now.
I can usually be pretty disciplined but for some reason I am getting impatient and if I am not careful I can see myself paying too much just to actually buy something
I have been very close to doing that several times

I offered $2500 for this week and Redweek said sorry we already have two higher offers
Redweek said they would accept highest best offer until midnight
I promptly bid $2850
Shortly thereafter I read @Dean's post and had instant buyers remorse
Fortunately I received an email from Redweek at noon today saying I was outbid
Hopefully I will go back to being patient and buy if and only if I find something I think I can both use and is a good value

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Likewise. I don't own there but I've passed on several units much less there in the past. I recently bought an EOY at Grande Vista for $870 all in.

I can only guess based on the ROFR, 870 seems like a great deal. In fact it seems like the best one for years. The question is, is if your price an anomaly or should be considered the base line of what is a good price for a trader moving forward? If you pull out your specific price, 2500 is in line at what a GV is going for.

Let’s use your price as the new norm and the baseline of what a good price is. let’s assume one can get an annual GV for 1740 ( your price times 2) and one paid 3250 (2800 plus closing) for an annual GC. Let’s also assume they trade the same and the value 1740 when they sell. This is specifically for a trader.

Here is my view from the bridge and we may never see eye to eye and that’s okay. If someone gets 10 years of the trades (20 trades or 10 trades) they want out of the purchase, are they really going to care if they paid 1740, 2500 or 3250. I would think not, but in answering for just me, no. So while I can appreciate your great deal, I stand by my post.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can only guess based on the ROFR, 870 seems like a great deal. In fact it seems like the best one for years. The question is, is if your price an anomaly or should be considered the base line of what is a good price for a trader moving forward? If you pull out your specific price, 2500 is in line at what a GV is going for.

Let’s use your price as the new norm and the baseline of what a good price is. let’s assume one can get an annual GV for 1740 ( your price times 2) and one paid 3250 (2800 plus closing) for an annual GC. Let’s also assume they trade the same and the value 1740 when they sell. This is specifically for a trader.

Here is my view from the bridge and we may never see eye to eye and that’s okay. If someone gets 10 years of the trades (20 trades or 10 trades) they want out of the purchase, are they really going to care if they paid 1740, 2500 or 3250. I would think not, but in answering for just me, no. So while I can appreciate your great deal, I stand by my post.
It's all good and it would matter to me but I understand looking at the big picture as well. Don't forget it's only one closing and one transfer so it's not double. In my case it would have been $100 more based on the breakdown. But EOY is far more likely to pass ROFR than an EY. And that would have been as much as any of my EY trading Platinum units at HL or WR and more than 2 of them combined.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I offered $2500 for this week and Redweek said sorry we already have two higher offers
Redweek said they would accept highest best offer until midnight
I promptly bid $2850
Shortly thereafter I read @Dean's post and had instant buyers remorse
I'd also take anything anyone says with a grain of salt. No one has to prove the transactions that are posted to ROFR.net... so there's that. And while I think it is a valuable resource, people miscalculate costs all the time (e.g. how they incorporate usage and maintenance fees, etc.), you can't take it as gospel. And people get one off deals... one sale is not market value for a unit.

Use it as an input and then decide what you are willing to pay. Patience is key, but also there is the opportunity cost of using the unit. I'm not getting any younger...

Best of luck.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI
I received an email from Redweek last night
Their deal fell through
Gave me and two other bidders chance to resubmit our offers
Fever has passed and so will I