• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting Wyndham

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Has Wyndham corporate cancelled Wyndham rentals?

Wyndham is on a crusade to discourage owners from renting. Wyndham does this by making an owner an offer he can't refuse or, in extreme cases, shutting down the owner's account, etc.

In other contexts, Wyndham would be called a bully at the least, or a tyrant in the extreme. Here, since Wyndham wrote the rules and the rules prohibit "commercial use," Wyndham is acting within its authority.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
We have rented out ours through the HOA and our Yahoo / Facebook group for maintenance fees.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is on a crusade to discourage owners from renting. Wyndham does this by making an owner an offer he can't refuse or, in extreme cases, shutting down the owner's account, etc.

In other contexts, Wyndham would be called a bully at the least, or a tyrant in the extreme. Here, since Wyndham wrote the rules and the rules prohibit "commercial use," Wyndham is acting within its authority.
Another context would be that the automatic upgrades Wyndham introduced defeated the predatory practice of commercial renters (bullies) who scammed the system by booking armloads (or more) of premium 3 and 4 bedroom Presidential units at 13 months then using a loophole to cancel and rebook those units withing 60 days at half the cost of a studio or 1 bedroom.

How can anyone think Wyndham is a bully by introducing Owner Priority Booking to minimize commercial renting and maximize occupancy by owners who bought into a Vacation Club for their personal use?

Seems like the profiteers just have sour grapes because the changes have put more Club Wyndham owners and fewer "anybody" renters in Club units -- and killed the profits.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Another context would be that the automatic upgrades Wyndham introduced defeated the predatory practice of commercial renters (bullies) who scammed the system by booking armloads (or more) of premium 3 and 4 bedroom Presidential units at 13 months then using a loophole to cancel and rebook those units withing 60 days at half the cost of a studio or 1 bedroom.

How can anyone think Wyndham is a bully by introducing Owner Priority Booking to minimize commercial renting and maximize occupancy by owners who bought into a Vacation Club for their personal use?

Seems like the profiteers just have sour grapes because the changes have put more Club Wyndham owners and fewer "anybody" renters in Club units -- and killed the profits.

I don't know about other owners but I couldn't book "armloads" of Presidential units. I ran out of PR points before I even got a handful of them. BTW, I booked them at fourteen months, not thirteen.

I actually enjoy the hyperbole in some of your posts. "Predatory," "bullies," "scammed the system," "armloads (or more)", etc. Very creative, albeit inapt.

No sour grapes here. I wasn't making enough of a profit to cry about. I don't have to spend hours searching for rentable reservations, and writing and responding to emails. Record keeping and preparing and filing tax returns will be a lot easier. I reduced the size of my account, which reduced my monthly maintenance fee by almost 50%. I ceased renting (at Wyndham's demand). I'm not on that sinful path. I'm on the righteous path of a Wyndham owner whose account is for personal use only.

I acknowledge that Wyndham is acting within its authority but still maintain that some of its actions in doing so are borderline tyrannical.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Like chapjim I agree that Wyndham is acting within their authority now taking action to minimize renting, and Wyndham acted within their authority when they forced me out of the system

Was I bullied??
What is a bully?? A bully is a person who habitually seeks to harm or intimidate those whom they perceive as vulnerable. And thats exactly how I was treated. And like any bully, they backed down when I stood up to them.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Like chapjim I agree that Wyndham is acting within their authority now taking action to minimize renting, and Wyndham acted within their authority when they forced me out of the system

Was I bullied??
What is a bully?? A bully is a person who habitually seeks to harm or intimidate those whom they perceive as vulnerable. And thats exactly how I was treated. And like any bully, they backed down when I stood up to them.
Wyndham wanted you to cease and desist with your rental business.
You stopped renting.
Who backed down?:wave:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
You stopped renting.
Who backed down?:wave:

Renting had nothing at all to do with why Wyndham was looking at Ron.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s correct. It was other, shall we say unethical business practices that some would call working the system? Point being, Ron is no longer in business. Wyndham is. But, sure. Wyndham backed down.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
As Ron has said many times, they essentially made him an offer he couldn't refuse - after he stood up to their initial demands. Wyndham certainly backed down from the stance they originally took with him, and he obviously came out of the situation just fine with that settlement (which only came because didn't back down). Because as Ron also said many times, he knew he wasn't in that game permanently, so the demise of the rental business was already something he expected. By the time he was done, it was less of a rental business and more an attempt to divest of all the contracts he had accumulated.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I feel there should be a website praiseron.com!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s not it at all. But some people insist on having the same argument over. And over. And over. And over.

In the immortal words of The Rock: it doesn’t matter who got the better of whom, who was right, or who was wrong. Wyndham does what they do, and we try to get what we want within those (changing) rules. And if we don’t think we can do that anymore, we get out.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too once more repeat something that has been said so often when I bought into Wyndham(Fairfield) and upgraded and bought more points the rules were different. Renting your points or booked reservations was suggested and encouraged To recoup your yearly maintenance fees. Rolling points together and purchasing more points to get to a higher status of VIP so an owner could find more availability for both themselves and for reservations to rent out. That is what drove the desire to purchase more points. Then when Wyndham wanted to changed the rules they did so. Which some folks insist the rules that already excisted were enforced. In the last several years Wyndham has only taken away and never given anything in return to replace. These changes have no effect on largest percentage of the owners because they own much smaller amounts of points and are no level of VIP. It does still effect owners who have paid their maintenance fees year after year for 10’s of thousands of dollars. Wyndham Customer service is nonexistent. And still to this day the sales department is still telling owners they can rent their points/reservations. Now corporate is just as unethical as the sales department so why to go Wyndham.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s correct. It was other, shall we say unethical business practices that some would call working the system? Point being, Ron is no longer in business. Wyndham is. But, sure. Wyndham backed down.
We will never, of course, get insight into Wyndham's interpretation of events. And on TUG we will get multiple versions of one side of the story depending on the day of the week.

It dosent make any difference, whether they have the right or not. I didnt think they had a right to suspend my accounts and force me out of the club... Basically they dared me to sue them. I didnt have the money or inclination to do that...It was like negotiating with Tony Soprano..so I settled, on their terms

my point is even if you have the right, It you probably dont have the cash to fight for it

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually enjoy the hyperbole in some of your posts. "Predatory," "bullies," "scammed the system," "armloads (or more)", etc. Very creative, albeit inapt.
It was you who introduced hyperbole about "bullies" and "tyrant in the extreme" into this thread.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We will never, of course, get insight into Wyndham's interpretation of events. And on TUG we will get multiple versions of one side of the story depending on the day of the week.
Hmmm. Did he settle twice? First on their terms and later after they backed down? :rolleyes:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I cannot recall the term for this kind of contradiction.

tyrannical -- "exercising power in a cruel or arbitrary way"

No contradiction at all.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

Was I bullied??
@ronparise where can I read about your journey with Wyndham. Been in and out ot TUG for years. Mostly follow the Marriott trend. Would like to read about your experience.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW I just tried to read some older threads on this subject matter. Not getting the acronyms and other abbreviated language.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
These threads are about Wyndham attacking owners who are renting, and when owners want to state their displeasure on TUG, because this is usually a safe place, we get bullied by TUG members. We cannot even dialogue on TUG about a big corporation who is indeed bullying without vitriol from TUG members who think we are breaking a rule, a rule that was added to the Wyndham website arbitrarily.