• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 78... My new RV is called HGVMax

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
I am currently wrapping up a cross country tour in my car and staying in Timeshares. This got me to thinking about how happy I am with the HGVMax platform and all the locations available to travel across the country. In so many way I wanted an RV, but chose a Timeshare because I wanted to travel to Hawaii and Europe and the timeshares let me do that easily.

But now I can travel across the country in HGVMax locations similarly to if I had an RV. So, I have finally gotten to the point where I have the best of both. I have the luxury stays, I have a significant number of locations, and a low cost method of getting to them (a Hybrid car).

Timeshare Traveler Episode 72... HGVMax Creates Cross Country Possibility -

Timeshare Traveler Episode 78... My new RV is called HGVMax

Map of all my timeshare reviews

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
I appreciate your effort in preparing these information pieces but, I am very confused. How are you actually using Max any different right now than you were using HGVC since no HVC properties are available yet?

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I appreciate your effort in preparing these information pieces but, I am very confused. How are you actually using Max any different right now than you were using HGVC since no HVC properties are available yet?
I have a little bit of Diamond, so I am able to book some of the Diamond properties ahead of the official launch of HGVMax.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I have a little bit of Diamond, so I am able to book some of the Diamond properties ahead of the official launch of HGVMax.

So you aren’t using Max. It’s a little confusing saying you are taking a cross country trip using Max when you are using DRI.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you aren’t using Max. It’s a little confusing saying you are taking a cross country trip using Max when you are using DRI.
Both sites are branded “Max”, but I don’t think the rules are fully programmed in yet. Some are, like paying the annual fees and no booking fees for reservations.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[
I also booked on the Diamond Site and it calls Itself HGVMax and calls itself a Hilton Resort (booked the Riviera in Dana Point)

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Again, I totally agree with the previous posters, you are most definitely misleading because the HGVMax program (booking via HGVMax) hasn't launched. The only thing that has launched is sales (and rebranding) for something that hasn't launched. These were the same comments made on your previous post.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[
I also booked on the Diamond Site and it calls Itself HGVMax and calls itself a Hilton Resort (booked the Riviera in Dana Point)
Thanks for your follow up Cliff and for these information pieces that you put together. I know you spend a lot of time on them and they are interesting to watch.

I am curious, you are in Max now. When you log into your Max portal do you see both HGVC/bHC and HVC (DRI) properties or do you need to use your HGVC portal with a Max logo to book HGVC and then your DRI portal now with a Max logo to book HVC/DRI?

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, I totally agree with the previous posters, you are most definitely misleading because the HGVMax program (booking via HGVMax) hasn't launched. The only thing that has launched is sales (and rebranding) for something that hasn't launched. There were the same comments made on your previous post.
Agreed - the main thing I think you need to make clear is that you're not booking anything using "HGV Max" benefits. You're booking using the points in each individual program you own (just because they branded the webpage "HGV Max' because you officially qualify for that program, doesn't mean you're taking advantage of such benefits). Bottom line, I think it would be helpful if you indicate which of these stays were booked less than 6 months out (as at least then one could assess the sort of availability they'd see if they only had "Max" benefits for one portfolio or the other).

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I also booked on the Diamond Site and it calls Itself HGVMax and calls itself a Hilton Resort (booked the Riviera in Dana Point).

Interesting. Perhaps is a a "soft open" to give folks a taste of "Max"
AKAIK, the HGV-Max program itself, in full glory, is not yet operational.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting. Perhaps is a a "soft open" to give folks a taste of "Max"
AKAIK, the HGV-Max program itself, in full glory, is not yet operational.
The HGVC Max folks have had the Max logo on their portal for a while and their membership status shows their Max Tier level but they don't have access to HVC...just the same HGVC/bHC that they had prior to the logo addition.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Again, I totally agree with the previous posters, you are most definitely misleading because the HGVMax program (booking via HGVMax) hasn't launched. The only thing that has launched is sales (and rebranding) for something that hasn't launched. These were the same comments made on your previous post.
I agree that I am misleading because I am talking about the future purchase of an "RV". I admit to getting carried away and I am excited about HGVMax. The launch was supposed to be this month and I worry about a software delay. But I just got back from a cross country trip in timeshares that I never thought I could do and it will change how I see timeshares forever. I went to my high school reunion all in timeshares (except at the reunion where there isn't a timeshare in Yorktown Indiana). With the rise in gas prices, it cost me an additional $200 -$225 (not a big deal). But another classmate who has an RV drove their car and stayed in hotels because of high gas prices. This made me again realize that the timeshare industry has a similar deal for cross country travel as the RV industry. And I am in shock that I will get the best of the RV with the luxury of timeshares. Totally a different feeling about timeshares and so I got carried away... Definitely guilty.

So while it is true that I am piecing together a trip with two different sites that both are marketed as HGVMax.... And I don't yet have an integrated system, but I see pieces of it. I book trips in the HGV site branded as HGVMax with no fees for bookings less than a week(I paid the $88 fee). I don't see the new sites, but I have a list of the Diamond sites that will become HGVMax. And I can book trips in Those sites. I just booked a trip on the ocean near San Diego (Riviera Beach Resort) for January , but could have chosen Tahoe. This was good because the search was less than six months out and I only chose non-affiliated sites.

So, I plead guilty to misleading people to think the software was all done. I am guilty of being excited and seeing how I can piece together something that will be available soon... And I can use timeshares close enough to having an RV. That changes my complete outlook on timeshare travel.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Someday, someone will actually be able to “kick the tires” on this “RV” of HGVMax and tell us if it amounts to anything.

As a former RV owner and someone who almost always drives to stay in a timeshare … I view the two as being fairly different. Your bed, refrigerator, and everything is with you as you go anywhere in an RV.

My family outgrew our RV. After finding TUG and looking at the economics of it, we decided timesharing was better for us.

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
We have an RV, and we have HGVC, and i wouldn't confuse the two..

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Cliff knows they are different things but just wanted to point out the ability to hop across the country using DRI and HGVC. The benefit of an RV is to stop and stay in a place where there aren't hotels and a ton of people but the advantage of his example is to have a resort experience while hopping across to the country... To each their own

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks @Clifbell for sharing the idea. We will be retiring sometime in the next five or so years and would love to take an extended cross country trip. By that time, DRI Max will be well defined.

I heard that you now need to make reservations for campgrounds and key locations well in advance with an RV. Neuters the idea of freewheeling it and "hitting the road." Might as well timeshare if you need to plan that far in advance and save the gas, maintenance, and headache of driving a billboard in cross winds.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks @Clifbell for sharing the idea. We will be retiring sometime in the next five or so years and would love to take an extended cross country trip. By that time, DRI Max will be well defined.

I heard that you now need to make reservations for campgrounds and key locations well in advance with an RV. Neuters the idea of freewheeling it and "hitting the road." Might as well timeshare if you need to plan that far in advance and save the gas, maintenance, and headache of driving a billboard in cross winds.
I agree about having to book the really nice campsites well in advance.... I think people that are really good at RV's have it dialed in a similar manner that I have with Timeshares. It takes effort to get good at anything. In the beginning it is hard... So, finding TUG was such a blessing as i was able to learn from so many timeshare experts.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree about having to book the really nice campsites well in advance.... I think people that are really good at RV's have it dialed in a similar manner that I have with Timeshares. It takes effort to get good at anything. In the beginning it is hard... So, finding TUG was such a blessing as i was able to learn from so many timeshare experts.

Because of TUG, I was able to walk my reservation my first time. Was easy.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Cliff knows they are different things but just wanted to point out the ability to hop across the country using DRI and HGVC. The benefit of an RV is to stop and stay in a place where there aren't hotels and a ton of people but the advantage of his example is to have a resort experience while hopping across to the country... To each their own
You got my point exactly. It works for me.... And it was something I thought I gave up when buying Hilton timeshares. But with the purchase of DRI, I have a similar capability as an RV.... Not the same, but similar.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You got my point exactly. It works for me.... And it was something I thought I gave up when buying Hilton timeshares. But with the purchase of DRI, I have a similar capability as an RV.... Not the same, but similar.

If I remember correctly, you have weeks/points is several systems. If so, how do you rate HGVC compared to the others? What collection do you own in DRI and how do those resorts that you stayed in compare to the other systems?

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I remember correctly, you have weeks/points is several systems. If so, how do you rate HGVC compared to the others? What collection do you own in DRI and how do those resorts that you stayed in compare to the other systems?
I like HGVC the best.... Worldmark second. Bottom line is HGV costs about the same to stay at many location (just a little higher maintenance). But the quality of HGV is much higher than worldmark (I think HGV is on par with Marriott which charges almost twice as much for maintenance).

And from a purchase Point perspective, I find HGV the best... This is because, I have bought about half of my points on Resale and have been able to "upgrade" to work as part of HGVMax by buying $25K in Retail. Although this makes my cost above resale, I get the benefits of retails for less than half the cost (about 35%). Not everyone sees the benefits as worth it, it works for me.

So, between the benefits of combining resale and retail plus the relatively low maintenance ($125/night for a one bedroom in Hawaii vs. $110/night for Worldmark), HGV wins.

I have a small amount of DRI just so I can book 13 months ahead to get Hawaii. But with the upgrade I just did, I get 10 months for all DRI properties as well... This means I get the best of both.... The DRI units are not as nice, but the upgrades with even this out over time... And eventually, I will stay in luxury across the country.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
But with the upgrade I just did, I get 10 months for all DRI properties as well...

I posted in another thread about my presentation last week. The salesman was really pushing the 10 month booking privilege for HGV Max (Preferred+ and above). Some here on TUG were speculating that it could be the ability to set up a search at 10 months and not true 10 month booking rights for all properties within HGV Max (HGVC and DRI properties). This could certainly be true. Since you are HGV Max, can you please explain how you understand the 10 month booking to work?

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I posted in another thread about my presentation last week. The salesman was really pushing the 10 month booking privilege for HGV Max (Preferred+ and above). Some here on TUG were speculating that it could be the ability to set up a search at 10 months and not true 10 month booking rights for all properties within HGV Max (HGVC and DRI properties). This could certainly be true. Since you are HGV Max, can you please explain how you understand the 10 month booking to work?
I have been doing searches on my dri account to simulate features of the future hgvmax. 6 months has available locations for sure, so hgvmax is worth it. I found 10 months to be even better, so the top level made sense. Hawaii seems to need more than 10 months but will be doing more searches. I am working on a video to share the details. I only have the Hawaii collection so my searches are limited to Hawaii, California, Arizona , and Utah. There are features of ongoing searches and annual freebies with the upgrade. Plus my combined upgrade of resale plus is $28k for 16,800 points. It works for me.

Last edited: