• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Ocean Club, we're not impressed

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
My wife, daughter, and I just returned from our 2 week vacation to Hawaii. We had an amazing trip overall. It was our first time to HI for our 20th anniversary. We had previously said, we'll probably go there once and be done. I am pretty sure we are going back, just not real soon. The views/scenery was absolutely beautiful!

We stayed at Ko Olina in a 2BR for 8 nights, then went to Maui Ocean Club for 6 nights in a 1BR in the older towers, we were in the Molokai wing on the 6th floor. We had a really nice view. We normally stay in 2BR all the time, so our daughter can have her own space, but I could never get a 2BR option at MOC. While the unit was a bit different for us, that wasn't really the thing that didn't impress us.

When we checked in, we handed off our Marriott bands, like we do at every other resort. We had used them at Ko Olina the whole time, so didn't think anything of it, and the front desk attendant didn't suggest that they may not work. We luckily always also get one physical card to access the unit. None of our bands worked. We went back to the front desk, spoke to a different person, and were told that the bands usually don't work unless you bought it at MOC. She then said that it is usually obvious if they are not going to work, based on the response from the machine that programs them. She tried ours again and said, "oh, these seem to work fine, based on this response, so you should be good to go. I'm not sure what happened when they first tried." So, we went about our day, went to the pools, etc and then back to the unit. Bands didn't work. OK, not such a big deal, we just had to go get more cards.

All of the things that annoyed us seem to stem from the cards/room keys, for the most part. Here are a few others.
If you want to get pool towels, or a pool band, you need to bring a room key to the towel hut. Sometimes the towel hut attendant would give us a new band for that day and sometimes they would say the band we already had from the previous day was the same as today. Just to be kicked out of line at the slide for not having the correct color band. Same thing at the Beachwalk food location. Sometimes they made you scan your room key and other times they did not, just to order food. At the bar, same thing. It seemed to depend on which person was waiting on you. But, the times I was in the pool, wanted to jump out and grab a drink, I couldn't do so without having to go back to our chair area to grab a room key.
At the lobby shop, they also required you to scan your room key to purchase anything. Us, not being used to that, again had a few times where we wanted to grab a quick ice cream treat or something else while walking by, but didn't have the room key on us. There was one time, I was just grabbing a coke, so I asked the cashier if there was any way I could buy the coke without my room key. She acted like I had just slapped her across the face and said, "its only a few bucks, so if its a scam, we won't lose too much". Really!? She then made me fill out the room charge form, like usual, but then looked up my name and room number on a different computer, first telling me the info didn't match, then correcting herself. Only then did she hand over the coke. Why the multiple systems? I have never seen this at all the other MVC locations we have stayed at.

Another thing that was annoying was the different responses to the same questions of the staff. One day, the bar would apply the owners discount to our bill. The next, they would say the discount does not apply to alcohol. Same thing at the special dinner events, they wouldn't apply our discount one night, but would a different night. And, same thing at the lobby shop, where it was applied once, but not applied other times. One woman said, the discount can only be applied to Marriott branded merchandise. I asked her to point out the Marriott branded merchandise and she said they don't have any. Um, OK.

We also did not like that there is no place to go into the ocean, at an oceanfront location. Sure, we could have climbed down the 10ft sand cliff and gone into the ocean like a few people did. They were getting battered off coral though. One day we drove down to Kapalua beach. It was beautiful, but only stayed for about 1 hour. We rented snorkel gear, but the coral was so much it was not too fun. Many people were only going out for 10-15 minutes the day we were there. There was more sand to walk in on the left side entrance to the water. When we returned the snorkel gear, the guy said, today is not a good day for snorkel, not very clear today.

I know this is a big complaint post. Oddly, I'm not really trying to do that. Again, we had an amazing trip to HI and would love to go back. The 6 hour difference is killing me right now, back on east coast. These things just annoyed us, and it went on over and over, especially the different treatment of different requests/uses. I've read so many raving reviews of MOC, and we were expecting the serenity we are used to, for the trip and from a MVC perspective. We didn't get that on the MVC side.

Oh, and if you are a MOC fan and enjoy it, don't expect the vendors that sit in the 3rd party shops to be there much longer. We did business with one shop who told us he is likely moving to a different resort or location soon because Marriott just told him they are tripling the rent for all tenants to make as much money as possible.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
So awful! We stayed at Ko Olina in 2016 and went to Maui, stayed at Maui Lea we had a wonderful time.
I don’t own Marriott, we rented from a TUG member for Ko Olina and exchanged with a TUG member for Maui.
Why is MOC so regimented? We stayed at Fountain Blue in Miami when my husband was on a business trip and they were regimented there had to show ID just to go to the pool. Next time you go to Hawaii, try exchanging with a tug member, you will have a less stressful experience.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Last time we were at MOC, when we handed them our key/bracelets from another resort, the front desk person told us their lock/scanners could be finicky, so she simply gave us MOC key/bracelets (for free) as well as returned our other resort bracelets for future use at other resorts. I guess service really is dependent on the luck of the draw with staff.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the things that annoyed us seem to stem from the cards/room keys, for the most part. Here are a few others.
If you want to get pool towels, or a pool band, you need to bring a room key to the towel hut. Sometimes the towel hut attendant would give us a new band for that day and sometimes they would say the band we already had from the previous day was the same as today. Just to be kicked out of line at the slide for not having the correct color band. Same thing at the Beachwalk food location. Sometimes they made you scan your room key and other times they did not, just to order food. At the bar, same thing. It seemed to depend on which person was waiting on you. But, the times I was in the pool, wanted to jump out and grab a drink, I couldn't do so without having to go back to our chair area to grab a room key.
At the lobby shop, they also required you to scan your room key to purchase anything. Us, not being used to that, again had a few times where we wanted to grab a quick ice cream treat or something else while walking by, but didn't have the room key on us. There was one time, I was just grabbing a coke, so I asked the cashier if there was any way I could buy the coke without my room key. She acted like I had just slapped her across the face and said, "its only a few bucks, so if its a scam, we won't lose too much". Really!? She then made me fill out the room charge form, like usual, but then looked up my name and room number on a different computer, first telling me the info didn't match, then correcting herself. Only then did she hand over the coke. Why the multiple systems? I have never seen this at all the other MVC locations we have stayed at.
So, I'll temper this by saying I can understand the frustration. One wants the service to be consistent -- things like giving the wrong pool band color shouldn't happen. But they do, and it sounded like it happened multiple times. That sucks.

But, at least Marriott is enforcing this and ensuring that only hotel guests are using the pool. The flip side is if you try to go to Hilton Hawaiian Village where there is virtually no enforcement and people hold the door open on the key card gate, the pool gets overrun with people -- including non-guests that do not belong there. With MOC being right off of the Kaanapali Beachwalk, I appreciate that they are strict at enforcement, or the pool will become overrun with folks that don't belong there.

On room charges, I can see where they want to do more enforcement. It is easy to overhear someone say their last name and room number, and then they can charge anywhere across the resort. On checkout, you have both an upset guest, and Marriott (and its owners) are out of pocket for the loss once the charges are reversed. I think the problem is the room key -- no one wants to carry around a room key at the pool. It'd be nice if it was incorporated into an RFID band (and yes, they have the technology because they sell it at Ko Olina but no, I'm not paying Marriott $10 for the privilege to do that) that was free of charge to guests.

Long story short, I do empathize because it did make your visit less relaxing, but I can see why Marriott is doing it. They should train their employees to be a little more consistent about it and look for ways to decrease the friction for guests, IMHO, but not stop the practice.

-ryan

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
They should have instantly given you new bracelets. Any defective or finicky reaction is a no-no for a resort of this caliber, and a simple fix on their part!
We use bracelets because of the convenience, and once we did have a problem at Hilton Head with a single bracelet, and the front desk rep handed us a brand new one,
no problem, and proceeded to program it. Those are not expensive, so it behooves the resort (and the managing company) to help, not to mention having a policy in place.
After all, you didn't get there by not spending a lot of money.
I'm rather shocked at their response, and if they had only helped quickly and appropriately, if would not have affected your stay negatively.
I would call the GM and discuss, and even call Marriott Customer Care. They could have done so much better.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you find these issues at any of the resorts but I do think they are worse since the pandemic. It seems like there are a lot of inexperienced workers. With that said these are 1st world problems I don't let bother me anymore because its just not worth the rise in blood pressure.

We just spent 3 weeks at the MOC and didn't run into any issues. The towels can just be exchanged without any need for a card. We exchange them frequently, at least 2x a day, the last time at the end of the day for the next day, and were never asked for a card. Its when you're getting them for the first time or you don't have any to exchange that they ask for the card. If I were given a discount and then not, I would confirm if i was entitled and if so make sure I received. Its likely you got it when you weren't entitled and then got upset when you didn't the next time. I would've also been annoyed initially so I understand your feelings, but I would've found out for sure and then used that in my decision to buy the product or not.

cowboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you let your displeasure be known to management while you were there?

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Umm… the locals are very much using the pool, hot tubs, chairs and beach towels at MOC. Sometimes big families on weekends. Mostly group of older teens who would hop in the pool or hot tub. They didn’t seem to mind grabbing used towels from the bins.
Didn’t see any effort by management to not have this happen. I’m glad that locals get to enjoy the property but sometimes it makes me a little grumpy.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
We just spent 3 weeks at the MOC and didn't run into any issues. The towels can just be exchanged without any need for a card. We exchange them frequently, at least 2x a day, the last time at the end of the day for the next day, and were never asked for a card. Its when you're getting them for the first time or you don't have any to exchange that they ask for the card. If I were given a discount and then not, I would confirm if i was entitled and if so make sure I received. Its likely you got it when you weren't entitled and then got upset when you didn't the next time. I would've also been annoyed initially so I understand your feelings, but I would've found out for sure and then used that in my decision to buy the product or not.
I'm glad you didn't have any issues. The thing is, we had very different experiences, which is one of the main topics of my post. Two different towel hut attendants should not follow different procedures. For the most part, we always exchanged our towels. Sometimes we were told to scan our key and sometimes we were not. When we asked why we had to scan to exchange, we were told it is policy. I really don't get the whole bar/food areas not accepting the owners discount card. One day I was told I couldn't use it at the bar because alcohol is not part of the discount, then next day, I order the same drinks, show my card and the guy simply clicked a button on the screen to give me my discount. The button is there, why would I not be eligible? For all of these things, we asked once, but then just stopped asking so we could enjoy the time there.
Did you let your displeasure be known to management while you were there?
I did not speak to anyone directly about it. We had 2 separate reservations for our MOC stay. I received a survey at the end of the first reservation ended and provided feedback in that manner. I did not receive a survey after the second reservation ended.
Interestingly, when I stay at Marriott branded hotels, if I provide any negative or even mediocre survey feedback (which is not common), I receive an email or phone call from the GM of that property within 24 hours. I can recall 2 occasions where I provided negative feedback at an MVC location, including this time, and I did not hear from them at all.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Umm… the locals are very much using the pool, hot tubs, chairs and beach towels at MOC. Sometimes big families on weekends. Mostly group of older teens who would hop in the pool or hot tub. They didn’t seem to mind grabbing used towels from the bins.
Didn’t see any effort by management to not have this happen. I’m glad that locals get to enjoy the property but sometimes it makes me a little grumpy.
Going all the way back to our 2008 stay at Waiohai this has been a thing, locals using the properties on weekends. We were there for two weeks and also saw large groups taking over the grill areas with food and drink coolers. One of the employees told me that it's one of the perks of working in the hospitality industry and it happens on all of the Hawaii islands. She even explained that they were allowed to do it only on weekends because those are the changeover days so fewer guests are using the amenities then. I haven't been since DC Points have effectively made any day a changeover day, but it doesn't surprise me anytime I read about this happening at any hotel/resort in Hawaii.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Also, remember the hospitality industry continues to deal with staffing issues since the pandemic - lots of turnover and lots of places are understaffed. That could easily explain the inconsistencies. You can do all the training in the world, but a lot of the "how to" they learn in training doesn't stick with people until they have some experience. In an environment where you have a lot of less experienced staff, it doesn't surprise me there is inconsistency. I have seen it almost everywhere over the last two years, not just in hospitality, but basically any service-oriented business. There is a lot of inexperience out there.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Also, remember the hospitality industry continues to deal with staffing issues since the pandemic - lots of turnover and lots of places are understaffed. That could easily explain the inconsistencies. You can do all the training in the world, but a lot of the "how to" they learn in training doesn't stick with people until they have some experience. In an environment where you have a lot of less experienced staff, it doesn't surprise me there is inconsistency. I have seen it almost everywhere over the last two years, not just in hospitality, but basically any service-oriented business. There is a lot of inexperience out there.
Its sad but true. Many businesses are just happy to have people show up to work, regardless of aptitude, just to be able to keep the doors open.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Its sad but true. Many businesses are just happy to have people show up to work, regardless of aptitude, just to be able to keep the doors open.
yes and we should be thankful for those hospitality employees who come to work for minimum wage and receive little training, definitely a management issue that should be brought up on in person on that day to help them improve for the next guests

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Maui Oceanclub in one of the new towers for two weeks just prior to the Covid lockdowns in 2020. It was so crowded and they didn’t have enough parking spaces for cars. They were offering free valet parking and had cars parked everywhere there was any kind of space. We didn’t understand how they could plan that poorly.

They also couldn’t get our bands to work and they kept them, while offering us replacements. This clearly is something they know about, there’s something wrong with the systems there and, they really should replace the systems. I can’t believe Marriot is making money when they have to keep replacing peoples’ bands. You were lucky to get your originals back. Our originals had the picture from the resort we bought them at, now we just have generic Marriot bands…Yes this bothers me… I know… really? What’s really funny, or not, we tried to use those bands at Grande Ocean memorial week 2020, and those Maui bands didn’t work there. MGO di not give us free replacements….How is it that we can use these bands in Saint Thomas but they can’t get It right at Maui Ocean Club.

We have been to all four islands several times, probably eight trips in 20 years. We own at Waiohai, and we really love Kauai the best. But we also love the big island (wish that they had configured the MVCI resort there differently) and we enjoy Oahu periodically. We are looking forward to the upcoming Marriott vacation club pulse resort there. There’s is no right or wrong re what you like about Hawaii, but we have seriously not found Maui to be too our liking. The 2020 trip was one where we used the gypsy guide and we did the whole island, doing trips we hadn’t done on our prior visits I doubt we will ever go back to Maui now. The other three islands are more enjoyable for us.

Try the other islands if you haven’t yet…

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
yes and we should be thankful for those hospitality employees who come to work for minimum wage and receive little training, definitely a management issue that should be brought up on in person on that day to help them improve for the next guests
We don't know that they are making minimum wage. From what I understand, VAC/MVC pays pretty good with benefits. The costs come out of our MFs. As for the shops at MOC, aren't they all third party? They probably don't have direct access to charging to a room.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
We don't know that they are making minimum wage. From what I understand, VAC/MVC pays pretty good with benefits. The costs come out of our MFs. As for the shops at MOC, aren't they all third party? They probably don't have direct access to charging to a room.
Right. The problem with finding people to work is nobody will work for minimum wage. My buddy has to pay $17/hr at his sub shop to get any help.
The shop I was referring to is the lobby shop, like the marketplace that every resort has. They do charge to the unit, but only if you scan your key to prove you are legit.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus tips. We clean up the place and tip pretty well when we check out.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
We stayed at Maui Oceanclub in one of the new towers for two weeks just prior to the Covid lockdowns in 2020. It was so crowded and they didn’t have enough parking spaces for cars. They were offering free valet parking and had cars parked everywhere there was any kind of space. We didn’t understand how they could plan that poorly.

They also couldn’t get our bands to work and they kept them, while offering us replacements. This clearly is something they know about, there’s something wrong with the systems there and, they really should replace the systems. I can’t believe Marriot is making money when they have to keep replacing peoples’ bands. You were lucky to get your originals back. Our originals had the picture from the resort we bought them at, now we just have generic Marriot bands…Yes this bothers me… I know… really? What’s really funny, or not, we tried to use those bands at Grande Ocean memorial week 2020, and those Maui bands didn’t work there. MGO di not give us free replacements….How is it that we can use these bands in Saint Thomas but they can’t get It right at Maui Ocean Club.

We have been to all four islands several times, probably eight trips in 20 years. We own at Waiohai, and we really love Kauai the best. But we also love the big island (wish that they had configured the MVCI resort there differently) and we enjoy Oahu periodically. We are looking forward to the upcoming Marriott vacation club pulse resort there. There’s is no right or wrong re what you like about Hawaii, but we have seriously not found Maui to be too our liking. The 2020 trip was one where we used the gypsy guide and we did the whole island, doing trips we hadn’t done on our prior visits I doubt we will ever go back to Maui now. The other three islands are more enjoyable for us.

Try the other islands if you haven’t yet…

I believe at that time one of the garages was closed-or very limited due to construction.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
My wife, daughter, and I just returned from our 2 week vacation to Hawaii. We had an amazing trip overall. It was our first time to HI for our 20th anniversary. We had previously said, we'll probably go there once and be done. I am pretty sure we are going back, just not real soon. The views/scenery was absolutely beautiful!

We stayed at Ko Olina in a 2BR for 8 nights, then went to Maui Ocean Club for 6 nights in a 1BR in the older towers, we were in the Molokai wing on the 6th floor. We had a really nice view. We normally stay in 2BR all the time, so our daughter can have her own space, but I could never get a 2BR option at MOC. While the unit was a bit different for us, that wasn't really the thing that didn't impress us.

When we checked in, we handed off our Marriott bands, like we do at every other resort. We had used them at Ko Olina the whole time, so didn't think anything of it, and the front desk attendant didn't suggest that they may not work. We luckily always also get one physical card to access the unit. None of our bands worked. We went back to the front desk, spoke to a different person, and were told that the bands usually don't work unless you bought it at MOC. She then said that it is usually obvious if they are not going to work, based on the response from the machine that programs them. She tried ours again and said, "oh, these seem to work fine, based on this response, so you should be good to go. I'm not sure what happened when they first tried." So, we went about our day, went to the pools, etc and then back to the unit. Bands didn't work. OK, not such a big deal, we just had to go get more cards.

Another thing that was annoying was the different responses to the same questions of the staff. One day, the bar would apply the owners discount to our bill. The next, they would say the discount does not apply to alcohol. Same thing at the special dinner events, they wouldn't apply our discount one night, but would a different night. And, same thing at the lobby shop, where it was applied once, but not applied other times. One woman said, the discount can only be applied to Marriott branded merchandise. I asked her to point out the Marriott branded merchandise and she said they don't have any. Um, OK.

We also did not like that there is no place to go into the ocean, at an oceanfront location. Sure, we could have climbed down the 10ft sand cliff and gone into the ocean like a few people did. They were getting battered off coral though. One day we drove down to Kapalua beach. It was beautiful, but only stayed for about 1 hour. We rented snorkel gear, but the coral was so much it was not too fun. Many people were only going out for 10-15 minutes the day we were there. There was more sand to walk in on the left side entrance to the water. When we returned the snorkel gear, the guy said, today is not a good day for snorkel, not very clear today.

I know this is a big complaint post. Oddly, I'm not really trying to do that. Again, we had an amazing trip to HI and would love to go back. The 6 hour difference is killing me right now, back on east coast. These things just annoyed us, and it went on over and over, especially the different treatment of different requests/uses. I've read so many raving reviews of MOC, and we were expecting the serenity we are used to, for the trip and from a MVC perspective. We didn't get that on the MVC side.

Oh, and if you are a MOC fan and enjoy it, don't expect the vendors that sit in the 3rd party shops to be there much longer. We did business with one shop who told us he is likely moving to a different resort or location soon because Marriott just told him they are tripling the rent for all tenants to make as much money as possible.
We have always had fabulous service at the Maui Ocean Club, as good or better than at any of the 30-plus MVCI resorts we have stayed at.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We also did not like that there is no place to go into the ocean, at an oceanfront location. Sure, we could have climbed down the 10ft sand cliff and gone into the ocean like a few people did.
Please explain this. We have not been since before the pandemic but there was always very good ocean access at this resort, especially on the Napili side where the beach is widest.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
We have always had fabulous service at the Maui Ocean Club, as good or better than at any of the 30-plus MVCI resorts we have stayed at.
Please explain this. We have not been since before the pandemic but there was always very good ocean access at this resort, especially on the Napili side where the beach is widest.
I’m glad you have always had fabulous service. We did get fabulous service from Johnny at the bar, and a woman at the front desk was really great. The towel guy over by the Lahaina pool was nice as well. Others offered good service and others were flat out rude. The first day we were there, my wife asked the woman at the towel hut where the nearest restroom was. The woman pointed to her left and didn’t say a word. My wife asked if she could be more specific and the woman said, just walk that way until you hit a building and you should be at the bathroom. At the little food place, one night, we waited at the window for a few minutes so the ladies behind the counter could finish a story about one of their husbands. They both saw us, just didn’t care. Then one came over, asked what we’d like and then held a finger up to the glass telling us not to start so she could turn around and say something else to the other one. Rudeness or great service wasn’t really what my post was about, so I didn’t include that. I think that’s, unfortunately, the way all service industries are today. The processes/procedures and lack of consistency was what my post was about.

As for the beach, there wasn’t one. At least nothing like a beach I have ever seen. At the resort, they had the entire beach area roped off, except tiny little spots, with signs to stay off. Along the resorts beachfront, it was a very steep drop down to the water. No actual beach (sand). There is also a large sailboat that washed up onto the shoreline in front of the resort, leaned over on its side. We did walk down to the next resort area to the right. They had an area of flat sand beach, marked private. Our daughter was doing a surf lesson out there so we sat there for a while. I’d say maybe 20ft deep of beach. But again, to the water was a very steep drop down. Along this area, there was a lot of large rocks or coral right at the edge too. When my daughter surfed, they had to go a specific path to avoid as much rock/coral as possible.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
As for the beach, there wasn’t one. At least nothing like a beach I have ever seen. At the resort, they had the entire beach area roped off, except tiny little spots, with signs to stay off. Along the resorts beachfront, it was a very steep drop down to the water. No actual beach (sand). There is also a large sailboat that washed up onto the shoreline in front of the resort, leaned over on its side. We did walk down to the next resort area to the right. They had an area of flat sand beach, marked private. Our daughter was doing a surf lesson out there so we sat there for a while. I’d say maybe 20ft deep of beach. But again, to the water was a very steep drop down. Along this area, there was a lot of large rocks or coral right at the edge too. When my daughter surfed, they had to go a specific path to avoid as much rock/coral as possible.

Kaanapali Beach changes from month-to-month. The sand shifts from Black Rock south to the Hyatt/Marriott area and then back throughout the year. We saw this first hand recently, when we were at MOC in October 2021 then again in February 2022. The beach area in front of the Marriott was almost nonexistent in October, but was much wider with plenty of depth by February, just four months later.

I also suspect the huge surf that hit the islands a month or so ago in association with the tropical system that moved nearby may have caused some beach erosion, contributing to the large drop-offs.

The beach issues along Kaanapali Beach, particularly on the south end, are a known issue. The Kaanapali resort and the individual resorts that operate there have been trying to get a beach re-nourishment project approved for years, but it keeps getting blocked by groups that don't want nature's processes to be modified by man. I was able to attend the MOC annual owner's meeting when we were on site back in October 2021, and the GM said they were hopeful the project would be allowed to move forward soon, but it's Hawaii, so that may have been more wishful thinking than reality. I also assume any repair to damage done by the high surf would face similar restrictions prohibiting interference with nature.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a a resort to visit for seniors ?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Is this a a resort to visit for seniors ?

It’s Hawaii and it’s beautiful. Certainly plenty to do for active seniors and there’s a paved beach walk for easier access for all. Driving in some areas may be a challenge, like Road to Hana or Haleakala, but still lots to see/do. The bigger issue, depending on your health, is how long is the trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm good health, but I disliked to drive in heavy traffic.
Two weeks in Hawaii for vacation; maybe 17 days or more.