• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest Flights Seating Availability

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I was just wondering Southwest is flying their 737-800Max planes to the neighbor islands and with the number of flights that they make are there flights full or are there a good deal of seats empty?

mcdanielpj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I’ve flown a bunch on SWA lately. HNL to KOA, KOA to HNL, SAN to KOA. All had a lot of empty seats.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I’ve flown a bunch on SWA lately. HNL to KOA, KOA to HNL, SAN to KOA. All had a lot of empty seats.

Great. Going to Maui in September. On Hawaiian Air we select seats as isolated as possible. On Southwest we can't do that but if there are alot of seats we can distance ourselves as much as possible.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We flew from the Big Island to Maui on a half empty flight in June

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
None of the flights mentioned in the previous posts were to or from the mainland to Maui. From what I've been reading about the Maui airport they have been slammed. More flights, more people, and understaffed. I would guess some of those people are flying on SW.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
None of the flights mentioned in the previous posts were to or from the mainland to Maui. From what I've been reading about the Maui airport they have been slammed. More flights, more people, and understaffed. I would guess some of those people are flying on SW.

I agree. The last few flights we have flown on Hawaiian to Maui have all been full. You will be going in September so that may help some and with Southwest adding flights that may help some too but you won't find out until your flight.

Let us know, I would be curious to how full it was.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Great. Going to Maui in September. On Hawaiian Air we select seats as isolated as possible. On Southwest we can't do that but if there are alot of seats we can distance ourselves as much as possible.
Won't help much in the TSA lines at OGG though

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Hopefully the lines will be better in September when the kids are back in school and the peak summer travel time is over.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Hopefully the lines will be better in September when the kids are back in school and the peak summer travel time is over.
That's what they're hoping on Maui as well. There will probably still be the problem of being short staffed. We didn't notice really bad lines in March/April, and I'm sure they were short staffed then as well.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
That's what they're hoping on Maui as well. There will probably still be the problem of being short staffed. We didn't notice really bad lines in March/April, and I'm sure they were short staffed then as well.

It was really bad on Maui the second Saturday in May when we were there. Hopefully, some of this pent-up travel demand will subside after the summer and things will settle down.

We saw really really long TSA lines but they did move fairly quick. My wife mentioned that was one time she was glad she was in a wheelchair. She got rolled right to the front. She only had the wheelchair because the walk from Mokulele was to far for her.

They may still probably be short staffed but maybe not as bad.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another update on the news today.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had a 12:30 flight home yesterday on SW. There were only 8 people in front of us in the tsa pre line.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
HNL to LIH in early July. $29 ticket one way and flight was only about 2/3 full. I paid $39 because it allowed me to buy the cheaper flight and then do a free same day confirmed change for a better time.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had a 12:30 flight home yesterday on SW. There were only 8 people in front of us in the tsa pre line.

They are still trying to work out issues. How was the Non-Pre-Check line? It's been on the news a few times a week over the last couple weeks here.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are still trying to work out issues. How was the Non-Pre-Check line? It's been on the news a few times a week over the last couple weeks here.

It looked extremely long. We were so grateful for tsa pre