• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney cruise

jbug423

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BLT Mayan Palace
I have never been on a disney cruise and it is in our future. I know that many have said to sell your points and purchase with cash, that being said, we are a family of 4, would it be an option to book 1 person with points and the other 3 with cash in order to be recognized as DVC or does it not matter how we purchase.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I have never been on a disney cruise and it is in our future. I know that many have said to sell your points and purchase with cash, that being said, we are a family of 4, would it be an option to book 1 person with points and the other 3 with cash in order to be recognized as DVC or does it not matter how we purchase.

Yes, you can book one with DVC points and the rest with cash. No need to book with points though as the only recognition you get as a DVC member is a DVC magnet on your door and you get that whether you are resale or direct and whether you booked points or cash.

If you want special DVC treatment on a DCL cruise you can book a DVC member only cruise (requires one to be considered a direct owner). It is more expensive than a regular cruise but you get showered with bling and special shows.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What @RX8 said. I would add that the major DVC rental agencies (e.g. David's, DVC Rental Store, etc.) have added DCL Cruise Swap Programs where you trade points for a Disney cruise. My understanding is that the value is much better than going through DVC but don't know the details.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
We’ve always paid cash on a Disney Cruise. And we still get the DVC member magnet in our door. We also make sure we attend the special DVC member get together they have (mimosas and some drawings for prizes...at least that is what they did pre-closure). We never pay full rate....I would always haunt their website for markdowns....you can get a cheaper room “with restrictions”, which means they pick your stateroom for you, but you get the category you chose. We always get veranda for Caribbean cruises. I’ve heard there are some good bargains, but haven’t looked since we won’t be cruising again until they drop testing and vaccine mandates. We are two older adults that really love Disney cruises. Was thinking of trying other cruise lines because Disney was getting pricey but The Wish looks so awesome and we’d really like to try it. I’m still a couple of cruises away from being Platinum.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We are two older adults that really love Disney cruises. Was thinking of trying other cruise lines because Disney was getting pricey but The Wish looks so awesome and we’d really like to try it.
Also looking at Wish for after next Christmas. We love DCL, but found Princess to be a very good second choice. Never disappointed in Princess in 5 cruises both Caribbean and Europe.

jbug423

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BLT Mayan Palace
We’ve always paid cash on a Disney Cruise. And we still get the DVC member magnet in our door. We also make sure we attend the special DVC member get together they have (mimosas and some drawings for prizes...at least that is what they did pre-closure). We never pay full rate....I would always haunt their website for markdowns....you can get a cheaper room “with restrictions”, which means they pick your stateroom for you, but you get the category you chose. We always get veranda for Caribbean cruises. I’ve heard there are some good bargains, but haven’t looked since we won’t be cruising again until they drop testing and vaccine mandates. We are two older adults that really love Disney cruises. Was thinking of trying other cruise lines because Disney was getting pricey but The Wish looks so awesome and we’d really like to try it. I’m still a couple of cruises away from being Platinum.

Do you book direct from Disney or are there other options for deals.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Do you book direct from Disney or are there other options for deals.
I will find my cruise and price on their website and then contact my cruise person. I’ve used Dreams Unlimited. My person is great....they have a very good relationship with DCL. They used to give you an on board credit, but things may have changed. I believe Disney is the only cruise line where you cannot find a deal from Costco or BJs. You may get a gift card from Costco, but I’ve never done it so I don’t know.
One piece of advice. As soon as you book, make sure you choose your dinner seating time. First seating goes quick!

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Also looking at Wish for after next Christmas. We love DCL, but found Princess to be a very good second choice. Never disappointed in Princess in 5 cruises both Caribbean and Europe.
Thanks for that. I’m not too anxious to get on one of those mega cruise ships that looks like a high rise hotel. And so many passengers. We did a transatlantic on the Magic. I was very comfortable with the size of the ship. I will check out Princess.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wish looks so awesome and we’d really like to try it. I’m still a couple of cruises away from being Platinum.

we have never done DCL cruise it’s just never seemed an affordable option for us…cruising on any line for that matter always took a back seat to in the family getaways to amusement parks in general.

The “Wish” has changed that for us- Publicity stunt or not the dedication to the “ wish kids past present and future “ has set the ball rolling for an extended family trip…L-rd knows I don’t have enough qualified points even with banking and borrowing for 1 person let alone minimum 4 cabins…

@nomoretslt @elaine @jbug423 @ljmiii
Please keep this thread going on what deals tricks ect you find while planning…

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I’ve read (probably on Cruise Critic) that cruise prices are the same no matter how you book, and that the “deal” is in the gifts or rewards you get from the entity you book with. Costco sends Costco shop cards for a percentage of the fare, after the cruise is complete. And their Executive members get an additional 2% reward back.
Publicity stunt or not the dedication to the “ wish kids past present and future “ has set the ball rolling for an extended family trip
I missed that - thanks for letting me know!

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please keep this thread going on what deals tricks etc. you find while planning…
My #1 suggestion would be to head over to https://disneycruiselineblog.com for general DCL info and to sign up for discount announcements. That said...

You're not going to see a lot of discounts during the Wish's maiden year. In general, DCL's discounts are offered mainly on random non-holiday cruises into the Caribbean and Bahamas though they have offered some this past year for more 'peak' destinations and times as they try to fill staterooms through COVID. They offer VGT, OGT, and IGT discounts (Verandah, Outside, and Inside) if you are willing to let Disney choose your stateroom. There are also Military (MTO), Floridian (FLR), and Canadian (CAN) discounts.

Also in general, for high demand cruises the prices only go up and so the best rates you will see will be on the first day you can book. We were/are Platinum and had a cruise to Iceland/Norway in 2015 where the prices just over 6 months out were double what we given at the opening bell. I would guess that while not so acute, pricing will slowly rise for Wish cruises this year. At least until 60-ish days out...assuming there are any left at all.

Other tricks. Anything you want, reserve it as early as you can. Over time we went on fewer and fewer excursions by DCL...but selected ones were completely 'worth it'. The big advantage is that they hold the boat for you if there is a problem. Once we were caught by high winds, unable to get back into Skagway. They opened up a local museum for us and brought in a 'roach coach' that served us amazing fish and chips while we waited to be allowed to return. Another time, Disney 'persuaded' the Vatican to open the Sistine Chapel on a Sunday...the only people in the place were Disney Cruise guests.

If you want main dining, reserve it as early as you can. Same goes for spa appointments, beverage tastings, and character interactions (assuming they still have and book those), and anything else.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
My #1 suggestion would be to head over to https://disneycruiselineblog.com for general DCL info and to sign up for discount announcements. That said...

You're not going to see a lot of discounts during the Wish's maiden year. In general, DCL's discounts are offered mainly on random non-holiday cruises into the Caribbean and Bahamas though they have offered some this past year for more 'peak' destinations and times as they try to fill staterooms through COVID. They offer VGT, OGT, and IGT discounts (Verandah, Outside, and Inside) if you are willing to let Disney choose your stateroom. There are also Military (MTO), Floridian (FLR), and Canadian (CAN) discounts.

Also in general, for high demand cruises the prices only go up and so the best rates you will see will be on the first day you can book. We were/are Platinum and had a cruise to Iceland/Norway in 2015 where the prices just over 6 months out were double what we given at the opening bell. I would guess that while not so acute, pricing will slowly rise for Wish cruises this year. At least until 60-ish days out...assuming there are any left at all.

Other tricks. Anything you want, reserve it as early as you can. Over time we went on fewer and fewer excursions by DCL...but selected ones were completely 'worth it'. The big advantage is that they hold the boat for you if there is a problem. Once we were caught by high winds, unable to get back into Skagway. They opened up a local museum for us and brought in a 'roach coach' that served us amazing fish and chips while we waited to be allowed to return. Another time, Disney 'persuaded' the Vatican to open the Sistine Chapel on a Sunday...the only people in the place were Disney Cruise guests.

If you want main dining, reserve it as early as you can. Same goes for spa appointments, beverage tastings, and character interactions (assuming they still have and book those), and anything else.

that sounds amazing!

we are at the very early stages, it took me a week to even ask the family member, the mom of the past recipient on the Magic if they would be comfortable, (time does not heal all wounds)

although I can tell you which parks in the USA have the best best desserts or new coasters coming and where - have no cruise planning knowledge-

This was ordered yesterday - starting my research lol

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Way back in 2012 they had an offer to DVC members for the 5 night NYC to Canada cruise and another in late November to the Caribbean (7 nights). I took my MIL on the Canada one and DH and I did the Caribbean . The rate worked out to $135 per person per night. Unbelievable. Never saw it happen again, but keeping fingers crossed. I think a lot of people are going to decide they can’t afford a cruise (gas prices and things in general) and will cancel before their final payment is due.
The other cruises were all the discount rates and we always got a nice cabin. In looking at their website, I did see a few VGF rates in the fall (not for the Wish) but the dates don’t work for me. When I get some time I’ll try to do a step by step. Right now I need to unpack more kitchen boxes and try to locate a dining room chair that I know is buried behind some boxes in the garage.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Over the years we have gone on a 7 DLC cruises. Any Disney fan would enjoy the cruise. A few years we did switch over to RCCL due to pricing, onboard ship activities and varied itinterairies. We did head back to DCL this past March and have the Wish booked for next March and then we will be going back to RCCL for the same reasons noted.

Suggestions, especially if you are flexible with travel dates. Watch for discounts. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/
Use a travel agent. I will also second Dreams Unlimited, they are awesome and I love the agent I have worked with over the years.
When using DU you will get an on board credit for use - based on cost of the cruise. But, the biggest reason now, if you need to change anything or contact DCL you don't need to do yourself. Their wait times are just crazy, I had to fix an on board booking becuase DCL didn't assign to my TA - no joke 6 hours one day and 8 hours the next on hold.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

Over the years we have gone on a 7 DLC cruises. Any Disney fan would enjoy the cruise. A few years we did switch over to RCCL due to pricing, onboard ship activities and varied itinterairies. We did head back to DCL this past March and have the Wish booked for next March and then we will be going back to RCCL for the same reasons noted.

Suggestions, especially if you are flexible with travel dates. Watch for discounts. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/
Use a travel agent. I will also second Dreams Unlimited, they are awesome and I love the agent I have worked with over the years.
When using DU you will get an on board credit for use - based on cost of the cruise. But, the biggest reason now, if you need to change anything or contact DCL you don't need to do yourself. Their wait times are just crazy, I had to fix an on board booking becuase DCL didn't assign to my TA - no joke 6 hours one day and 8 hours the next on hold.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for all this helpful information! We’re technically Castaway Club members at the lowest level because we sailed on the Magic in 1998, during its inaugural season, but we haven’t cruised with DCL since then. I kind of have my eye on the DVC Member Cruise in September 2023 but expect it to be beyond what we can afford (and of course it’s at the height of hurricane season!).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've cruised with DVC twice and with RCCL a number of times. Overall we prefer RCCL even at the same price but each have things we like better than the other. As for using points, I've only seen one example where it made sense to do so and that was the first year of the AK cruise. The pricing made it roughly the same as renting out the points and doing cash, otherwise it's essentially always a lot more expensive. But like any such situation, I'd look at doing it both ways and then see what value you're getting for the points.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
I found this site to be helpful for general Disney cruise tips.

I found Costco Travel's onboard credit to be better in the past.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
DCL cruise discount alert! Go to the link provided by @mdurette (post 15). There are a ton of new discounts from NY, Miami, Port Canaveral and more.
@noreenkate

Seems they have lots of empty cabins.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
DCL cruise discount alert! Go to the link provided by @mdurette (post 15). There are a ton of new discounts from NY, Miami, Port Canaveral and more.
@noreenkate

Seems they have lots of empty cabins.
thanks for the heads up - but we are looking specifically for the “ Disney Wish” and those don’t appear discounted in the link yet…- not being bratty, but that ship has sentimental value for our family already-

nomoretslt

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up - but we are looking specifically for the “ Disney Wish” and those don’t appear discounted in the link yet…- not being bratty, but that ship has sentimental value for our family already-
Oh okay I guess I missed that in your posts. I think discounts for the Wish are a long way off. Maybe when the sister ship comes on line. I heard DCL is renovating a terminal at the Ft Lauderdale port. I hear people aren’t keen on leaving from Miami. And not too far from Vero Beach! And not bratty at all! We all know what we want! I heard the member cruise on the Wish for fall 2023 sold out within hours. The cash instead if points looked like a good deal.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think you are going to find discounts for the newest ship anytime soon.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
They some pretty decent deals (in terms of DCL) in this latest discount offering. Wonder if the Dream isn't doing to great running out of Miami.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
I’m so curious about your sentimental attachment to a brand new ship! Tell more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Disney cruise line has dropped its vaccine requirements (although you have to test negative one to two days before leaving). They have some pretty good prices on restricted verandah rooms (they choose the room for you). I used the link that @mdurette provided in post #15 above. Unfortunately my passport has expired so I need to take care of that before I pick a cruise. Prices are a few hundred dollars more for the same cruise we took in November 2012.