• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canada will end vaccine requirement for domestic and outbound international travelers

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I wonder if we still have to use the ArriveCan app ?

Bill

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Bill
For now, yes. A well-placed official I know tells me they are actively considering decommissioning ArriveCan soon (probably this fall).

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

You mean the " kill tourism to Canada App" ?

For now, yes. A well-placed official I know tells me they are actively considering decommissioning ArriveCan soon (probably this fall).

Decommissioned and scrapped forever - is my hope.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

I may be heading that way soon so I hope for no border problems, no rain , no fires, few bugs, nice weather and no flats.

Bill

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will drive to Ottawa next week from Pennsylvania. Is a copy of vaccine card sufficient to enter Canada with a valid US passport/ Thanks.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will drive to Ottawa next week from Pennsylvania. Is a copy of vaccine card sufficient to enter Canada with a valid US passport/ Thanks.
You must use ArriveCAN and summit your info within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
If you are flying into Pearson-Toronto the Fire Marshall has ordered airlines to hold passengers on the airplanes as the back-ups are danger to fire safety. Reading abut hours wait.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are flying into Pearson-Toronto the Fire Marshall has ordered airlines to hold passengers on the airplanes as the back-ups are danger to fire safety. Reading abut hours wait.
This has been an issue for several weeks now. People are just starting to pay attention since it’s not just mainly business travel now. Essentially they don’t have enough border agents to process people in a timely manner - and ArriveCAN slows things down.

Bottom line is if you are flying to Canada try to avoid connecting in Montreal or Toronto. They are both a mess. Calgary or Vancouver are much better options (for Air Canada hubs) if available.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ, ArriveCan does not slow things down. Preliminary information is entered on the app, then all you have to enter is the approx. time you will be at the border. Upon arrival you just scan the app, and voilà all your info is there. The problem is some people do not fill in the app ahead of time, which causes delays, then there they are attempting to type on their phones.
The delays happen because of lack of CBSA agents working, lack of coodination with the CBSA , the airport, the airlines not having enough staff for baggage handling etc.

middleoforchid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc, HPrincess, DSV2, MKO, MARtrust pts. Hokulani
I beg to differ, ArriveCan does not slow things down. Preliminary information is entered on the app, then all you have to enter is the approx. time you will be at the border. Upon arrival you just scan the app, and voilà all your info is there. The problem is some people do not fill in the app ahead of time, which causes delays, then there they are attempting to type on their phones.
The delays happen because of lack of CBSA agents working, lack of coodination with the CBSA , the airport, the airlines not having enough staff for baggage handling etc.
Agree with you totally. After the first time entering all vaccination, passport info into the app, from then on every trip(land or air) we only have to fill in arrival time and destination. Any updated vaccination info from your health provider is all linked automatically to the Arrive Can app when you show your passport or Nexus card! It takes max 5 minutes to fill in all data. Just do it the day before together with the E Declaration App.
It may be bothersome for inbound tourist but its definitely good for Canadians returning home:)

Last edited:

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Agree with you totally. After the first time entering all vaccination, passport info into the app, from then on every trip(land or air) we only have to fill in arrival time and destination. Any updated vaccination info from your health provider is all linked automatically to the Arrive Can app when you show your passport or Nexus card! It takes max 5 minutes to fill in all data. Just do it the day before together with the E Declaration App.
It may be bothersome for inbound tourist but its definitely good for Canadians returning home:)
I think it's very easy too. We didn't even have to show anything to Customs when coming into Vancouver airport from the US on the last trip. Much more straight-forward than the process I had to follow to go to Hawaii during the height of Covid. You do what you gotta do if you want to keep travelling.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We just got home from a few days in Sault Ste Marie so DD could go to her Nexus interview in SSM Michigan yesterday (way faster than waiting for one in Buffalo or Detroit). We spent the whole day in MI to sightsee in addition to her interview and while we on a locks cruise we got talking to some members of a large group of about 15-18 Mennonites who were on vacation. They all had gotten passports and had plans to enter Canada at the Soo, drive down to see Toronto then across to Niagara Falls and back to the US to return home. We told them they needed the ArriveCan app in addition to their passports and our DD showed them the app for it on her phone. The only one of the group with a smart phone was the non-Mennonite driver. He asked how to get the ArriveCan app for everybody when they didn't have smart phones. We suggested they go to the public library and use their computer to go to the website and apply that way as we didnt think he could have over a dozen dependents with different last names on his app. They were so thankful as they had no idea the app was needed and they would have spent a lot of time at the border getting everything in order for all those people!

~Diane

PS. DD got an email about 3 hrs after her interview that she had been approved and her Nexus card would be in the mail within a week or 2. :banana:

middleoforchid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t have a cell phone by choice only a tablet. When you show the passport or Nexus card…you don’t even need to show the Code generated by the Arrive Can, that’s what the border agents told me.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I don’t have a cell phone by choice only a tablet. When you show the passport or Nexus card…you don’t even need to show the Code generated by the Arrive Can, that’s what the border agents told me.

Yes, that is correct. When you fill out the ArriveCan info you need to upload your passport info/picture page. There are ways to do that without using a smart phone but it isnt as easy/fast. All your info is then visible to the border agent when they scan the passport.

~Diane

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, that is correct. When you fill out the ArriveCan info you need to upload your passport info/picture page. There are ways to do that without using a smart phone but it isnt as easy/fast. All your info is then visible to the border agent when they scan the passport.

~Diane
The question I have is why do you need to fill it out each time you cross? Should they not already have the vaccine record tied to your passport/Nexus from prior use?

if this continues it could be a huge invasion of privacy - apparently PHAC is holding onto the information for at least two years.

middleoforchid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After the first time filling in your passport and vaccination info, all that stays in your acct inside the App.
Your next and subsequent trips all u need to enter is destination+ date of arrival+ check off a few questions of whether u have Covid symptoms.

If everyone have done the Arrive Can, it should really speed up the process at Immigration, the officers would not have to ask you all those questions( same ones in the App) while you are standing there at the counter. The immigration officers do not need to ask to see your vaccination card since it’s already in the App with updated booster shots.
There is only passport and your health info in the App. Not sure of what kind of privacy?

Maybe w/ the App, the govt can keep a record of how many months total you have been away from Canada but if you don’t go over your 6 months limit…you should be fine.

The App is not that popular so it may be scrapped soon after this Covid situation stabilizes.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jabberwocky, as already mentioned you do not fill it out every time. You create an account with a password. Then you enter the information about your passport and your vaccines. This information stays on your app. Then whenever you return to Canada from a trip all you need to do is enter when you will entering Canada (date and approx. time). You can also save time at the airport by using ArriveCAN to answer customs and immigration questions before your flight lands in Canada. The Advance CBSA Declaration is optional.
What kind of invasion of privacy are you talking about. ArriveCan does not use any GPS or other technology to track your phone. You can also fill out this information online.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jabberwocky, as already mentioned you do not fill it out every time. You create an account with a password. Then you enter the information about your passport and your vaccines. This information stays on your app. Then whenever you return to Canada from a trip all you need to do is enter when you will entering Canada (date and approx. time). You can also save time at the airport by using ArriveCAN to answer customs and immigration questions before your flight lands in Canada. The Advance CBSA Declaration is optional.
What kind of invasion of privacy are you talking about. ArriveCan does not use any GPS or other technology to track your phone. You can also fill out this information online.
I do know how it works. I’ve filled it out again this morning, but I had to redo my kids passport numbers since it doesn’t seem to like dual citizenship (the kids have to travel under their US passport when we head stateside, but from Europe we use their Canadian passports coming back). You do have to fill it out before getting on a plane. Each time I’ve flown back to Canada the airline wants to see it before you get on a plane - but maybe some people enter the wrong information. It may be a small thing, but it’s 20-30 minutes of my day and I value that time. it could be better spent outside walking and taking in the countryside (or reading TUG!).

Contrast the ArriveCAN requirements to the EU. Earlier this month we flew into Frankfurt. We used our Swiss passports to enter. There was no line - we simply used our passport at the automated gate, it used the biometrics to recognize our face and we were in the country. We didn’t have to speak with anyone or enter any information. It used to be this way with the Nexus card (now you are lucky if you can get that renewed). Canada is so behind on technology - there is really no need for what we are doing with ArriveCAN. ArriveCAN serves zero purpose and simply delays things, particularly for frequent travelers.

I don’t want to make this political, but I don’t see why the Public Health Agency of Canada should be getting your travel information (healthcare is a Provincial responsibility). It is a slippery slope. Will we start tracking HIV status? How about those with diabetes, heart problems or other health conditions? Should we make you list every medication that you are on? We may want to exclude those tourists from the country since they could be a burden on the health system. Where does it stop?

I am definitely not a conspiracy theorist, but I’ve traveled and interacted enough with China to see what happens when the government starts using technology to track and restrict the movement of their citizens. I don’t want Canada starting down that road.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I do know how it works. I’ve filled it out again this morning, .......... but I don’t see why the Public Health Agency of Canada should be getting your travel information (healthcare is a Provincial responsibility). It is a slippery slope. Will we start tracking HIV status? How about those with diabetes, heart problems or other health conditions? Should we make you list every medication that you are on? We may want to exclude those tourists from the country since they could be a burden on the health system. Where does it stop?

I am definitely not a conspiracy theorist, but I’ve traveled and interacted enough with China to see what happens when the government starts using technology to track and restrict the movement of their citizens.

I don’t want Canada starting down that road.

Hi @jabberwocky - I agree 100%

Healthcare is a provincial responsibility - and the Federal Public Health Agency - does not have the right to keep and store my health information and my provincially administered vaccine details.

"That road" you refer to is the road to HE double hockey sticks.

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The question I have is why do you need to fill it out each time you cross? Should they not already have the vaccine record tied to your passport/Nexus from prior use?

if this continues it could be a huge invasion of privacy - apparently PHAC is holding onto the information for at least two years.

We were just discussing that with friends (also Canadians who, like us, travel a lot) this morning. Since the govt of Canada already knows we are fully vaccinated, and that info is tied to our passport, why do we need the ArriveCan app every time we return to Canada and put our arrival place, date and time? Who cares and why?!?

~Diane

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jabberwocky, you said “I don’t want to make this political, but I don’t see why the Public Health Agency of Canada should be getting your travel information”. I must be very dense, where on earth did you see that the PHAC gets our travel information. This must be one of those conspiracy theories floating around out there. Unless you can give me a Canadian government link that this is happening, sorry, I cannot believe that statement.