• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt taking over Welk..

DaveinJapan9

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
I sincerely hope things get better with the Welk Merger with the Hyatt system. The last three times I've come to a Welk Resort there has been drama ever since the merge. Twice in Los Cabos San Lucas, and once with the Welk Resort in Escondido. I realize there may be growing pains with the uncertainty with merged ownership, but so far, I'm really not satisfied. I've been to the update presentations, and my wife and I are six figures deep into it.

I'm almost resolved to finding somewhere else to visit/stay in Los Cabos San Lucas. I was told of another place today, and next time, I may take their suggestion.
My wife and I are really thinking about our options of even owning a "vacation package" at this point. My big question is: when they sold this "vacation package to us" they probably have a clause that if they are bought out or sell their operation, we still have to play by their rules, right? I ask because I went into it 6 years ago, not knowing they would merge with another organization. Had I known, I may not have signed.

The whole experience has been helter-skelter at best. I really hope it gets better, we'll see.....

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I sincerely hope things get better with the Welk Merger with the Hyatt system. The last three times I've come to a Welk Resort there has been drama ever since the merge. Twice in Los Cabos San Lucas, and once with the Welk Resort in Escondido. I realize there may be growing pains with the uncertainty with merged ownership, but so far, I'm really not satisfied. I've been to the update presentations, and my wife and I are six figures deep into it.

I'm almost resolved to finding somewhere else to visit/stay in Los Cabos San Lucas. I was told of another place today, and next time, I may take their suggestion.
My wife and I are really thinking about our options of even owning a "vacation package" at this point. My big question is: when they sold this "vacation package to us" they probably have a clause that if they are bought out or sell their operation, we still have to play by their rules, right? I ask because I went into it 6 years ago, not knowing they would merge with another organization. Had I known, I may not have signed.

The whole experience has been helter-skelter at best. I really hope it gets better, we'll see.....
Sorry to hear of your experience. I’m a Hyatt owner and have been very pleased. I hope things improve for you. As far as your contract, they can probably change the rules. Suggest you be patient if you have that much invested.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you can make the best out of it (common Tug wisdom since the costs are already sunk).

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The title seems odd. I would say that Welk sold out to Hyatt. It's not as if Hyatt strong-armed Welk and made them sell. IMHO, just hope Hyatt gives the Welkers a fair deal. However, given the structure of the HRC resort specific point assignments and the HPP entry price ($13K) to be a Portfolio member, it is probably a good deal to hide out in Interval.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am unclear on what happened at Sirena del Mar in Cabo San Lucas and Welk Resort Villas in Escondido.
Stay away from the "owner update". No matter what they call it, there is only one objective. It is NOT to help you understand how to maximize usage of your current ownership. It is to sell you more, whether you need it or not.

When they attempt to pressure you to attend a reservation, just say no, firmly, and walk away.

If you have questions about the Welk system ask here.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
The title seems odd. I would say that Welk sold out to Hyatt. It's not as if Hyatt strong-armed Welk and made them sell. IMHO, just hope Hyatt gives the Welkers a fair deal. However, given the structure of the HRC resort specific point assignments and the HPP entry price ($13K) to be a Portfolio member, it is probably a good deal to hide out in Interval.

To be fair, Welk was bought by MVC. MVC decided to put them under the HVC umbrella.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
I am unclear on what happened at Sirena del Mar in Cabo San Lucas and Welk Resort Villas in Escondido.
Stay away from the "owner update". No matter what they call it, there is only one objective. It is NOT to help you understand how to maximize usage of your current ownership. It is to sell you more, whether you need it or not.

When they attempt to pressure you to attend a reservation, just say no, firmly, and walk away.

If you have questions about the Welk system ask here.

Completely agree. Our family owns a lot of points with Welk. And every time I go on an "Owner's Update", they tell me that I don't have enough points. I have no problem going because I know what they are doing...and I like helping the marketing folks. But I go in making the calculation that the "gifts" are worthy of my time and knowing that I have no reason to buy more.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.

I was recently checking my New Year's reservation for a penthouse unit in Cabo and saw that it said that I was in a "garden" unit. I am still working to get that sorted. But, I was informed that they are in the process of upgrading the units in Cabo and thus the inventory is restricted. The point is, that despite the transition pains, I think this will eventually be a good thing for Welk owners. Just getting conversion access to Hyatt Hotels is arguably worth it. It will just take time to get the resorts up to Hyatt standards and for the legal teams to determine a viable consolidated program.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just getting conversion access to Hyatt Hotels is arguably worth it.

At this point it is speculation - but with both my HRC and HGVC ownerships the conversion from timeshare to hotel points has not been favorable for me, but is for them. There may be exceptions for expensive hotels, but most owners have expressed the same opinion in posts over the years. I would not count on that.

Access to Hyatt timeshares is another story.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
At this point it is speculation - but with both my HRC and HGVC ownerships the conversion from timeshare to hotel points has not been favorable for me, but is for them.

In all the years I've owned, I've never used my timeshare to stay in a Hyatt hotel. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd be able to trade my week for a night or two in a major city.

Reactions: Kal

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
In all the years I've owned, I've never used my timeshare to stay in a Hyatt hotel. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd be able to trade my week for a night or two in a major city.
I've used points for a Hyatt Hotel stay twice, but those were freebie Hotel points and never timeshare points. One was at Hyatt Regency Ka'anapali and the other was at the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris. A single Vendome room now goes for $1939 per night. Nice digs!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Agree. It is easy enough to get Hyatt or to transfer ultimate reward points. We use Hyatt hotel points to ex tend our timeshare stays. There are lots of Hyatt condos in Maui

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
At this point it is speculation - but with both my HRC and HGVC ownerships the conversion from timeshare to hotel points has not been favorable for me, but is for them. There may be exceptions for expensive hotels, but most owners have expressed the same opinion in posts over the years. I would not count on that.

Access to Hyatt timeshares is another story.
Agree. I also own with Vistana and the conversion of my "week" gets me a few nights in a so-so hotel. It will likely not be financially favorable. But it is an option that did not exist before.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
I did a test once: I (Theoretically) gave up my week at HRC Coconut plantation (7 nights) for Hyatt Hotel points, then went to the Hyatt hotel booking site and with the points I received from the exchange, I found that I could only reserve back the same type of unit at Hyatt Coconut plantation for 5 nights.

So, the margin,. or markup for Hyatt was the value of 2 nights . Once I saw the cost to me of two nights lost, I never again considered trading my HRC points for Hyatt Hotel points.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
So, the margin,. or markup for Hyatt was the value of 2 nights . Once I saw the cost to me of two nights lost, I never again considered trading my HRC points for Hyatt Hotel points.

I agree with your calculus. But this is (supposedly) to take care of owners who desperately want to visit Tokyo and spend points and not dollars. I'm told the Grand Hyatt hotel is lovely.