• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question on Lockoff and 13 month window for multiple weeks.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Just to keep it simple, if you own 2 weeks, you could book 13 months out consecutive weeks. If one of those weeks is a lockoff, I always thought you can book 13 weeks out for 3 consecutive weeks meaning 13 months out for week 1 reservation plus 1 week out, plus 1 week out.
The first MVCI rep I spoke with said given you only own two deeded weeks, you can only go out 13 months plus 1 week so the lockoff will need to be the same week for the reservation. I questioned this and she put me on hold and came back with same reply. It was the third week out that I was really looking for to book my MGO so I figured I would call back in a week.

I have come to learn to try twice to get a confirmation of an answer if it goes against what I think so I call an hour later.
I got a different rep who did what I wanted to do.

So the question is when you reserve with multiple weeks at the 13 month window are you limited to extending beyond 13 months by each deeded week you own or if you have lockoff how many weeks you can create from the lockoff. example, you own 3 weeks, two are lookoffs so you can book 13 months out plus 4 weeks.

Not a big deal but I am curious.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Technically, I expect you are limited to 13 months. The lockoff doesn’t add a week to your ownership, it’s part of the same week, single deed.

That said, given the inconsistency of MVCI processes, calling until you get the answer you want is a viable approach. :)

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to keep it simple, if you own 2 weeks, you could book 13 months out consecutive weeks. If one of those weeks is a lock-off, I always thought you can book 13 weeks out for 3 consecutive weeks meaning 13 months out for week 1 reservation plus 1 week out, plus 1 week out....
Theoretically, the two sides of a lock-off don't count as separate weeks. So you can certainly book week1 lock-off 1BR, week 2 other week you own, week 3 lock-off studio (or studio 1st and 1BR 3rd) but lock-off 1BR + lock-off studio + other week is sketchy. As @TXTortoise wrote, it probably depends on the CSR you get on the phone.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to keep it simple, if you own 2 weeks, you could book 13 months out consecutive weeks. If one of those weeks is a lockoff, I always thought you can book 13 weeks out for 3 consecutive weeks meaning 13 months out for week 1 reservation plus 1 week out, plus 1 week out.
The first MVCI rep I spoke with said given you only own two deeded weeks, you can only go out 13 months plus 1 week so the lockoff will need to be the same week for the reservation. I questioned this and she put me on hold and came back with same reply. It was the third week out that I was really looking for to book my MGO so I figured I would call back in a week.

I have come to learn to try twice to get a confirmation of an answer if it goes against what I think so I call an hour later.
I got a different rep who did what I wanted to do.

So the question is when you reserve with multiple weeks at the 13 month window are you limited to extending beyond 13 months by each deeded week you own or if you have lockoff how many weeks you can create from the lockoff. example, you own 3 weeks, two are lookoffs so you can book 13 months out plus 4 weeks.

Not a big deal but I am curious.
Your thinking is correct, you can lock off and book 4 weeks starting at 13 months from the first week with 2 units that are both lock off's. However, you can't just take one week, lock it off and book 2 weeks at 13 months out no matter how many weeks you own. You could take 2 studios from different owned weeks and book them together at 13 months out from the first week and any similar variation.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Consecutive or concurrent reservations must use weeks from at least two different ownership weeks. You can't own two weeks that both lock off and just use one of the weeks to book consecutively 13 months out. You must use a half from each one to book at 13 months.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Consecutive or concurrent reservations must use weeks from at least two different ownership weeks. You can't own two weeks that both lock off and just use one of the weeks to book consecutively 13 months out. You must use a half from each one to book at 13 months.

Then using your 2 lockoff example it sounds like you could book 4 consecutive reservations at 13 months out, 13m + 1 week out, 13m + 2 weeks out, and 13m + 3 weeks out? They may have to grab consecutive weeks from different deeds (if they even bother) but it should still be doable?

The OP may have been referring to a situation more like this (only with 2 deeds, 1 of them a lockoff unit, and then making 3 consecutive reservations) - using this logic I think that's still doable.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Then using your 2 lockoff example it sounds like you could book 4 consecutive reservations at 13 months out, 13m + 1 week out, 13m + 2 weeks out, and 13m + 3 weeks out? They may have to grab consecutive weeks from different deeds (if they even bother) but it should still be doable?

The OP may have been referring to a situation more like this (only with 2 deeds, 1 of them a lockoff unit, and then making 3 consecutive reservations) - using this logic I think that's still doable.
We own 2 weeks with lock off capability.
The HOPA / Ts & Cs definitely do not permit 4 consecutive reservations at 13 months out.
The maximum they allow us is 2 consecutive reservations at 13 months out using both weeks (either Master or Guest Suite once locked off)
That is not to say it doesn’t happen, but if it does it is due to Owner Services agents perhaps unknowingly using a loophole in the system?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 2 weeks with lock off capability.
The HOPA / Ts & Cs definitely do not permit 4 consecutive reservations at 13 months out.
The maximum they allow us is 2 consecutive reservations at 13 months out using both weeks (either Master or Guest Suite once locked off)
That is not to say it doesn’t happen, but if it does it is due to Owner Services agents perhaps unknowingly using a loophole in the system?
Barry, I haven't seen the Docs for the resorts overseas but have seen a number of them for the US and we've had some big discussions on this issue over the years, likely the most intense ones from the before you joined, esp from the old boards. I'm not sure when the 13 month rule came into existence, I know it wasn't there when Grande Ocean was built, I'm thinking it was around the turn of the century give or take. We dove into this pretty deep and there were some strong feelings from some people who were upset about this. The point of discussion was slightly different, it was whether the 13 month option ONLY applied to weeks at a given resort rather than weeks owned in the system. There was also some consideration whether it was only for personal use, not rental or exchange. For the ones that actually included the 13 month option in the POS that were discussed directly, the wording was vague enough such that one could not prevent the 13 month option from any resort and hold it to only that resort. In addition, the fact that MVC has total control of the reservation system without input (per the POS's) was what allows them to adjust the procedures in this manner. IIRC, Maui was the one outlier where one could have made that case but even then it wasn't absolute. For many years I've made a running string of 13 month reservations. I reserve 9 Grande Ocean weeks concurrently but could do all 9 consecutively if I wanted as long as it was in season.

A number of the resorts that were looked at had the wording "if you own two or more weeks at the resort, you can make concurrent or consecutive week reservations 13 months in advance". At the time it was generally held that did not restrict the 13 month interpretation by MVC and I believe that is the current and correct interpretation as well.

Two other considerations were whether the fixed week options could be used for the 13 month reservation priority and whether the weeks had to align perfectly considering the start day of the week. Early on the interpretations was that fixed weeks did't count and that that the dates had to match up perfectly. Both have changed along the way to include fixed weeks and to allow different start days on otherwise consecutive weeks.

I am curious as to what wording in the docs would preclude more than 2 weeks at the same resort that was in season. I'm also curious as to the wording that addresses the 13 month option for those resorts .

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barry, I haven't seen the Docs for the resorts overseas but have seen a number of them for the US and we've had some big discussions on this issue over the years, likely the most intense ones from the before you joined, esp from the old boards. I'm not sure when the 13 month rule came into existence, I know it wasn't there when Grande Ocean was built, I'm thinking it was around the turn of the century give or take. We dove into this pretty deep and there were some strong feelings from some people who were upset about this. The point of discussion was slightly different, it was whether the 13 month option ONLY applied to weeks at a given resort rather than weeks owned in the system. There was also some consideration whether it was only for personal use, not rental or exchange. For the ones that actually included the 13 month option in the POS that were discussed directly, the wording was vague enough such that one could not prevent the 13 month option from any resort and hold it to only that resort. In addition, the fact that MVC has total control of the reservation system without input (per the POS's) was what allows them to adjust the procedures in this manner. IIRC, Maui was the one outlier where one could have made that case but even then it wasn't absolute. For many years I've made a running string of 13 month reservations. I reserve 9 Grande Ocean weeks concurrently but could do all 9 consecutively if I wanted as long as it was in season.

A number of the resorts that were looked at had the wording "if you own two or more weeks at the resort, you can make concurrent or consecutive week reservations 13 months in advance". At the time it was generally held that did not restrict the 13 month interpretation by MVC and I believe that is the current and correct interpretation as well.

Two other considerations were whether the fixed week options could be used for the 13 month reservation priority and whether the weeks had to align perfectly considering the start day of the week. Early on the interpretations was that fixed weeks did't count and that that the dates had to match up perfectly. Both have changed along the way to include fixed weeks and to allow different start days on otherwise consecutive weeks.

I am curious as to what wording in the docs would preclude more than 2 weeks at the same resort that was in season. I'm also curious as to the wording that addresses the 13 month option for those resorts .
There is nothing to preclude booking 2 consecutive weeks at the same resort (or different resorts) that was in season at 13 months, as far as I know.
If that was the way my post read, what I meant was that you couldn’t string together multiple weeks of locked off Master / Guest suites at 13 months.
I am on holiday in Turkey just now, so I don’t have my agreements to hand, but I will look up the specific wording when I get home.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is nothing to preclude booking 2 consecutive weeks at the same resort (or different resorts) that was in season at 13 months, as far as I know.
If that was the way my post read, what I meant was that you couldn’t string together multiple weeks of locked off Master / Guest suites at 13 months.
I am on holiday in Turkey just now, so I don’t have my agreements to hand, but I will look up the specific wording when I get home.
Thanks Barry, I understood your point. I was simply giving background on previous discussions I was aware of. I don't recall previous statements that would preclude more than 2 weeks consecutively. When you get access, I'd love to see the wording that would preclude more than 2 weeks to be reserved under the 13 month rule.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Barry, I understood your point. I was simply giving background on previous discussions I was aware of. I don't recall previous statements that would preclude more than 2 weeks consecutively. When you get access, I'd love to see the wording that would preclude more than 2 weeks to be reserved under the 13 month rule.
OK, I understand.
Just to be clear, I had not seen any wording that would preclude more than 2 (non locked off) weeks to be reserved under the 13 month rule.
The only restriction would have been for reserving multiple locked off such weeks, e,g Master, Guest, Master, Guest in whatever combination.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK

OK, I understand.
Just to be clear, I had not seen any wording that would preclude more than 2 (non locked off) weeks to be reserved under the 13 month rule.
The only restriction would have been for reserving multiple locked off such weeks, e,g Master, Guest, Master, Guest in whatever combination.
So it gets more convoluted? One can book more than 2 weeks but they can't be lock off's?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
So it gets more convoluted? One can book more than 2 weeks but they can't be lock off's?
Perhaps I am just tired at the end of a long day and so not explaining myself well?
Yes, if say you own for example 6 weeks in a season you can book 6 consecutive weeks at 13 months out from the first week.
So effectively you are booking the last week of the sequence 14.5 months out.
I am sure that you probably know that though.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I am just tired at the end of a long day and so not explaining myself well?
Yes, if say you own for example 6 weeks in a season you can book 6 consecutive weeks at 13 months out from the first week.
So effectively you are booking the last week of the sequence 14.5 months out.
I am sure that you probably know that though.
But not 12 weeks with lock off's assuming they are bookable due to the seasons? You've thrown me a wrinkle and I'm trying to understand the implications.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
But not 12 weeks with lock off's assuming they are bookable due to the seasons? You've thrown me a wrinkle and I'm trying to understand the implications.
Others here may be better able to answer this than me, but I believe 12 weeks yes (with lock offs no)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Others here may be better able to answer this than me, but I believe 12 weeks yes (with lock offs no)
Thanks Barry, hopefully someone can chime in with additional information. I am certain this is not a general preclusion across the system, thus I am curious what might be different about some of the international resorts. One thing I've seen in timeshares and in life, that sometimes people make up their own rules either purposefully or by misunderstanding. I've seen it many times with MVC but usually it's just a rogue rep.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Didn't most of the resorts update their reservation procedures around 2010 and clarify/update as it pertains to 13 month reservations?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
As an example, at Marriott Phuket Beach Club in Thailand, there are specific rules about reserving Christmas and New Year's weeks at 13 months for multi-week owners.

Inventory is released at a specific time 13 months in advance for eligible owners to reserve, which means someone who owns 2 weeks, can book week 51 and week 52, at 13 months before week 51. But if someone owns 3 weeks for example, one cannot reserve weeks 50, 51, 52, at 13 months before week 50, because inventory for weeks 51 and 52 is not yet released at that point.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
As an example, at Marriott Phuket Beach Club in Thailand, there are specific rules about reserving Christmas and New Year's weeks at 13 months for multi-week owners.

Inventory is released at a specific time 13 months in advance for eligible owners to reserve, which means someone who owns 2 weeks, can book week 51 and week 52, at 13 months before week 51. But if someone owns 3 weeks for example, one cannot reserve weeks 50, 51, 52, at 13 months before week 50, because inventory for weeks 51 and 52 is not yet released at that point.

Is this resort-specific or Marriott-wide?

I was actually literally going to try tomorrow to chain some reservations at NCV and include PP Week 26 in there at 13 months + 2 weeks. Based on what you say, that might not be feasible?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Is this resort-specific or Marriott-wide?

I was actually literally going to try tomorrow to chain some reservations at NCV and include PP Week 26 in there at 13 months + 2 weeks. Based on what you say, that might not be feasible?

I think this restriction is specific to Phuket.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I just bought my 2nd Marriott resale week (not yet closed) , but it’s an EOY odd. Will I have access to the 13 month booking window for 2023? Or do I need to own 2 EY timeshares to have the 13 month booking window?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just bought my 2nd Marriott resale week (not yet closed) , but it’s an EOY odd. Will I have access to the 13 month booking window for 2023? Or do I need to own 2 EY timeshares to have the 13 month booking window?
Is the week you already own an EOY or annual week? If annual, you can reserve using 13 month rule if you are booking consecutive or concurrent with both weeks. This would only work in odd years. If your current ownership is an EOY Even, then you won't be able to reserve at 13 months.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Is the week you already own an EOY or annual week? If annual, you can reserve using 13 month rule if you are booking consecutive or concurrent with both weeks. This would only work in odd years. If your current ownership is an EOY Even, then you won't be able to reserve at 13 months.
Thanks! My original is an annual, so it seems I’ll get 13 month access in odd years. Yippee. An Extra benefit I didn’t contemplate.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks! My original is an annual, so it seems I’ll get 13 month access in odd years. Yippee. An Extra benefit I didn’t contemplate.
It will also only work if the weeks/seasons you are booking line up to allow for consecutive or concurrent reservations.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this restriction is specific to Phuket.
Just to add a little on the specifics and complexity of Phuket Beach Club, it has 2 “Phases”
With a Phase 1 purchase, weeks 50&51&52 are all Platinum season
With a Phase 2 purchase, week 50 is Platinum season but weeks 51&52 are Platinum Plus Fixed (not Fixed units though)