• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC new loyalty tiers for direct owners

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
From what I have read in filings Diamond has 400,000+ and Hilton has 220,000+

Everyone or almost everyone on the Hilton side is HGVC. But how many on the DRI side are in "the club" or one of the point trusts that will be most compatible with HGV Max ???

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Everyone or almost everyone on the Hilton side is HGVC. But how many on the DRI side are in "the club" or one of the point trusts that will be most compatible with HGV max???
Good point. I have no idea. I image a lot are deed weeks owners.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I may be a skeptic but I just don't see them grandfathering your Elite status over to Centum Max status for $7k, and as other have stated you will be booking lower rated resorts.

If you will:
HCNY/BHC 5 star
HGVC 4.5 star
HVC 4 star (rebranded DRI)
DRI Clubs/leftovers 3.5 star

HGMax is just an umbrella over these 4 the way I understand it.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I may be a skeptic but I just don't see them grandfathering your Elite status over to Centum Max status for $7k, and as other have stated you will be booking lower rated resorts.

If you will:
HCNY/BHC 5 star
HGVC 4.5 star

There are many DRI that are just barely 3 star and I'm not convinced all HVC will be 4 star. Look at Bell Rock Inn for example. The good news is, Hilton won't reflag them until they meet standards. I wonder if there are some they will simply sell off.

I think HGVMax will be like Wyndham/Worldmark Travelshare. A lot of owners hate it and feel its a waste of money because of lack of availability.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

If you will:
HCNY/BHC 5 star
HGVC 4.5 star

I think the DRI leftover clubs will be outside of the Max umbrella. Some of the resorts aren't upgradable to HVC level (upscsale) and many of those are in places that just aren't financially viable for them to put money into (Orlando/Kissimmee). Those will probably remain with DRI, but not available to Max members.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
In a nutshell I think I would recoup ~$1000-$1500 a year in benefits assuming the perks above do not get added to my existing Elite Premier Legacy membership.
I think that you are "counting the chickens before they hatch". I would suggest that you wait until the HGV Max program is actually released before you make a decision.

First, we know that these HGV Max elite benefits are all benefits taken from the DRI side. It certainly is possible that they will only apply to booking HGV resorts and not apply to HGVC.

Secondly, this is only in draft form being leaked from the sales team. I would wait until the final product is released.

These are just my thoughts. I am very disappointed in how HGV has rolled out this program. Honestly, HGV hasn't rolled out, they are just selling something called HGV Max with very little information on the program.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Honestly, HGV hasn't rolled out, they are just selling something called HGV Max with very little information on the program.
Kinda like buying a car sight unseen and with no details on its specifications. But with the car you would at least have some intrinsic value. With this, you can't sell it and are out the $7K if you don't get value from it.

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that you are "counting the chickens before they hatch". I would suggest that you wait until the HGV Max program is actually released before you make a decision.

First, we know that these HGV Max elite benefits are all benefits taken from the DRI side. It certainly is possible that they will only apply to booking HGV resorts and not apply to HGVC.

Secondly, this is only in draft form being leaked from the sales team. I would wait until the final product is released.

These are just my thoughts. I am very disappointed in how HGV has rolled out this program. Honestly, HGV hasn't rolled out, they are just selling something called HGV Max with very little information on the program.

I am with you on the prelaunch of the program and how information is being disseminated. It is sad that it is being handled this way.

I also was clear I am not spending a dime on anything until the program is fully cemented. Totally crazy that anyone is buying anything at this point with the program being so up in the air.

The point of my post is just to note that there are some owners, me included, who don't agree with the masses that there is no value in HGVC Elite and the idea of HGVMax is not ridiculous when I look at how it would enhance my ownership and what my cost would be to partake in it assuming the $7000 buyin is correct and the above mentioned details are all benefits I will not have moving forward as a Legacy Elite Premier owner.

Reactions: atl

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I may be a skeptic but I just don't see them grandfathering your Elite status over to Centum Max status for $7k...
No grandfathering required. If you have 100K points and you join Max, by definition you will have Centum Max status, since the Max status tiers are based on how many points you own.

Kurt

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No grandfathering required. If you have 100K points and you join Max, by definition you will have Centum Max status, since the Max status tiers are based on how many points you own.

Kurt
Just wondering what the average cost per point is for Hilton? I've only purchased resale.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges

Kurt
It will be interesting to see what points count in Max for Tiers. Elite Eligible only or all....I know you need some sort of retail to get in but we will see how the total adds up. I know in our sales update, the sales person commented that additional resale after joining will add to your total but not sure what that means. I guess we will find out when it actually happens.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It will be interesting to see what points count in Max for Tiers. Elite Eligible only or all....I know you need some sort of retail to get in but we will see how the total adds up. I know in our sales update, the sales person commented that additional resale after joining will add to your total but not sure what that means. I guess we will find out when it actually happens.
Correct. I was assuming the 100K points were all "elite qualifying" points. If some of them are not, then I wouldn't expect them to count toward the MAX tiers either.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just wondering what the average cost per point is for Hilton? I've only purchased resale.
I've only purchased resale as well, but I am Elite Premier due to purchasing Elite-qualifying resales in the past. Those may not qualify for the Max tiers, but since I don't see me joining Max, it doesn't really matter to me.

Kurt

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The other thing to consider is what you will be losing (or possibly losing) by joining HGV Max.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
Actually I am not so sure the $7000 is "ridiculous" depending on how the benefits end up shaking out to go from Elite Premier to HGVMax Centum +.
I have been a loyal HGVC Elite Premier member for 15+ years now and have enjoyed Elite status for many years when most have said it provides no value.
I also own a Vistana Week to access their point system and a Welk package to play within their system as well.

Here is what I see from HGV Max

1)I typically use open season for weekend trips to Vegas vs Points as the Elite Cash rate is a great value.. I would probably burn up a good chunk of the $1000 a year in this benefit most years

2)Exclusive booking windows offering priority access to accommodations. This would actually be the key for me as I am Elite Premier but my points are owned at an affiliate where I don't stay.

3)Access to South Lake Tahoe and other locations which I do not currently have access to through HGVC - Yes I could buy a cheap week but I would prefer to be able to book it through my HGVC account and points. This is a location I would use several times a year. As an FYI I owned Diamond Lake Tahoe Vacation resort before and if it wasn't for Diamond being a horrid company I would still own it.

4)Extra $100 in Lyft pass benefit a year which I definitely would use

5)Loyalty Search requests before the 9 month window. Depending on how this works this in itself could help pay for an upgrade fee quickly for someone like me who typically travels only during peak times.

6)$100 yearly resort credit

7)Guaranteed late checkout with Centum which is not currently guaranteed with Elite Premier

In a nutshell I think I would recoup ~$1000-$1500 a year in benefits assuming the perks above do not get added to my existing Elite Premier Legacy membership. I also think that the new resorts and some booking advantages would provide even more value to a program I already really enjoy. In a nutshell I see it as a 4-5 year ROI assuming the investment would be $7k. There is no doubt the 6 month booking window is a head scratcher but I think I would still pull the trigger on it if the details above end up correct. I would definitely say though that I have no desire to increase my MF any more with new points as I am definitely not in need of more.
Just to clarify. Elite Premier (old 34,000 retail points, new 54,000 retail points) crosswalks to Premier Plus in HGV Max, NOT Centum. Benefits are similar to Elite Premier but lose the 30% Open Season discount in favor of $700 credit toward OS - a downgrade, to me. Centum (>100,000 new retail points, corresponds to 62,500 old retail points) has those benefits you listed. I am Elite Premier and have 103,000 points - 67,000 of which are retail; the rest are resale deeds. I do not qualify for Centum. I have to think that the number of owners with >100,000 retail points are very limited. Because conservative estimate at $8 per point for 62,500 is $500,000. Or they purchased retail-qualifying affiliates.

I did make the switch to Max after swapping out gold deed W57 (that cost me $760 resale) for platinum version for roughly $12500 (factoring in bonus points cash value). So I will be Premier Plus and, sadly, no longer legacy Elite Premier. Reading the club rules pdf that is updated each year, the entire Elite system and all described benefits can be modified canceled or taken away at any time for no reason at all. HGVC as a company is all in on MAX and these new tiers seem to be the future. I wouldn’t be surprised to see legacy elite benefits change in time (not for the better).

Sean

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The point of my post is just to note that there are some owners, me included, who don't agree with the masses that there is no value in HGVC Elite
Well, to me the only benefits worthwhile on elite levels have been fee bookings, free save pts and free guest certificates at Elite Premier level. I really haven't received any other benefits. Now, to me these are good benefets, but it looks like they are only worth about $100/year. Because all HGV Max will get most of these benefits for their increased club dues. So, I don't know what benefits you are referring to.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Reading the club rules pdf that is updated each year, the entire Elite system and all described benefits can be modified canceled or taken away at any time for no reason at all.
This will also apply to HGV Max Elite benefits.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N
Just to clarify. Elite Premier (old 34,000 retail points, new 54,000 retail points) crosswalks to Premier Plus in HGV Max, NOT Centum. Benefits are similar to Elite Premier but lose the 30% Open Season discount in favor of $700 credit toward OS - a downgrade, to me. Centum (>100,000 new retail points, corresponds to 62,500 old retail points) has those benefits you listed. I am Elite Premier and have 103,000 points - 67,000 of which are retail; the rest are resale deeds. I do not qualify for Centum. I have to think that the number of owners with >100,000 retail points are very limited. Because conservative estimate at $8 per point for 62,500 is $500,000. Or they purchased retail-qualifying affiliates.

I did make the switch to Max after swapping out gold deed W57 (that cost me $760 resale) for platinum version for roughly $12500 (factoring in bonus points cash value). So I will be Premier Plus and, sadly, no longer legacy Elite Premier. Reading the club rules pdf that is updated each year, the entire Elite system and all described benefits can be modified canceled or taken away at any time for no reason at all. HGVC as a company is all in on MAX and these new tiers seem to be the future. I wouldn’t be surprised to see legacy elite benefits change in time (not for the better).

Sean
How many more points?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This will also apply to HGV Max Elite benefits.
In what other business do you spend that kind of money on something that can be discounted or devalued at any time?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
So, interestingly, someone on FB from the DRI side is logging into a Max portal so I guess they are but HGV folks aren't yet. This is her login screen.

1652495833737.png

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
N

How many more points?
It was a 3750 Studio Plus Gold that I converted to 5250 Studio Plus Platinum. I still think in old points - will be a while before new point values are in my mental Rolodex. So there was no change in MF. I’ve posted in several threads how I have leveraged several resale BHC deeds that cost me a fraction but provided high dollar equity on my last couple of “upgrades.”

Sean

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, to me the only benefits worthwhile on elite levels have been fee bookings, free save pts and free guest certificates at Elite Premier level. I really haven't received any other benefits. Now, to me these are good benefets, but it looks like they are only worth about $100/year. Because all HGV Max will get most of these benefits for their increased club dues. So, I don't know what benefits you are referring to.

Elite Premier with 77k pre inflation points and 123k post inflation points. $100 is no where close to the value that I saw in Elite Premier benefits last year.

1)Hard to Value but well over $1000 in Value just in MF for 4 Unit Upgrades - Especially when 3 of 4 happened in Hawaii and involved Ocean View Upgrades
2)$250 Lyft Credit while on vacation
3)NO reservation Fees or Guest Certificate Fees - I didn't add it up but with 100k+ in points and several guest certificates a year it's hard to think this didn't value a minimum of $600-$700 LAST YEAR
4)30% Open Season Discount - Varies every year but last year I would estimate it at $200 + / -
5)Several late 2PM checkouts - Huge difference in quality of our travel with this benefit. - Hard to monetize but I know early and late checkouts seem to be garnering $50-$100 fees recently at other properties I stay at for work.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
3)NO reservation Fees or Guest Certificate Fees - I didn't add it up but with 100k+ in points and several guest certificates a year it's hard to think this didn't value a minimum of $600-$700 LAST YEAR
I think that you misunderstood my post (or actually I wasn't clear). I do value the free reservations much more than $100 but now all HGV Max members will get that benefits (for increased club dues of $281-193 = $98). So free saved pts and free reservations will no longer be an elite benefit. This actually will reduce elite benefits significantly, IMO.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank you @MattnTricia. Very interesting analysis. Usage does change and Elite has more value when you get more points e.g. more guest certificates for family. Enjoy your travels.

eleigh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right, from what I can tell they can only be booked on Hilton.com. I wonder if they are still bookable on the DRI member site?
I own a floating deeded resale week in Tahoe. I just booked through the the Diamond website this week.