• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Baby formula shortage is hitting home

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We have twin grandbabies who are 4.5 months old, and they seem to do well with Similac Advance Pro formula powder. I don't think there is a can left in Colorado anywhere. Our daughter-in-law tried other formulas, and it's not gone well with the babies. They either won't drink it because it is not the same flavor, or they drink it and throw it up right after drinking it. She is frustrated with the entire thing.

Amazon doesn't have it. I am going to go to Sprouts and our local Kroger and Safeway. She suggested Walgreens. We know Walmart doesn't have it in the state. She has ordered it from various stores to pick up, and the order gets cancelled. My aunt in Wyoming will be watching for some.

What a strange issue to have? Does anyone know why this shortage is happening (without getting political). Do the factories not have the ingredients due to trucking problems? What is going on? This is scary. I told my daughter-in-law that we should have looked at the stores in Orlando while we were there for 3 weeks. But we didn't know it would be this dire.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
FDA shut down the largest plant/producer of baby formula in the entire country back in feb.

likely to get worse before it gets better if you consider how crazy folks got when the news of a toilet paper shortage became more and more a reality....

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
FDA shut down the largest plant/producer of baby formula in the entire country back in feb.

likely to get worse before it gets better if you consider how crazy folks got when the news of a toilet paper shortage became more and more a reality....
Was that associated with Similac? I never heard about that.

Babies not having formula would definitely create a panic. I know I am starting to feel it. The babies have about a two-week supply left before it's gone.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have twin grandbabies who are 4.5 months old, and they seem to do well with Similac Advance Pro formula powder. I don't think there is a can left in Colorado anywhere. Our daughter-in-law tried other formulas, and it's not gone well with the babies. They either won't drink it because it is not the same flavor, or they drink it and throw it up right after drinking it. She is frustrated with the entire thing.

Amazon doesn't have it. I am going to go to Sprouts and our local Kroger and Safeway. She suggested Walgreens. We know Walmart doesn't have it in the state. She has ordered it from various stores to pick up, and the order gets cancelled. My aunt in Wyoming will be watching for some.

What a strange issue to have? Does anyone know why this shortage is happening (without getting political). Do the factories not have the ingredients due to trucking problems? What is going on? This is scary. I told my daughter-in-law that we should have looked at the stores in Orlando while we were there for 3 weeks. But we didn't know it would be this dire.
My understanding is there was a recall

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Babies not having formula would definitely create a panic. I know I am starting to feel it. The babies have about a two-week supply left before it's gone.

It doesn't matter which brand got shut down. Once it ran out everyone who normally buys that buys something else. Then the rumors of a shortage cause people to stock up, which drains inventory even further.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Really scary, hopefully the Stugis Michigan plant will start back up in Two to Three weeks.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard about the problem on the news. Stores have been limiting the amount people can buy . Check with the babies doctors office for ? samples was one suggestion. They also suggested for older infants that can transition off formula to whole milk maybe to do so .

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I find it concerning that you post a fact related to the topic and it is immediately deleted due to it 'being political'.
I originally posted the links and I agree with the moderator's decision. It's political football.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With recent happenings in the last few years I have to wonder if some shortages are actually being created deliberately in order to force up prices or increase profits. I see it happening with automobiles, so why can't it happen with baby formula. Yes, I realize a baby formula plant was shut down, and I realize a shortage of "chips" are wreaking havoc with automobiles, but the question is to exactly what extent ?

These big Companies have very smart folks running them all over the USA. One would think that they always have some alternate production plans (i.e. back up plans) in case of any issues during the manufacturing process.......... We can't continue to blame everything on Covid forever.

Car shortage is because of computer chips. That is apparently true. I agree we cannot blame the last two years forever.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was working on a Walmart order in between reading post here and checked our local walmart. Not available, but it was to order from corporate. I did notice the heading "not included in recall" . So folks that were using the recalled stuff needed to find something as an alternative, which probably is causing this shortage.
Capture.PNG

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

Apparently, bacteria in the MI plant which caused it to be shut down. At least 2 babies died from drinking the batch. I recall this happening, bacteria in a Blue Bunny Ice Cream plant a few years back.

Goat's milk is supposed to be a very good alternative, in addition to the evaporated milk & Karo syrup homemade recipe which many moms used years ago.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently, bacteria in the MI plant which caused it to be shut down. At least 2 babies died from drinking the batch. I recall this happening, bacteria in a Blue Bunny Ice Cream plant a few years back.

Goat's milk is supposed to be a very good alternative, in addition to the evaporated milk & Karo syrup homemade recipe which many moms used years ago.

Something similar happened many years ago. There's an immunological treatment (non-chemotherapy) for bladder cancer. Only 3 companies make it in North America (that the FDA has authorized for availability in the US). One plant the FDA shutdown because of mold contamination, there was an other in Canada I think that also had contamination issues, resulting in only one plant left. Or maybe it was vice versa. Many patients were left waiting months to get their treatments (you could get the drug from say, Europe, if you somehow traveled there or something) but the FDA wouldn't allow for those companies to distribute here in the US.

It's unfortunate that this happens.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@rickandcindy23 I doubt I can work a miracle here, but I live in a completely different part of the country. Want to send me the formula info and I'll look around here? If I find some I'm happy to ship. LMK how I can assist.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was working on a Walmart order in between reading post here and checked our local walmart. Not available, but it was to order from corporate. I did notice the heading "not included in recall" . So folks that were using the recalled stuff needed to find something as an alternative, which probably is causing this shortage.
View attachment 54631
That's the very thing she is trying to find.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@rickandcindy23 I doubt I can work a miracle here, but I live in a completely different part of the country. Want to send me the formula info and I'll look around here? If I find some I'm happy to ship. LMK how I can assist.
The picture @mdurette posted is exactly what we need. That would be so helpful.

With grocery stores doing easy pickup since Covid, if you order, it will probably tell you after you try that it is out of stock.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
The picture @mdurette posted is exactly what we need. That would be so helpful.

With grocery stores doing easy pickup since Covid, if you order, it will probably tell you after you try that it is out of stock.
Thanks for that picture - I didn't read the entire thread. I'll look around. This is particularly scary for your family as there are 2 babies involved. This is so sad & upsetting to me.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, some people on social media are criticizing moms for not breastfeeding! That is not always an option. My DIL and her friends are all new mothers. One has to bottle feed bc of her medications. Another lost her milk supply after getting covid. (I have heard of this twice now). My heart goes out to the parents of babies, who just want to feed them!