• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Koala warns Wyndham is cancelling reservations based on Wyndham's "updated policy" Anyone know what's up?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

WManning

Reaction score
I've now seen three individuals on FB who state they've gotten the letter, and a common thread is that they've all posted a rental on Facebook. It may or may not be the reason, but that would put them all within Wyndham's commercial use definition. Unlike many other sites, Facebook is typically real names, so low-hanging fruit for Wyndham.
Not all are real names on facebook.

WManning

Reaction score
There is certainly more rental activity from a few Wyndham renters in the TUG Last Minute Rentals forum than just the poor sap who wanted to rent ONE reservation.

If this is the case, Wyndham should take a better look at where the real problem lies.
Last minute rentals used to be 90% Wyndham. After the elimination of resale points and the "letters" that were sent out Wyndham rentals are not the majority. I would say Wyndham has started to eliminate some abuse of the system.

WManning

Reaction score
I can honestly say that every Wyndham reservation I ever rented was intended to maintain solvency on my maintenance fees. Does that take them out of the commercial use category (in Koala's view, not Wyndham's)?
If any of your rentals were above your cost ($/1000) of maintenance fees would Wyndham consider it "commercial use"? If you sold a few million resale points after receiving a "letter" I would honstly say Wyndham looks more at the number of points used with GC`s then what a owner says "honestly".

WManning

Reaction score
We have initial confirmation that the emails/letters do appear to be legitimate - and that anyone who takes issue with the communication with regard to their specific account should follow up via the email address provided in the letter. We have additional asks in for more details however I do not expect additional clarity to be provided based upon past experience surrounding the rental rules asks that have been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What benefit is it to Wyndham if they clarified what commercial use is? Keep it a moving target where they can enforce what is being abused.

WManning

Reaction score
True, but people not using their real names are in violation of Facebook policy terms and conditions.
Posters that use real names are the most transparent, considerate and respectful. It's quite common for posters using a alias to be insulting, obnoxious and rude at times IMHO.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
If any of your rentals were above your cost ($/1000) of maintenance fees would Wyndham consider it "commercial use"? If you sold a few million resale points after receiving a "letter" I would honstly say Wyndham looks more at the number of points used with GC`s then what a owner says "honestly".

My point was about Koala's definition, not Wyndham's. Too bad you missed it.

troy12n

Reaction score
*REMOVED*

A polite reminder of forum rules:

Be Courteous

As we read and respond to others, disagreements are inevitable. Differing points of view are welcomed, and indeed the bbs would be a dull place without them. All users are expected and required to express their disagreements civilly. Refrain from name calling and behavior lectures. Personal attacks will not be tolerated and repeated offenses could get you banned from the bbs. Lively discussion is what the board is all about, but that is no excuse for boorish behavior or bad manners. We are assumed to all be adults. If you don't like a particular thread, stop reading it!

Last edited by a moderator:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
*REMOVED*

Avoid posting about politics, religion, or contentious social issues

Unless directly related to timesharing, such discussions are prohibited in these forums, including TUG Lounge. We've been down that road before, it was ugly, and we are not going there again.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
*QUOTED CONTENT REMOVED DUE TO FORUM RULES REMINDER*

Oddly enough, TESS doesn't list any such registered mark.

The symbol ® should be an indication that the mark is registered - if you are seeking such a registration, you need to wait until it happens before using that symbol. You could use either the symbol SM for it as an unregistered service mark or TM for it as an unregistered trademark. To have any protections, of course, you'd need to be able to demonstrate a use in commerce of the mark. See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_mark for an explanation of how service marks work. Not intended as legal advice, but https://www.justia.com/intellectual-property/trademarks/strength-of-marks/descriptive-marks/ also provides a discussion of the limitations on using descriptive terms like that as marks and the weakness of any protection that might be afforded them.

BTW, hoarding and selling to the highest bidder seem more like they would be actions taken by a broker or postcard timeshare exit company than actions I would expect a megarenter to take. My expectations would be that those folks would try to get as many high value stays booked as they can at as low a cost as possible, then rent them out at a profit. All indications seem to point to Wyndham cracking down on folks that only rent one stay, so my interpretation might be wrong.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
*REMOVED*

Avoid posting about politics, religion, or contentious social issues

Unless directly related to timesharing, such discussions are prohibited in these forums, including TUG Lounge. We've been down that road before, it was ugly, and we are not going there again.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
What benefit is it to Wyndham if they clarified what commercial use is? Keep it a moving target where they can enforce what is being abused.

I've made this same observation myself on multiple threads in the past - so I concur with your assessment in that respect - but it doesn't prevent me from making the ask in hopes that we may gleam tidbits over time that can help us to piece together the overall strategy being executed (assuming there is one).

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've made this same observation myself on multiple threads in the past - so I concur with your assessment in that respect - but it doesn't prevent me from making the ask in hopes that we may gleam tidbits over time that can help us to piece together the overall strategy being executed (assuming there is one).

Rather than obsess over a precise definition of "commercial use," which most of us agree will not be forthcoming, a better approach might be identifying account characteristics that alert Wyndham to excessive renting.

I'll start. I think the trigger in my case was guest confirmations. I had thirty free GCs starting in January 2021 and ran out in mid-February. Looking at my tax records, I bought an additional 53 GCs the rest of the year. It would have been silly to argue that I was not renting.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[Deleted: If you have a response to a moderator, contact them directly.]

WManning

Reaction score
Rather than obsess over a precise definition of "commercial use," which most of us agree will not be forthcoming, a better approach might be identifying account characteristics that alert Wyndham to excessive renting.

I'll start. I think the trigger in my case was guest confirmations. I had thirty free GCs starting in January 2021 and ran out in mid-February. Looking at my tax records, I bought an additional 53 GCs the rest of the year. It would have been silly to argue that I was not renting.
Wyndham pocketed a few duckies on the GC's. I'm suprised Wyndham dosent require a GC when using EH.

WManning

Reaction score
Wyndham finds keeping it loose and free works to their benefit. A moving target is harder to hit then a stationary one. As far as strategy goes I think blackout dates and new rules have inflicted max pain on the mega renters to flush out weak hands. Renting under the new rules and blackout dates requires more work for less payoff. The elimination of resale points with VIP bennies is the reason 500,000-1,000,000 point contracts have been showing up on eBay quite frequently over the last year.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham pocketed a few duckies on the GC's. I'm suprised Wyndham dosent require a GC when using EH.

Yeah, like $5,247. Not bad for doing nothing.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

I’m not surprised that the Wyndham rental arm does not require a GC. Worst case if GC usage is suspended for certain offending accounts due to repeated rental activities - that owner could still use EH.

Last edited:

WManning

Reaction score
Yeah, like $5,247. Not bad for doing nothing.
Consider it as cost of doing business with Wyndham. They just want a piece of the pie. Better then using EH and getting a 60/40 split. The 60/40 is only if the whole reservation is rented.

WManning

Reaction score
I’m not surprised that the Wyndham rental arm does not require a GC. Worst case of GC usages are suspended for certain offending accounts due to repeated rental activities - that owner could still use EH.

Don't give them any ideas.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Consider it as cost of doing business with Wyndham. They just want a piece of the pie. Better then using EH and getting a 60/40 split. The 60/40 is only if the whole reservation is rented.

I get that but as I've mentioned to some others on the board, for some of us, EH is the only safe way to rent. Safe does not mean lucrative. That must make Wyndham happy!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
What is the split if they only rent part of it?

Same split regardless of what portion of the reservation gets rented.

Some owners in the Facebook groups have posted that they ended up in the hole big time on Extra Holiday rentals. Some owners make out okay with their EH rentals, some just so so and some end up underwater.

It's been years since I looked into EH out of curiosity and this is what I remember. It takes some time to get everything done to submit a rental. Once that's done the reservation must still be at least 30? days out but it might be more. You do have the option to pull a reservation that hasn't sold out of EH.

I remember seeing some owners saying they weren't happy with the wait time to get their money. I'd guess that EH might not begin the process of releasing the money until the reservation is over.

Last edited: