• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kierland Villas Question

RDCA73

Reaction score
Hello! I am trying to purchase a 1 bedroom unit at WKV that says it is for 30,500 Starpoints. However, that point total seems to equal the Premium 1 bedroom, not the smaller, Deluxe 1 bedroom. The seller doesn't seem to know which one she is trying to sell me and I was hoping for confirmation that the 30,500 does indeed translate to the larger Premium 1 bedroom unit.

We are new to Westin(Vistana) but not new to TS in general. If any WKV owners can chime in, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are you purchasing this to use or as a StarOption generator? If the latter, I wouldn't suggest doing that as it is a terible unit/week to buy for StarOptions only. In just about any case, you are better to buy a different unit. Home resort priority for those weeks isn't needed and you can buy a unit that comes with more StarOptions for the same maintenance fees and then use the StarOptions to book silver weeks and have points left over.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you want to use it in 120 degrees weather in Scottsdale, you should not buy this. This is usually given away for free and still have no takers.

BTW, Starpoint is the old hotel point currency. Staroptions is what you need to validate, 81K Star Options will be for platinum season. Same maintenace fees for all 3 seasons, making the silver seaon cost way too high per Star Option. You can use it to trade in II but it will have lower trade poswer. 30500 Star Options will get you to almost nowhere in the Vistana system for a week.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I agree with others. You can’t get much with 30,500 SOs.

RDCA73

Reaction score
Thank to everyone who replied. I actually love the crazy heat (we love Vegas in summer) and would plan on using this in the summer and at this resort. The MF are very reasonable, and from what I understand we can bank points if we don't use them each year. Thus, we should be able to use 60k every other year, correct? That should allow us to use those points at other mandatory resorts if we were able to get a reservation, yes? For example, if we wanted Harborside at Atlantis, I should be able to bank my points and use them there for a one bedroom. Am I understanding this correctly?

PS - is it challenging to get stays of less than a week?

Thanks!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank to everyone who replied. I actually love the crazy heat (we love Vegas in summer) and would plan on using this in the summer and at this resort. The MF are very reasonable, and from what I understand we can bank points if we don't use them each year. Thus, we should be able to use 60k every other year, correct? That should allow us to use those points at other mandatory resorts if we were able to get a reservation, yes? For example, if we wanted Harborside at Atlantis, I should be able to bank my points and use them there for a one bedroom. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

Scottsdale is 10 degrees hotter than Vegas in summer. People die from heatstroke every year in Phoenix area.

It is just so cost ineffective that you get so few SOs for the same MF. You can book fewer days than a week but why would you do that especially when you are flying to get to a resort.

Here is the SO requirements for 1 Br premium at Harbourside:
- Week 1-17, 50-52, 81K SOs
- Week 18-34, 47-49, 51.7K SOs
- Week 35-46, 44K SOs

Here is a chart. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8QFnoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0HpdMHxOoILhVaKnJY8mE2

Last edited:

RDCA73

Reaction score
Scottsdale is 10 degrees hotter than Vegas in summer. People die from heatstroke every year in Phoenix area.

It is just so cost ineffective that you get so few SOs for the same MF. You can book fewer than a week but why would you do that especially when you are flying to get to a resort.

Here is the SO requirements for 1 Br premium at Harbourside:
- Week 1-17, 50-52, 81K SOs
- Week 18-34, 47-49, 51.7K SOs
- Week 35-46, 44K SOs
Thanks - so it stands that I "should" be able to bank enough points to to go to other resorts EOY, such as Harborside. We go for less than a week since that is sometimes all we can squeeze in. Due to the placement of Fed Holidays, I can get many 5 day vacations, but not many full weeks. So, having options where we can go for 4-5 days is important.

I appreciate the insight!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - so it stands that I "should" be able to bank enough points to to go to other resorts EOY, such as Harborside. We go for less than a week since that is sometimes all we can squeeze in. Due to the placement of Fed Holidays, I can get many 5 day vacations, but not many full weeks. So, having options where we can go for 4-5 days is important.

I appreciate the insight!
I have updated my post above to include the star option chart, so that you can see Star Option requirement across all resorts and weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Thanks!
I fully understand you would prefer to use the home resort, but silver season WKV certainly doesn't require 12 month booking. 8 month booking is fine. Even if you got a gold plus season, you would get about 50% more StarOptions for the same annual meintenance fee. You should be able to pick up a gold plus week for about the same cost as silver. If not, then only for a few hundred dollars on resale.

Also, if you are trying to "purchase" a silver WKV, I hope you really mean you are trying to take one on for no cost to you. These weeks should be close to free on the resale market. Perhaps at most paying closing costs.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Thanks!

You are missing an important aspect. The MFs per SO for a low season WKV is not a good value. You are paying same MFs for similar villa as compared to Plat+ season. Don’t forget about VSN fee (~$150/yr if this your only week).
WKV in summer is an easy exchange and can be easily gotten using SOs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDCA73

Reaction score
I fully understand you would prefer to use the home resort, but silver season WKV certainly doesn't require 12 month booking. 8 month booking is fine. Even if you got a gold plus season, you would get about 50% more StarOptions for the same annual meintenance fee. You should be able to pick up a gold plus week for about the same cost as silver. If not, then only for a few hundred dollars on resale.

Also, if you are trying to "purchase" a silver WKV, I hope you really mean you are trying to take one on for no cost to you. These weeks should be close to free on the resale market. Perhaps at most paying closing costs.
Correct, it is being given away. I saw it as a great way to "buy in" at a rate I was happy with.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Correct, it is being given away. I saw it as a great way to "buy in" at a rate I was happy with.
But with patience you can probably find a Gold Plus week for the same price and get 50% more StarOptions every year for the same annual fee.

RDCA73

Reaction score
You are missing an important aspect. The MFs per SO for a low season WKV is not a good value. You are paying same MFs for similar villa as compared to Plat+ season. Don’t forget about VSN fee (~$150/yr if this your only week).
WKV in summer is an easy exchange and can be easily gotten using SOs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely see your point, however, if I saw another available purchase opportunity at similar rates for Platinum season I would naturally grab it. As it is right now, if I were to go to WKV using cash, I would be saving about 1k vs using the SO. So, that's what I am comparing the value against. Right now, we don't have any SO to use to exchange and was hoping this could be an easy way to get some to use at WKV or elsewhere. I don't see much else on the resale market that's being given away, but perhaps I should be patient and wait for a better opportunity.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not a good deal and you should not do it.
If you do do it then your future problem will be trying to get rid of it and that will be much more difficult than buying it

That said if you absolutely can't wait and must buy you will survive
I an assuming your purchase price is $0
Your mistake will be smaller than the one I made when I first bought (and smaller than the mistake that many others in this group made when they first bought)

Having patience and learning first is the best way to go
If you do not do that you will not be the first who just could not wait

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
OP: you asked for advice and received a pretty sound consensus that you should hold out for a better season. Even if you have to pay a bit up front, you will get more points/use for you dollars. Purchase price is once - MF are forever unless you can get someone to take it off your hands. The crowd here are telling you they would not take it for free.

If you are buying a timeshare to save money, you need an exit strategy. Build that into your metrics.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The better deal would be to buy a Kierland gold+ small side unit (weeks 22-27 & 36-49). It comes with 37000 transferable SO's.

The cost is minimal (I got mine for free, although they are probably about $1,000 now) but the MF's are substantially lower ($661/yr vs. $1,065/yr for the large side unit you are looking at).

You can use those SO's to get 8-9 summer days in the large unit by reserving at the eight month mark (which is an easy reservation).

It is essential to get an estoppel from Vistana (which they call a "Resale Information Sheet") while in escrow to verify that the unit is as described.

Added: this unit is also a very cost/effective Interval trader.

Last edited:

Westnick

TUG Member
Reaction score
[DELETED: Advertising is not permitted in the discussion forums.]

Last edited by a moderator: