• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What does a timeshare 'WIN' look like? (mexico)

TheReleaseGr

Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for helping my wife and I navigate this world. :). Our goal is one week a year, somewhere tropical (preferably Cancun because flights are so reasonable from our airport)...

What does a 'win' in timeshare land looks like? (deal wise) If we were to be patient and only pull the trigger when its a true 'great deal' that would be our goal! What pricing would be amazing and where would you buy?

I feel I've been doing so much research on 'the bad' that I'm wondering what a win looks like?

----
More context... I consider myself rather shrewd when it comes to negotiation. I'm in no hurry, & I want a great deal. I have run multiple businesses and I get along with car salesman because I speak their language, til they get sick of me at the end (be it good or bad). --- I actually wanted to go to the timeshare meeting because I wanted to see how "hard sale" it was... and it really was haha! We did not buy. Wanted to do way more research.

My wife and I are (currently atleast) pretty simple middle-class people. Meaning we don't need the sun and moon. Maybe we could upgrade in a few years if we have alot more money or get more complicated :p.

The Grand Bliss RM took our breath away. We love the nice pool and beach. Being from the north, it's such a change that a week there beyond satisfied us both.

Here is our criteria -
Clean room, nice pool, considerate people (not really looking for a party, we don't even drink), NOT all inclusive if possible, good restaurants, tropical feel.

Maybe try to be recent with examples or atleast relate it to the current market. :) I see some people wanting to get rid of theirs at almost no money... but that leads to the question...

Sounds like we should try a few resorts out before pulling the trigger on anything. This group is SO AWESOME. Thank you all for your wise advice on this.

TheReleaseGr

Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for helping my wife and I navigate this world. :). Our goal is one week a year, somewhere tropical (preferably Cancun because flights are so reasonable from our airport)...

What does a 'win' in timeshare land looks like? (deal wise) If we were to be patient and only pull the trigger when its a true 'great deal' that would be our goal! What pricing would be amazing and where would you buy?

I feel I've been doing so much research on 'the bad' that I'm wondering what a win looks like?

----
More context... I consider myself rather shrewd when it comes to negotiation. I'm in no hurry, & I want a great deal. I have run multiple businesses and I get along with car salesman because I speak their language, til they get sick of me at the end (be it good or bad). --- I actually wanted to go to the timeshare meeting because I wanted to see how "hard sale" it was... and it really was haha! We did not buy. Wanted to do way more research.

My wife and I are (currently atleast) pretty simple middle-class people. Meaning we don't need the sun and moon. Maybe we could upgrade in a few years if we have alot more money or get more complicated :p.

The Grand Bliss RM took our breath away. We love the nice pool and beach. Being from the north, it's such a change that a week there beyond satisfied us both.

Here is our criteria -
Clean room, nice pool, considerate people (not really looking for a party, we don't even drink), NOT all inclusive if possible, good restaurants, tropical feel.

Maybe try to be recent with examples or atleast relate it to the current market. :) I see some people wanting to get rid of theirs at almost no money... but that leads to the question...

Sounds like we should try a few resorts out before pulling the trigger on anything. This group is SO AWESOME. Thank you all for your wise advice on this.

I want to elaborate just a bit more. I don't mind either buying on the secondary market, or if I have to be relentless with the sales staff that is fine too... Not buy not buy, then recind even to get more perks... I know that sounds insane but I wonder if anyone has advice on this. I'm also open to hearing we are idiots if that is a bad idea... that's why I'm posting here to get real advice!!

I do want to consider long term what a win looks like too... how often to rates rise... what companies to avoid in MX. Resale? (not resale to make money, but just to get out if needed God forbid we can't travel anymore based on an accident or something... we have insurance etc to cover some of this but it's something in the equation to think about atleast)

Thank you all so much in advance! :cool::)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

To us, being able to go to the AREA- not a specific resort- often enough to give it a 'second home' feel. Knowing the layout of the city, having favorite restaurants, knowing the 'pulse' of the place. We are a different generation than you are, but for us that's a few locations on the West coast of Mexico. But we also enjoy Southern Europe too: Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece. We try to go to a week-10 days in each geographical area each year, though that's slowing down a little as we age and Covid has raised it's ugly head.

What has worked best for us has been to have a good sized bucket of RCI Points, that are generated by a 2B/2BA TS that we've never stayed in and bought resale. We don't even work too hard at it, decide on a time we want to go- out 6-10 months and watch the online catalog, spend the points like currency and go. We have no interest in AI, enjoying instead, shopping local markets and/or supporting local restaurants.

We've been to a few presentations, and my BS detector is full ON, and I simply tell them that our days of acquisition is done and we are in the liquidation phase of our TS life- how many of ours do they want?

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but that's how we do it.

Jim

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
A win is getting your week for a reasonable price with reasonable MFs. Mexico is difficult because the laws there are different. I would look at resales first since the cost of developer contracts is usually about 90% higher.

TheReleaseGr

Reaction score
To us, being able to go to the AREA- not a specific resort- often enough to give it a 'second home' feel. Knowing the layout of the city, having favorite restaurants, knowing the 'pulse' of the place. We are a different generation than you are, but for us that's a few locations on the West coast of Mexico. But we also enjoy Southern Europe too: Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece. We try to go to a week-10 days in each geographical area each year, though that's slowing down a little as we age and Covid has raised it's ugly head.

What has worked best for us has been to have a good sized bucket of RCI Points, that are generated by a 2B/2BA TS that we've never stayed in and bought resale. We don't even work too hard at it, decide on a time we want to go- out 6-10 months and watch the online catalog, spend the points like currency and go. We have no interest in AI, enjoying instead, shopping local markets and/or supporting local restaurants.

We've been to a few presentations, and my BS detector is full ON, and I simply tell them that our days of acquisition is done and we are in the liquidation phase of our TS life- how many of ours do they want?

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but that's how we do it.

Jim
Thanks Jim! That sounds like a smart idea. How do you buy the RCI points? What is the exchange fee? What does TS mean? what does AI mean?

Thanks, still learning the lingo!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Have you looked in the TUG Market Place? Also there are rentals on TUG. You might want to rent for a few years so that you can try out different Resorts. Avoid Vidanta resell. They charge a lot to transfer Membership. Remember that in Mexico most Resorts are RTU.

TheReleaseGr

Reaction score
Have you looked in the TUG Market Place?
Yes I have been dipping my toe in the water. Just don't know what to be looking for exactly. The $1 or something different.

We are looking for a 1 bedroom or even a studio.

TheReleaseGr

Reaction score
A win is getting your week for a reasonable price with reasonable MFs. Mexico is difficult because the laws there are different. I would look at resales first since the cost of developer contracts is usually about 90% higher.

What do you feel is a 'reasonable' MF in Cancun? What is a 'reasonable' asking price on the secondary market? If you were looking like I am for a 1BD or studio?

Thanks so much!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim! That sounds like a smart idea. How do you buy the RCI points? What is the exchange fee? What does TS mean? what does AI mean?

Thanks, still learning the lingo!
TS is 'timeshare', AI is 'all inclusive' To acquire RCI Points. buy into a resort unit that offers them. We generally consider a cost (in MF-that's maintenance fee) of less than a penny a point a year. For instance a $900 annual nut for 90,000 RCI points. Exchange fees are about $240 for each exchange. With our bundle, which is for a 2b/2ba we usually get enough points for 2, 1b/1ba+ apartment a year- more or less. The more deluxe ones cost more points, the lesser ones cost less. Excess points carry over to the next year, and you can borrow them from upcoming years' allotment- as long as you pay the annual MF bill ahead.

TheReleaseGr

Reaction score
TS is 'timeshare', AI is 'all inclusive' To acquire RCI Points. buy into a resort unit that offers them. We generally consider a cost (in MF-that's maintenance fee) of less than a penny a point a year. For instance a $900 annual nut for 90,000 RCI points. Exchange fees are about $240 for each exchange. With our bundle, which is for a 2b/2ba we usually get enough points for 2, 1b/1ba+ apartment a year- more or less. The more deluxe ones cost more points, the lesser ones cost less. Excess points carry over to the next year, and you can borrow them from upcoming years' allotment- as long as you pay the annual MF bill ahead.

Dumb question... Are Interval International points the same as RCI points? Do they have any correlations? Or two totally separate things?

Also, you pay $240 to exchange to use the points for a week, lets say, somewhere. Each time you book a week you pay $240 and then you use however many points it costs to stay there?

How much did you pay originally to get into that program if you don't mind me asking... or would you buy someones secondary market knowing what you know now?

Obviously this is just one direction, I won't take your word and go do something, just looking for advice to help me along the journey! Much much appreciated.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Vidanta resorts are very, very nice. But I'd consider looking at buying a week at the Westin Lagunamar. It is a gorgeous resort right in the heart of Cancun's hotel zone. Plenty of nearby restaurants, good beach/pools (beach is better than Vidanta RM, imo, and I've been to both multiple times).

Plus, if you bought a 2 bedroom at lagunamar you could lock it off into a 1 bedroom and a studio. Stay in the 1 bedroom and trade the studio into a larger unit at Vidanta. Maybe buy EOY (every other year) and rotate - lagunamar in your use year and trade elsewhere using the studio in your off year. Vidanta charges resort fees to exchange in, but when considering how low the fees are on the studio lagunamar piece (and how high the buy in would be for vidanta) I think you're likely to come out well ahead.

This would be more work/organizing than just buying vidanta and going every year, but probably saves at least 10k

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dumb question... Are Interval International points the same as RCI points? Do they have any correlations? Or two totally separate things?

Also, you pay $240 to exchange to use the points for a week, lets say, somewhere. Each time you book a week you pay $240 and then you use however many points it costs to stay there?

How much did you pay originally to get into that program if you don't mind me asking... or would you buy someones secondary market knowing what you know now?

Obviously this is just one direction, I won't take your word and go do something, just looking for advice to help me along the journey! Much much appreciated.
No question is dumb. II and RCI are different critters Though both are the biggie exchange companies, they don't correlate. Like Visa and Master Card.

Yes, the exchange fee is for EACH exchange. Both exchanges have last-minute (inside 45 day) cash rentals for like $250 for 7 nights and no extra fees- don't think great beachy summer vacays, or penthouses, but off-or shoulder season in second tier resorts, like ski resorts in mud season, beaches in winter or obstructed dumpster view units.

I paid a grand or so 15+ years ago and get a less than ideal number of points, but it is what it is. Knowing what I know now I might buy into a different system. Not whining, but there are less expensive or more usable systems available now. Our needs are modest. I don't need granite counters or an ensuite jetted tub or ski-out unit, but well managed, clean, updated, OWNER CONTROLLED (opposed to developer) HOA.

Jim

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
You have definitely taken a great first step by being here BEFORE you buy! As to what would be a great deal, that matter is subjective. I ruled Cancun out because most of the properties have a requirement for All Inclusive (ai, not a1 or al) in addition to larger annual maintenance fees (in comparison to resorts on the Pacific side). I bought all of my weeks from ebay sales - one was $1. Another around $60. I think the next was around $30, and the last week they gave me $200. All of them paid the transfer fees.

I agree with the suggestion to figure out the WHERE first, not the resort. So visit a few places, and don't rule the Pacific side out because it's a little further - you can offset the airfare cost by the maintenance fee/no ai fee savings. If you can't go in person then google map the areas. Once you determine the WHERE, let your fingers do the walking through as many google search results as you can. Find out what resorts have the most complaints and cross them off the list. Some have an every 5 year rule where you need to pony up an extra maintenance fee. I'd avoid them too. Get things narrowed down to a handful of resorts and then visit them in person while you're vacationing. Don't go to their presentations, just ask them to give you a walkthrough and show you a sample unit. Or buy a day pass and check them out that way.

Then, set yourself up on Ebay and Redweek and the 'for sale' area here and wait until something comes up that fits your budget. You can also check facebook to see if their members have a page, and ask to join (many resales happen through facebook pages). Just keep in mind that current members in a facebook group will almost always think their units are worth more than they are, so you won't usually get a great deal that way. Ebay is where people go to dump their units and they can often be found for $1, or $1 + the current years maintenance fees. Make sure the seller is paying the transfer fees as well. Edit: Before you close the deal, be sure to come back here and ask if there's anything you're missing about the resort - some of us may own there and know some of the ins and outs.

In the end, the best price is the price you feel good about. Good luck!

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
A timeshare "win" in Mexico is at least a one bedroom unit in winter season , all inclusive not required, older contract with maybe 10 years left on the rtu and multiple properties in different locations that can be reserved. Also considerations to the cost and mf contribute to the "win".

My last Mexico "win" was a free one bedroom winter week with UVCI that expires in 2029. It was a double win because it was two winter weeks each year. It almost made out to be a triple win if I would have been able to use the the paid week that was in the account. Even though the owner said I could have the week it wasn't banked and UVCI wouldn't let me me back pay to bank it forward.

Bill

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
A timeshare "win" in Mexico is at least a one bedroom unit in winter season , all inclusive not required, older contract with maybe 10 years left on the rtu and multiple properties in different locations that can be reserved. Also considerations to the cost and mf contribute to the "win" ...

That describes my first purchase almost to a 'T', with the exception of it being week 28. July in Mazatlán is a whole different experience, both weather wise, and from the feel of the city without gringos!

monicar

Reaction score
A timeshare "win" in Mexico is at least a one bedroom unit in winter season , all inclusive not required, older contract with maybe 10 years left on the rtu and multiple properties in different locations that can be reserved. Also considerations to the cost and mf contribute to the "win".

My last Mexico "win" was a free one bedroom winter week with UVCI that expires in 2029. It was a double win because it was two winter weeks each year. It almost made out to be a triple win if I would have been able to use the the paid week that was in the account. Even though the owner said I could have the week it wasn't banked and UVCI wouldn't let me me back pay to bank it forward.

Bill
what is UVCI? I am afraid of buying timeshare because is for life and even your kids cannot get rid of it. I want something that expires. Can you advise?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
what is UVCI? I am afraid of buying timeshare because is for life and even your kids cannot get rid of it. I want something that expires. Can you advise?
UVCI is Universal Vacation Club. It's Mexican and many Mexican TSs are Right to Use (RTU) for a fixed number of years. Then you can either re-up (for a fee) or let it expire. While it's easier to buy a timeshare than sell it, there is no reason you can't sell or give it away- especially if it's a desirable one in a good location where and when people want to vacation. The hard ones to offload are those that are off-or shoulder season in less 'resorty' places. As to kids- acquiring from parents. Nobody has to take a bequest they don't want, or that is a liability rather than an asset. The 'doom & gloom' press makes it seem like every timeshare is a dawg that people are stuck with forever. It just isn't true.

Welcome to TUG where knowledge is power.

Jim

monicar

Reaction score
UVCI is Universal Vacation Club. It's Mexican and many Mexican TSs are Right to Use (RTU) for a fixed number of years. Then you can either re-up (for a fee) or let it expire. While it's easier to buy a timeshare than sell it, there is no reason you can't sell or give it away- especially if it's a desirable one in a good location where and when people want to vacation. The hard ones to offload are those that are off-or shoulder season in less 'resorty' places. As to kids- acquiring from parents. Nobody has to take a bequest they don't want, or that is a liability rather than an asset. The 'doom & gloom' press makes it seem like every timeshare is a dawg that people are stuck with forever. It just isn't true.

Welcome to TUG where knowledge is power.

Jim
Thank you very much Jim for your answer! I am so happy I found this website. I am looking for a good deal, getting something for rent, or buying something that expires, low maintenance fees.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

UVCI resorts are the Villa del Palmars in Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta , Cabo and currently Cancun. The developers have split up and started other resort systems in Loreto, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and Cancun which are newer point system memberships.

The older memberships are Premiere and Gold which are only UVCI or the Villa Group Resorts. These are found resale and have 30 year RTU's. These began back in the 90's with Premiere and in the 2000's Gold. I left a link to UVCI below.

Bill

https://myuvci.com/

monicar

Reaction score
UVCI resorts are the Villa del Palmars in Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta , Cabo and currently Cancun. The developers have split up and started other resort systems in Loreto, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and Cancun which are newer point system memberships.

The older memberships are Premiere and Gold which are only UVCI or the Villa Group Resorts. These are found resale and have 30 year RTU's. These began back in the 90's with Premiere and in the 2000's Gold. I left a link to UVCI below.

Bill

we went to Villa del Palmar in Cabo once on a All Inclusive 5 days promo they gave us super cheap when the kids were smaller. It was nice. Sounds like I can find contracts that are closer in expiration. is this something you recommend me to do? Thank you !

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
we went to Villa del Palmar in Cabo once on a All Inclusive 5 days promo they gave us super cheap when the kids were smaller. It was nice. Sounds like I can find contracts that are closer in expiration. is this something you recommend me to do? Thank you !

That is something I still do, lol. If you decide to peruse this look for a 1 or 2 bed winter week in a Premiere or Gold membership. If looking at gold memberships the contract prefix 35 instead of 16 allows reservations to Loreto. Happy Hunting.

Bill

monicar

Reaction score
That is something I still do, lol. If you decide to peruse this look for a 1 or 2 bed winter week in a Premiere or Gold membership. If looking at gold memberships the contract prefix 35 instead of 16 allows reservations to Loreto. Happy Hunting.

Bill
Is Gold offering more, or it is just expiring later. Where did you get your contract from? Ebay?

monicar

Reaction score

Bill

where did you get it from? ebay? or where do you find something like that?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Winter Gold with a contract prefix 35 is the last of the Gold memberships and is affiliated with both UVCI and Owen Perry's VDP Loreto. The RTU will be longer but these started as a 30 year RTU. Gold winter with a 16 prefix allows reservations at all of the UVCI resorts with a decent reservation window and other benefits. These are getting hard to find on ebay because many people are joining facebook buy and sell pages to sell or rent their weeks.

I like Premiere winter memberships. I found many of mine on ebay years ago and a couple of years ago I scored two winter Premiere weeks on Tug.

Bill

boraxo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra, Villa Resorts (Mexico)
A win is buying resale and saving 80-90% of developer cost. Also buying into a program where you can easily get the weeks or days you need.

for Mexico my in laws swear by the Villa Group where they are elite owners (5k+ points per year). They leverage the points into 5-6 weeks annually in the fall at Puerto Vallarta and sometimes another week in Cancun in January. Much easier than booking a week at Westin Lagunamar Cancun (which they also own).

I own Hyatt and I do not find II easy to use at all so I would be very wary of buying a unit solely to trade in II or RCI. Very difficult unless you have a lot of time and flexibility (retirees) which is not the case for most families with kids in school