• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Claims a Vacation Village made during recent presentation

larrydeboer

Reaction score
I attended a presentation in Weston and the salesman said a few things I am not sure I believe. If you know for a fact that these statements are true or untrue, please let me know.

When I become a Vacation Village Premier member by upgrading my Grandview ownership....

1. I would have the highest trading power possible. He said that even in RCI points, your weeks have a trading power. If you have a low trading power, you will not be shown available weeks that have a higher trading power. I certainly believe that is true in RCI weeks, but is it also true in RCI points?
2. I would be able to get EVERY full week available within 45 days using 9000 points or less. EVERY single one!

I have owned RCI properties for 20 years, so I feel pretty comfortable with the system. I asked him for clarification on what he said since it didn't sound sensible, and he said the same thing several times. I asked him for proof, which he didn't have, or to put it in writing, which he wouldn't do. We actually did make the purchase, but are strongly considering rescinding it if these claims are blatantly false. So please let me know if there is any truth at all to either of these two things he was saying. Thank you.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There is at least 1 premier VV member. Can't remember who but hopefully he will see it and comment.
1.I think there is some availability that certain non standard rci points members can't see. That has been evidenced by someone with a Welk membership in points and the other VV premier member. It may be from time to time rci may slip in a few units that are typically reserved under registry collection affiliates. I don't think it happens often so overall in a year there might be an extra 50-100 units that may be of absolute no interest to you.

2. I could not imagine number 2 being true; its more likely that they may offer more weeks at the discount but still not all. Currently only weeks that drop below 7-8 tpu's become available for the discounted points amount. I could see rci possibly extending it up to about 12 for VV premier members; which would still hold back a lot of the more desirable last minute inventory while still providing more for VV premier.

My understanding is VV paid RCI a lot of money upfront (in the millions) to design a program that they could upsell their members (to recoup their fees and make a profit) that gave them addition access and perks not available without the program.

@rboesl could you comment on this topic?

travel maniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
2. I would be able to get EVERY full week available within 45 days using 9000 points or less. EVERY single one!

We actually did make the purchase, but are strongly considering rescinding it if these claims are blatantly false. So please let me know if there is any truth at all to either of these two things he was saying. Thank you.

I'M NOT A NOT A VACATION VILLAGE/GRANDVIEW OWNER but have been RCI member for 15+ years.

#2. Somewhat true but as tschwa2 has stated there are possibly few weeks available at 9k points or below. The emphasis here is on "available" weeks - and that availability related to RCI points! These 9k points or less are true if you own RCI points regardless of membership to VV. FWIW, we gave up on RCI points after they started adding a lot of additional fees to points reservations.

The more IMPORTANT POINT is your purchase of the timeshare. RESCIND NOW! Learn the RCI points system on TUG and elsewhere. If you post your purchase/upgrade price, others who are knowledgeable in the VV/GV system may be able to guide you better

larrydeboer

Reaction score
I owned a 1 bedroom, 61000 point, biennial week. They offered me a 2 bedroom, 98000 point, biennial week. To trade weeks, and give me VV Premier, the cost was $7000.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last time I went to an owner's update at Grandview (probably August of 2020) as a final offer, they would change my weeks account to a points account. Think the offer was for $4000.00. (I declined...) I'm still not sure how a points account would provide me with 4000.00 worth of benefits....

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I owned a 1 bedroom, 61000 point, biennial week. They offered me a 2 bedroom, 98000 point, biennial week. To trade weeks, and give me VV Premier, the cost was $7000.
what would be the difference in MF"s between the 2? There are some benefits in terms of lower exchange fees and extra bonus certs but how long until those make up for the $7000 you are paying out of pocket.

travel maniac

TUG Member
Reaction score

Assuming these are RCI points - you're paying $7k for an additional 37k points. Correct? If so, it's an awful deal!

And I'm not sure what "to trade weeks" means.

Have you looked at the marketplace section of TUG? here's a link for points for sale - some are RCI points
https://tug2.com/timeshare-classifi...or-Sale-Points&ForSale=True&AdTypePoints=True

There is also the free timeshare and bargain deals forum - yes, there are people giving away their timeshare for free!
https://tugbbs.com/forums/forums/free-timeshare-giveaways-and-bargain-deals.55/

Your first reaction that "you're strongly considering rescinding" is a good indication that you're not sure about this deal. I suggest you RESCIND first - follow the directions mentioned in your contract/binder. Then you'll have ample time to research FACTS (on TUG and/or elsewhere) and make a meaningful decision.

Please let us know whatever you decide.

Good luck!

travel maniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just saw the following 2 posts under bargain deals that are for RCI points

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/f...lly-and-129-000-banked-points-week-21.332654/

larrydeboer

Reaction score
The wording I used 'to trade weeks' meant Vacation Village was taking back my 1 bedroom week while selling me a 2 bedroom week.
The maintenance fees would be double what I am paying now. 100% more maintenance fees for 61% more points. I don't like the disproportionate increase in maintenance fees, but if the benefits of VV Premier were close to the salesman's claims, I wouldn't mind paying more.
Thank you for your responses. After reading them, I feel that I might have marginal improvement in the selection of timeshares, and also in the number of 9000 point or less weeks available to me. But the possible positives come at a high price. So I think you have convinced me to rescind this purchase.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
There is at least 1 premier VV member. Can't remember who but hopefully he will see it and comment.
1.I think there is some availability that certain non standard rci points members can't see. That has been evidenced by someone with a Welk membership in points and the other VV premier member. It may be from time to time rci may slip in a few units that are typically reserved under registry collection affiliates. I don't think it happens often so overall in a year there might be an extra 50-100 units that may be of absolute no interest to you.

2. I could not imagine number 2 being true; its more likely that they may offer more weeks at the discount but still not all. Currently only weeks that drop below 7-8 tpu's become available for the discounted points amount. I could see rci possibly extending it up to about 12 for VV premier members; which would still hold back a lot of the more desirable last minute inventory while still providing more for VV premier.

My understanding is VV paid RCI a lot of money upfront (in the millions) to design a program that they could upsell their members (to recoup their fees and make a profit) that gave them addition access and perks not available without the program.

@rboesl could you comment on this topic?
I am a VV Premier owner. Have been for about 5 years now. But, strictly points so I can't comment on weeks ownership.

1. If you're upgrade meeting was in Weston then your new home resort would be Weston. You would not get maximum points value from Weston. The most points you would get would be 98,000. Still quite good but not the maximum. There are VV resorts that get 122,000 and a couple that get 141,000.

2. Is not true. RCI does have a menu option that shows you weeks available for 10,000 points or less that are only available within 45 days out. But, those are available to all RCI members. Not just premier.

But, there are some Premier perks that are of value:
A. Bonus weeks. You get 2 per year that allow you to book weeks up to 180 days out for just the exchange fee. No points needed. It's a limited inventory but much wider inventory than getaways.
B. Discount guest certificates. It's 20% off.
C. Extending points before they expire up to 2 years. And a discount on the fee.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
what would be the difference in MF"s between the 2? There are some benefits in terms of lower exchange fees and extra bonus certs but how long until those make up for the $7000 you are paying out of pocket.
Vacation Village fees are consistent. Currently it's $945 plus real estate taxes for a 2 bedroom and exactly half that for a 1 bedroom plus real estate taxes. Regardless of location.

larrydeboer

Reaction score
Thanks, rboesl. Do those benefits you mentioned come automatically as a Premier member? I get most of them now, except the bonus weeks, with Vacation Village Plus. Of course, that costs something every year. Will I have to pay anything extra for those perks, or do they come 'free' with Premier?
There is nothing in any paperwork they gave me giving precise details of what Premier really is.
Thanks, again.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Thanks, rboesl. Do those benefits you mentioned come automatically as a Premier member? I get most of them now, except the bonus weeks, with Vacation Village Plus. Of course, that costs something every year. Will I have to pay anything extra for those perks, or do they come 'free' with Premier?
There is nothing in any paperwork they gave me giving precise details of what Premier really is.
Thanks, again.
The paperwork I got laid out the bonus weeks. The remainder of the benefits are actually part of RCI's Premier membership level. VV actually has 3 levels of ownership. Basic (1 bonus week book 2-45 days out), Premium (1 bonus week book 2-90 days out), and Premier (2 bonus weeks book 2-180 days out).

There was no extra charges for the bonus weeks that I recall. And, we haggled quite a bit. I even got them to throw in converting my VV@Bonaventure 3br from weeks to points at no charge.

richkadams

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Berkley
I upgraded to Premiere in December 2021. I was told (at Grandview) that Premiere got huge discounts on Hotel stays by using exchange points. I was told that the amount of points used for the exchange were based on Trip Advisor ratings for the hotel. (the better the hotel, the more points it cost). The sales person showed me on her laptop examples of how cheap hotels were. A 4-5 star hotel was around 20,000 points for a week, plus some cash. The cash was extremely low, so low in fact, I kept asking is that for a day or for the week and she assured me it was for the week. It sold me! So I upgraded (by purchasing another timeshare at the Berkley for $11K and got 49,000 more points). But ever since I upgraded I cannot find out to get those cheap hotel rates. I go to RCI.com and the "Hotel plus Cash" deals are the same for everyone (2000 points a day) and a little discount on the room. It's NOT what I had expected. I've called the Concierge, RCI, Vacation Village and Nobody knows what I'm talking about. My salesperson will not return calls, The sales department at the Grandview will not answer the phone, it goes to a recording and they will not return my calls. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone heard of this Hotel aspect of Premiere? I'm at a loss of what to do. Thanks for any and all help. Someone in another page mention something about using a different app to get the hotel rates. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I upgraded to Premiere in December 2021. I was told (at Grandview) that Premiere got huge discounts on Hotel stays by using exchange points. I was told that the amount of points used for the exchange were based on Trip Advisor ratings for the hotel. (the better the hotel, the more points it cost). The sales person showed me on her laptop examples of how cheap hotels were. A 4-5 star hotel was around 20,000 points for a week, plus some cash. The cash was extremely low, so low in fact, I kept asking is that for a day or for the week and she assured me it was for the week. It sold me! So I upgraded (by purchasing another timeshare at the Berkley for $11K and got 49,000 more points). But ever since I upgraded I cannot find out to get those cheap hotel rates. I go to RCI.com and the "Hotel plus Cash" deals are the same for everyone (2000 points a day) and a little discount on the room. It's NOT what I had expected. I've called the Concierge, RCI, Vacation Village and Nobody knows what I'm talking about. My salesperson will not return calls, The sales department at the Grandview will not answer the phone, it goes to a recording and they will not return my calls. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone heard of this Hotel aspect of Premiere? I'm at a loss of what to do. Thanks for any and all help. Someone in another page mention something about using a different app to get the hotel rates. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
Its amazing to me how they play off standard RCI features as something new and upgraded if you just buy more. Log in to RCI and choose Book and then hotels. You are basically getting the Priceline rates +/-.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I attended a presentation in Weston and the salesman said a few things I am not sure I believe. If you know for a fact that these statements are true or untrue, please let me know.

When I become a Vacation Village Premier member by upgrading my Grandview ownership....

1. I would have the highest trading power possible. He said that even in RCI points, your weeks have a trading power. If you have a low trading power, you will not be shown available weeks that have a higher trading power. I certainly believe that is true in RCI weeks, but is it also true in RCI points?

I have owned RCI properties for 20 years, so I feel pretty comfortable with the system. I asked him for clarification on what he said since it didn't sound sensible, and he said the same thing several times. I asked him for proof, which he didn't have, or to put it in writing, which he wouldn't do. We actually did make the purchase, but are strongly considering rescinding it if these claims are blatantly false. So please let me know if there is any truth at all to either of these two things he was saying. Thank you.
1. Trading power in Points is measured by the number of points you get. If you have enough points for a resv, you will be able to book it. There is no 80k contract that can see availabilty another 80k contract can't.

2. LoL no.

What could VV have sold you that you cannot get resale?