• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deal alert: Lenovo's $300 Chromebook tablet is currently discounted to $99

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I must be crazy but now I'm going to have to do it. I've been considering getting a chromebook for my stepmother. (She has early dementia, still uses her computer for email and checking bank balances). She fails more than succeeds using her windows machine. She loves to click on things, no matter how many times I say not to. I've been thinking this is the solution.

My mother has dementia. I got one of these a year or so for her and set it up. Put 4 apps in her tray, she now only uses the zoom one. I can walk her through getting on a zoom call with our family (even in isolation in her assisted living facility). That is the only thing she uses it for.

FYI - anyone looking for something super simple and safe -- chromebooks run using a mobile operating system. Anything that is installed on it has to be a downloaded app (from something like the playstore). That's why cell phones don't get viruses and neither do chromebooks. You don't need to buy virus protection. (I many not have that exactly right, but that's how my brain thinks of it).

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Thanks for this deal alert. Just ordered two. DH will like it I think. I have an iPad that I love....but it is getting older. I use it constantly mostly to keep me occupied during some boring days while waiting for our new home to be finished. Very costly for the newer versions. Can’t really go wrong for $99 and free shipping.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to use a keyboard with this?
I love my Kindle for almost all my needs, but thumb typing gets old fast.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Is there a way to use a keyboard with this?
I love my Kindle for almost all my needs, but thumb typing gets old fast.

you can purchase a keyboard with it as an extra.

PS: you can install Libby from the Google Pay Store as a eBook reader. Its what I use to read books and magazines free from the local county library.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just received mine today, must say it's a very nice tablet for $99 after using iPad mini for the last 6 years.

Nice and bright screen, larger than my mini. Set up quickly using my Gmail account! and linked to my Android phone, downloaded all my contacts, email, and shortcuts.

the only knock so far is the charging USB adapter is underpowered, it was reporting it would not charge while I was using it, only when I shut it off. I have a "brick" style USB-C charger, so I switched to that and it charges a lot faster. It had about 60% charge out of the box. I was down level a few updates but quickly installed those.

PS just finished charging! 99% indicated 14hrs 40min usage, that's nice my old iPad was only good for 2 hrs lately.

Sent from my kukui using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Yes Thanks Richard. Got my two today. It is quite a learning curve for me. Having trouble installing any apps...but I’m sure it’s an operators error. Much too tired for my brain to think....more house delays.....they are having issues getting garage doors and now our propane dealer has no tanks available for installation. Sigh.

Still can’t get over what a great deal this Lenova was. Thanks again.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.
I did order the keyboard feature -- adding an extra $50.
It hasn't shipped yet.
(My thumb is tired of doing all the typing.)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this was a fantastic deal, free shipping too!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes Thanks Richard. Got my two today. It is quite a learning curve for me. Having trouble installing any apps...but I’m sure it’s an operators error. Much too tired for my brain to think....more house delays.....they are having issues getting garage doors and now our propane dealer has no tanks available for installation. Sigh.

Still can’t get over what a great deal this Lenova was. Thanks again.
Apps are installed from the Google Play Store, should be an icon on the top row on your home screen (swipe up from the bottom in the middle).

I was already familiar with using a Chromebook laptop to this transition was easy.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Apps are installed from the Google Play Store, should be an icon on the top row on your home screen (swipe up from the bottom in the middle).

I was already familiar with using a Chromebook laptop to this transition was easy.

Thank you for that....I did try that and it was like it froze. I turned it off last night....turned it back on this morning and it works now.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for that....I did try that and it was like it froze. I turned it off last night....turned it back on this morning and it works now.
It may have been downloading a Chrome update in the background, that's usually the reason for slow response and freezing. Once it finished you will get a notification in the panel that pops up from the bottom right corner, it will say restart to update. Mine had several updates before it settled down and now shows up to date.

Chrome has 2 copies of the OS, the one you boot up with, and the other gets the updates. When it restarts the two are switched, then the older copy get updated too. It's supposed to be more efficient than Windows updates that make you wait while it downloads and installs updates.

I found another weak point, the speakers are underpowered, low volume. My wife's iPad Pro are so powerful she uses it to play music. Still, not bad for $99 compared to $600 for the iPad pro.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

nomoretslt

Reaction score
@SmithOp it seems it does a lot of updates. It’s working just fine now. I’ll use headphones to listen....am going to try to download Netflix.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Are these better than the Fire Tablet 10 ? Originally priced at over $300 I think they might be. My wife had an ipad I replaced with a Fire Tablet and she seems ok with it but she does like the ipad better. I can't tell if this can be connected to a tv. The Fire Tablet can't.

Bill

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are these better than the Fire Tablet 10 ? Originally priced at over $300 I think they might be. My wife had an ipad I replaced with a Fire Tablet and she seems ok with it but she does like the ipad better. I can't tell if this can be connected to a tv. The Fire Tablet can't.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Yes you can connect your Lenovo Laptop

How to Connect Laptop to TV I Lenovo US

Richard

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hi Bill,

Yes you can connect your Lenovo Laptop

How to Connect Laptop to TV I Lenovo US

Richard

Thanks Richard. I'm looking at the specs and there isn't a hdmi port but there is a usb-c port. Does this usb-c port work as a hdmi port ?

Bill

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Richard. I'm looking at the specs and there isn't a hdmi port but there is a usb-c port. Does this usb-c port work as a hdmi port ?

Bill
Yes, get a USB C To HDMI cable and connect to your laptop & TV

Richard

glenmore

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Ordered one for my husband with a keyboard and he is looking forward to it! Great price!

I had actually been looking at IPads earlier today as he needs a larger reading surface than his iPhone so this was a great deal!!!

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
With only one USB-C port on your Chromebook, if you plug a simple USB-C to HDMI dongle and you run out of battery, you will need to unplug your dongle and plug your power supply.
So, you should buy a dongle that have an HDMI output and a PD input to plug your power supply in it simultaneously.

If you need multiple types of interface, you can buy something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093FKT9BF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the usb-c port is for power only, but it may support other functions, I’ll have to check. UPDATE - I was able to plug in a usb-c to HDMI adapter and connect to my tv. Switching input, the Chrome pad screen showed up on my TV, success. Since it has a very long battery life, up to 15 hrs on a charge, plenty of time to watch several movies before needing to switch to the power cord.

If you have a newer smart tv that supports Chromecast, then you could use that also. Chrome OS supports Chromecast, so any Chomebook/pad can use that. Both devices, TV and Chromepad need to be connected to the same network to use Chromecast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: