• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Time to Mexico

Klapkin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn On The Harbour
We are thinking of going to Mexico on an II exchange in January or February. I am looking for suggestions- which area to go to and good resorts. We are both in our late 60's and just want to sit by pool/beach and relax. Some sightseeing and good restaurants
Happy Thanksgiving

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
There are 2 suggestions that are great for first timers. Cancun and Cabo San Lucas.
Cancun has several timeshares right on the beach in the hotel zone, most of them are all inclusive. The Royal Islander and Royal Cancun are 2 of the few that are nice resorts but not all inclusive. The beach in Cancun is amazing to look at. It is one of the few beaches that are just as spectacular as the pictures they show in ads..

Cabo San Lucas has several timeshares throughout the main beach area as well as along the 'corridor'. The resorts along the corridor are the nicer resorts, but the beaches along the corridor are not swimmable. The main swimmable beach is Medano beach, and there are some nice resorts that sit on the beach here. Medano is our favorite, but it is also the busiest area with cruise ships that even pull into the bay.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest Cancun area. It's a well developed tourism area. You'll be hard pressed to find a resort than isn't all inclusive, but that keeps you insulated from it being 'too' Mexican. The beaches are 'sugar white', and English and dollars will serve you well. Consider taking an organized tour to Chichen Itza or another Mayan historical site.

The above are exactly the reasons I stay away from there. I want to interact with Mexican culture. Take a cooking class, have a margarita from a cart on the street, practice my Espanol, Shop in the local markets, eat in the mom & pop eateries with a menu in Spanish on a blackboard.

But there are plenty of places for all of us.

The weather in January/February is ideal.

Jim

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'd suggest Cancun area. It's a well developed tourism area. You'll be hard pressed to find a resort than isn't all inclusive, but that keeps you insulated from it being 'too' Mexican. The beaches are 'sugar white', and English and dollars will serve you well. Consider taking an organized tour to Chichen Itza or another Mayan historical site.

The above are exactly the reasons I stay away from there. I want to interact with Mexican culture. Take a cooking class, have a margarita from a cart on the street, practice my Espanol, Shop in the local markets, eat in the mom & pop eateries with a menu in Spanish on a blackboard.

But there are plenty of places for all of us.

The weather in January/February is ideal.

Jim

Jim's advise is exactly what we did years ago.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I agree with the above. Cancun is an easy trip.

Westin Lagunamar is a beautiful, peaceful resort with the biggest pool I’ve ever seen. It’s usually available II. And there’s a great outdoor shopping mall across the streets with several great restaurants.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Yup, I agree with Cancun or the Mayan Rivera because it looks like you live on the East Coast. Easy flight and no time zone difference. There are many choices in II but most seem to be mandatory AI is the downside for us.

Bill

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Just in case you wanted a few more options ... you could do either Nuevo Vallarta or the Diamante area of Acapulco. Both on the Pacific coast. You wouldn't have to venture too far from your resort to get to a local attractions. Acapulco has great beaches, excellent food, and cliff divers. Nuevo/Puerto Vallarta has excellent food, a great botanical garden, a zoo, Rhythms of the Night, and lots of water based tours/activities. Both areas have resorts that you can park yourself at and be pampered.