• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Received a Cherished Gift Today from a Friend

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I received a call last night from one of the first people that I met working here on Oahu. He retired last year and I haven't seen him since.

We talked quite a bit when I first arrived on Oahu. He has relatives on Molokai and he said he hadn't been back there in years. I asked why and he said the relatives insist he doesn't pay for lodging but they really don't have any sleeping accommodations that his old body can handle any more.

His relatives live on the east side and I said my condo was over there and I told him he was welcome to use it when he wanted to visit. About a week later, he asked me if I was serious because he mentioned it to his wife and they wanted to go. So I set it all up for them and they had a great time. He couldn't believe I let them stay for free after we had only met a couple months before.

Anyway, we talked daily and I always loved hearing his stories about Molokai. I told him it was sad that we wouldn't talk story everyday anymore when he retired. It was a pleasant surprise when I got his call and he wanted to met for a quick plate lunch yesterday at Richie's drive-in.

It turns out that he heard that I was retiring and he wanted to give me something. Just before his father passed away, his father gave him 10 old Hawaiian coins. He wanted him to give them out to people who show and live Aloha. He only had one left and he wanted me to have it. I was really touched and my eyes welled up a bit when he gave it to me.

It is an old beat up coin with no real value but it has real value to me. I told him that I will make sure when the time is right I will do the same and pass it on to someone the shows and lives Aloha. We even made plans for him to use our condo again while we will be on Kauai in May.

Only in Hawaii.

20211121_162230.jpg
20211121_162234.jpg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very Cool! No actual value, but it this context, PRICELESS!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
A lovely sentiment. Well deserved.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, I forgot to mention, he said it took him over 10 years to pass them all out.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
What a great story, and a tribute to the effect you have had on this man’s life.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
What a touching story and a precious gift!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great story, Jeff, and what a good friend to have, even if you don't know him well. What he said of you is true. You have demonstrated my philosophy on friendship: Always be the friend you want to have in your own life. I said as much during our visit the other day - that you have always shown Local Hawaiians the respect they deserve, and you make friends there easily because of it.

For those who may wonder what the words on the back of the coin mean, it's the Hawaii state motto. "Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono." It means "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness."

Hapaha is a quarter-dollar coin. There is more to learn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalākaua_coinage

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great story, Jeff, and what a good friend to have, even if you don't know him well. What he said of you is true. You have demonstrated my philosophy on friendship: Always be the friend you want to have in your own life. I said as much during our visit the other day - that you have always shown Local Hawaiians the respect they deserve, and you make friends there easily because of it.

For those who may wonder what the words on the back of the coin mean, it's the Hawaii state motto. "Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono." It means "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness."

Hapaha is a quarter-dollar coin. There is more to learn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalākaua_coinage

Dave

Mahalo Dave

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Jeff, thank you for sharing your story. It was very touching and truly speaks of Aloha.

Best regards.

Mike

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful. This is one of the main reasons we keep coming back to Hawaii.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff for sharing this meanful story and thanks DaveNV for explaining the meaning on the back of this coin.

"The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness. " This is so beautiful and true.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I told him it was sad that we wouldn't talk story everyday anymore when he retired

Oh Jeff, to be able to "talk story" with someone, what a treat! It was over 45 years ago that I spent a semester at university in Hawaii and some of the ways we said things will never leave me. I think I still "go store".......