• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dubai anyone?

James G

Reaction score
I noticed that Interval has several resorts in Dubai, although they may be cheaper just to rent rather than do an exchange. I haven't done the research yet. I have never been to the UAE. For those that have been there, is it worth the trip? We're talking 18 hour flights and I'm getting a little sore just thinking about that! However, the place looks like it has a lot to offer. What can all of you tell me?

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
I noticed that Interval has several resorts in Dubai, although they may be cheaper just to rent rather than do an exchange. I haven't done the research yet. I have never been to the UAE. For those that have been there, is it worth the trip? We're talking 18 hour flights and I'm getting a little sore just thinking about that! However, the place looks like it has a lot to offer. What can all of you tell me?
Had a trip planned for Aug-2020 but due to COVID we rescheduled to Mar-2021.
Used Bonvoy points for a Multi-Country trip:
  • Dubai: 5-Days [280K-Bonvoy Al Maha]
  • Mussoorie, India: 5-Days [140K-Bonvoy JW Marriott]
  • Mumbai, India: 10-Days [$120/Night St. Regis]
  • Mauritius: 5-Days [240K-Bonvoy St. Regis]
  • Maldives: 5-Days [400K-Bonvoy St. Regis]

Dubai: There is much to do including Sand-Dune'ing, Desert-Safari [with Camel rides], Worlds Tallest-Tower, Indoor-Skiing, Gold-Souk Shopping, Dow-Rides, Palm-Island, Ferrari-World, Grand-Mosque, Dubai-Marina and more. Maybe the Dubai-Wheel [worlds tallest] will soon open.

Flights: You are right that the journey is long from the West-Coast to Asia over Europe.
Emirates has a Non-Stop LAX -> DXB 16hrs. However, we managed to get decent Business-Fares for ~$3k.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent 1 month in the UAE a few years ago, and spent time in 5 of the 7 Emirates. One of the Emirates we only spent the day. Enjoyed our entire stay, it was interesting to say the least. The breakfast buffets are the most amazing I have ever seen, but that is all over the Middle East. I am a vegetarian , and I have a field day there. There are items on the breakfast buffets you never see elsewhere, humus, falafel, dates stuffed with walnuts, every kind of nuts there are, vegetable samosa, lentil soup, the list goes on. There is something for everyone, the typical US ,UK, Asian breakfast etc. and its all incredible. You have to see it to believe it. The fruits are fantastic. The service in hotels is amazing, the hotels fabulous. DH and I really enjoy seeing different areas of the world, seeing the different cultures and the differences in each country. Can't wait til the borders open up again everywhere.

TravelAmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, MR! Impressive :)
I have a trip scheduled for January 2022.
8 days Abu Dhabi and 10 days Dubai.
Getting away with 280K for 5 days @ Al Maha was a BARGAIN! The going rate now is 100,000 night.
I'd love to know the provider used for the desert safari as I am shopping for providers now...

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When I was in Dubai it seemed the most popular event was shopping. The entire city seemed like it was comprised of shops, restaurants and hotels. Oh, and Atlantis.

We had to search for a museum (though interesting, once we found it!).

We enjoyed a private night “safari and astronomy tour”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

TravelAmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, this was the safari we went on… it was great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Ken555 - that's the website I've been on twice this week: Platinum-Heritage. Want to spend the night, tho so considering the overnight safari. Thanks for letting me know it was great!

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I was scheduled to leave for an Azamara Middle East cruise out of Dubai a day after the no-travel order for Canada was announced. So it all got cancelled, yet I was already packed. Everyone has their vacations cancelled story, that was my first of many!

So anyhow, I did a ton of research on that whole region but didn't get to go. Putting a pin in that idea until travelling becomes easier.

The Platinum Heritage company is where I was booking "Heritage" category tours (old Land Rovers are my true love). There are also some Falconry tours (even with luxury breakfasts) that sounded good too -- take a look at Royal Shaheen company for falconry.

I had looked into the timeshares available, but I didn't really think I needed a whole week in Dubai. Also, several were all-inclusive and you have to pay for the number of guests the room 'can' accommodate. I usually like to book a 2 bedroom regardless of how few are going on vacation with me.

You may know this already, but Dubai has a very long layout of coastline, you will want to choose carefully where you stay. I think the quality will be good, but you also get what you pay for (especially there!).

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Wow, MR! Impressive :)
I have a trip scheduled for January 2022.
8 days Abu Dhabi and 10 days Dubai.
Getting away with 280K for 5 days @ Al Maha was a BARGAIN! The going rate now is 100,000 night.
I'd love to know the provider used for the desert safari as I am shopping for providers now...
Since the last trip was canceled we moved the trip to Dec.

Here's the new schedule. Hoping it doesn't get canceled.
  • Dubai: 5-Days [340K-Bonvoy Al Maha] x 3-Rooms
  • Mumbai, India: 10-Days [$120/Night St. Regis]
  • Mauritius: 5-Days [240K-Bonvoy St. Regis] x 2-Rooms
  • Maldives: 5-Days [400K-Bonvoy St. Regis] x 2 Rooms
Al Maha is a 100% All-Inclusive resort.
Confirmed with the hotel that my bookings are all AI [Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner] making the 340K-Bonvoy rate a good value.
AI also includes 2 excursions Per-Person/Day [Desert-Safaris is one of the excursions we can choose].

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Your schedule looks fantastic, Al Maha will be superb. Have an amazing trip. Mauritius and Maldives is in my 2023 plan -- would love you to report back on this thread when you return!

TravelAmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh, MR, so the March 21 trip was rescheduled as well. Can't wait to hear your report on the entire trip. India is on my bucket list.
Al Maha will be fabulous! And, at 340K for 5 nights, still a bargain. It is indeed all-inclusive, although it is interesting the "marketing" used to show different rate levels.

Since Al Maha is out of my budget for this trip...now considering the RC Ras Al Khaimah or spending a couple of nights in the Abu Dhabi desert at the Al Wathba (Luxury Hotel), which used to be a Jumeirah property.
Anyone with experience or viewpoints of either property?? Would love to do a head-to-head comparison.