• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID test @ NV Vidanta info needed

Oti_romo

Reaction score
I’m traveling to Nuevo Vallarta at the end of March , and staying at the Mayan palace.I called the resort and they told me the antigen COVID test is $30 usd and the pcr is $130 usd.
They stated that it’s the guest cost and that they are not going to discount even though we have 2 separate room reservations and will be 12 people (2 separate families with children booked last year before this new rule)

my question is
1. Has anyone gotten Vidanta to pay for the test or do a credit? If so how?
2. Is there more affordable testing sites around Nuevo Vallarta?

lawduck

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would they pay for the tests? Being tested is a requirement to return to the U.S., and is not a "new rule" imposed by the resort. If someone tests positive, they are also going to charge you to stay onsite for the requisite period (although at some discount). It is a convenience for us that they are doing testing onsite and $30 is a good deal (and cheaper than at some of their other locations).

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Vidanta will not pay for the tests. It is not their responsibility - as lawduck said this is a requirement from the US and Canada to return home. They have made arrangements for a 3rd party company to come on-site to do the tests and have provided a space for them to do so. That is not required and many resorts have not provided this service.

The $30 pp is less than other places in the area. It is my understanding that you have to pay the 3rd party folks that do the tests, not Vidanta. If you go somewhere else, you will have to pay taxi fare both ways and many places are charging $50 pp.

Oti_romo

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t Vidanta pay it? We spend thousands and hotels in puerto Vallarta that are not at Vidanta caliber are offering free tests with stay.
Every year their prices goes up, I feel they could at least look out after their guest.

I work as an administrator at an assisted living, we get our abbot antigen tests for $5/ a kit. They are charging 6x the price. Seems greedy.

I’m sure Vidanta is getting their test for free from the Mexican government, then charging its customers. Seems greedy that’s all.
Sorry about the venting.

Attachments

• RivieraNayarit_PruebasCovid_Eng.pdf
    841.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 5650B97B-6804-41C7-A58E-DE355DDAAB00.png
    5650B97B-6804-41C7-A58E-DE355DDAAB00.png
    147 KB · Views: 65

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I work as an administrator at an assisted living, we get our abbot antigen tests for $5/ a kit. They are charging 6x the price. Seems greedy.

I’m sure Vidanta is getting their test for free from the Mexican government, then charging its customers. Seems greedy that’s all.
Sorry about the venting.
I believe the test is done by an independent testing service / lab.

Vidanta and other resorts are facilitating the process - so that their visitors do not have to spend vacation time going to get tested.

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
Being a government requirement, I do not think the resorts - including all of them - are responsible for something that OUR government is requiring. Asking them to pay that fee - just does not sound right. If resorts WANT to cover fee for test that is their choice! I do not care if it first class or low class - resorts should not be responsible for the fee for the test OUR government demands.....just my opinion.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t Vidanta pay it? We spend thousands and hotels in puerto Vallarta that are not at Vidanta caliber are offering free tests with stay.
Every year their prices goes up, I feel they could at least look out after their guest.

Sorry about the venting.
The resorts that are paying for the test to return to the US/Canada are from what I have read, are all inclusive resorts. I am sure the price is built into their AI charges, no free "lunch".

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m traveling to Nuevo Vallarta at the end of March , and staying at the Mayan palace.I called the resort and they told me the antigen COVID test is $30 usd and the pcr is $130 usd.
They stated that it’s the guest cost and that they are not going to discount even though we have 2 separate room reservations and will be 12 people (2 separate families with children booked last year before this new rule)

my question is
1. Has anyone gotten Vidanta to pay for the test or do a credit? If so how?
2. Is there more affordable testing sites around Nuevo Vallarta?

Sounds like with 12 people it's going to cost quite a few bucks.... I think I would put the trip off for at least 6 months when I would think a lot of these requirements may be a thing of the past......

JordinE

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Mayan
We just did our test an hour ago here at vidanta. $25 per person. Super easy and Convenient! Obviously I wish it was cheaper, or that my insurance would cover it here like they do in the US, but I’m grateful vidanta offers it here so we didn’t have to do into town!

sunshine3330

Reaction score
Test at the airport is $22 You can get it done when you arrive at the airport for departure and you are given the results at that time.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
What happens if your covid test comes up positive at the end of your Vidanta NV exchange and you have to stay in Mexico for another week or so? Do you need to search for last minute accomodations or is it going to be extremely expensive to stay at Vidanta a week longer?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
What happens if your covid test comes up positive at the end of your Vidanta NV exchange and you have to stay in Mexico for another week or so? Do you need to search for last minute accomodations or is it going to be extremely expensive to stay at Vidanta a week longer?

According to a TUG poster - one of the GL buildings has accomedations set aside for this.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although getting covid in and of itself would be concerning of course, I am also concerned that the rates might be $300 or more per night for the extra nights at Vidanta, much more than the exchange cost was. And if that is the case, are you allowed to find other accomodations elsewhere or are there rules in place regarding where you have to stay if one person tests positive?

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Using a nasal wash with only the saline solution can clean out the sinus area. Adding a drop of Lugols Solution to the saline could even kill virus. These nasal wash kits are about $10 at Riteaid.

Bill

rpennisi

Reaction score
Using a nasal wash with only the saline solution can clean out the sinus area. Adding a drop of Lugols Solution to the saline could even kill virus. These nasal wash kits are about $10 at Riteaid.

Bill
Is this a technique for beating the Covid test? To test as negative so you won't be quarantined?
For anyone who has tested positive, what do they charge for the extended stay at Vidanta?

Ron

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill

And we wonder why self-quarantining failed miserably.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Previous post about second-hand recounting of positive COVID test there:

I didn't see anything about whether they were charged for the room. Things may have changed now, so it would probably be worth calling and asking them.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is this a technique for beating the Covid test? To test as negative so you won't be quarantined?
For anyone who has tested positive, what do they charge for the extended stay at Vidanta?

Ron

Yes, it is a way to prevent viral load in the nasal passage, not just for passing an antigen test but mostly to help prevent the spread of covid. We do this weekly.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And we wonder why self-quarantining failed miserably.

Likely because most people, even those that are vaccinated, take very little if any measures to prevent spreading covid. BTW, self quarantine for the most part does work. Many people I know have had covid and did self quarantine.

We were doing the sinus wash weekly and the mega weekly dose of vit D. I did use the sinus wash and a manaku honey nasal spray when we were in Mexico last winter. Not to circumvent a test result which is a benefit, imo, but to reduce exposure if any. Other supplements include zinc, echinacea and other vitamins if we think we are exposed or are catching a cold.

Bill

Last edited:

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were scheduled to for an exchange to Grand Luxxe in November. So I called Vidanta today at 1-800-292-9446 and they said you can take the covid test onsite before flying back for $30 USD for person.

I then asked how much you would have to pay per night to stay at Grand Luxxe for extra nights if you tested positive. He would only say you would get a "special rate". I pressed him on this and he wouldn't give me any info other than assuring me it will be less than 20,000 pesos per night. You do have the option to stay at another hotel if it is too expensive.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
We were scheduled to for an exchange to Grand Luxxe in November. So I called Vidanta today at 1-800-292-9446 and they said you can take the covid test onsite before flying back for $30 USD for person.

I then asked how much you would have to pay per night to stay at Grand Luxxe for extra nights if you tested positive. He would only say you would get a "special rate". I pressed him on this and he wouldn't give me any info other than assuring me it will be less than 20,000 pesos per night. You do have the option to stay at another hotel if it is too expensive.

Wow, that’s generous of them….

rpennisi

Reaction score

We were staying at the Mayan Palace a few years ago for two weeks. When we got to the airport, bad weather in the NE cancelled our flights for the next two days. We got a free ride back to the MP, but the rate they wanted to charge us (and we were owners) was a discount based on the rack rate. We declined and stayed instead at their recently opened Sea Breeze for a lot less. I am guessing the same rack rate "discount" would be similar if needed. As if 20,000 pesos per night were the normal price folks pay, about 1,000 dollars US per night! I have always noted these rack rates when checking into Vidanta properties, from MP to GL very inflated numbers.

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Wyndham Midtown 45
Hey all,

Rather than creating a new thread I figured I'd just use this one since the title fits pretty darn well.

We are heading to NV Vidanta the first week of December (one month away!!) and are all vaccinated (except our under 11 yr old - who we hope will have at least 1 shot by then).
Questions are:
1. Has anyone been through the process of paying the $30 for a return test?
2. If yes, How was the process? easy to schedule? easy to test? confident in the process? timely results?
3. How was the resort while you were there? What did you think it's overall capacity status was? 50% full 95% full?
4. How was it off resort? easy to get around?
5. Did you participate in any tours? (ie Vallarta Adventures) How was that? Have to show vaccination information?
6. Suggestions to make the week there better because of Covid?
7. Overall suggestions for staying there in general? (visit the OXXO for your drink/food, Go to XXX restaurant, Don't go to ZZZ restaurant, Tuesday is the best day to YYY)
8. We get in late on Friday and hope to "schedule" a presentation for Monday, will we be able to pull that off. WILL NOT BE buying, lots of points through Wyndham, but won't be back through RCI for 4 years now :mad: