• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Ocean Club- Booked on points in Oct- can I (as a Canadian) cancel due to covid

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
The covid incidence rate in Hawaii right now is much higher than in any Canadian province or territory.

Our family is totally vaccinated.

But I am still concerned about coming?

Governor Ige is discouraging tourist travel to Hawaii because of covid.
What do you think- should I cancel? If so, will MVCI allow me to perhaps re-book next year- without loss of the points?

If I do come, what is the covid situation in Maui.
Are there Canadians staying at this resort.
Would the resort concierge help us with getting information on getting pcr tests required for entry into Canada even for Canadians (who are doubly vaccinated).

We will be arriving from Ottawa via Vancouver to Maui- we will transit via Honolulu the last day and then that night connect on an Air Canada flight to Canada via Vancouver.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
I’m sorry you’re in such a predicament, but since COVID isn’t new, I just can’t imagine any exceptions. Your canceled points will go into a holding account, for a future booking at their full value, but only be usable for reservation(s) made within 60 days of check-in, whether you cancel today or the day before check-in.

If you booked with 2021 points, I’d look to see if I there were any other use for the points ASAP, but would not feel compelled to cancel until I found that something else, since I’d still hope to go to HI. Again, the points wouldn’t be any more restricted for cancellations even one day prior to check-in.

If the points were borrowed in from 2022, I might still take my time to cancel, hoping to go to HI, but weigh that uncertainty against the option of making a reliably accessibly close date reservation or two with discounts … it’s how we wound at a home resort for over 100 cheap nights during our year of remote schooling!

Last edited:

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
I just wanted to add that I brought a daughter to Ko Olina on a last-minute substitute senior trip in May/June, a first ever trip to HI, and we loved it! We were totally vaccinated, but welcomed all the testing and social distancing requirements, which gave us the confidence to travel just before summer crowds would build.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We are in a similar position as you for our planned October Hawaii trip, but we're using our two deeded Maui and Kauai weeks instead of points. In either event, it's essentially "use it or lose it" as far as getting any real value from what would be left over after a cancellation. Our plan is to go and have a great time - as long as the Governor's request to avoid travel doesn't become a mandatory order. We are also fully vaccinated and will wear masks indoors as required by Hawaii state law. Since Maui will be implementing their vaccination mandate for indoor dining starting next week, dining out in Maui should be "safer" than the places we go in our day-to-day lives at home. They are also limiting restaurants and activities like sunset cruises to 50% capacity, so since we have had our dining and activity reservations made for quite a while (except for a couple that can only be made 30 days out), we are looking forward to the smaller capacities on a couple sunset cruises. We have always gravitated toward boats that advertise fewer people per boat, so reduced capacity plays right into our preferences anyway.

The good news is case counts and hospitalizations in Hawaii have started dropping over the last 7-10 days. If that trend continues, and isn't significantly interrupted by a resurgence after Labor Day weekend parties, we are hopeful that the worst is behind Hawaii and no further restrictions will be implemented. What the winter will bring, and what impact that may have on our next trip to Hawaii in February 2022 is anyone's guess, but we'll start worrying about that once this October trip is behind us.

I can't address you Canadian-specific questions, but my understanding is testing is widely available in Hawaii (they have put a major emphasis on testing and have one of the highest per capita testing rates in the U.S.). So, I would expect it to be easy to find a place to get whatever test you will need to return to Canada.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
The covid incidence rate in Hawaii right now is much higher than in any Canadian province or territory.

Our family is totally vaccinated.

But I am still concerned about coming?

Governor Ige is discouraging tourist travel to Hawaii because of covid.
What do you think- should I cancel? If so, will MVCI allow me to perhaps re-book next year- without loss of the points?

If I do come, what is the covid situation in Maui.
Are there Canadians staying at this resort.
Would the resort concierge help us with getting information on getting pcr tests required for entry into Canada even for Canadians (who are doubly vaccinated).

We will be arriving from Ottawa via Vancouver to Maui- we will transit via Honolulu the last day and then that night connect on an Air Canada flight to Canada via Vancouver.
Lots of us debating trips to various places with the risk of losing points/weeks if we don’t go- feel your pain!
Keep an eye on the resorts updates for information on what is open and closed, restrictions and vaccination requirements-

good luck!

Last edited:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Keep in mind, those vaccinated in Canada are considered unvaccinated by Hawaii. Only vaccines administered in the US count.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Keep in mind, those vaccinated in Canada are considered unvaccinated by Hawaii. Only vaccines administered in the US count.

Are you sure about that?

The text below was posted in the Hawaii forum and comes from the new Maui vaccine requirement. Sounds like any official documentation suffices for restaurants, etc.

“A completed vaccination card (which includes name of person vaccinated, type of vaccine provided and date last dose administered) in original, photocopied, or digital form; the Hawaii SMART Health Card digital health pass; or other similar vaccination documentation from a healthcare provider are acceptable proof of vaccination."

The only other factor would be whatever the Safe Travels Hawaii site requires for
Canadian documentation to enter the state.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Are you sure about that?

The text below was posted in the Hawaii forum and comes from the new Maui vaccine requirement. Sounds like any official documentation suffices for restaurants, etc.

“A completed vaccination card (which includes name of person vaccinated, type of vaccine provided and date last dose administered) in original, photocopied, or digital form; the Hawaii SMART Health Card digital health pass; or other similar vaccination documentation from a healthcare provider are acceptable proof of vaccination."

The only other factor would be whatever the Safe Travels Hawaii site requires for
Canadian documentation to enter the state.

I was referring to Safe Travels. Only vaccines administered in the US count for entry to Hawaii. Canadians are considered unvaccinated and must test like any other unvaccinated visitors.

Whether restaurants etc. will be accepting non-US proof of vaccination, remains to be seen. But if they end up requiring the same proof as for Safe Travels, then Canadians will be banned from restaurants etc.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the Marriott hub for MOC- lots of good info there
Hawaii Pre-Travel Testing Program

Effective July 8, 2021, domestic travelers to Hawaii who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the United States are now able to bypass the state’s pre-travel testing and quarantine requirements.

For those travelers to Hawaii who do not meet the state’s requirements as domestic and fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the United States, the state of Hawaii has a Pre-Travel Testing Program that provides an alternative to the mandatory 10-day quarantine in connection with travel into Hawaii if all pre-travel testing requirements have been met. It will be your kuleana(responsibility) to know the rules surrounding the Pre-Travel Testing Program and self-quarantine requirements and to abide by the rules imposed. PLEASE NOTE that a county may also require travelers five years and older to obtain a subsequent test after arrival into the state. Please review current government guidance often, as your travel plans could be affected.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Many feel the OPs decision struggle. Any travel booking currently has a risk associated that's changing weekly due to COVID. Trends this month, are different than last month and the month before. In the end, the choice is theirs to make based on personal risk tolerance and pros/cons of their situation. I know many who continue to travel without issue and are comfortable doing so. I also know many who aren't traveling at all, due to their concerns. To each their own.

For the OP, if the reservation is booked using DC Pts.....you at least have the option to cancel and obtain your DC Pts back (with a 60 day restriction). That's far better than nothing and a strength for DC Pts from a flexibility perspective. But, as you indicated, if they have an expiration use date of 2021...you will have to use them this year for another location. MVCI is not going to extend or provide lenience, especially if the resort and State of HI are still open. If not comfortable with HI COVID, perhaps you can change your travel plans and select another location that is available using DC Pts within the next 60 days that you are comfortable with? Travel insurance may also help if you bought early on, but take note of the Ts & Cs as a personal choice on cancelling may/may not be covered.

We also have Oct Hawaii plans for an extended family vacation which we planned originally for April 2020. The first attempt got canceled due to COVID and we ate the MFees (not cheap for HI) and had restricted DC Pts also as an outcome. A tough decision at the time. A "Lose It" situation. We looked at rescheduling in early 2021, then summer 2021..and chose Oct 2021 thinking that was far enough out that COVID would be passed us. It was a full 1.5 yrs later! Well, we know much more on COVID now, have many vaccinated, but it's clearly still not behind us. Frustrating.

Our current Oct reservation is mix of traditional timeshare weeks, DC Pts, and a RW rental. All of us are vaccinated and tend to lean on the overly cautious side of safety for COVID. Our plan, similar to JIMinNCs....is to go and be extra safe....as long as the Gov allows. We are vaccinated, will mask, will follow the rules, and are okay not eating in restaurants, etc. We just want the Aloha, beauty of HI, and some well needed beach/pool time away from home at some of our favorite MVCI spots. We recognize it will not be the normal HI Aloha experience, but hopefully still good. Our extended family invited knows they will need to make their own decision, based on personal risk tolerance and their own individual health.

Good luck OP! Many feel your decision struggle. Key now is to know your options, then weight the pros/cons...and choose. October isn't too far, so don't wait too long.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Has the US opened to allow any travel from Canada to the US without regard to "if they are vaccinated"? So it may not be just Hawaii you'll have trouble getting into. Sorry

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Has the US opened to allow any travel from Canada to the US without regard to "if they are vaccinated"? So it may not be just Hawaii you'll have trouble getting into. Sorry

Yes. US has never been closed to Canadians, but travel by air only. Land border is closed.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I just came back from Ko Olina two weeks ago. You will be fine. Get your PCR test before you go, register with Safe Travels and upload your documents. Show them your QR code and they will ask at the resort. Didn't have any issues and then went to an urgent care centre to get my test coming back. $150 CDN going down and $150US coming back for tests. Download ArrCan app and load your info. I would suggest keeping your plans. I'm also double vaccinated in Canada. Follow the rules and instructions and you will have no problem.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called MVCI agent on the telephone yesterday.

I wanted to cancel with reservation.

He could only going on by the book. - meaning I could book within the 60 days of the first date of booking and meaning the points had to be used this calendar year.

I hope to get a resolution whereby the same policy would apply as was the case in March 2020 -I had a booking through points . Due to the emergence of covid- I was allowed to book anytime from Oct 2021 through to Dec 31, 2021. And being able 60 days of the arrival date.

I have arranged for a MVCI customer service can call me- whereby I can only speak a supervisor.

Thanks.

RG

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I called MVCI agent on the telephone yesterday.

I wanted to cancel with reservation.

He could only going on by the book. - meaning I could book within the 60 days of the first date of booking and meaning the points had to be used this calendar year.

I hope to get a resolution whereby the same policy would apply as was the case in March 2020 -I had a booking through points . Due to the emergence of covid- I was allowed to book anytime from Oct 2021 through to Dec 31, 2021. And being able 60 days of the arrival date.

I have arranged for a MVCI customer service can call me- whereby I can only speak a supervisor.

Thanks.

RG

There is a big difference between then and now. Hawaii was preventing travel then. You couldn't get there. At this point, you are choosing not to travel-I am not judging that decision, its a personal one. But from MVC perspective, flights are landing, the resort is open. They are prepared to provide your villa. If you don't get a better option, my suggestion is cancel as late as you can-unless you want to book someplace else. Maybe Hawaii does place further restrications causing MVC to be more flexible.

I do understand MVC positon-as I stated above-and they cannot just keep rolling points forward when travel is available. The glut of points that would create would restrict inventory so much that usage would become very difficult.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a big difference between then and now. Hawaii was preventing travel then. You couldn't get there. At this point, you are choosing not to travel-I am not judging that decision, its a personal one. But from MVC perspective, flights are landing, the resort is open. They are prepared to provide your villa. If you don't get a better option, my suggestion is cancel as late as you can-unless you want to book someplace else. Maybe Hawaii does place further restrications causing MVC to be more flexible.

I do understand MVC positon-as I stated above-and they cannot just keep rolling points forward when travel is available. The glut of points that would create would restrict inventory so much that usage would become very difficult.

I actually got the message from a MVCI supervisor by email a few minutes ago.
She actually gave me the argument that you are stating above- and that she does not have the authority to give me more leeway than what MVCI as whole is allowing.

I will try to talk to her tomorrow to see what my options are.

I still feel that the issues with Governor's Ige's statements on discouraging travel, and as a Canadian who may have more issues with proof of vaccination- I do not feel it would be wise for me to go.

I have asked a few acquaintances who I have asked to go - they can not go at such short notice. I will think of a few more people.

[Moderator Note: Comments deleted. Please note the TUG Rules prohibit ads in the public forums.] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I actually got the message from a MVCI supervisor by email a few minutes ago.
She actually gave me the argument that you are stating above- and that she does not have the authority to give me more leeway than what MVCI as whole is allowing.

I will try to talk to her tomorrow to see what my options are.

I still feel that the issues with Governor's Ige's statements on discouraging travel, and as a Canadian who may have more issues with proof of vaccination- I do not feel it would be wise for me to go.

Unfortunately at this point it is more of a personal decision than an actual ability to get into Maui. We were there during the Governor's statement discouraging travel on August 23. I never ran into any issue eating anywhere, everyone was wearing masks and the only place where I was asked was at the resort & car rental where they asked to see my safe travels QR code. Having traveled to all the islands on a number of occasions, depending on what you like to do, we were never in any situation with large crowds of people. Maybe you like going to the busy restaurants but everywhere we went was fine. We went to costco to shop at least a couple of times, but there was lots of space and everyone being careful to give others room that I never felt threatened that we were too close.

As a Canadian in the same position as you are in, it was not an issue and I was never refused service anywhere nor asked other than the resort and car rental. At the end of the day, it's your decision and if you don't feel safe, you shouldn't go but from restriction standpoint it is a non-issue. We were there Aug 21-29 at Ko Olina on Oahu

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately at this point it is more of a personal decision than an actual ability to get into Maui. We were there during the Governor's statement discouraging travel on August 23. I never ran into any issue eating anywhere, everyone was wearing masks and the only place where I was asked was at the resort & car rental where they asked to see my safe travels QR code. Having traveled to all the islands on a number of occasions, depending on what you like to do, we were never in any situation with large crowds of people. Maybe you like going to the busy restaurants but everywhere we went was fine. We went to costco to shop at least a couple of times, but there was lots of space and everyone being careful to give others room that I never felt threatened that we were too close.

As a Canadian in the same position as you are in, it was not an issue and I was never refused service anywhere nor asked other than the resort and car rental. At the end of the day, it's your decision and if you don't feel safe, you shouldn't go but from restriction standpoint it is a non-issue. We were there Aug 21-29 at Ko Olina on Oahu

I have a nephrologist friend in Honolulu (I am a physician myself) - he is due to covid only seeing patients virtually, not in person.
He normally has a practice on the outer islands as well; because of covid he has cancelled such trips (whether for work or for pleasure).

Also with the Hawaii safe health program and with the Maui smarter program (at least the latter was just instituted 2 days ago)- I am not sure that the Canadian written proof of vaccination will be sufficient to get to restaurants or other non-essential indoor establishments. I may or may not have had the same ease as you did when going indoors to non-essential establishments (and the Oahu program is stricter than the Maui program).

I have now booked the same 8 nights in the San Francisco Marriott 2 unit pulse unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a nephrologist friend in Honolulu (I am a physician myself) - he is due to covid only seeing patients virtually, not in person.
He normally has a practice on the outer islands as well; because of covid he has cancelled such trips (whether for work or for pleasure).

Also with the Hawaii safe health program and with the Maui smarter program (at least the latter was just instituted 2 days ago)- I am not sure that the Canadian written proof of vaccination will be sufficient to get to restaurants or other non-essential indoor establishments. I may or may not have had the same ease as you did when going indoors to non-essential establishments (and the Oahu program is stricter than the Maui program).

Vaccine Pass' program now in effect on Oahu & Maui
Required for entry into Oahu & Maui establishments
On Oahu, beginning September 13, 2021, as per a new emergency order signed by Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi, all customers wishing to enter Oahu restaurants, bars, gyms, and other Oahu establishments will need to show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test; part of the city of Honolulu's Safe Access Oahu program. This program will remain in effect on Oahu for at least 60 days, until mid-November 2021.

On Maui, beginning September 15, 2021, vaccine cards will be required to dine indoors at Maui restaurants. Maui County Mayor Michael Victorino has said, "Customers will be required to show vaccination, vaccination cards, or some sort of verification. And those who don't have it, if they have outside seating, they're allowed to sit outside and/or takeout."

From a couple of weeks ago, they are using the Safe Travels App as it is readily available and easy for businesses to ask to see it especially if you are a visitor (which they can tell you're not a local from a mile away, lol). Businesses are probably not taking it to the same level as the government insisting on vaccination in the US. You have to take into consideration, a lot of the businesses are hurting with the decrease in tourism, they want the business. They're going to be reasonable (if anything Hawaiians are more kind, warm and welcoming than mainland US). If you're showing your negative covid test, safe travels QR code and proof of vaccination in Canada, highly unlikely you're going to be turned away.

Of course, your feeling of ease is purely personal and you may not feel comfortable, which is totally legitimate BUT from Marriott standpoint, you are allowed to go and they have the facility available to you so you can't expect them to change the policy when it is a personal vs a governmental issue preventing you from going.

Cases
Daily Avg.
Per
14-day
change
Hospitalized
Avg. Per 100,000
14-day
change
Deaths
Daily Avg.
Per
Fully
Vaccinated
Hawaii603 43–34%
cases trajectory last two weeks
30–5%6.6 0.4657%
Hawaii ›95 47–30%
28–9%0.7 0.35
Kauai ›33 45–7%
10+50%0.6 0.79
Honolulu ›414 42–36%
36+14%4.7 0.48
Maui ›62 37–34%
35+14%0.4 0.26
Kalawao0
37+17%

Alberta 6,277 per 100,000
Ontario 4,682 per 100,000

Currently Ontario, where you are, has over 100x the rates of Hawaii and 120x that of Maui. In Alberta, where our crazy politicians opened up for summer as we're in an "endemic", we're even worse, at about 150x Hawaii and 160x Maui. From reasonability standpoint, I think you are at much higher risk in Ottawa than Maui by 120x.

At the end of the day, only you can decide how safe you feel but if you don't feel safe with Maui's & Hawaii's numbers, how are you going out in Ontario with over 100x the infection rate ? Just quantifying the real numbers....

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are looking at gross numbers- so obviously - all other things being equal -if the new case per capita is the same in Hawaii as it is in Alberta or Ontario - the numbers in the provinces will be more than in Hawaii.

Here is the link that compares all states/DC with provinces and territories in terms of per capita new case rates.

Hawaii is in the middle of the pack (I agree with above statistics that incidence in Hawaii is decreasing). But its per capita rates are still higher than Saskatchewan, Alberta, or NWT.

What you do not mention in your statistics is the hospital or ICU covid numbers. Both the press and my nephrologist friend state that such numbers have not (yet) started to decrease (significantly), if at all.

So my nephrologist friend, as of an email to me yesterday - said the the Hawaii health care system is stress- it can not take any more covid or non-covid patients.

That is why Governor Ige has proclaimed a travel advisory against outside travelers coming in through to the end of Oct -he does not want travelers (even doubly vaccinated with a negative covid test to come). Based on Canadian government statistics of all travelers (returning Canadians or otherwise) who had a double vaccinated travelers who had a negative covid test on boarding their flights, about 1% of them still have a second positive covid test on arrival. So one negative covid test in a doubly vaccinated individual who has no symptoms of covid has approximately a 1% chance of being a covid carrier! An of course, nothing is to stop such travelers from requiring medical attention- once they are in Hawaii - for non-covid reasons.

So even though MVCI is indeed wide open as you say; my unsuccessful argument to MVCI is that they should be good corporate citizens and for those customers who do not wish it would be appropriate to come to Hawaii - they should accommodate them.

PS-I see you live in Alberta - I see what your per capita new cases covid statistics are. Well Hawaii's are even worse (see that link); if you think Alberta's health care system is bucking under the covid strain - well, the pressure on Hawaii's health care system due to covid infected patients is even worse!

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
So even though MVCI is indeed wide open as you say; my unsuccessful argument to MVCI is that they should be good corporate citizens and for those customers who do not wish it would be appropriate to come to Hawaii - they should accommodate them.
And I am sure their response was, you do not have to go to Hawaii. You can travel to any of the other Marriott Vacation resorts that are open.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from, Kauai, was surprised to see so few people. I suspect people are cancelling in larger numbers. More evidence was the auto rental rates going way down on this island, and, it was easy to get a much lower price than even a month ago. The plane from LAX to and from Kauai was maybe 20% full, it was way oversized for the "crowd". Many rows were completely empty. So, actually, felt super safe. Everyone in Hawaii wears masks, sometimes outdoors. It's likely safer there than home. Yes, you can get Covid anywhere but it depends what you do. I was there fore 2 weeks and can't recall any crowd anywhere we went, except airport I suppose. You might choose differently, we ate in the room as we always do. It was a fantastic two weeks with friends who stayed with us, very happy we went. Ended up doing an epic hike the last day, 11 miles on very difficult terrain to a 300' waterfall. Obviously no crowd there!

My choice would be to go right now.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Just got back from, Kauai, was surprised to see so few people. I suspect people are cancelling in larger numbers. More evidence was the auto rental rates going way down on this island, and, it was easy to get a much lower price than even a month ago. The plane from LAX to and from Kauai was maybe 20% full, it was way oversized for the "crowd". Many rows were completely empty.

Interesting. Our flight to Kauai three weeks from today still looks like it's pretty full, with only about 30 or so unassigned seats on a 190 seat or so A321neo. Also tried to see if I could get a cheaper car on Kauai and Budget is still showing sold out on Kauai for October 9. Took a glance at Orbitz cars and pretty much everyone is still showing pretty high rates for that date.

I was able to change my car reservation for the following week on Maui and saved $100 AND upgraded from a mid-size to a convertible.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Our flight to Kauai three weeks from today still looks like it's pretty full, with only about 30 or so unassigned seats on a 190 seat or so A321neo. Also tried to see if I could get a cheaper car on Kauai and Budget is still showing sold out on Kauai for October 9. Took a glance at Orbitz cars and pretty much everyone is still showing pretty high rates for that date.

Wow, that is curious indeed! I only had the rental for 1 of the 2 weeks, we lived without a car for the early days. For the last 4 days, my friend flew in from Nevada on a pretty empty flight, and, at the airport got a cheap car from Budget. Was not even reserved in advance. I actually rented a car just to get from airport to Waiohai and grocery shop, for 1 night from Thrifty at the airport. They allowed me to return at the adjacent Sheraton and it was cheap and no dropoff fee.

I wonder if people are cancelling closer to the date perhaps. I know I looked 3-4 weeks before the trip and cars were as you said, and, plane was mostly full. We had a bigger plane too! Everyone switched seats to empty rows.

On the island itself, didn't see many tourists. But the Waiohai was mostly full. The Kauai Lagoons was not mostly full. No crowd at all there, grills were mostly empty, etc.

We did the "presentation" at the Waiohai on site in person, and it was super easy 30k points. After talking to us for 10 minutes and explaining the upcoming changes (in theory of course), they said there's no way they could sell anything to us for the prices we have paid and told us to go on our way. Easy 30k points.

I expect you'll have a great time, will be interested in hearing how the plane is when you actually fly. You've been to the Waiohai? I liked it better than Lagoons, though Lagoons is closer to most things.