• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WALK-THROUGH - HAWAII'S NEW TRAVEL POLICY: My experience traveling to Hawaii

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Good plan and sounds like good timing. I have learned, as have you too, that getting the the airport ahead of the curve is worth every minute. Settle in, get ahead of all of the lines, and find some decent food to eat in the clubs, or even in the airport for the plane.

Amazingly on my two UA flights there was real hot food served! (Not great, but those days are gone.) But honestly, SFO has such great restaurants I am more than willing to spend another $15 to have a comfortable, restful time of it all if that is what it takes.

Hope it goes well and have fun! Sounds like many of you will be there on all the islands in September.
I will sheepishly admit that if it were up to me, I'd get there just as they announced boarding for group one. For some reason my wife thinks we should get there earlier and not be stressed.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am booked at Maui Ocean Club with family in 4 weeks or so.
I am a Canadian.
Doubly vaccinated

The numbers per capita of new covid cases in Hawaii are more than in any Canadian province or territory.
So it is worth coming-due to the covid situation.
Governor Ige is discouraging tourism travel to USA.

BUT The numbers are going down- over the last week.

If I go- can anyone give advice from a covid point of view as a Canadian or foreign traveler. As Far as I can gather, all posts on this thread related to Americans going from the mainland to USA.

My question relates to testing on arrival, getting the pcr test on departure (required for anyone including Canadians entering Canada) and also how do we upload our Canadian vaccination record to the appropriate app or web site to make sure we have entry access to all retail or service establishments requiring proof of vaccination.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I will sheepishly admit that if it were up to me, I'd get there just as they announced boarding for group one. For some reason my wife thinks we should get there earlier and not be stressed.

That is what we wives are for...:)

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Currently, If you are vaccinated and upload your vaccination certificate, you do not need a COVID test. There are no current plans to change that process.

On Oahu and Maui, currently (9/16/21), a vaccination record is needed to enter eating/dinkling establisnments that are operating at 50% capacity. This will liokely continut until the hospitialization levels for COVID are signifacantly reduced.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Currently, If you are vaccinated and upload your vaccination certificate, you do not need a COVID test. There are no current plans to change that process.

On Oahu and Maui, currently (9/16/21), a vaccination record is needed to enter eating/dinkling establisnments that are operating at 50% capacity. This will liokely continut until the hospitialization levels for COVID are signifacantly reduced.
Here is a tip to facilitate getting into Oahu restaurants. Take a picture with your phone of your Driver’s License and Vaccine card. I put my DL just above my vaccine record, and took a picture of them so that they fill the picture. I also did the same for my wife, both on my phone. So now, when we enter a restaurant, I just bring up the photo, show it to them, swipe to my wife’s, show it to them, and we’re good to go. Fast and easy.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
It would be helpful/nice if it would acknowledge that the vaccine card is received or something like that, and perhaps something describing what the process looks like on the website (what to expect to see so that if something is not right you have a heads up).

I understand that the primary source of delay in Hawaii right now is people using the vaccine exemption showing up with their vaccination cards, but no upload of the image to the website. So, they are uploading them as they stand there being checked, which takes some time.

So what ended up happening when you got to the airport? I have the same red x with "Screened: No"... but my vaccine card has been uploaded. My trip is coming up and like you, I am trying to avoid any hassles or extra time in lines.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
So what ended up happening when you got to the airport? I have the same red x with "Screened: No"... but my vaccine card has been uploaded. My trip is coming up and like you, I am trying to avoid any hassles or extra time in lines.
We pre-screened at LAX (Gate 41 or the Terminal 4 Admiral's club). I used the free CLEAR app to upload our vaccine records via a state-supplied QR Code directly from the California public health dept website. Then in the Safe Travels website I used CLEAR as my exemption and with my username and PW it grabbed the vaccine info. At the 24 hr mark I did the health questions and the QR code came up. I printed the QR code screen and handed that, along with our driver's licenses to the person at Gate 41. He reviewed, typed a bit on his computer, put our arm bands on and that was that. The "Screened" changed to Yes/green.

At HNL we just showed the armband at the "Y" and went down the "exempt" path straight to baggage. Without the armband we'd have gone the other path to the screening area where they presumably would have done the same thing that we had done at LAX.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Thanks! I am using a similar app. I was able to get a QR code for my digital vaccine record uploaded to Common Pass, which created a QR code. Unfortunatel, my hubby and daughter’s digital vaccine records aren’t coming up with our contact info, so we have that challenge. We’ll likely have to stand in line upon landing. As long as we’re not turned away, we’ll be okay.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Thanks! I am using a similar app. I was able to get a QR code for my digital vaccine record uploaded to Common Pass, which created a QR code. Unfortunatel, my hubby and daughter’s digital vaccine records aren’t coming up with our contact info, so we have that challenge. We’ll likely have to stand in line upon landing. As long as we’re not turned away, we’ll be okay.
You don’t HAVE to use CommonPass or Clear, you can do it the “old fashioned way” by uploading a JPG of your vaccine card directly to the Safe Travels website and linking it to your trip. That works fine. Just a few extra fields of information to fill in. But you can still get pre-clearance doing it that way.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
You don’t HAVE to use CommonPass or Clear, you can do it the “old fashioned way” by uploading a JPG of your vaccine card directly to the Safe Travels website and linking it to your trip. That works fine. Just a few extra fields of information to fill in. But you can still get pre-clearance doing it that way.

Good reminder; just take a photo and upload it so Safe Travels. I traveled early in 2021 and that was all we had, but it still works just fine.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Thought I’d update my experience. The day of my flight to Maui our clearance in Safe Travels was updated to exempt and we qualified for pre-clear. I guess it doesn’t process the uploaded docs for clearance until after the questionnaire has been completed. :)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just want to ask for clarification here:

We're flying to Honolulu next month from the US Mainland. We are both US citizens, and fully vaccinated. We have each created a Safe Travels account, uploaded images of our vaccine cards, entered the trip data, and whatever else it asked for. Everything says it was uploaded correctly, and I think we're all set.

So what happens now? There are so many different sites saying different things, I'm not sure what we need to do - if anything. Do we still need to get a Covid test before departure? Will what we've done be enough? How does this QR code come about? Do we just show up at the airport, or what?

Please help me sort this out. It's very confusing. Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Just want to ask for clarification here:

We're flying to Honolulu next month from the US Mainland. We are both US citizens, and fully vaccinated. We have each created a Safe Travels account, uploaded images of our vaccine cards, entered the trip data, and whatever else it asked for. Everything says it was uploaded correctly, and I think we're all set.

So what happens now? There are so many different sites saying different things, I'm not sure what we need to do - off anything. Do we still need to get a Covid test before departure? Will what we've done be enough? How does this QR code come about? Do we just show up at the airport, or what?

Please help me sort this out. It's very confusing. Thanks!

Dave

24 hours before your trip you have to do the health questionnaire. After that you should get sent your QR code. Then you can use that at your departure airport if they offer the service. They will give you a wrist band and when you get to Hawaii you can go straight to baggage. If your airline doesn’t have that checkin you will have to show the QR code when you get to Hawaii and then you can go to baggage.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Be sure to bookmark the Safe Travels site on your smart phone. And keep yourself logged in. I've had to fly to Honolulu twice in the last few months (on Alaska), and both times the pre-clear staff wanted to see the QR code online ( in your Trip event ). Before you get cleared there's a red 'X' next to your QR code. When you are cleared-approved then you want to see the X changed to a green checkmark.

You'll need to show the green check QR code at car rental and timeshare/hotel checkin.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
You'll need to show the green check QR code at car rental and timeshare/hotel checkin.

And as in most things in life YMMV. I didn't have to show anything at the car rental counter and we showed photos of our vaccine cards at hotel check-in.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, all. This helps considerably. I was at a Walgreens the other day, and the woman ahead of me in line was going on and on about how there wasn't enough time, and how was she going to get a Covid test prior to her plane flight, and such. The person behind the counter was trying to help her with options. It made it all sound like there were still all the requirements. Apparently, being vaccinated makes life a lot simpler.

We're flying on Southwest. I'll try and find out if they have the pre-clearance service available at the Las Vegas airport. The wristband thing seems like it'd be a lot easier.

Edited to add: Southwest does offer the Pre-Clear program. Their website says presenting the approved QR code to a departure gate agent will get us the wristband @slip mentioned, so we can skip the line and go right to baggage claim on arrival. And that is the key. We're arriving very late at night, and I don't want any unnecessary delays.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Thanks, all. This helps considerably. I was at a Walgreens the other day, and the woman ahead of me in line was going on and on about how there wasn't enough time, and how was she going to get a Covid test prior to her plane flight, and such. The person behind the counter was trying to help her with options. It made it all sound like there were still all the requirements. Apparently, being vaccinated makes life a lot simpler.

We're flying on Southwest. I'll try and find out if they have the pre-clearance service available at the Las Vegas airport. The wristband thing seems like it'd be a lot easier.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave… it is a bit disconcerting that the QR doesn’t show up until you do the health questions, but that’s how it works. I always do it pretty much the full 24 hrs ahead just so there is time to fix any problems. And I also print the TRIP screen after the QR code is there because I find it easier than dealing with cell phones when we get our wristbands. But you still need the phone at car/hotel checkin (normally) because they are not looking at the QR code, they are looking to see that you are screened and exempt — both of which will be green and say YES after you get your wristbands (or are cleared at the airport).

Though not that tough to do, I tried to explain the process to three friends and it’s a bit harder to explain than to do.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave… it is a bit disconcerting that the QR doesn’t show up until you do the health questions, but that’s how it works. I always do it pretty much the full 24 hrs ahead just so there is time to fix any problems. And I also print the TRIP screen after the QR code is there because I find it easier than dealing with cell phones when we get our wristbands. But you still need the phone at car/hotel checkin (normally) because they are not looking at the QR code, they are looking to see that you are screened and exempt — both of which will be green and say YES after you get your wristbands (or are cleared at the airport).

Though not that tough to do, I tried to explain the process to three friends and it’s a bit harder to explain than to do.

Yes, thanks. I agree, it isn't hard, but for someone who is unfamiliar with the process, there are details and steps to follow. The frustration I was having was the confusing "Do this. Or wait - do that" instructions everywhere. And the "If you're this, do it this way, but if you're also that, do it that way, instead" stuff. Very confusing. And the more they try to simplify it, the more confusing it is.

I've been vaccinated as far as one can do so, (three shots so far) and I just want to drink a MaiTai and stick my toes in the Hawaii sand, ya know? LOL! :D

Dave

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just take a screenshot of the screen with the screened and exempt information. This is available soon after you are screened at the airport or upon arrival. That way you don't have to rely on an internet connection to bring up the screen on the Sae Travels site. In Maui, I mostly just showed a picture of my vaccination card, but hotels and car rental agencies may still want to see that you've been screened and are exempt from quarantining.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just take a screenshot of the screen with the screened and exempt information. This is available soon after you are screened at the airport or upon arrival. That way you don't have to rely on an internet connection to bring up the screen on the Sae Travels site. In Maui, I mostly just showed a picture of my vaccination card, but hotels and car rental agencies may still want to see that you've been screened and are exempt from quarantining.

I expect I'll have pictures and printed copies of everything. :D

Dave

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Yes, thanks. I agree, it isn't hard, but for someone who is unfamiliar with the process, there are details and steps to follow. The frustration I was having was the confusing "Do this. Or wait - do that" instructions everywhere. And the "If you're this, do it this way, but if you're also that, do it that way, instead" stuff. Very confusing. And the more they try to simplify it, the more confusing it is.

I think it was written by the same team who writes furniture assembly instructions.

STEP 1: Insert Part A into Part B.

STEP 2: Insert the assembled Parts A and B into Part C.

STEP 3: Before inserting the assembled Parts A and B into Part C be sure that . . .

oops

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We had printed copies of our QR codes too. But Alaska personnel didn't want to use them. They wanted to scan code from website, mainly I think to verify that when they updated our status on their tablets, it also updated the Safe Travels trip screening status.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
But you still need the phone at car/hotel checkin (normally) because they are not looking at the QR code, they are looking to see that you are screened and exempt — both of which will be green and say YES after you get your wristbands (or are cleared at the airport).
Based on our travel in August, that is the key. What isn't clear until you go through the process, is that the QR Code is not the get-of-quarantine free card. What gets you into the island and out of quarantine is the Screened and Exempt status on your account at SafeTravels. The QR code + the completed questionnaire is the key to obtaining Screened and Exempt status at SafeTravels.

That was the mistake I made at the car rental counter. I thought they wanted to see my QR code, so I had that ready on my phone. Then I learned they didn't care about that at all. What they wanted to see was the Screened and Exempt status on my SafeTravels account. Since I hadn't bothered to set that up on my phone (I did all of that stuff on my computer before we left), I had to step back from the line and get my SafeTravels information into the browser on my phone, then get back in the car rental line.

Since you can't get the wristband without obtaining Screened and Exempt status, sometimes a vendor or resort will accept the wristband. But not all. Budget at Lihue ignored my wristband and wanted to see my SafeTravels account. The resort, though, was fine with the wristband.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Ha. That’s so obvious and simple… and I never thought of it.