• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel when resorts close due to wildfire/hurricane evacuation order

timesharer

Reaction score
Do exchange companies (II, RCI, Trading Places Intl, 7Across/Daelive...etc.) typically refund the exchange fee and return the deposited week when resorts close due to mandatory wildfire/hurricane
evacuation orders? Or do they still go by their standard Cancellation Policy?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It depends. Realize that they also sell travel insurance. Most likely the standard policy applies. If you didn't take out the travel insurance, you are out of luck. This is exactly what travel insurance is for. Many people like to not purchase it and hope for a refund from the company when they can't travel (best of both worlds). This mindset needs to change.

timesharer

Reaction score
It depends. Realize that they also sell travel insurance. Most likely the standard policy applies. If you didn't take out the travel insurance, you are out of luck. This is exactly what travel insurance is for. Many people like to not purchase it and hope for a refund from the company when they can't travel (best of both worlds). This mindset needs to change.

Thank you for your reply. I understand if I cancel when the resort is still open and I choose to cancel, I should pay the penalty.
But the resort has the fire insurance, and is ordered to close, why is the burden on the guests?

Is this about greed? If the exchange fee has not already been priced to accommodate the exchange members for the unpredictable risk, it should cause <$50 for an exchange after the software/program has been developed and maintained.

With most hotels, we could cancel without penalty before 24 hours.

What can we do to change the mindset of the timeshare resorts and exchange companies?

Last edited:

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
There's 2 parts to this. The direct costs (exchange fee, airfare, etc.) And the indirect costs (points/tpu). Travel insurance should cover the direct costs, depending on how the policy is written. For my exchanges on RCI I usually purchase points protection to be sure I get my points back.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Thank you for your reply. I understand if I cancel when the resort is still open and I choose to cancel, I should pay the penalty.
But the resort has the fire insurance, and is ordered to close, why is the burden on the guests?

Is this about greed? If the exchange fee has not already been priced to accommodate the exchange members for the unpredictable risk, it should cause <$50 for an exchange after the software/program has been developed and maintained.

With most hotels, we could cancel without penalty before 24 hours.

What can we do to change the mindset of the timeshare resorts and exchange companies?

If the loss is a fault of the resort or the company through which the week was acquired, there is liability. If it’s an act of God, there’s no liability. This is why they offer travel insurance. Without travel insurance, the traveler assumes the risk.

You won’t change their minds. They can not reimburse you for every unforeseen loss. If you want protection, buy the insurance just as you would for car, home or health. You either transfer the risk to an insurance company for a price or assume the risk yourself.

Timeshares are not the same as hotels and car rentals.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
You either transfer the risk to an insurance company for a price or assume the risk yourself.
This. Why should it be someone else's responsibility when the event was completely outside their control? That's exactly what insurance is for.

Or, just do what I do, and take the infrequent loss. It seems to work out to be less expensive than insuring every trip. The only time I buy trip insurance is for large package bookings like a cruise or something similar, with cancellation costs in the thousands.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
This. Why should it be someone else's responsibility when the event was completely outside their control? That's exactly what insurance is for.

Or, just do what I do, and take the infrequent loss. It seems to work out to be less expensive than insuring every trip. The only time I buy trip insurance is for large package bookings like a cruise or something similar, with cancellation costs in the thousands.

We do like you most of the time and just absorb the occasional loss, unless I’m booking hurricane prone areas in hurricane season.

We’ve owned timeshare since 1998 and, since 2000, have taken approx 4 timeshare vacations per year. Except for a couple of times with what I considered higher risk hurricane potential, we’ve accepted the risk. After all these years we’ve lost ONE week that might have been covered by insurance. In that respect I’m still ahead financially.

I used to only worry about weather cancellations like hurricanes. Lately I’ve kept the high fire potential in mind. Eventually we’ll probably get burned with summer resort week we own in Breckenridge, CO. (pun intended), but it’s a risk we assume.

TravelAmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another situation where I do not understand the American fascination with insurance companies. I'll not stand on my soap box for long.

More and more I hear family, friends, and associates who have paid for insurance coverage - only to have to pay out of pocket when something unforeseen happens - especially, when it comes to travel, health, fire. Think of how many TUG members have stated their advise to their renters is to purchase travel insurance when we know it is the rare occasion when someone reports coverage or reimbursement when needed. There always seems to be a loophole or it fits into the "etc." in the small print.

I rented from an owner just the other day - long paragraphs in the rental agreement about COVID and strongly recommend purchasing travel insurance. Let's just be forthright - if COVID restrictions, illness, closures, etc. are re-instituted, you are out of the money you've invested. If you are traveling to an area where wildfires are possible - which by the way wildfires no longer have a "season" - if you purchase insurance, chances are good money is being thrown away twice: the rental/timeshare ownership and the insurance.
I think it is better to be truthful in advertising: this is what you risk should any of the following happen....include a list. OR, just be truthful - to the point of not needing double-talk and small print - listing what WILL be covered. It's no better in healthcare...people are loosing their life's savings, homes, livelihood, etc. fully insured, but when they get sick, then limits and all sort of loopholes are found.
Other than the insurance industry - where else would Americans tolerate this type of behavior and still remain a customer?
Ok - I will get down.

timesharer

Reaction score
If the loss is a fault of the resort or the company through which the week was acquired, there is liability. If it’s an act of God, there’s no liability. This is why they offer travel insurance. Without travel insurance, the traveler assumes the risk.

You won’t change their minds. They can not reimburse you for every unforeseen loss. If you want protection, buy the insurance just as you would for car, home or health. You either transfer the risk to an insurance company for a price or assume the risk yourself.

Timeshares are not the same as hotels and car rentals.

Are we being brainwashed? If it’s an act of God, why is the burden on us? Should it be fair 50% on the "company" and 50% on us, even though the "company" has priced in all of the risks?
Perhaps the "company" thinks its members would not care about fairness in its charges. Perhaps the "company" has better lawyers and creates its "terms and conditions" that is difficult to understand. I wish some lawyers who own timeshare can look into this matter for us in future.

"Timeshares are not the same as hotels and car rentals." Is it because of the mismanagement or greater greed of the exchange companies and they think we have no voice?
No wonder our ownership is worthless while real estate booms and doubles.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The specific terms and conditions that you agree to as a member of the exchange companies absolves them from act of god situations. That being said exchange companies will often (but not always) make exceptions. So they may have you pay the $89-$129 points protection fee even last minute and give you the points back (the week) and maybe even a portion of the exchange fee as a coupon for future use. Or they might give you a slightly better than normal bonus type week that still requires another exchange fee (effectively giving you a slightly reduced week back to use).

It never hurts to ask and to ask a supervisor if the agent says nothing can be done.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Are we being brainwashed? If it’s an act of God, why is the burden on us? Should it be fair 50% on the "company" and 50% on us, even though the "company" has priced in all of the risks?
Perhaps the "company" thinks its members would not care about fairness in its charges. Perhaps the "company" has better lawyers and creates its "terms and conditions" that is difficult to understand. I wish some lawyers who own timeshare can look into this matter for us in future.

"Timeshares are not the same as hotels and car rentals." Is it because of the mismanagement or greater greed of the exchange companies and they think we have no voice?
No wonder our ownership is worthless while real estate booms and doubles.

For, the same reasons you have car insurance, home owners insurance, health insurance and life insurance. To protect us from the unforeseen and unexpected incidents.

It’s not always someone else’s fault just like it’s not always someone else’s responsibility when something goes wrong. Sometimes we have to take responsibility and protect ourselves from the unexpected. It’s called INSURANCE. You either accept the risk or pay someone else to accept the risk for you. There’s no brainwashing involved.

I suppose if you had rented your week and your renter demanded their fees back, you’d gladly hand them over and take the loss yourself?What if you had rented 20 weeks? Would you refund all those rental fees? Businesses aren’t charity. YOU have to assume some risk.

In the end, you can ask for and you might receive a replacement week. It certainly doesn’t hurt to ask. As a matter of goodwill, you might get something. But understand they’re under no obligation to give you anything, especially when they offer and even suggest you PROTECT your vacation by purchasing trip insurance.

Last edited:

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
For $35 with our HICV system we can protect our points used for a reservation , and cancel vacation 48 hours from check in getting 100% points back less reservation fee.

I never make a reservation without it, plans , situations change. When it does it amazes me how people think they should get compensated back by the resort, and how non understanding they are for the situation they are in.

I have zero sympathy for them, and the company owes them nothing for being cheap.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is because we "own" a timeshare. Think of it like a second home. If there was no company involved, in reality a company that doesn't own anything, a company that just manages the property. What liability should such a company have in such a situation? You own the place. If it were your second home, you would be out of luck not being able to go. We aren't renting hotels, we are using something we own. The "company" is just a management company. They don't own the timeshare, they just manage it for us. The unit is actually part of a condominium association of other owners. If you can cancel and use your week another time, someone else has to cancel their trip to accomodate you.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Post #64 in the Calder Fire Status? [Timber Lodge and Grand Residence Club, Lake Tahoe evacuated/closed.] thread on the Marriott forum is from someone who's been given a replacement week by II after having a Timber Lodge exchange cancelled due to the resort closure. In the past II has been known to do the same for hurricane-impacted exchanges/Getaways, and during at least the early months of COVID-19. I don't use II so am not familiar with all the different rules but I agree with others who say, it doesn't hurt to ask.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Post #64 in the Calder Fire Status? [Timber Lodge and Grand Residence Club, Lake Tahoe evacuated/closed.] thread on the Marriott forum is from someone who's been given a replacement week by II after having a Timber Lodge exchange cancelled due to the resort closure. In the past II has been known to do the same for hurricane-impacted exchanges/Getaways, and during at least the early months of COVID-19. I don't use II so am not familiar with all the different rules but I agree with others who say, it doesn't hurt to ask.

and when they do this, it’s a nice bit of positive customer relations, but it’s not required.

If I’m not mistaken, along with every other opportunity for II to upsell on an exchange, the opportunity to purchase trip insurance is offered.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
and when they do this, it’s a nice bit of positive customer relations, but it’s not required.

If I’m not mistaken, along with every other opportunity for II to upsell on an exchange, the opportunity to purchase trip insurance is offered.

I agree. There's no guarantee, and no way to fight for it if they don't reimburse you in some way, but it's worth a try.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I agree. There's no guarantee, and no way to fight for it if they don't reimburse you in some way, but it's worth a try.

It’s always worth asking, the worst they can say is no

timesharer

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies -

It started as a general question - When the resort closed due to evacuation order? Then this thread evolved into the insurance discussion.

20 years ago, when I complained to RCI that was a private company, the CEO even asked his secretary to deal with my trade problem/issue.
His secretary provided very good customer service, and resolve the issue. She was also so kind to tell me never buying a timeshare week to exchange. She said you only bought the timeshare week where you wanted to go every year (without exchange often). Unfortunately, it was difficult to get rid of my weeks.

Before Dial an exchange and Trading places Intl were bought by RCI and II, they were more service oriented too (instead of greed/selling insurance).

Last edited:

timesharer

Reaction score
I do not understand paying insurance just for getting the exchange fee back (when not flying). Read the fine print!

We buy auto and home insurance for catastrophic event (> ten thousand/million of dollars), Why buying exchange insurance just to cover hundred of dollars? Some members commented not buying the exchange insurance is being cheap.
My view is about being a smart consumer.

Be educated about Pricing Strategies. This is not about being cheap. This is about consumer right, and not be fooled.
Some greedy companies definitely take advantage about people not knowing about risk assessment.
Again, they have already priced in their risk in the exchange fee. Otherwise, the exchange fee would cause <$50.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I do not understand paying insurance just for getting the exchange fee back. Read the fine print!
Does the exchange fee not cover the MF of the underlying week?

timesharer

Reaction score
Does the exchange fee not cover the MF of the underlying week?

Would you please tell me which insurance plan we would get the maintenance fee back without doctor's document proving we are ill enough not to be able to travel? Is the fire smoke (causing allergy or difficulty breathing) enough to get the MF back?

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Would you please tell me which insurance plan we would get the maintenance fee back without doctor's document proving we are ill enough not to be able to travel? Is the fire smoke (causing allergy or difficulty breathing) enough to get the MF back?

Yes, reading the fine print is important, which is a large part of why I’ve always just assumed the risk and realize I WILL get bit in the end. I’ve never cared for the price to benefit ratio of the exchange companies insurance.

However, while it didn’t return your MF’s, I believe it use to provide you with a replacement week or return your exchange week to your inventory. My concern, without looking more closely, was that the week I had used for exchange was likely going to be close to expiring about the time of the exchange, which could make it difficult if all they did was put the original exchanged week back on the books.

Marriott offers their own insurance. I believe the former Diamond Resorts did as well. We also own Hilton, but I haven’t even considered looking because we’ve nearly always used that ownership for. Eggs and the risk is so low paying for insurance would cost more than taking a loss IF. A loss ever occurs. With the resort or resort groups insurance you don’t get your fee back but they do replace points/weeks.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a plan that pays you back your fees. They’ve only replaced the week or exchange.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Thank you for your replies -

It started as a general question - When the resort closed due to evacuation order? Then this thread evolved into the insurance discussion.

20 years ago, when I complained to RCI that was a private company, the CEO even asked his secretary to deal with my trade problem/issue.
His secretary provided very good customer service, and resolve the issue. She was also so kind to tell me never buying a timeshare week to exchange. She said you only bought the timeshare week where you wanted to go every year (without exchange often). Unfortunately, it was difficult to get rid of my weeks.

Before Dial an exchange and Trading places Intl were bought by RCI and II, they were more service oriented too (instead of greed/selling insurance).

It became an insurance discussion because that’s what it really is about, you take the risk or you surrogate the risk to an insurance policy (lose it or pay to have your loss replaced). Same with car, homeowners or health. You either buy insurance or assume the risk of loss yourself (self insure).

As you’ve pointed out, timeshare exchange insurance is a bit trickier with what it will pay vs what it won’t pay. It’s one reason I’ve rarely taken the insurance when making an exchange. To date I think I’ve lost an exchange all of twice. One of those times was secondary to CoVid. I’m pretty sure there was another loss but it’s been so long ago I’ve forgotten about it. Because we make 4 to 6 timeshare trips per year, I’m still way ahead on dollars lost through cancellation vs dollars saved by not paying the premiums for trip insurance.

In the end, it’s not the exchange companies problem nor should it be. The risk falls to the co Sumer on this one. Anything the exchange company does to make you happy is strictly voluntary.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Looking at the general statement, it looks like your week would have been replaced under intervals trip protection. I assume RCI’s trip cancellation is similar.

Attachments

• 0D1C5B95-1E05-4209-A9CA-5D08604EDF8A.jpeg
    0D1C5B95-1E05-4209-A9CA-5D08604EDF8A.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 8E2CF68C-98DB-46AA-858B-6B6174138279.png
    8E2CF68C-98DB-46AA-858B-6B6174138279.png
    309.8 KB · Views: 14

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Looking at the general statement, it looks like your week would have been replaced under intervals trip protection. I assume RCI’s trip cancellation is similar.
Perhaps I am missing it, but the overview indicates that the insurance would reimburse non-refundable trip payments. I don't see where it says the week would be replaced (meaning a replacement deposit or certificate). The insurance is provided by a third party (Allianz). They don't really have any ability to provide a replacement week, only to pay out up to the policy limits and actual costs incurred. One could argue here that maintenance fees are a non-refundable trip payment.
1631279297483.png