• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My survey -and just bought

TheKman

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Mexico or Caribbean

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

either is fine

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Mexico, Caribbean, Europe

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

4 for now

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

for the next 8 years, school schedule mostly

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

no less than 3

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

yes

We just bought at Arco in Cabo. Villas Group. Have one more day to rescind. 1000 points. $14300. $3500 down. $455 maintenance yearly.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Rescind unless you love it

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Mexico or Caribbean

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

either is fine

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Mexico, Caribbean, Europe

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

4 for now

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

for the next 8 years, school schedule mostly

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

no less than 3

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

yes

We just bought at Arco in Cabo. Villas Group. Have one more day to rescind. 1000 points. $14300. $3500 down. $455 maintenance yearly.
Rescind that purchase and buy a vistana mandatory property. Picking up a WKV can get you in the Bahamas, Mexico, or Westin St John. You may have to be diligent and flexible to book at 8 months. But, you can get great usage out of that ownership. You can also exchange in interval for Marriott Aruba options. Vistana is great for Mexico and Caribbean options.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind. And buy a resale US based TS. You can always exchange or rent into Mexico. Not the other way around.
Get that done TODAY! then we'll talk. Tomorrow is Sunday and you can't get it done.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
As others have said, I too recommend to rescind. What you just purchased has no resale value. Find a good resale that will accomplish what you want for fraction of the cost.

Also, not sure what you get for $455 annual MF but it might be a small studio. Does that accommodate your need for four? I think your $1,000/year you mention in your survey might even be optimistic.

My suggestion is to not jump in right now. You may not even know what it is you really want or need at this time. Use some of your $14,300 in savings and join TUG for $15. Ask lots of questions and check out the last minute rental forum and rent a few locations/resorts/systems to test the waters before making a commitment. YMMV but I joined TUG a good year and a half before finally purchasing a resale. By that time, I knew exactly what I wanted.

TheKman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind. And buy a resale US based TS. You can always exchange or rent into Mexico. Not the other way around.
Get that done TODAY! then we'll talk. Tomorrow is Sunday and you can't get it done.
We purchased Tuesday. So, as far as I can tell we have 5 business days, so Monday or Tuesday is our day. Correct?

We really do like it and feel we'd use it, but not sure if there are better uses for 14k for equivalent results.

TheKman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind that purchase and buy a vistana mandatory property. Picking up a WKV can get you in the Bahamas, Mexico, or Westin St John. You may have to be diligent and flexible to book at 8 months. But, you can get great usage out of that ownership. You can also exchange in interval for Marriott Aruba options. Vistana is great for Mexico and Caribbean options.
Since I don't know what vistana or WKV is, I guess I have a lot of research to do. ;)

My wife doesn't want to have to be so "diligent" anymore. I often spend a lot of time organizing vacations. She wants less "stress". We don't have too much flexibility for the next 8 years or so. We WILL use our vacations, but after 10 years of doing timeshare presentations for "deals" we are getting tired of it. Yes, it took us long enough. Not sure why we bought this time, other that it was probably a nicer place and better offer than we've seen before.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Since I don't know what vistana or WKV is, I guess I have a lot of research to do. ;)

My wife doesn't want to have to be so "diligent" anymore. I often spend a lot of time organizing vacations. She wants less "stress". We don't have too much flexibility for the next 8 years or so. We WILL use our vacations, but after 10 years of doing timeshare presentations for "deals" we are getting tired of it. Yes, it took us long enough. Not sure why we bought this time, other that it was probably a nicer place and better offer than we've seen before.
If you don’t want to be diligent and flexible I’d just rent and not own. Almost all ownerships will require work. Especially points based ownerships. Most people book 12 months in advance to get what they want. The only time it works without “work” is owning a deeded week in a location/resort you want to visit every year with the occasional exchange. No shame in not owning and just renting from owners. You may pay a bit more than maint fees in many cases, but it will even out when you score last minute rentals that are below maint fees.

TheKman

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have said, I too recommend to rescind. What you just purchased has no resale value. Find a good resale that will accomplish what you want for fraction of the cost.

Correct. No resale value. If we don't plan to resell, does it matter though? A fraction of the cost for an equivalent is a good plan though

Also, not sure what you get for $455 annual MF but it might be a small studio. Does that accommodate your need for four? I think your $1,000/year you mention in your survey might even be optimistic.

$455 gets us 7 nights in Studio or 5 nights in 1 bdr, 4 in 2bdr. etc. May- Oct. 1 night less in each Nov-April.

I looked at is as $14,300+50 years x$455+50 years of Interval at $99, so about $37,000 or so, to get 5 days at a nice resort each year. If we paid $200/night (cheap) that would be $50,000. So I didn't think it was terrible.

If the maintenance fee doubled to $1000, then that would add $500/yr (at 50yrs) so another $25,000K. The cost of the system would have to drop significantly from $14k for it to make sense. Wouldn't it? I'm sure I have some learning to do, but those are the numbers I'm looking at.

My suggestion is to not jump in right now. You may not even know what it is you really want or need at this time. Use some of your $14,300 in savings and join TUG for $15.
I did. :)

Ask lots of questions and check out the last minute rental forum and rent a few locations/resorts/system+
s to test the waters before making a commitment. YMMV but I joined TUG a good year and a half before finally purchasing a resale. By that time, I knew exactly what I wanted.

Thank you. That sounds like good advice.

How many people, rescind and later wish that they hadn't rescinded?
:ponder:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Vistana is the Westin and Sheraton resorts. WKV Is Westin Kierland Villas

TheKman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don’t want to be diligent and flexible I’d just rent and not own. Almost all ownerships will require work. Especially points based ownerships. Most people book 12 months in advance to get what they want. The only time it works without “work” is owning a deeded week in a location/resort you want to visit every year with the occasional exchange. No shame in not owning and just renting from owners. You may pay a bit more than maint fees in many cases, but it will even out when you score last minute rentals that are below maint fees.
I'm not saying I don't want to be diligent and flexible. I just said my wife wants LESS of that. Just a wish list. We follow a school calendar for now and don't have a ton of flexibility for the near future. During presentations they make it seem that you can just call your account rep and let her do all the work and she'll figure it all out for you. I'm sure that's probably not the way it really works.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We purchased Tuesday. So, as far as I can tell we have 5 business days, so Monday or Tuesday is our day. Correct?

We really do like it and feel we'd use it, but not sure if there are better uses for 14k for equivalent results.

In Mexico 5 Business days. Saturday counts as a Business Day.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I do not know of any "Account Representative" that will follow through and do all the leg work. Great promise during sales pitch but will probably go away after the 5 days to rescind. RESCIND.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I'm not saying I don't want to be diligent and flexible. I just said my wife wants LESS of that. Just a wish list. We follow a school calendar for now and don't have a ton of flexibility for the near future. During presentations they make it seem that you can just call your account rep and let her do all the work and she'll figure it all out for you. I'm sure that's probably not the way it really works.
Rescind, nothing is that easy. Your account rep will say “sorry nothing is a available, next time book a year in advance” rescind and save the money now, this is your only chance to do it. You’ll regret it if you don’t. That is a certainty. Rent for now and always look to buy resale. Nothing from the developer is ever worth it. If someone says otherwise, they must be a sales rep.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
So would we have until Monday then?

Are you still in Mexico? Hopefully the place you are staying will let you use a computer/printer. We rescinded on a Grand Mayan purchase while still in Cabo. I typed in up with some help from a Mexican timeshare person. We had our signatures Notarized. Made several copies. I had delivered the Original to Grand Mayan. Patti did not go with me and I left all credit cards back with Patti.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

I doubt there is anyone who rescinded who later regretted that decision. The “deal” will always be there if after research you decide that you want to pay their asking price. However, your chance for rescission in Mexico is only five days.

I don’t know anything about Villa Del Arco, maybe someone here on TUG owns it and can share their experience. Now that you signed up as a TUG member you Will have access to the timeshare reviews. Personally, I would be hesitant to purchase a Mexican timeshare, even resell, as I am concerned about making a commitment to travel there year after year. If you don’t use it, there may no good options (Mexican timeshares typically do not get good trading power).

At the end of the day it is your money to spend. If you have that kind of money to spend knowing that if you changed your mind the day after your rescission expired that you would have a hard time giving it away for free then that is your decision. I don’t think anyone here would say it is a good deal though.

Now that you are a TUG member you will find yourself doing lots of research of prior threads. The search function is your friend!

A quick search shows that @rboesl once owned Arco. Maybe they can share their thoughts.

TheKman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you still in Mexico? Hopefully the place you are staying will let you use a computer/printer. We rescinded on a Grand Mayan purchase while still in Cabo. I typed in up with some help from a Mexican timeshare person. We had our signatures Notarized. Made several copies. I had delivered the Original to Grand Mayan. Patti did not go with me and I left all credit cards back with Patti.
We are home. We signed on a Tuesday. I will have to email it.

TheKman

TUG Member
Reaction score
make sure you follow the rescind instructions exactly
The rescind instructions say in person (we are home), by mail (it is Saturday evening) or by email to email address of intermediary (of which I find none)

We purchased on Tuesday. I am assuming we have until Monday. At this point I will write an email with our signatures to cancel and send it tonight and also mail it on Monday. I do have the sales reps email and I am sure I can find an "info" at Villa Group email.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
you need to send it 'certified" so that you get a timestamped receipt as that is the date that matters.
I don't know the email for the Villa group.

If you post in the Mexico forum, you may get more specific info

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rescind instructions say in person (we are home), by mail (it is Saturday evening) or by email to email address of intermediary (of which I find none)

We purchased on Tuesday. I am assuming we have until Monday. At this point I will write an email with our signatures to cancel and send it tonight and also mail it on Monday. I do have the sales reps email and I am sure I can find an "info" at Villa Group email.
did you get your email and letter mailed out?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

We hope you've gotten the letter in the mail- and an email sent. BTW, to send USPS to Mexico and have tracking, it has to be sent Registered. Certified won't do it.

From your first post, it doesn't look like you'll be too upset (yet) either way.

Best Wishes!

Jim

TheKman

TUG Member
Reaction score
did you get your email and letter mailed out?
I did. I sent an email on Saturday. I received emails from three people over the last two days and a phone call today, of which I did not answer. I sent a registered letter today. Then I received a "cancellation" agreement to sign, via email today, which said everything was cancelled and I would receive my deposit back AND that I agreed to remove any negative comments about Villa Group and refrain from any negative internet activity about them in the future. THAT, pissed me off. Before now, I hadn't had a "negative" experience. In addition, they asked me to assure them that I would not dispute the deposit charge on my CC since it was being returned within 14 days.
I did not sign it and told them that I expected a smooth transition.