• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Make your dinner reservations now!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We also love Coconuts on both Kauai and Maui. We Kai talked about going there today for when we go to Maui in a couple weeks.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Aloha Mixed Plate has a great view and reasonably priced. As a plus, if you go in the evening you can enjoy the music from the Old Lahaina Luau next door.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We also love Coconuts on both Kauai and Maui. We Kai talked about going there today for when we go to Maui in a couple weeks.
Our older daughter told us there is now a Coconuts in California near where she lives.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Our older daughter told us there is now a Coconuts in California near where she lives.

Yes, I had heard that. I’m not surprised the food has always been excellent.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha Mixed Plate has a great view and reasonably priced. As a plus, if you go in the evening you can enjoy the music from the Old Lahaina Luau next door.

I don't know if Aloha Mixed Plate closed or moved, but the location next to the Old Lāhaina Luau is now Star Noodle. I prefer Star Noodle food.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I don't know if Aloha Mixed Plate closed or moved, but the location next to the Old Lāhaina Luau is now Star Noodle. I prefer Star Noodle food.

Sadly Aloha Mixed Plate closed due to the pandemic, they had the same ownership as Star Noodle. They decided it made more sense to give the larger space to Star Noodle. We always enjoyed Mixed Plate, but understand the need to make adjustments to the business model.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
dh loves to eat out when on vacation and can eat 3 meals out. I can't eat that much food and I travel a lot for work so it doesn't hold the same appeal to me.

When DD & I travel to Hawaii we generally eat breakfast in, eat lunch out and then have a light dinner in the room....Costco has had some great large salads the last few times that make several meals for us. Great a loaf of good bread and we are good.

Often the lunch menus have smaller portions and smaller prices....it doesn't sound like that is the case with mama's. Also, like to catch the happy hour specials ...Lava Lava & Merrimans are 2 that come to mind.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we look to conserve money in Hawaii we will often make a big brunch in our timeshare, go for a late lunch happy hour, and make a light late dinner back in our timeshare. Our favourite happy hour on Maui is at the Monkeypod. If you're looking for a reasonable dinner Star Noodle is pretty great IMO.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
When we look to conserve money in Hawaii we will often make a big brunch in our timeshare, go for a late lunch happy hour, and make a light late dinner back in our timeshare. Our favourite happy hour on Maui is at the Monkeypod. If you're looking for a reasonable dinner Star Noodle is pretty great IMO.
Even Gannon's, which is pricey for dinner, has a very reasonable Happy Hour. Only problem is you can't reserve and it can get busy.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I'm not sure how I did it, but I'm on a waitlist for Mama's Fish House. Yesterday I got notified that a reservation became available. I was away from my cellphone and by the time I looked, someone else got the reservation. Today I got another notification from OpenTable and as soon as I heard it I grabbed my cellphone, but again it was already taken. It made me think of the hedge funds that pay big bucks to get there servers in very close proximity to the stock exchange, so they can save microseconds. Maybe once we get to Hawaii I'll be able catch them earlier and get it before someone else snatches it.

For those that say Mama's is overpriced, I'd say it's not just about the food. I don't even remember how the food was last time we were there (although I do remember the dessert). What we remember was the ambiance, and we're always willing to pay extra for that. The majority of our favorite restaurants have a great view of the ocean.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm not sure how I did it, but I'm on a waitlist for Mama's Fish House. Yesterday I got notified that a reservation became available. I was away from my cellphone and by the time I looked, someone else got the reservation. Today I got another notification from OpenTable and as soon as I heard it I grabbed my cellphone, but again it was already taken. It made me think of the hedge funds that pay big bucks to get there servers in very close proximity to the stock exchange, so they can save microseconds. Maybe once we get to Hawaii I'll be able catch them earlier and get it before someone else snatches it.

For those that say Mama's is overpriced, I'd say it's not just about the food. I don't even remember how the food was last time we were there (although I do remember the dessert). What we remember was the ambiance, and we're always willing to pay extra for that. The majority of our favorite restaurants have a great view of the ocean.
I agree Mama's is not just about the food. If you get a great table, and great service it can be worth it. As I've said in past posts we've gone quite a few times over the years. So now we're content with remembering those good times and going to places that are closer, and less expensive. :D

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I checked on-line for Lahaina Grill (OpenTable) and couldn't find any open timeslots for the week that we'll be there. So, I called and "voila !" they had open timeslots (that didn't show for me) and they booked it for me.

So, my advice is that if you can't see any open timeslots to call the restaurant directly.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Recently Gov. Ige said that restaurant occupancy would drop from 75% to 50%. I have a bunch of OpenTable reservations about 45 days out and am wondering if any of them will be cancelled.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Recently Gov. Ige said that restaurant occupancy would drop from 75% to 50%. I have a bunch of OpenTable reservations about 45 days out and am wondering if any of them will be cancelled.
I think I read somewhere that a lot of restaurants never were able to go to 75% because the rules still required at least 6 feet between tables, and that was the most limiting restriction, not the capacity limit. If that is true, the impact might be less than the % change alone might indicate.

I am in the same boat as you with five nights of reservations already made for Kauai in October and four reservations made for the second week in Maui also. Just waiting on some that only book 30 days out to grab three more on Maui.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve been able to snag some cancellations including last night at Duke’s Kauai obtained in the same day. If you are willing to check OpenTable periodically, that can be a way to backfill.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think I read somewhere that a lot of restaurants never were able to go to 75% because the rules still required at least 6 feet between tables, and that was the most limiting restriction, not the capacity limit. If that is true, the impact might be less than the % change alone might indicate.

I am in the same boat as you with five nights of reservations already made for Kauai in October and four reservations made for the second week in Maui also. Just waiting on some that only book 30 days out to grab three more on Maui.
@JIMinNC , you may want to call the restaurants on the phone. In a number of cases, I saw on OpenTable that in some cases the calendar only went out 30 or 40 days. I found that when I called on the telephone, that they were able to book me beyond that time window.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
@JIMinNC , you may want to call the restaurants on the phone. In a number of cases, I saw on OpenTable that in some cases the calendar only went out 30 or 40 days. I found that when I called on the telephone, that they were able to book me beyond that time window.
Good idea. I think at least one of the places we are waiting on has the same reservation window for phone and online, but maybe not all of them. I’ll look into it. Thanks.