• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amtrak Senior Discount

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Maybe someone can explain this to me. I'm going to book a one way ticket for my husband and myself from Providence, RI to New York City. When I look up the fares it's cheaper for two adults, than for two seniors. Supposedly seniors are supposed to get a 10 to 15% discount so I'm very confused. I tried to see if maybe a senior fare has more benefits, but couldn't find any information. I'm looking at Business Class, but I wouldn't think that would make any difference.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I’m guessing your finding a lower fare that the discount doesn’t apply to:

Passenger Discount for Seniors
Seniors Save 10%
Amtrak travelers 65 years of age and over are eligible to receive a 10% discount on most rail fares on most Amtrak trains. On cross-border services operated jointly by Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada, a 10% Senior discount is applicable to travelers aged 60 and over.
Discount Limitations
  • The senior discount is not valid with Saver or Flexible Fares.
  • The senior discount is not valid on the Auto Train.
  • The senior discount does not apply to non-Acela Business class, First class or sleeping accommodation. These upgrades are permitted upon payment of the full accommodation charges.
  • The senior discount is not valid for travel on certain Amtrak Thruway connecting services.
  • The senior discount may not be combinable with other discount offers; refer to the terms and conditions for each offer.
  • Additional restrictions may apply.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What I'm seeing is the fare posted on the website. For the train I'm looking at for two people the adult fare is $114. When I put in for the senior fare it shows $176 for two. It is a non-Acala Business class, but I'm still wondering why the senior fare would be more than the adult fare? If the senior fare isn't valid why would I be seeing a senior fare at all?

I just tried looking at another route and picked one of the higher priced options. For that the Senior discount did bring the price down. It's just very confusing to see a higher price when there is supposed to be a discount. Why wouldn't it just say discount not available.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are the $114 and $176 fares for each passenger or combined. I’m using the app and don’t see any Senior fare for a random August date I’m looking at. I know a couple of years ago I was looking for 1 Senior and 2 Adult fares from Albany to NYC and couldn’t book them together when I was searching, but you’re just looking for 2 Senior fares right?

For the date I picked (8/11) the $57 fares I’m seeing are Acela trains.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Are the $114 and $176 fares for each passenger or combined. I’m using the app and don’t see any Senior fare for a random August date I’m looking at. I know a couple of years ago I was looking for 1 Senior and 2 Adult fares from Albany to NYC and couldn’t book them together when I was searching, but you’re just looking for 2 Senior fares right?

For the date I picked (8/11) the $57 fares I’m seeing are Acela trains.
The fares are for two people, Business Class. I am looking specifically at October 16 from Providence RI to New York City getting into NYC at 1:50 p.m.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See the third bullet point on the discount restrictions.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is some strange pricing. I’d just book two adult tickets @ $57 each and enjoy the ride. The issue I had wouldn’t allow me to book 2 adults and a senior at the same time without charging the Senior the adult rate from Albany. We ended up driving so didn’t pursue it any further.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I plan to book the adult fares. I just couldn't figure out why the senior discount was more.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe seniors can afford to pay more? Just kidding but this happens a lot to avoid having to offer discounts.

Would be nice if businesses offered discounts for families with young kids. Places wa to to charge 8 year olds full price. No thank you.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Maybe seniors can afford to pay more? Just kidding but this happens a lot to avoid having to offer discounts.

Would be nice if businesses offered discounts for families with young kids. Places wa to to charge 8 year olds full price. No thank you.
Amtrak does have discounts for children 2 to 12 (under 2 they can ride free). It looks like, but don't quote me on it, that it doesn't apply to non-Acala routes, which would lead me to believe it does apply for Acala.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We found the same issue of senior fare being higher than adult for our booking on the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Portland mid-September. Base fare for 2=$56 + Business Class seats for 2=$40.
Now fingers crossed that wildfires don't impact this train. Already there are disruptions further south on the route and in some cases passengers leave the train for a segment on a bus!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We found the same issue of senior fare being higher than adult for our booking on the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Portland mid-September. Base fare for 2=$56 + Business Class seats for 2=$40.
Now fingers crossed that wildfires don't impact this train. Already there are disruptions further south on the route and in some cases passengers leave the train for a segment on a bus!
I'm glad I'm not going nuts.

We took the Coast Starlight from the San Francisco Bay Area to Seattle (and back). Beautiful route.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Good luck. They have the world's worst website. Their website alone probably deters passengers. I tried it and knew immediately why they are struggling. I gave up after holding 2 hours and decided if I were to try again I will have a travel agent do it for me.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Good luck. They have the world's worst website. Their website alone probably deters passengers. I tried it and knew immediately why they are struggling. I gave up after holding 2 hours and decided if I were to try again I will have a travel agent do it for me.
Really? I've had no issues with the Amtrak website, other than I couldn't figure out why the Senior fare was more than the Adult fare. I will say I haven't completed booking the tickets yet. Maybe I'll have more issues then. You said you were on hold for 2 hours? I assume that was after calling, not on the website.

I've used the Amtrak website quite a few times to book trips. No issues.

I've found many other companies with far worse websites.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
The problem may that I'm trying to book a room and have too many questions. The 1st one was whether they have a low fare calendar, since I can travel anytime, and they could not tell me.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The problem may that I'm trying to book a room and have too many questions. The 1st one was whether they have a low fare calendar, since I can travel anytime, and they could not tell me.
I Googled and found out (not on the Amtrak site) that Amtrak does not have a low far calendar. I did find this however on the Frommer's website:

What days are cheapest on Amtrak?

"Before you start clicking links, make sure to check Amtrak's Weekly Specials, on sale between Tuesday and Friday each week. These are deeply discounted fares (often up to 80% off) that can be for any train in the country. It's a grab bag, but you might get lucky."

Since it's Friday I just tried this. Supposedly fares are up to 20% off. I clicked on the trip I'd been looking at, which was Business Class for 2 at $114. With the "discount" it's now $176. I think I'll stick to the un-discounted price. :p

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had lots of trouble with the Amtrak website over the years.

On the bright side, I've had good experiences with their phone customer service. Give them a call and they will explain the arcane reasoning behind senior fares being higher than regular adult fares.

I love Amtrak, but my personal aggravation with them is that when they have a sale, the one train I need to take regularly, the Pennsylvanian, is exempt from the discount.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I've had lots of trouble with the Amtrak website over the years.

On the bright side, I've had good experiences with their phone customer service. Give them a call and they will explain the arcane reasoning behind senior fares being higher than regular adult fares.

I love Amtrak, but my personal aggravation with them is that when they have a sale, the one train I need to take regularly, the Pennsylvanian, is exempt from the discount.
But it appears their "discounts" are higher than the regular fare. At least they have been for the route I'm looking at.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
But it appears their "discounts" are higher than the regular fare. At least they have been for the route I'm looking at.

That's one of the problems I've had with the site.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That's one of the problems I've had with the site.
Is it a site problem, or a problem with the way Amtrak does their fares? I think from now on I'm going to check all of the fares, adult, senior, and any discounts they may be offering, and then just book the cheapest. For us, for the train we want, it's going to be the adult fare (Business).

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it a site problem, or a problem with the way Amtrak does their fares? I think from now on I'm going to check all of the fares, adult, senior, and any discounts they may be offering, and then just book the cheapest. For us, for the train we want, it's going to be the adult fare (Business).

Yes, do that. The Amtrak site is full of surprises. And one of the aggravating things about it is that there is probably some condition that makes that senior fare more than the regular fare, but it won't TELL YOU why it's coming out that way.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fares for sleeper accommodations have gone up significantly in the past six months, especially for bedrooms. In the past, I found some fare differences by travel date and and that fares would sometimes decrease closer to the travel date. Now they appear to start high, and get higher as space gets booked. Some trains don't have enough sleeper cars and Amtrak doesn't appear to be interested in adding capacity. The second sleeper and business class cars have been eliminated on the Cardinal. Hopefully things will improve with the new CEO and increased funding, but I suggest booking sleeper accommodations as early as possible.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago an Amtrak phone rep explained to me that fares are based on how full the train is.

Fares start at the lowest level. Then higher fares are triggered by demand--the train filling up--rather than time. So the farther out you can book (when the train is at its least crowded), the lower the fare will be.

It looks like that's still the case, since now the website shows the percentage of seats reserved.