• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the strangest thing you have ever brought on vacation......

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For timeshare vacations I take a small bag with laundry supplies including a small clothesline that I can stretch along the top of the bathtub. I also carry a rubber bottle opener because sometimes bottled drinks are hard to open.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
In the late nineties we learned to travel with our fax machine. My husband was poa for his mother,she was ill, and we frequently had to fax proof of poa to doctors, hospitals, Etc.
Now I am trying to get rid of that fax machine. The charity thrift shop won’t take it, garbage men dug it out of can and left on curb, no one wanted it free on Facebook marketplace .
My first laptop had a data/fax modem built in. Never used it to fax when we traveled, but occasionally used it at home.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first laptop had a data/fax modem built in. Never used it to fax when we traveled, but occasionally used it at home.
I think I had a desk top back then in the nineties and back in2004 I remember still moving a desk top back and forth for awhile

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
We packed all our food when going to the Bahamas and also to Kaui..It took some doing and planning but it all worked out, saved us a lot. The other odd thing we took but not really was the MAGIC JACK, Remember those. It saved us a ton of $$ when out of the country, we had a death in the family and had to get back to the states and had to rearrange all of our flights and stays.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bring Arthur the Mothman on every vacation.

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
In the late nineties we learned to travel with our fax machine. My husband was poa for his mother,she was ill, and we frequently had to fax proof of poa to doctors, hospitals, Etc.
Now I am trying to get rid of that fax machine. The charity thrift shop won’t take it, garbage men dug it out of can and left on curb, no one wanted it free on Facebook marketplace .

You might check into whether your community has an electronics, paint, oil recycling program. In Los Angeles, we can drop things off every Saturday and Sunday but some cities and churches, community orgs, etc, hold their own waste recycling programs.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
For some reason I read the title to be “What is the strangest thing you ever bought on vacation?” That would make a good thread too, if not already done. For some, the answer would be a timeshare!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
For some reason I read the title to be “What is the strangest thing you ever bought on vacation?” That would make a good thread too, if not already done. For some, the answer would be a timeshare!
I bought French horns on vacation a few times.

Once on the way home from vacation I bought two -- 2 -- empty French horn carrying cases.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Reactions: RX8

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Pure maple syrup in shampoo bottles

geekette

Reaction score
I hope we have one
Periodically my old area had Toxaway Days, certain sites open to take electronic garbage. Outside of those events, it usually cost me to dump an old item, like $10. blech. My garage would build a pile until a toxaway day.

geekette

Reaction score
I took 2 sewing machines and several tubs of fabric, notions, patterns, and had myself a sewfest at the beach, off season. Cold outside but I was cranking inside. I am likely to do same thing again within the next 6 months.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought French horns on vacation a few times.

Once on the way home from vacation I bought two -- 2 -- empty French horn carrying cases.

My loving DW brought home a hunting horn from Czech Republic. We dragged it all over Europe, constantly worried it would get smashed.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took 2 sewing machines and several tubs of fabric, notions, patterns, and had myself a sewfest at the beach, off season. Cold outside but I was cranking inside. I am likely to do same thing again within the next 6 months.

Nice!

Not a timeshare vacation, but one of my fondest travel memories was accompanying my wife to a conference at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. The conference was small and held weekdays off-season, so there were very few guests.

This was pre-wifi/data. I pre-ordered that weeks Sunday NY Times, a bunch of other papers/magazines, and spent 2 days reading and drinking cocoa in front of a giant roaring fire by myself. It was lovely. I got some funny looks from the bell staff for my giant box of reading material.

geekette

Reaction score
Nice!

Not a timeshare vacation, but one of my fondest travel memories was accompanying my wife to a conference at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. The conference was small and held weekdays off-season, so there were very few guests.

This was pre-wifi/data. I pre-ordered that weeks Sunday NY Times, a bunch of other papers/magazines, and spent 2 days reading and drinking cocoa in front of a giant roaring fire by myself. It was lovely. I got some funny looks from the bell staff for my giant box of reading material.
ooooh, I could dig that!! Weird that it takes a big ole trip to get around to a big readfest, but I always take a couple paperbacks, pluck a few Nat Geos from my massive collection, and like to read local papers. Something about small town news has always made me go back for more.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
ooooh, I could dig that!! Weird that it takes a big ole trip to get around to a big readfest, but I always take a couple paperbacks, pluck a few Nat Geos from my massive collection, and like to read local papers. Something about small town news has always made me go back for more.

I love reading local newspapers wherever I go as well. I find it really gives you a sense for a place.

I also compulsively check real estate listings wherever I travel.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
My loving DW brought a Hunting born for Czech Republic
I have a nice French horn in the collection right now made by Josef Lidl in Brno, Czech Republic.

IMG_2224.JPG

It's an eBay special -- not bought while staying at a timeshare, nor on the way to a timeshare, nor on the way home from a timeshare.

Last edited:

andy25g

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I go to Mexico I take clothes my children have outgrown(but still in a good shape)

I’ve always given clothing to an appreciate housekeeper, most times Ive had to meet them outside the resort to give them the clothing but it hasn’t been a big inconvenience.

basically I ask: when do you get off work?what time should I meet you outside?and where would you recommend the best meeting spot?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When I go to Mexico I take clothes my children have outgrown(but still in a good shape)

I’ve always given clothing to an appreciate housekeeper, most times Ive had to meet them outside the resort to give them the clothing but it hasn’t been a big inconvenience.

basically I ask: when do you get off work?what time should I meet you outside?and where would you recommend the best meeting spot?

This is a great idea.

Dave

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
After Cliff packs I slip additional underwear into his suitcase based on how many days of undies we'll need before we will have a convenient laundry day -- when combining hotels and timeshares on a longer trip, especially adding European stops to the mix, laundry timing is critical! He'd already worn the same shirt for three days one time when we met his sister in Santa Fe. I hadn't noticed. On the fourth day (only day two for her) she commented he was wearing yesterday's shirt. I thought it was weird of her to notice and comment out loud, but sure enough a trip to Ross was in order because he had forgot to pack any other shirts.
We pack light also - knowing that we will do laundry at least once a week, but when we go to beach vacations, we do pack even lighter since swimsuits do not take up much space and shorts and tops only get worn a few hours each day. My husband developed a philosophy back in 1991 - if we tip well enough, the waiter will not notice that you are wearing the same thing as yesterday AND there are always stores everywhere we go, so if you need something else, just buy it there! So we are carry-on only folks now! I also take less than I need so that I can buy something new! :)

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, it has been a while since we had this post. Anything new?

For me, it was a last minute trip to St. Thomas. Frozen chicken, hamburger and steaks in my luggage.....snuggled right next to my bathing suit. It was still frozen solid when we arrived.

I bet a line of stray dogs was following you down the beach :banana:

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When my BIL came to visit MN from the Philly area, he got subs for us, packed them in a insulated bag, and put them in his suitcase. Then Delta lost the suitcase. :eek: We were in a panic, but they found the suitcase and sent it by a courier, who delivered it at 11 PM. We ate the subs right away to make sure they didn't spoil. They were delicious! Lesson learned... don't pack perishable food in a suitcase.

geekette

Reaction score
I love reading local newspapers wherever I go as well. I find it really gives you a sense for a place.

oh yes, I do that, too!!!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

If we are heading someplace new I look online a few weeks, or even months, ahead of time to find the local paper that publishes online. I bookmark the site and glance through it every day or so until we arrive. I have found out about many events happening that we would have otherwise missed if we waited until we got to our destination to research local events. The best one was many years ago when we went to Nashville and the local radio station was having a contest for tickets to a show at the Ryman on the day after we were checking in. The contest closed about a month before we were to arrive and they were giving away quite a few tickets so I thought what the heck, so I entered and I won!

DH collects and reads all the real estate papers and magazines where ever we go. If I loose him at the grocery store I know he'll be at the big display of the real estate papers near the exit. We even have to bring some of the 'best' ones home so he can show the house prices to our family or the guys at the firehall. :shrug:

~Diane

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we are heading someplace new I look online a few weeks, or even months, ahead of time to find the local paper that publishes online. I bookmark the site and glance through it every day or so until we arrive. I have found out about many events happening that we would have otherwise missed if we waited until we got to our destination to research local events. The best one was many years ago when we went to Nashville and the local radio station was having a contest for tickets to a show at the Ryman on the day after we were checking in. The contest closed about a month before we were to arrive and they were giving away quite a few tickets so I thought what the heck, so I entered and I won!

DH collects and reads all the real estate papers and magazines where ever we go. If I loose him at the grocery store I know he'll be at the big display of the real estate papers near the exit. We even have to bring some of the 'best' ones home so he can show the house prices to our family or the guys at the firehall. :shrug:

~Diane

That's a great idea checking in advance!