• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Inn at the Park, San Diego, questions

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
We have a 4 night stay booked here for early Oct. Any recommendations for a specific room request?

Any restaurant recommendations nearby? Only 2 old reviews on TUG so would like any updated info. We've been to S.D. before but haven't seen the Zoo or Aquarium since 1971.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
We stayed in a 1 BR. Very nice, but small, and paying for valet parking gets old. We cooked, but there are restaurants nearby. Little Italy area is close if you like Italian. You can walk to the zoo but it's about a 1/2 hr. or so. If you don't mind driving, you're about 10 mins. from DZ Akins which has fantastic food, if you like Deli type.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
DO PLAN to visit the Zoo. You'll notice a HUGE change versus 50 years ago.

Perhaps the best Zoo in the USA.

Have fun!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phil, we like Filipi's in Little Italy, several great home style Mexican places in Old Town. Look for a line waiting to get in. Check out Pure Project in Balboa Park. Said to have a great beer menu.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
A highlight of any stay at Inn at the Park is a walk (or two!) to Extraordinary Desserts just a couple blocks away.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
San Diego for 4 nights. Sounds wonderful to me!! The San Diego Museum of Natural History is close to the Zoo and usually has some great exhibits. There is a restaurant in the museum complex that I love. It's called Prado. At one time, it was voted a local favorite.
My daughter loves Stone Brewery at Liberty Station. That area, although I haven't explored it well, looks like a great place to spend some time.
You are going to LOVE your visit to the zoo! last time I visited (pre-covid) there were stations providing hands-on experiences with a curator.
Check out the San Diego Zoo website for ticket information. Some passes include the safari park. Coronado is close and has gourmet food choices. Temecula is only an hour away. If you are interested in wine tasting, it's worth the drive. We did olive oil tastings in the old town of Temecula last week. So much fun!!!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We stayed there a few years ago. I don't know if there is any location in the resort that would be better than any other. One nice thing was that we could walk to a trolley stop and get to a lot of places.

If you haven't visited the Midway, that is a great ship to tour, Get your tickets ahead of time. https://www.midway.org/

A couple of restaurants we found and liked:

I agree with Jim's recommendation on Filipi's in Little Italy.

Isola Pizza Bar
Little Italy
1526 India St.
http://isolapizzabar.com/
They serve only pizza, along with some appetizers. Very thin crust, all very fresh ingredients and house made gelata.

Smoking Goat
North Park
3408 30th St.
http://www.thesmokinggoatrestaurant.com/

Urban Solace
North Park
3823 30th St.
http://urbansolace.net/

I also like the Bali Hai on Shelter Island. A lot of the reason is because I have great memories of going there as a child. https://www.balihairestaurant.com/

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Wow! Great suggestions. We won't have a car so will use Uber/Lyft to hit nearby restaurants & sights. Jim knows we like a good beer. :)

We have toured the Midway & Coronado Island on a previous trip.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 for Balboa park attractions. The car museum and Nat'l history museum. There's an artist 'colony' adjacent. We never fail to find some tchotchke to bring home. There's a giant outdoor organ that gets played (I think) daily. Times are posted. Waaay too much fun stuff to do in the park.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A few years ago The Prado restaurant, right in the center of the older Balboa Park buildings, held a deal where students at their culinary school presented absolutely outstanding dinner fare for guests. It was one of the nicest outdoor meals we've ever had. I'd do it again in a second.

Now, whether they're still doing it or not, I don't know. But it's worth checking into. You could walk there from your timeshare.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
A few years ago The Prado restaurant, right in the center of the older Balboa Park buildings, held a deal where students at their culinary school presented absolutely outstanding dinner fare for guests. It was one of the nicest outdoor meals we've ever had. I'd do it again in a second.

Now, whether they're still doing it or not, I don't know. But it's worth checking into. You could walk there from your timeshare.

Dave
You could walk there from the timeshare, but it would be a heck of a walk. It's "only" 1.2 miles but might be more than you'd want to do. We had a car, so we just drove most places, unless we could get there by trolley.

I just realized that we didn't stay at Inn at the Park. We were at Worldmark San Diego - Balboa Park. So the trolley line may not be as convenient a location as it was for us. Where we were we could easily walk to Gaslamp District. The restaurants I mentioned in North Park aren't far though (not walking distance though :D).

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I agree with The Prado - and I think it's walkable - 15 mins more or less depending on how fast you walk. Or make a day of it and just eat sometime during the day. There are actually a lot of hiking trails in Balboa Park if that's your thing, or a lot of museums if it's not.

Also within walking distance is Mr. A's - somewhat of a San Diego tradition. My grandmother used to take me there as a child and always said it was my birthday to get a free dessert, lol. As a child I was horrified by the lie! At any rate, it has the most stunning views of downtown San Diego and the flights landing at Lindbergh. It's pricey but everyone deserves a splurge while on vacation. There is both inside and outside seating. https://www.asrestaurant.com/

Our favorite old school Mexican in Old Town is Old Town Mexican Cafe (or Old Towm Mex if you live here, lol). https://oldtownmexcafe.com/

Almost anything in Little Italy is good. While we like Filippi's, our favorite is actually Mona Lisa for old school pizza (the sausage is homemade and to die for), but for something closer to true Italian pizza, I agree with the suggestion of Isola.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I agree with The Prado - and I think it's walkable - 15 mins more or less depending on how fast you walk. Or make a day of it and just eat sometime during the day. There are actually a lot of hiking trails in Balboa Park if that's your thing, or a lot of museums if it's not.

Also within walking distance is Mr. A's - somewhat of a San Diego tradition. My grandmother used to take me there as a child and always said it was my birthday to get a free dessert, lol. As a child I was horrified by the lie! At any rate, it has the most stunning views of downtown San Diego and the flights landing at Lindbergh. It's pricey but everyone deserves a splurge while on vacation. There is both inside and outside seating. https://www.asrestaurant.com/

Our favorite old school Mexican in Old Town is Old Town Mexican Cafe (or Old Towm Mex if you live here, lol). https://oldtownmexcafe.com/

Almost anything in Little Italy is good. While we like Filippi's, our favorite is actually Mona Lisa for old school pizza (the sausage is homemade and to die for), but for something closer to true Italian pizza, I agree with the suggestion of Isola.

You must walk fast, lol. When I checked with google maps it showed a 23 minute walk. I think I was basing my impression of the walkability based on where we stayed (Worldmark Balboa Park). Inn at the Park is much closer to the park than we were.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You must walk fast, lol. When I checked with google maps it showed a 23 minute walk. I think I was basing my impression of the walkability based on where we stayed (Worldmark Balboa Park). Inn at the Park is much closer to the park than we were.
Yeah I didn't think about it much. :D Our daily walks are 3ish miles in one hour. So it will be a good walk but we walk a lot on vacation.

Your location would be much farther - plus uphill. The worst!!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yeah I didn't think about it much. :D Our daily walks are 3ish miles in one hour. So it will be a good walk but we walk a lot on vacation.

Your location would be much farther - plus uphill. The worst!!
We walk a lot on vacation as well. But as you said, from where we were staying to Balboa Park would have been long AND uphill. It didn't look like a particularly safe walk either with some of the roads we would need to cross.

Is the Old Town Mexican Cafe the big open one kind of in the middle of Old Town?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We walk a lot on vacation as well. But as you said, from where we were staying to Balboa Park would have been long AND uphill. It didn't look like a particularly safe walk either with some of the roads we would need to cross.

Is the Old Town Mexican Cafe the big open one kind of in the middle of Old Town?
No it's an inside place. Years ago there was a fun outdoor restaurant called Casa de Pico but they had a lease dispute (I think) and moved inland. I'm not sure what is in it's place now.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You could walk there from the timeshare, but it would be a heck of a walk. It's "only" 1.2 miles but might be more than you'd want to do. We had a car, so we just drove most places, unless we could get there by trolley.

I just realized that we didn't stay at Inn at the Park. We were at Worldmark San Diego - Balboa Park. So the trolley line may not be as convenient a location as it was for us. Where we were we could easily walk to Gaslamp District. The restaurants I mentioned in North Park aren't far though (not walking distance though :D).

Is that 1.2 miles from the WM Inn or WM Balboa Park? I don’t remember it being “that” far of a walk to the Laurel St. Bridge. ?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is that 1.2 miles from the WM Inn or WM Balboa Park? I don’t remember it being “that” far of a walk to the Laurel St. Bridge. ?
1.2 from Inn at the Park I think. Once you get to the bridge you still have a ways to go, but unless it's hot and humid, or raining, it's a very doable walk.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

The open style restaurant in the Old Town park itself, with outdoor tables and umbrellas was Casa de Bandini. Yes, they relocated to the east and in Encinitas.

OTMC, or Old Town mex is outdoor with lots of open windows and they make fresh tortillas as you walk in.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Old Town Mexican Cafe is a favorite of ours, and so is Filipi's. You can't go wrong at either place. Don't try to go to Urban Solace, though (mentioned up-thread). It was a good place, but sadly it closed in 2019. If you can make it to South Park, check out Buona Forchetta.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The open style restaurant in the Old Town park itself, with outdoor tables and umbrellas was Casa de Bandini. Yes, they relocated to the east and in Encinitas.

OTMC, or Old Town mex is outdoor with lots of open windows and they make fresh tortillas as you walk in.
I think that they were both there at some point? Casa de Pico is in La Mesa now in Grossmont Center.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Old Town Mexican Cafe is a favorite of ours, and so is Filipi's. You can't go wrong at either place. Don't try to go to Urban Solace, though (mentioned up-thread). It was a good place, but sadly it closed in 2019. If you can make it to South Park, check out Buona Forchetta.
Thanks for the update. It's been a few years since we've been to San Diego. These days I should always include "please check to see if restaurant is still open" when I post recommendations.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
1.2 from Inn at the Park I think. Once you get to the bridge you still have a ways to go, but unless it's hot and humid, or raining, it's a very doable walk.

It is 1.2 miles. It's a delightful walk, so it wouldn't feel like the ~20 minutes it would take.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The open style restaurant in the Old Town park itself, with outdoor tables and umbrellas was Casa de Bandini.

I thought that was Casa de Reyes? in the courtyard of the mall with umbrella shaded outdoor dining and the tortilla ladies are by the entrance?