• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to HGVC and questions about reservations fees/rules

Gwendyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought HGVC via resale and are eager to start making plans, but I had questions about if we would need to change a reservation. I know we can't make changes 60 days or less before our travel date, but what about before then? Do we have to pay another $59 if we move the dates? For example, I would like to travel in December. If I book now, but find out later this summer that we need different December dates, is there any fee to make that change? What if we want to move it from December to November? Cancellations lose the $59 fee, correct? Is that what would happen if travel was shifted to the next calendar year?

Also, we had questions about RCI on-going searches. If we put in an OGS and it comes up a match, do we have to take that match or else lose the exchange fee? Or do we only lose the exchange fee if we accept the match and then cancel?

We are eager to start planning travel, but trying to figure out the balance between booking early to get what we want or waiting until some of our schedule uncertainties about next school year are worked out to avoid change fees (but possibly miss out on the dates/location we want).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Congrats @Gwendyc on your resale purchase! I hope you have many years of enjoyment.

re: Changes. As long as you "change" not cancel outside of 61 days you will not be charged.

re: RCI OGS. No you are not required to take the match. If you accept the match and cancel within 24 hours you will not lose the fee. Beyond 24 hours you will lose the fee.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
“re: Changes. As long as you "change" not cancel outside of 61 days you will not be charged.”

I thought they changed this and you can no longer change without losing the reservation fee?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
“re: Changes. As long as you "change" not cancel outside of 61 days you will not be charged.”

I thought they changed this and you can no longer change without losing the reservation fee?

As long as it’s 61 day or longer, you can change and won’t lose your reservation fee.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@dayooper , can I make the change (modify reservation) online or should I call and speak to a human?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
@dayooper , can I make the change (modify reservation) online or should I call and speak to a human?

I‘ve always made changes online. it’s so much easier. If you are walking a reservation, you pretty much have to do it online or you might miss out on your reservation.

I’ve had only one issue, but I was shuffling points (a technique where you want to trade older points into a reservation). I had no problems shortening by 2 days, but couldn’t get the those days back. A quick call to CS fixed the issue.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It's significantly cheaper online...
Home Week - Complimentary
Home Resort, by Hilton Club, or Club - Phone $99 / Online $59
Home Resort or Club using Bonus Points – Phone $109 / Online $79

On the member's website, under "Help," look for Club Navigator - Rules+Fees.
OR just go to... https://tinyurl.com/pjmznsak

Missviv

Reaction score
We just bought HGVC via resale and are eager to start making plans, but I had questions about if we would need to change a reservation. I know we can't make changes 60 days or less before our travel date, but what about before then? Do we have to pay another $59 if we move the dates? For example, I would like to travel in December. If I book now, but find out later this summer that we need different December dates, is there any fee to make that change? What if we want to move it from December to November? Cancellations lose the $59 fee, correct? Is that what would happen if travel was shifted to the next calendar year?

Also, we had questions about RCI on-going searches. If we put in an OGS and it comes up a match, do we have to take that match or else lose the exchange fee? Or do we only lose the exchange fee if we accept the match and then cancel?

We are eager to start planning travel, but trying to figure out the balance between booking early to get what we want or waiting until some of our schedule uncertainties about next school year are worked out to avoid change fees (but possibly miss out on the dates/location we want).

Where did you get your resale and what did you get? I am in the resale market myself. Since I live on the west coast, I was thinking about buying in Vegas since it has low MF. I want to get enough points annually so I can double up to go to Hawaii locations when I go in the odd years. I have similar questions as you so I am following his thread for sure. Thank you for asking the questions.

Gwendyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you get your resale and what did you get? I am in the resale market myself. Since I live on the west coast, I was thinking about buying in Vegas since it has low MF. I want to get enough points annually so I can double up to go to Hawaii locations when I go in the odd years. I have similar questions as you so I am following his thread for sure. Thank you for asking the questions.
We bought through Diane Nadeau. She was super-helpful, and we got a great price on HGVC Seaworld, even years 4800 pts, but if we ever add on, the Vegas properties seem like a good choice.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
We bought through Diane Nadeau. She was super-helpful,
I also second Diane. I told her what I want and what I want to pay. She is out looking for it. Some of LV properties are a great choice if you are only looking for points. We do have a resource of the HGVC resorts/units with some of the best MFs/point ratio on our MF sticky.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District

What I’ll add to GT75‘s comments are understand the nuances of the HGVC (how MF‘s are based on room type and season + many other issues) and have a good idea of how many points you want to use now and into the future before you buy.

I went into 2020 with a pretty good understanding of the program but reading through many threads here taught me quite a bit more. My first purchase in Nov 2020 was a 7000 point 1BR at Elara with MFs around $900. I then decided I wanted more to use for our travel and to potentially share with our son and his wife and added a 12,600 point EOY 1BR at Kings Land with MFs under $1500. I thought that was enough and while looking for something really specific I came across a really good deal on something quite different from what I was looking for and I‘m in the midst of acquiring another 2x6200 points in Even Years at Valdoro which has higher MFs but at the end of the day my average will be around $.14/point for all three deeds combined.

I think I’m done for awhile and now will have about 19,000 points a year, but will likely rent out 6200 of those in Even years to lower my overall MFs. I’ve paid about $.63/point plus closing costs and transfer/activation fees and really like the locations I’ve stayed at already.

Dig into GT‘s spreadsheet and the 2021 Club Reference and Club Rules pdf. I will be some work but you won’t regret it and have a better understanding of what you’re getting into.