• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting out our points and considering selling

Formerexpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are definitely not using our saved points from last year, which expire March 1. Is the current rental market for points decent? I’d like it to be as painless and risk free as possible. Which rental companies have you used?
How is the resale market post COVID? Would now be as good a time as any to sell?

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Like everything else the Resale Market is very strong, you can likely sell quickly for a high price.

For rentals I have used David's Vacation Club Rental. https://dvcrequest.com

Easy to rent points to people. Points rent around $15 per point.

Reactions: RX8

nomoretslt

Reaction score
The resale market is very high right now. Depending on what resort you own and how many points. As an example, in early 2019 we sold our 130 point Saratoga contract for $102/point in order to have some $$ to purchase a Riviera direct. I just saw some Saratoga points listed for resale for between $139/$145 per point. The smaller number of points on the contract the higher the per point price. I’ve used two different places for buying and selling. The DVC store and DVC Resale Market. Both legitimate. DVC resale market has a handy calculator you can use....plug in your resort and points and it will give you a ballpark number.

As to renting out your points...have never done so....we use every last one of our points. But both of the places I mention will also rent out your points. They can even sell your contract with the banked points.

I know quite a few DVC members have become very disenchanted with DVC and Disney in general. Me included, but we really enjoy our trips there and have been members since 1997. If the Magic has truly worn off for you and your family, have a frank discussion, weigh the pros and the cons. Good luck.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
While I completely agree with the idea of renting out the points (transferring, if possible) ... if your points are qualified for the Concierge Collection, have you considered using them locally? We consumed our carry-over 2019 points booking the Hotel Del Coronado (San Diego; ocean-view room category) for a delightful long weekend. It worked really, really well.

And yes, also, to the idea of this being a good market for selling. I checked last week and was pleasantly surprised to see prices starting at $130/pp for Saratoga Springs in our UY. FWIW, I don't see us returning to WDW with the pattern we had pre-COVID. We very much enjoy the Grand Cal, and have been mostly fortunate to book scattered weekend bookings here and there using the SSR points ... but we don't need the Grand Cal. Disney destinations are, for us, rapidly plummeting as desirable travel. I'm sufficiently detached from DVC and ready to sell ... but my DH isn't yet at that point. (He really digs the Grand Cal. So ... for now ... we'll still book this even if we don't visit the parks.)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I reserved and rented two five-night stays at Disney's Old Key West, 10 points per night and made more money than I ever have using go-koala.com. I plan to use that for every one of my DVC points. We own 500 points and have been getting $15 per point, but I did get much more for these last points I rented ($17.50 per point).

People are wanting to travel. But I would use David's to make sure I could use all of my points. David's offers much less per point than I can make myself, but you can just about double your maintenance fees using his website. I think if you have expiring points he gives much less. I think that's terrible because he has people who travel last minute. So offering less for expiring points? Why?

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I have also used David's but heard he changed his contract and it is now not as favorable to owners. We bought twice thru The Timeshare Store.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I have also used David's but heard he changed his contract and it is now not as favorable to owners. We bought twice thru The Timeshare Store.
We too used the Timeshare Store, but they are transitioning to the name DVC store (I guess Timeshare Store turns off a lot of people ). Still have the same great staff.
I guess David’s went through a lot of grief with all the DVC cancellations. Lots of angry clients.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
For DVC rentals, people here reflexively say David's David's David's as if they are the only ones. We used The DVC Rental Store in 2018 and 2019 with a lot of success, and they were easy to use. And no, I'm not connected with them in any way - I was just pleased with their service and surprised they don't get more love in this forum!

chromeo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC x 4
Definitely a huge market to renting points!

You could book a long weekend and list it on RedWeek as verified. The pricing there seems to match market for point rental, but in a more palatable format to many renters. The big services are out there, but they will pay you less.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
If you were thinking of selling, now is the time to sell. Visit the timeshare store (dvcstore.com) to give you an idea of selling prices. They are a good company!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are definitely not using our saved points from last year, which expire March 1. Is the current rental market for points decent? I’d like it to be as painless and risk free as possible. Which rental companies have you used?
How is the resale market post COVID? Would now be as good a time as any to sell?
Look at Disboards to see the rental thread to get an idea on pricing. If you post your expiring points, they likely will be rented within a week. You'd want to get on that, though. Another option would be to book high demand times (holidays, weekends) and offer to rent the reservations.

You can use the brokers if you feel more comfortable with that. I did once a long time ago and found it wasn't any easier than just handling it myself. The main issue with doing it yourself is you'll have a lot of lookloos and people asking really dumb questions, such as can you book a June stay when your post will clearly say the points expire March 1. Same thing happens with renting reservations. You could book President's day weekend and people will ask if you can change the dates. You could always just not respond if you get too many like that.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
If you decide to rent, you need to list your points somewhere soon. Due to the glut of points in the system, resorts are booking up way faster than usual, even for the lower-demand months of January and February. We have a 3-night studio stay in mid-January that we wanted to change at 7 months, and pickings were slim, even for AKL, SSR and OKW. Forget about this fall - it’s been booked for quite some time already.

Reactions: RX8

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The problem with expiring points is that very little inventory is available right now for anything DVC. On my Disney resale FB group, owned by Seth Nock, someone posted there are not even two consecutive nights at any resort for all of Oct, Nov and Dec. That was a bit of a shock to me because I book way ahead. Disney will be crowded for fall.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
I've rented or transferred my points on tug, disboards, redweek, and DVC Disney Vacation Club Points Rental FB group -- all very quickly. I always require up front payment in full via zelle or a check. I would say disboards was my least favorite with lots of tire-kickers and last minute bargain shoppers. My best was redweek where I posted a weekend reservation in a studio. Everyone wants the studios. All rented at $16-20/pt.

Resale prices are all higher than they've ever been and I've been tempted to sell since our points are double what we paid 4 years ago. I rented out all our points while we wait and see what disney does with returning to "normal." We have no desire to go with their current offerings.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two major issues right now. One is the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World which starts 1 Oct and two is the fact that there are still some on property hotels that have not reopened. This means that the many people that want to go to the festivities starting in Oct are going to rent whatever is available, including DVC.