• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice During Rescind Period - What to Look For?

AKO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was in Las Vegas and went to one of the VV Grandview tours. Ended up purchasing a TS at another location (VV Bonaventure - Weston, FL) because the price seemed adequate with the bonus weeks. Never researched timeshares before other than they can be treacherous. We purchased a 2 bedroom for $5,000.

I am reviewing the contract and would like some advice on what things I should be looking out for. Also any ideas on understanding the season thing (red,white,blue) and other useful information wold be greatly appreciated.

Additional info:
Resort: VV at Bonaventure
Week Num: 25
Usage: Biennial Even
Unit Type: 2 Bedroom
First Year Occupancy: 2022
Exchange Program: RCI Weeks

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
All I can say is rescind now and then research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad product, just overpriced by about $4,999. Beware that you only have 3 days to rescind in Nevada. So if you're going to do it, better hurry to the post office pronto!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind Immediately. You can go back to buy at anytime you want (but you won't want to).

You only have ONE opportunity to rescind so do it while you still can.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It's not a bad product, just overpriced by about $4,999. Beware that you only have 3 days to rescind in Nevada. So if you're going to do it, better hurry to the post office pronto!
OP needs to look at his contract but Florida law with the 10 day rescission should apply both when you purchase in Florida or if the property you bought (even from another state) is in Florida. Still not a lot of time and we don't know when he bought.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP needs to look at his contract but Florida law with the 10 day rescission should apply both when you purchase in Florida or if the property you bought (even from another state) is in Florida. Still not a lot of time and we don't know when he bought.
It appears that he purchased in Nevada, so most likely Nevada law would cover the sale- even though the 'home;' resort is in Florida. There might be enough 'wiggle room' to argue either way. But I wouldn't want to chance it.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It appears that he purchased in Nevada, so most likely Nevada law would cover the sale- even though the 'home;' resort is in Florida. There might be enough 'wiggle room' to argue either way. But I wouldn't want to chance it.
The contract will have the correct information. I've read the Florida statute. Their law covers Florida timeshares purchased in other states.
Fla. Stat. Ann. § 721

CHAPTER 721
VACATION AND TIMESHARE PLANS
PART I
VACATION PLANS AND TIMESHARING
(ss. 721.01-721.32)

721.02 (4) Require every timeshare plan offered for sale or created and existing in this state to be subjected to the provisions of this chapter.

Generally where more than one state law covers the sale, the more lenient rescission law prevails. I believe that if you buy a timeshare in Florida even resale from a private owner or even ebay, you still get the 10 day rescission period and if the purchase contract doesn't include that info, you may even have a full year to legally get out of it.

Florida is very developer friendly with its timeshare laws but it does have one of the longer state rescission laws and it does extend that rescission protection to all of its timeshares.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

In Nevada, a purchaser has the right to cancel a timeshare contract of sale until midnight of the fifth calendar day following the date the contract was executed. As stated in NRS 119A. 410 this right to cancel may not be waived and notice must be given to the developer by certified mail or personal delivery.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK already. I stand corrected. I still say the OP should consider rescinding ASAP and if they still want a timeshare after studying and weighing their use against the cost should consider buying at resale instead of from a developer while on vacation.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK already. I stand corrected. I still say the OP should consider rescinding ASAP and if they still want a timeshare after studying and weighing their use against the cost should consider buying at resale instead of from a developer while on vacation.

Agree he should rescind. Even though he has five days, there is no harm in rescinding in 3 days or one day after purchase. Though my copy pasta mentions that a rescission can be delivered in person, it's a bad idea to give the salesman another whack at you, AKO, so just send a certified letter with return receipt precisely per the instructions found in your contract.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

You're off by a dollar. Those units are regularly available via Timeshare Nation for free.

AKO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to be mailing off the cancellation tomorrow or Friday. We purchased on Monday and having a few days to cancel is what let us pull the trigger.

Are there any good primers on buying resale? Do things like bonus weeks transfer to new owners, what questions to ask, etc?

I went into this because I think the real value is in the RCI membership.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to be mailing off the cancellation tomorrow or Friday. We purchased on Monday and having a few days to cancel is what let us pull the trigger.

Are there any good primers on buying resale? Do things like bonus weeks transfer to new owners, what questions to ask, etc?

I went into this because I think the real value is in the RCI membership.
Congrats! The best primer is hanging around TUG. Look at the newbies forums. Especially the pink 'Stickies' at the top of each forum. There's a questionnaire at the top of the Buying, Selling, Renting forum to fill out and post that will give us some guidance of what you want. Otherwise all you get are anecdotal vacation stories.

Often 'bonus weeks' are included with resales. And Most TSs are affiliated with RCI, or II the two biggest exchange companies. Both have low cost last-minute rentals. There is usually an extra membership fee, and exchanges come with extra fees too.

Anyway, WELCOME to TUG!

Jim

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
There is a lot of good information on buying resale here on TUG.

Specific to Vacation Village, common experience is that the bonus weeks do transfer to a new owner. My experience has been that when you purchase from them, you get a printed certificate that includes an offer code to call RCI and provide that will result in bonus weeks being added to your account - RCI has never asked for the printed certificate when I've done that or checked anything and I believe others that bought resale have been able to activate the same offers.

The bonus week benefit has some value, but if it is the short availability period (2-45 days) the inventory is typically the same as what is available to anyone in RCI as last call vacations, which cost just slightly more - your savings would not cover the retail purchase cost.

I do like the Vacation Village resorts and own several, they all have their own pluses and minuses. My preference is for the ones that are dual-affiliated with RCI and II; I believe VV Bonaventure is, but the ones in Williamsburg seem better traders to me. I don't have personal experience with trading a Bonaventure week as I don't own one, though.

AKO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Mailed the cancellation earlier today. Currently going through a lot of the threads here on TUG and looking at listings here and on other sites like redweek and SMTN.