• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West -- first real time -- need suggestions, confirmations

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
going to Hyatt BH next year and appreciate all the info. we're big snorklers.

KProuty

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Suzannecm , you can ride your bike to another restaurant on Stock Island that we didn't get to try but we I wanted to...

Hogfish Bar and Grill

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...tock_Island_Florida_Keys_Florida.html#REVIEWS

Also, you can WALK to a Kayak tour place right across the bridge.

Lazy Dog Adventures

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...es-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html#REVIEWS
Probably a five minute walk. Or, you can rent a kayak right from the Beach House, but I think the tour from Lazy Dog sounds like it would be worth it. We were hesitant because of my husband's use of a scooter or we would have definitely done it. Next time we go we will probably try, but there was so much else to do, plus we had to work.

Katherine

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading some reviews of KW resorts and one mentioned to skip the car rental and get a golf cart. Can anyone expand on this? I checked out the golf cart rental place mentioned, are golf carts a acceptable standard for driving all around the island?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading some reviews of KW resorts and one mentioned to skip the car rental and get a golf cart. Can anyone expand on this? I checked out the golf cart rental place mentioned, are golf carts a acceptable standard for driving all around the island?

Actually, if you're only going to be driving on Key West you really don't want a car if you can avoid it. Parking in many areas can be scarce, and the use of bicycles, scooters and golf carts is common. However, if you plan to leave Key West (i.e. drive off Key West to other Keys) then you need a car.

I was elsewhere in Florida a few months ago and drove down the Keys to Key West for a one week vacation. Parked the car for a week and didn't move it once.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, if you're only going to be driving on Key West you really don't want a car if you can avoid it. Parking in many areas can be scarce, and the use of bicycles, scooters and golf carts is common. However, if you plan to leave Key West (i.e. drive off Key West to other Keys) then you need a car.

I was elsewhere in Florida a few months ago and drove down the Keys to Key West for a one week vacation. Parked the car for a week and didn't move it once.

Thanks - this prompts a follow up question.
I recall the drive from MIA to the Keys being very nice (more than 20 years ago). I'm thinking of flying into either MIA or FLL and driving to KW. Then flying out of KW to return home. I checked one way car rentals and surprised they are not that much.

We will be at Hyatt Windward, so will need transportation into town. I could either keep the car rented from MIA/FLL or dump it off at the airport and get golf cart for the stay......

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - this prompts a follow up question.
I recall the drive from MIA to the Keys being very nice (more than 20 years ago). I'm thinking of flying into either MIA or FLL and driving to KW. Then flying out of KW to return home. I checked one way car rentals and surprised they are not that much.

We will be at Hyatt Windward, so will need transportation into town. I could either keep the car rented from MIA/FLL or dump it off at the airport and get golf cart for the stay......

Your plan looks good.

Me? I believe I would fly directly into Key West (round trip) and rent a car at Key West on a specific day to take that scenic drive to the other Keys (thus avoiding that pesky drop off charge). The drive is amazing, especially when driving over those bridges. That is why they call it the "Overseas Highway".

You should check with the Hyatt Windward to find out if they have any public transportation into downtown Key West and you wouldn't need to rent anything (everything is walkable for most folks in the business district). When I stayed in Key West I walked everywhere for the entire week (but I did stay in old Key West).

Last edited:

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2

Golf carts have the same problem as cars. Parking. Hard to find in the popular areas, and not cheap spaces. And carts can not cross the bridge to Stock Island. I personally would not keep a rental car for the entire stay. We have rented one for a day trip up the Keys and the agency delivered the car. There are other ways to get around Key West, bikes, taxi, bus (takes a bit of planing) and once your in the service area area the Duval Street Loop (free). Eaton and White probably being the closest stop. Where you are located, BH is a easy walk to Stock Island and shopping on Roosevelt.