• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean City, MD 2021

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
We didn't discover OC till we were well into adulthood, so we're not that sentimental about it...we just like it. One thing that's great compared to the Jersey Shore or Cape Cod is that it's all one long beach. No fussing with different tags or parking permits.

I can see liking it compared to Jersey beaches. I am not going to complain about a long weekend in OC, but give me a week away from work and the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, or HHI all have more allure and better accommodation options that are easier to book.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I can see liking it compared to Jersey beaches. I am not going to complain about a long weekend in OC, but give me a week away from work and the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, or HHI all have more allure and better accommodation options that are easier to book.

Agreed. We just spent 10 days in North Myrtle Beach recently, and have a timeshare week in the Outer Banks in the fall. We usually only spend long weekends in OCMD in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I agree too but until this year I was travelling with a 100 year old and long car rides required extra hotel rooms for stops on the way or back or travelling through the night which meant losing a day at the beginning and/or end. We did do 3 weeks in OC, 3 weeks in Myrtle, 1 week in HH, 1 week in Regal Vistas, and 1 week in NC last summer. Also this year I have a 15 year old still in school at home plus some doctor's appointment that would not be possible with stays further out. We left at 5pm tonight. Stopped for dinner on the way home. Sorted mail and restocked things for my sons, have a doctors appointment and some errands in the morning and will be back in OC before 4pm tomorrow.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree too but until this year I was travelling with a 100 year old and long car rides required extra hotel rooms for stops on the way or back or travelling through the night which meant losing a day at the beginning and/or end. We did do 3 weeks in OC, 3 weeks in Myrtle, 1 week in HH, 1 week in Regal Vistas, and 1 week in NC last summer. Also this year I have a 15 year old still in school at home plus some doctor's appointment that would not be possible with stays further out. We left at 5pm tonight. Stopped for dinner on the way home. Sorted mail and restocked things for my sons, have a doctors appointment and some errands in the morning and will be back in OC before 4pm tomorrow.

Right, Ocean City is less than four hours from us...and a fairly easy four hours. Cape Cod is five hours on paper, but it always ends up being much longer bc of traffic, construction, tiny roads, and the fact that every rental turns over on Saturday!

My DH is retiring soon, so now we will have more time to check out Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, and points south.

I salute you! That's an ambitious trip!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
[QUOTE="tschwa2, post: 2619733, member: 32728"

There are many nicer or as nice places on the east coast and some are less expensive. I too worked 2 summers in OC as a teen and went to Salisbury University (for a boy) about 30 miles away for the first 2 years before coming home (for a different boy) to graduate at UMBC.
[/QUOTE]

My wife's aunt was in the first graduating class there, and my daughter is going to enter her sophomore year in the fall.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes Gold Key sold their timeshare division but kept their retail and residential management business in Virginia Beach.
Yes, but I would also add that the Owner / CEO of Gold Key used the revenue from the Gold Key sale to complete the Cavalier Hotel project and the new and deluxe Marriott property across the street in VB. So it's almost like he flipped one group of properties for the other. It is interesting to consider the pretty significant impact that he personally has had on the entire VB Boardwalk / Oceanfront over the last 2 decades.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Back to my week 2 in OC, MD. Ride home on Thursday evening 6/10 was easy and uneventful. We stopped for dinner at Red Lobster in Salisbury near the mall off the 50 cut off. We had some gift cards to use up. I usually like the ultimate feast but it was just ok. The only thing that was cooked improperly was the lobster tail which was tiny and pathetic and overcooked. Everything else was cooked well but just blah.

After some errands and appointments at home we headed back to OC. There was rain, heavy at times, light at times. Apparently it was enough to cause the dreaded back up at the Bay bridge. The sign suggested the backup would be about 45 minutes. It was closer to an hour. Starting at the Severn bridge and ending as soon as you got on the bay bridge.

Pizza at Billy pizza and sub shop which was recommended by my sister in law's mother but our vegi pizza was also just ok at $21 for a large onion, black olive, green pepper, and mushroom pizza. The crust was good. Way too many onions.

Saturday. We had been shopping at Food Lion in Delaware over the rt 54 bridge about 10 minutes away. The prices were decent and it is less crowded than the closer Food lion on 120th st. They didn't have the best selection so this week we decided to try the Harris Teeters which was another 2 minutes down the road. When in the Outer Banks the Harris Teeter was much more expensive but we decided that if enough things were out of wack we would go back to food lion. HT was a little more expensive but not for everything and had a much nicer selection of meat, baked goods and bread and produce. When we were home he stopped by the local butcher Trueth's which services many restaurants within a 50 mile radius and picked up a NY strip and some porkchops which we brought back with us. Saturday like most nights after dinner we bring our chairs to the beach around 7pm and have a combo of sit and walk until the sun sets around 8:30. There were several bonfires which you can easily apply for a permit online for $75 for anywhere above 30th st.

On Sunday our big outing was to Phillips buffet. Haven't been there since I worked there 30 years ago this year. I had head even 20 years ago that they weren't as good as they once were. But at $38 including drinks (4 off for early bird), I was willing to give it a try. We parked and walked the upper boardwalk on a gloriously beautiful afternoon for about an hour before the weekend only buffet opened at 3:30pm. For a price similar to ultimate feast at Red lobster with drinks it wasn't bad. Some of it was quite good. Most of the shrimp- steamed and breaded were overcooked. I had my first crawfish and had the rawbar attendant give me a quick lesson on how to peal and eat. The didn't have crab legs but they had small hard shell crabs that didn't have enough seasoning but weren't empty and for crabs I would give them 6.5. Desert bar was included and was small but good. If you have had the buffet at the Bonfire or Embers, it was at least as good if not slightly better. My husband said he wouldn't mind going again next weekend but I am leaning against that. After we did another 5 blocks on the boardwalk to walk off the food and then crossed the highway to walk along the bayside. Outside of Fish tails bar and restaurant, they had Adirondack chairs to watch the boats. There was someone doing SUP with a perfectly still dog on the back riding along. The restaurant had spaces for boats to pull up and was pet friendly so we saw some other cute dogs on the boats.

That brings us to today where are plans including mini golf, a happy hour drink at one of the walk to bars, dinner of pork chops and a walk on the beach at sunset.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Planning a day trip from ocean city. We have done most of the boat rides from ocean city on other trips- some many times: Assateague nature cruise, sunset cruise, half day fishing charter, 2 and 4 hour pontoon rentals and kayak rentals. Looking to explore a new area.

Has anyone done one of the nature cruises to Chincoteague from Chincoteague, VA or spend a day in Crisfield, MD (don't think we have enough time to visit Tangier or Smith Island)?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Planning a day trip from ocean city. We have done most of the boat rides from ocean city on other trips- some many times: Assateague nature cruise, sunset cruise, half day fishing charter, 2 and 4 hour pontoon rentals and kayak rentals. Looking to explore a new area.

Has anyone done one of the nature cruises to Chincoteague from Chincoteague, VA or spend a day in Crisfield, MD (don't think we have enough time to visit Tangier or Smith Island)?

IIRC the drive to Chincoteague island is about an hour or thereabouts. There’s an airforce base with a visitors area right before you enter the marsh and inlet area toward the island. They often launch rockets from that base and the Thunderbirds often run test flights from that base, pretty cool to see them though it’s hard to find out if/when they are flying.’ Worth a look either way.

There’s also the state park on the outer side of Chincoteague with beaches and walking trails. On Chincoteague there are kayak rentals and boating island tours available. You can often see the wild ponies when kayaking or on the boat tours. Several restaurants on the island as well. Definitely worth a day trip if you are looking to get away from OCMD for the day. Best to do so during the week to avoid the crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score

Haven't done the cruise but I've been on the Chincoteague and Assateague Island NWR many times, it's one of our favorite day and one-night trips from Hampton Roads.
Great place to ride ebikies !