• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco - hearing aids

mrsstats

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband needs hearing aids. Price from the doctor was around $5,000 a pair for the high end. Costco is about 1/2 the price. Has anyone used them and would you again?
TIA

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do a TUG search. It's been discussed fairly frequently. Many have gotten their aids from Costco and seem satisfied. I got mine through VA, so can't compare with Costco personally.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As you research the thread already mentioned, I'll add my two cents: Costco hearing aids are among the best you can buy anywhere, and for a fraction of the price. With the generous return policy, you have absolutely nothing to lose. If you aren't satisfied for any reason, you can return them for a full refund. Just be sure you upgrade your Costco Membership to an Executive Membership before the purchase. You'll receive a 2% rebate on the purchase, saving you even more. And if you use the Costco Citi Visa card for the purchase, you'll get another rebate, and an extension on the hearing aid warranty. Win-win-win.

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My brother in law bought Costco hearing aids. They have blue tooth so he can listen to music. Other than phone calls, he really doesn't use them to hear people talk that much.

Bill

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
My husband needs hearing aids. Price from the doctor was around $5,000 a pair for the high end. Costco is about 1/2 the price. Has anyone used them and would you again?
TIA
Not sure why, but your TUG posting was initially providing no way to reply to your query. I have Costco hearing aids (my second set in 8 years), and I absolutely endorse them. A lot may depend on your technologist, though, but Costo in our area seems to have done a fine job in selecting theirs.
One other thing...When you do buy, it will pay you to sign up the executive membership. The cash back from this will more than pay for that membership, and you then continue to get extra rewards as you spend...especially if you also get the Costco credit card.
Hope this helps. --Bob Park

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another endorsement for Costco Hearing aids. I heard from others they paid between $6000 and 12,000 for theirs. A friend got his through VA and they were good as well.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another satisfied Costco customer . I lost one hearing device on a cruise in Egypt several years ago. Costco replace the hearing aide at no cost to me. I am totally satisfied with their service.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Costco hearing aids have worked out to the same cost as V.A. -- free.

That's because it turns out my supplemental health insurance will pay up to $2,500 every 2 years for hearing aids. As it happens, the cost of my outstanding new Costco ReSound hearing aids totaled $2,498. So it was the same out-of-pocket cost as V.A. but in a more convenient location with a less bureaucratic & more commercial ambiance.

My only gripe with the ReSound digital hearing aids from Costco (& it's a minor gripe) is that the little rubber shrouds that center the receiver in the ear canal don't stay on reliably. It could be my fault, I don't know. When replacing the tiny wax guard that goes in the downstream end of the receiver, I sometimes manage to shorten the part of the receiver that the rubber shroud fits onto. The shroud goes on OK, but does not stay onto the little part I pushed in & shortened. Fortunately, the device works OK without a rubber shroud, but the shroud situation is a (minor) nuisance that I did not experience with Starkey digital hearing aids from V.A. Only way I can get the ReSound shroud situation squared away is to go back to Costco. They fix it, but it doesn't always stay fixed. So it goes.

Nice feature of the Costco ReSound hearing aids is an iPhone app that plays cell phone audio directly through my hearing aids wirelessly -- Blue Tooth or some such. The cell phone app also provides for adjusting hearing aid settings (volume, balance, etc.) via the iPhone touch screen. It's convenient & gives good audio quality for phone calls, podcasts, recorded music, internet audio, & so forth. I doubt ReSound is the only kind with that feature. No doubt all the top hearing aid companies keep coming up with improvements & advancements.

Hearing restoration has not been perfect with digital hearing aids, not Starkey (V.A.) & not ReSound (Costco). But it has been very good & I am better off with it than without in in my several years of experience.

BTW, the reason I quit using my V.A. Starkey hearing aids is that I lost 1 at a large outdoor event. I didn't realize it was missing until I was in the car driving back to the hotel afterward, meaning that hearing aid was forever gone-gone-gone. When I phoned for a new appointment with V.A. Audiology, I found out V.A. criteria had changed & I was no longer eligible. So goodbye, V.A. Hello, Costco.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a physician who wears hearing aids, I'll probably get my next set from them. My wife and I both wear them, high end Resound. The last I looked they did not have the smallest ones, just the next size up but it's been a year or so. I have a fellow physician who got them at Costco as his first set about 2 years ago and is happy. I'm told they're proprietary and thus other audiologists can't work with them or make changes to them but haven't confirmed this.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
......Nice feature of the Costco ReSound hearing aids is an iPhone app that plays cell phone audio directly through my hearing aids wirelessly -- Blue Tooth or some such. The cell phone app also provides for adjusting hearing aid settings (volume, balance, etc.) via the iPhone touch screen. It's convenient & gives good audio quality for phone calls, podcasts, recorded music, internet audio, & so forth. I doubt ReSound is the only kind with that feature. No doubt all the top hearing aid companies keep coming up with improvements & advancements......

Hi Alan,

You are correct, all the Major Hearing Aid Manufacturers have iOs (Apple) and Android Apps that pair with many of their hearing aid models via
Bluetooth that allows for connectivity for phone calls, podcasts, recorded music, internet audio and Television audio. These Apps also allow the user to make certain hearing aid adjustments such as changing the volume or reducing background noise or changing programs. Some models have Tinnitus Programs that can be activated by the Apps to help lessen the annoyance of Tinnitus. These certainly are not your grandparents hearing aids.

Best Regards,

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...... I'm told they're proprietary and thus other audiologists can't work with them or make changes to them but haven't confirmed this...
Hi Dean,

I'm a retired Ph.D Audiologist and worked in a variety of settings, including the VA for 30 years and am proud to have worked with veterans.

You were given accurate information that hearing aids purchased at Costco are proprietary and cannot be programmed or adjusted elsewhere - it has to be done at Costco.

I forgot to add in my previous reply to Alan Cole, that some hearing aid models are Rechargeable and do not require batteries and other models require batteries.

Good Luck in gour decisions.

Richard

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I forgot to add in my previous reply to Alan Cole, that some hearing aid models are Rechargeable and do not require batteries and other models require batteries.
My Costco digital ReSound hearing aids conveniently take the same size mini-button zinc-air batteries that worked my V.A. digital Starkey hearing aids -- the batteries in the brown packages.

That means I can use leftover V.A. batteries power my current Costco hearing aids. (Waste not, want not.)

After I run out of V.A. batteries, I can buy more at Costco or Walmart or Amazon, etc. -- maybe even eBay.

Is this a great country or what ?

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My Costco digital ReSound hearing aids conveniently take the same size mini-button zinc-air batteries that worked my V.A. digital Starkey hearing aids -- the batteries in the brown packages.

That means I can use leftover V.A. batteries power my current Costco hearing aids. (Waste not, want not.)

After that, I can buy more at Costco or Walmart or Amazon, etc. -- maybe even eBay.

Is this a great country or what ?

Alan is talking about size 312 Zinc-Air batteries.

Richard

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradisus Palma Real and Club Solaris Los Cabos
They sell older models though, not the newest technology.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You might want to check your research. Costco offers lesser models, for those who need a lower price point. But they definitely do sell top of the line stuff, too.

Dave

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to check your research. Costco offers lesser models, for those who need a lower price point. But they definitely do sell top of the line stuff, too.

Dave
When Looked 2 years ago they had high end options but not the top, specifically not the smallest units which was what my wife wanted. That could have changed, things like this change fairly often.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Here’s just one informative conversation on another forum I follow about Costco’s newest model

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When Looked 2 years ago they had high end options but not the top, specifically not the smallest units which was what my wife wanted. That could have changed, things like this change fairly often.
Hi Dean,

As you probably know, there are several major categories of hearing aid styles - Receiver-In-the-Canal (RIC) Hearing Aids, Behind-the-Ear (BTE) Hearing Aids, In-the-Ear (ITE) Hearing Aids, and Canal Hearing Aids. While different models are different sizes, I think your wife wants Canal-style hearing aids. Some Canal-style hearing have dual-microphones which are absolutely essential for noise reduction (groups, restaurants, parties) and some are not due to size constraints. One needs to make a choice between size and performance. Certain features are eliminated the smaller a hearing aid is, one being the hearing aids cannot communicate with each other and have to be adjusted separately. Also power (gain) is limited, Bluetooth may or may not be available and the number of programs is limited. There's not just one best hearing aid - many factors need to be considered.

Richard

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
So I have read thru this thread.

We are going back tomorrow to the office of the ENT to meet with a person about hearing aids.
I assume they will go thru the options with us (for my husband) and then we say we will think about it. Kind of like a timeshare presentation?

After this appt we will make an appt at Costco to purchase the style that is most comfortable for him.
Does this sound about right?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have read thru this thread.

We are going back tomorrow to the office of the ENT to meet with a person about hearing aids.
I assume they will go thru the options with us (for my husband) and then we say we will think about it. Kind of like a timeshare presentation?

After this appt we will make an appt at Costco to purchase the style that is most comfortable for him.
Does this sound about right?
This is what we were planning a few years ago for my DH. We went to the audiologist who had worked with my MIL; she had very serious hearing loss. The audiologist spent a lot of time w DH and recommended some aids that did seem excellent. Then we went to Costco...and the audiologist there said that his hearing loss was not enough to warrant hearing aids! So we held off, and now he's going back in July for another test.

The private audiologist was great, but part of the premium that my MIL paid was for his patience and accessibility when she had problems. Our Costco hearing department is intense. DH is waiting about eight weeks to get an appointment.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Our Costco hearing department is intense. DH is waiting about eight weeks to get an appointment.

Is there another Costco you can visit? Eight weeks seems like a long time for something like this.

Dave

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there another Costco you can visit? Eight weeks seems like a long time for something like this.

Dave

There are two others fairly close...but they're even more packed than ours! We live in northern NJ. We've been to Costcos in other places and they are absolutely peaceful compared to ours. Anyway, we were thinking it would be a long wait for the evaluation and fitting, but then adjustments would not need such a long wait.