• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AirBNB as a TS rental platform

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Plus VRBO charges twice as much as Airbnb - 6% vs. 3%.
OK. but what about extra charges the renter has to pay? Do they increase the total cost to the renter...and make that posting less attractive?

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
So, something similar to what @bobpark56 is asking. I just noticed playing with the preview for the Airbnb listing. There is my per night cost and then a "Service fee" and "Occupancy taxes and fees." Should I just put in the amount I want to receive in the per night cost? Are all the other expenses such as their 3% and credit card transaction fees handled by Airbnb? Or do I need to include the 3% cut Airbnb will take and as bobpark56 is saying the other two fees are additional even to that? Hummmm....

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Robert D! I had found the cancellation policy and the check-in / check-out times. I included the Airbnb fee in my per night cost. Maybe I should consider doing that differently. I am always a little nervous when platforms don't seem to be set up for the way I am trying to use them. That is one of the nice things about Koala, there is really no, "hum, wonder if I am setting this correctly," concerns. :) Well I will give it a go and see what happens. Thank you for the help!
There is a learning curve with Airbnb like anything else but it's well worth it. You're now on the best rental platform on the planet. I've never heard of Koala and suspect a very small % of the population has heard of it but everyone knows Airbnb. That said, my experience is that people on Airbnb don't book as far in advance as the timeshare sites like Redweek or myresortnetwork. I've rented 11 weeks to date for the 2021 holidays and 2022 ski season and only one has been from Airbnb with almost all of them being repeat customers and two being myresortnetwork. So, don't be concerned if your Airbnb listing doesn't get a lot of immediate action if the check in date is far in the future. As you get closer to the check-in date, you'll get a ton of hits on Airbnb if your have it priced right and have a good listing.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK. but what about extra charges the renter has to pay? Do they increase the total cost to the renter...and make that posting less attractive?
From what I've seen, VRBO charges the guest about the same % as Airbnb, although I have to say I haven't looked at VRBO in over a year. I just know that I get a ton of business from Airbnb and the cost to me is half of what VRBO charges. I think it's pretty arrogant of VRBO to think they can charge the landlord double what the biggest rental machine on the planet is charging but apparently, they're doing ok with it. I think they have a fraction of the listings that Airbnb has and the quantity and variety of supply is a critical factor in drawing guests to the site.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should also look at the cancelation terms as I think it defaults to Flexible which means the guest can cancel at any time. I use Strict terms which means they get a 50% refund if they cancel at least 7 days prior to check in and no refund if they cancel inside of 7 days to check in
Hi
I was setting up a listing for the 1st time last night but I can't seem to find where to set the cancellation policy.

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
@byeloe I found it after I completed the listing. Below is an image that shows how to get to it. It is under the listing tab for your account.
1622032901175.png

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I published my first two Airbnb listings this morning...appreciate everyone's expertise and coaching...love having this additional resource. Will report back on activity.

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
@byeloe I can't say for certain, but I did. There may be a way to set it before you publish, but it is pretty easy to do after.

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Okay, I now have three listings on Airbnb. I am guessing I have done something wrong(ish), because even though they say listed, I can't manage to find any search (including exact dates) that show them. I am searching from a different browser that I am not logged into. I guess I will have to snoop around the settings and try to figure out what is up.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I now have three listings on Airbnb. I am guessing I have done something wrong(ish), because even though they say listed, I can't manage to find any search (including exact dates) that show them. I am searching from a different browser that I am not logged into. I guess I will have to snoop around the settings and try to figure out what is up.
Best way to search is to use the map and zoom in on the map to where your place is located. I always click on the setting to show the exact location of the condo so that it will show in that spot on the map.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had thought I posted my Lagunamar listing, but now airbnb has locked my account, they want a utility bill with my name and the property address??
This process is a bit ridiculous

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I had thought I posted my Lagunamar listing, but now airbnb has locked my account, they want a utility bill with my name and the property address??

I am trying to reinstate my account as well. Going thru this exact same thing.
I’m a points owner do this is even more difficult to prove than a weeks owner.
Not finding to Timeshare friendlier as the brothers are saying. Have some kinks to work out.

We will see, about ready to throw in the towel

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not finding to Timeshare friendlier as the brothers are saying. Have some kinks to work out.

We will see, about ready to throw in the towel
I think I will stick to Redweek, Koala, TUG and Facebook

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I will stick to Redweek, Koala, TUG and Facebook
I've been renting timeshares for over 12 years. Over the past year, I've generated more than 5X of rental dollars (over $87K) on Airbnb than I did on Redweek, Myresortnetwork, and TUG combined. Airbnb is labor intensive but once you get setup on it you won't have the startup problems you're seeing. Just using websites because they're easy is like going to a restaurant with bad food because there's never a wait. I didn't know that Facebook does rentals. When did that start?

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been renting timeshares for over 12 years. Over the past year, I've generated more than 5X of rental dollars (over $87K) on Airbnb than I did on Redweek, Myresortnetwork, and TUG combined. Airbnb is labor intensive but once you get setup on it you won't have the startup problems you're seeing. Just using websites because they're easy is like going to a restaurant with bad food because there's never a wait. I didn't know that Facebook does rentals. When did that start?
airbnb, wants a utility bill in my name for the listing, which is impossible.
Facebook has several owner's groups where posting a rental is possible

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you have to explain to them that you are renting a timeshare week and send them a copy of your deed or better yet the reservation that's in your name.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you have to explain to them that you are renting a timeshare week and send them a copy of your deed or better yet the reservation that's in your name.
I tried telling them that it's a timeshare week, but they seem not to understand that

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I didn't know that Facebook does rentals. When did that start?
People use Facebook groups to rent out or rent timeshare weeks/inventory. Groups like Marriott Buy, Sell & Rent. Or something like that. You just say what you have and name your price. People are there looking for weeks to rent. Kind of like the old newspaper classified section.

josegm888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndam Grand Desert; Bonnet Creek
1) Block out all calendar dates EXCEPT your dates.
2) Make there reservation days min and max both the same as the time you have available (so people can't book part of a stay they can only book a full stay).

I was having the same dilemma but you can do special seasonal booking; doesn’t have to be the same min and max lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
......I was recently approached by AirBNB Ambassadors who are looking for TS rentals to post via AirBNB. Figured I had nothing to lose so I would try it

........ So with AirBNB I put the listing up Friday night, and by Sunday early it was rented. So I had not considered AirBNB, but I am rethinking it now. If you want the Ambassador Info for the guys I used, PM and I will provide the contact.

the AirBNB Ambassador seems to be the new access for TS rentals

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Not finding to Timeshare friendlier as the brothers are saying. Have some kinks to work out.We will see, about ready to throw in the towel

@Sandy VDH mentioned an AirBNB Ambassador- and that she could PM information to other TUG members.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having a problem on AirBnB. I am unable to get access to my calendar to set my dates. First, I tried setting the to "unavailable by default." AirBnB showed my thumnails of calendars for May, June, and July, but they are grayed out and when I click on them, nothing happens. Then, I tried setting all dates available for three months planning to indivually block dates.) The calendar thumbnails were no longer grayed our, but when I clicked on them, again, nothing happened. Also, there is place way to price each night, just to set a base price.

I am on the "Calendar Availability" section of the "Pricing and availability" tab. Is there some other calendar section where I set the dates and price? Any other ideas?
airbNB screenshot.jpg

I, too, would like to contact the Timeshare Ambassador -- Sandy VDH, I will send you a PM.

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
@JudyS That one took me a while to find as well. at the top, there is a calendar "tab." Once you set up a listing the calendar is all adjusted through that tab.
Screenshot 2021-05-31 12.24.49 PM.png