• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DC point inventory challenges

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
I wanted to ask for everyone's personal experiences as to what weeks/seasons/locations have been the most difficult or impossible to book using DC points. I'm thinking like things you've tried to get right at 13 or 12 months and it's already gone or places that don't have limited DC point inventory because of high deeded week ownership. I'm wondering long term, so mostly pre covid. Thank you everyone for your input!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am a DP owner and Presidential level.Ritz Carlton is hard to get for a full week, even 13 months out. I have gotten full weeks (actually 8 nights) at both Ritz Carltons in Lake Tahoe and St Thomas but it was less than 12 or 13 months out. I think I got both at about 10 months out, maybe less. I have noticed Costa Rica is hard to book. To get a full week, you need to book at 13 months out. Spain is also hard to book in their peak spring/summer months and they do not release inventory at 13 months.

Last edited:

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean platinum
Spain is also hard to book in their peak spring/summer months and they do not release inventory at 13 months.
If inventory isn't released 13 or even 12 months out, when is it? Is it possible to know exactly when a class of inventory is made available, or is it always a crap shoot?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
For past couple of years, Marbella/Spain inventory loaded 2 days earlier than published 12 month release date and also in the early afternoon Eastern US time. Nothing ever earlier. Not at all as published on the release calendar, but consistent nonetheless. I assume only 13 month bookers can grab ressies for those first 2 days, but who knows as I am able to book in the 13 month window.

I try to look a month or so before I plan to book something to see the inventory release pattern, so I know what to expect when my window opens. It’s too bad everything is not released exactly as published.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I wanted to ask for everyone's personal experiences as to what weeks/seasons/locations have been the most difficult or impossible to book using DC points. I'm thinking like things you've tried to get right at 13 or 12 months and it's already gone or places that don't have limited DC point inventory because of high deeded week ownership. I'm wondering long term, so mostly pre covid. Thank you everyone for your input!
That is a very general question. The same hard to get weeks will generally be the same with DC points, in some cases harder, as you note, because owners won't want to trade for DC points.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is a very general question. The same hard to get weeks will generally be the same with DC points, in some cases harder, as you note, because owners won't want to trade for DC points.
I was looking for the groups individual experiences. I thought it would be a good discussion to have. Making it more specific would defeat the purpose.

Also, since weeks and points are different inventory, availability can be quite different. There are resorts that are mostly deeded weeks and newer resorts where weeks were never sold.

If you have any personal experiences, I'd love to hear them.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ritz St Thomas, looking for it now at 13 months out! Been looking for a while. I have seen no evidence that inventory is actually released there at 13 months right now, despite what MVCI told me. I found Playa Andaluza 2BR+ a little tough for summer. I had to waitlist as I never did see points availability the year I tried it. Thus far using points, I have yet to fail with enough persistence. But, I have not gone for ultimate hardest weeks.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If inventory isn't released 13 or even 12 months out, when is it? Is it possible to know exactly when a class of inventory is made available, or is it always a crap shoot?

In my experience with booking Spain pre-Covid, it is tough to get peak summer months from May through September for a full week. For example, right now for May 2022, there are only a handful of individual days available. However from Nov 2021 - Apr 2022, everything is open.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Right now it's probably even worse with the glut of points everyone has.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I was looking for the groups individual experiences. I thought it would be a good discussion to have. Making it more specific would defeat the purpose.

Also, since weeks and points are different inventory, availability can be quite different. There are resorts that are mostly deeded weeks and newer resorts where weeks were never sold.

If you have any personal experiences, I'd love to hear them.
I understand where you are coming from. It is just that there are millions of potential combinations of locations, view categories and particular weeks/ seasons. For example Ritz in Tahoe in February in a 2BR will be imminently more difficult than a studio in May or October.

While there are certainly outliers, the most popular resorts/seasons will be the hardest to get in either system. Some have already posted vague responses about locations, without specifying room size, dates, and view categories. These will affect availability in most cases, more than the difference between points and weeks.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the discussion can be useful if re-framed in terms of when inventory is released. I am not convinced all resorts follow the simplistic inventory release calendar on the MVCI site. I've been following Ritz St Thomas studio or larger as my specific non vague example and have seen no evidence there is any inventory at 13 months, at least the past 4 weeks. This is at the supposed release time, 9AM and also many times of day and night. Even though supposedly it's released on Tuesday, seen no difference any day as I check them all. Maybe Ritz St Thomas has no inventory to release at 13 months. Or, it could be it's just extremely limited and maybe many weeks are 0. I have discussed this with Traveltime previously, and, she seems to have seen the same when she got her reservation. It is odd one could reserve at 10 months, but not 12 or 13.

It would be nice to actually have a release calendar by resort. I have seen others post about different schedules for a few resorts, don't know if they are factual or not. But all Marriott says is they are all released on Tuesday at 9AM, 13 month inventory.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Right now it's probably even worse with the glut of points everyone has.

Since I have so many points, I am booking more expensive things than I normally would. For example, I just booked a 2 BR ocean view penthouse during Easter week, which is a premium time. Better to have an amazing experience than lose the points.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I understand where you are coming from. It is just that there are millions of potential combinations of locations, view categories and particular weeks/ seasons. For example Ritz in Tahoe in February in a 2BR will be imminently more difficult than a studio in May or October.

While there are certainly outliers, the most popular resorts/seasons will be the hardest to get in either system. Some have already posted vague responses about locations, without specifying room size, dates, and view categories. These will affect availability in most cases, more than the difference between points and weeks.

There are no studios at the Ritz Carlton Residence Club in Lake Tahoe. There are only 2, 3 and 4 bedrooms. We were lucky to reserve a 2 BR for 8 nights during Spring Break this year (thank you Covid). There are only two 2BR suites and they are hard to get since they require fewer points.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the discussion can be useful if re-framed in terms of when inventory is released. I am not convinced all resorts follow the simplistic inventory release calendar on the MVCI site. I've been following Ritz St Thomas studio or larger as my specific non vague example and have seen no evidence there is any inventory at 13 months, at least the past 4 weeks. This is at the supposed release time, 9AM and also many times of day and night. Even though supposedly it's released on Tuesday, seen no difference any day as I check them all. Maybe Ritz St Thomas has no inventory to release at 13 months. Or, it could be it's just extremely limited and maybe many weeks are 0. I have discussed this with Traveltime previously, and, she seems to have seen the same when she got her reservation. It is odd one could reserve at 10 months, but not 12 or 13.

It would be nice to actually have a release calendar by resort. I have seen others post about different schedules for a few resorts, don't know if they are factual or not. But all Marriott says is they are all released on Tuesday at 9AM, 13 month inventory.

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. There does not seem to be a universal release schedule. I have had the best luck booking the Ritz Carltons at way less than 12 months. But when I am interested in staying at one of the Ritz Carltons, I will check back frequently. For the reservation I had this Spring Break, I first booked 5 nights when it appeared and then I added 3 nights when it appeared. Since they only have two 2 BRs, they were able to let us stay in the same unit for the entire time. It was amazing. We had a two bedroom facing the mountains and the ski lift. It was very quiet though and we did not hear the ski lift at all.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I don't like is how everything is released as a 7 night stay and not 1 night at a time. That's supposed to be a benefit at certain levels. They are manipulating the supply unfairly IMO.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is very general when looking across the entire system as it varies by locations and resort. Normally Xmas/NY is touch for most locations as is weeks 25-27 for many places. When there are event weeks, that causes specific availability issues. Jan to early April is touch for warm weather places esp Spring Break. If you look at the MVC points charts and II TDI, that will give you a general idea of demand.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I don't like is how everything is released as a 7 night stay and not 1 night at a time. That's supposed to be a benefit at certain levels. They are manipulating the supply unfairly IMO.
Are you referring specifically to Ritz Carlton or other resorts?
I have only recently successfully booked multiple single nights at MVC resorts in both Europe and Asia with DC points.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you referring specifically to Ritz Carlton or other resorts?
I have only recently successfully booked multiple single nights at MVC resorts in both Europe and Asia with DC points.
Not Ritz. For example, next May on Hilton Head, I can get 1-6 nights at Harbor/Sunset Point, but not at the other ones. The rest are only 7 nights. Of course they let you book 12 nights. It's that darn Sunday through Thursday that they don't like/allow.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is very general when looking across the entire system as it varies by locations and resort. Normally Xmas/NY is touch for most locations as is weeks 25-27 for many places. When there are event weeks, that causes specific availability issues. Jan to early April is touch for warm weather places esp Spring Break. If you look at the MVC points charts and II TDI, that will give you a general idea of demand.
I was really just looking for anecdotal stories. For instance, "I've been trying to get Aruba for presidents week for xxx years and haven't had any luck."

I've been using the MVC system since the 90s. I was really just looking to foster a discussion, not try to learn how points work in 5 posts or less. If you have any stories like that you can look back on, I'd love to hear about them!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found the release dates to vary significantly between resorts and seasons. Many resorts only release studios or garden view (often only 3br) at 13 months, although some release the others prior to 12 month. We typically plan our vacations well in advance and travel shoulder or low seasons, so it's not just occurring during high season. Hilton Head resorts in Jan or Feb and MCV in March have been doing this for at least the past 3 yr. Release dates appear to be just a 'suggestion'. I usually start searching about a week prior to 13 mo., and check 6 or 7 night intervals.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just booked 15 nights at the Ritz Carlton in St Thomas. It’s 13 months out right now for next June. I have never been able to book there so easily and for so many nights.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just booked 15 nights at the Ritz Carlton in St Thomas. It’s 13 months out right now for next June. I have never been able to book there so easily and for so many nights.
Wow, that's great! Did you reserve right at 9am?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Just FYI, based on my experiences when I've reserved Maui weeks with points, the points inventory has loaded by midnight (12:01AM) on the 12 month release day, not at 9:00AM. I got a 1BR OF for next February in Lahaina/Napili villas at midnight this past February. By 9am the next morning, there was much less available, and no OF. I have not looked at midnight on the 13 month release day to see if the same thing happens, but I do know that at 9AM on the 13 month release day this past February, there was no inventory available for our February 2022 dates. That's why I tried at midnight on the 12 month date and as has always been the case in the past for me, the inventory was available as the clock rolled over. As I recall, it may have even already been loaded a few minutes before midnight, but don't recall precisely on that, but I do seem to have a recollection that I was able to book before midnight.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Did you have to pay a points premium for reserving with points at the 13 month mark?