• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bill & Melinda Gates getting divorced

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
This is very sad. They are/were an inspiration to me in many ways.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wow, that is really surprising. Goes to show that even in a marriage where money was no object, there can be trouble.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Damn! And I already have my trophy wife, if Melinda's waiting for somebody like me!

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mid-Late life crisis ;) Reminds me of a group that I used to work in. The director of the group decided to dump his wife for a cute young staff who worked for him. HR and his own boss closed their eyes to it. The group was very cliquey, me being the outsider because I did not like any of them. Whenever they got together I would overhear them discussing along the line of "time to find someone younger". Every male in the group who worked for him followed suit, each one picking up a younger girlfriend and divorced their wives. The only male who in the end did not divorce his wife had openly mentioned to me "I have been married for too long, time for a change". A month later, he was diagnosed with bladder cancer and stayed in his marriage simply because of that and died a couple of years later. I don't think his wife knew of his intentions.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I was caught by surprise with this headline earlier today. Did not see this coming. Then again, I don't know the couple other than through headlines and my 80's impressions of early Microsoft.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was caught by surprise with this headline earlier today. Did not see this coming. Then again, I don't know the couple other than through headlines and my 80's impressions of early Microsoft.

She caught his eye when she was an executive at Microsoft. She was a millionaire in her own right before the wedding. I don't think it was a marriage for status or social climbing. I think they truly cared for each other, in ways that only Microsoft insiders could imagine. I mean, come on: This was a guy who rented AN ENTIRE ISLAND IN HAWAII for his wedding.

And now, just like other people, after a time, they've changed, life has moved on, or maybe other priorities got in the way. 27 years together is still an achievement in this day and age. No idea which of them decided they were done, but I kind of don't blame them, if they're not happy. $130 Billion in Bill's bank account does kind of complicate things, though. But I suspect they'll work it out. Maybe they even had a Pre-nup.

I just hope the Gates Foundation can continue to do the incredible philanthropic work it does.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Washington is a Community Property State. So Melinda Gates might end up as one of the riches women in the world if not the riches.

Did you notice how much the current Ms Besos looks like the former Me Besos at a younger age? Reminds me of Johnny Carson. About every 10 years he would trade in his current wife for a younger version of herself.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
And now, just like other people, after a time, they've changed, life has moved on, or maybe other priorities got in the way. 27 years together is still an achievement in this day and age. No idea which of them decided they were done, but I kind of don't blame them, if they're not happy. $130 Billion in Bill's bank account does kind of complicate things, though. But I suspect they'll work it out. Maybe they even had a Pre-nup.

I just hope the Gates Foundation can continue to do the incredible philanthropic work it does.
The joint announcement today indicated that they will continue to work together to keep the Foundation doing it's valuable work. After 27 years, they have reared and influenced their kids and now, maybe it's time to move on and not be joined at the hip to each other. I wish them well.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Wow, that is really surprising. Goes to show that even in a marriage where money was no object, there can be trouble.

Dave
Curious why you were surprised. I knew nothing about their relationship behind closed doors.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Curious why you were surprised. I knew nothing about their relationship behind closed doors.
Nothing concrete, of course. The few photos made available to the media suggested, to me, a compatible couple taking delight in their philanthropic projects together. I'm going only by their body language and facial expressions towards one another. Compatible. I figured that would "stick."

bush_medal_bill_and_melinda_gates.jpg

160308152428-bill-melinda-gates-780x439.jpg

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I can see it now... "Bill, you haven't done anything innovative in years."

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Mid-Late life crisis ;) Reminds me of a group that I used to work in. The director of the group decided to dump his wife for a cute young staff who worked for him. HR and his own boss closed their eyes to it. The group was very cliquey, me being the outsider because I did not like any of them. Whenever they got together I would overhear them discussing along the line of "time to find someone younger". Every male in the group who worked for him followed suit, each one picking up a younger girlfriend and divorced their wives. The only male who in the end did not divorce his wife had openly mentioned to me "I have been married for too long, time for a change". A month later, he was diagnosed with bladder cancer and stayed in his marriage simply because of that and died a couple of years later. I don't think his wife knew of his intentions.
I think you are making a huge assumption insinuating that Bill is just looking for a younger wife.

Kurt

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Nothing concrete, of course. The few photos made available to the media suggested, to me, a compatible couple taking delight in their philanthropic projects together. I'm going only by their body language and facial expressions towards one another. Compatible. I figured that would "stick."

bush_medal_bill_and_melinda_gates.jpg

160308152428-bill-melinda-gates-780x439.jpg
This is a joke right?

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a bit surprised too - not sure why. I hope and root for everyone to have a long, lasting marriage.

They become friends. They are more like brother and sister. They are not together much. They have too much temptation around them. Who knows what goes on in their home/bedroom - anyone for that matter.

Now if one is/was caught cheating and the spouse did not know - this will be all over the news soon. Either way, sad another marriage down the drain.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I felt shocked and sad to read this news. It's difficult to imagine that they both became disenchanted with marriage at the same time -- after making it 27 years. So, one of them has a broken heart. And there is no amount of money that will make it hurt less.

Brett

Reaction score

I don't think Bill Gates is like Jeff Bezos

(except for the personal wealth)
(and the hard driving win-at-all-costs mentality)

Reactions: DrQ

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
This is sad news!