• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Understanding point usage

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
I’m not clear on the CUP and LCUP when booking in advance. Can I own a week 30 to exchange for points for weeks 12 and weeks 39.

For example say I get usage starting in 2022 and own week 30. When can I make a reservation for week 39 at a resort other than the one I own? And when can I make a reservation for week 12 also at a resort other than the one I own?

I want to be able to do two 4 night midweek stays at High Sierra in week 12 and Carmel at week 39 if I buy into Hyatt.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Your home week 30 is end of July 2022, you will get points one year in advance, in the end of July 2021. You can then use those points to reserve anything that is showing available, regardless of check in date.

You can even get your points even before one year, like right now, by borrowing points. But you can only book 60 days from today with borrowed points.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Where do you own or plan to buy at? Do you plan to even use the home resort unit and week that you do own. Or is your main goal to buy it and not use it but to always use the points somewhere else? So, the question then becomes if that is a feasible plan or not, depending on where and when you really want to use the points to stay elsewhere.

As for using points anywhere even at you own home resort, when your points have "aged" and become LCUP points, they can only be used to book any availability where CHECK IN begins within 60 days of you making the reservation.

It is my understanding that High Sierra has very few units under the control of Hyatt, so finding any availability there at any time maybe very be dificult, and I also believe that Carmel is very hard to find availability in because of its's popularity. Also will you have enough points to reserve what you want at these other properties in the seasons your wanting ?

One rule of a happy Hyatt RC member is to buy your main or first HRC Home Resort at the place and week that you really want to stay at and to use the most, and then look for other potential opportunities to use possible left over points elsewhere. And /or then buy another property at the lowest cost per point and lowest cost per point of the annual maintenance fee to use primarily for trading into other HRC properties.

If you buy a HRC week that you have no interest or little interested in using , you may find yourself in a very disappointing situation when you discover that you can never seem to be able to find availability or have enough points to go where and when you really want to go to ! That's what you really need to be researching. i.e. "Can I ever get availability at the resorts and times where I really want to use my points ? And if I can't ever get a reservation there, am I OK with using my points at my own home resort or other more available properties. (most of the time)

Also there is a wait list system in the HRC reservation system, but it is not very functionable in my opinion , however its something to try, but well in advance and with you checking on it periodically and also being prepared to be disappointed the majority of the time.

There are ( or used to be ) HRC Resorts that in the past have always had plenty of availability for trading into almost any time of the year, but it has been my experience that High Sierra and Carmel has certainly never been easy to find any availability in at any time, and when one does its probably just a last minute fluke, i.e. with such short notice that even if some availability does pop up it's to late and thus it makes planning and usefulness for watching for specific properties and times a fruitless endeavor !

Just FYI !! Perry

Last edited:

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
However when your points have "aged" and become LCUP points, they can only be used to book any availability where CHECK IN begins within 60 days of you making the reservation.

Thanks. I guess where I'm not being clear is this. If I get the points at week 30 in 2021 for 2022 use year, 6 months out (or 26 weeks before) can I make the reservation AT week 13 FOR week 39. For LCUP, does the day you make the reservation have to be within one year of point issue or is it the day check in occurs have to be within one year of receiving the points?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that High Sierra has very few units under the control of Hyatt, so finding any availability there at any time maybe very be dificult, and also believe that Carmel is very hard to find availability in because of its's popularity. Also will you have enough points to reserve what you want at these other properties in the seasons your wanting ?

There are ( or used to be ) HRC Resorts that in the past have always had plenty of availability for trading into almost any time of the year, but it has been my experience that High Sierra and Carmel has certainly never been easy to find any availability in at any time. And when one does its probably just a last minute fluke ! Just FYI !! Perry

I want to be able to do two 4 night midweek stays at High Sierra in week 12 and Carmel at week 39 if I buy into Hyatt.

IMHO, not my experience.

If you plan ahead, you can find week 13 at High Sierra and week 39 at Carmel internally as a Hyatt trade.

@PerryKing, I think you are confusing High Sierra with Northstar. All High Sierra units were sold as HRC... it was Northstar that was sold with very few units sold under the HRC flag (though who knows now that Welk is coming back into the fold). Northstar is extremely difficult to trade internally in Hyatt. High Sierra has much more availability.

HS Week 13 often coincides with Spring Break so it is busy, but not impossible to book. (I was just there during Week 13 2021 through a trade.)

Carmel Week 39 is a Diamond week, and because of that, I think owners will trade in for points even with high mfs there -- 1BRs are relatively easy; 2BRs are tough. In fact, if you check right now, Carmel shows availability in Week 39 for all split stays in 1BR but it is an expensive trade; split week does make it much more affordable.

Of course, YMMV. If you need to stay those weeks, then the ultimate solution is to buy where you want to go.

-ryan

Last edited:

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Your right. I meant Northstar.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Thanks. I guess where I'm not being clear is this. If I get the points at week 30 in 2021 for 2022 use year, 6 months out (or 26 weeks before) can I make the reservation AT week 13 FOR week 39. For LCUP, does the day you make the reservation have to be within one year of point issue or is it the day check in occurs have to be within one year of receiving the points?

Not sure about your first question

BUT As far as LCUP goes: If you have not used your Original HRPP by one year from the date they were posted to your account they will then become LCUP points, and only good for 6 months longer AND only for reservations that you can make that are within 60 days of the check in date.

If you do not use the points that become LCUP they will expire. (That expiration date is 18 months from when you first received them in your account) (or in other words 6 months after they become LCUP they will expire - its the same expiration date then.

Points are in these categories until they are used:

HRPP 6 months - Then :
CUP 6 Months - Then:
LCUP 6 Months - then they expire. LCUP can only be used for reservation that start (check in date) 60 days or less from the date the reservation is made.

While the unused points are in HRPP or CUP You can make a reservation with no time restriction for ANY Club at any check in date that you see is available. By either reserving it your self on-line or by calling Hyatt Owner Services on the phone.

Same with LCUP as long as its no longer than 60 days to the
check-in date when you make the reservation. So you basically have ONE FULL YEAR to use your points for any reservation anywhere with no restrictions - other that availability ! But as I cautioned "Availability" is the key problem ! And after that one year, you then have 6 more months to use the points that are in LCUP anywhere if available, but with the 60 day time restriction.

Anyway I Hope that helps with question 2 - PPK

P.S. One key to getting the dates you want somewhere might be your being able to predict when owners of that week are most likely to let their Home Resort privilege's expire, which would be, at the latest, 6 months after the week in the prior year of the week your looking for in the next year. You need to check availability maybe everyday to maybe find what you want and or try the Wait list program In any case , in general you will only find availability if some other owner gives up their week that you want. (Unless the Home Owners Association has an inventory of repossessed units they have released into general club availability , and / or have NOT turned them over to Hyatt or others to try to rent them out).

P.S.S. re question 1:

I’m not clear on the CUP and LCUP when booking in advance. Can I own a week 30 to exchange for points for weeks 12 and weeks 39.

For example say I get usage starting in 2022 and own week 30. When can I make a reservation for week 39 at a resort other than the one I own?
That would be just 9 weeks after you get your points, so yes , if there is availability in 2022 for week 39 you should be able to do that if you have enough points.

And when can I make a reservation for week 12 also at a resort other than the one I own?
If your usage starts in 2022 , week 30, it looks to me like you would not have any points to do that with until the next year, 2013 and only if unit is available. Unless there are prior years points carried over from the previous owner that become yours and are not restricted - i.e LCUP points . ??? I'm guessing your contemplating a purchase that goes into effect in week 39, 2022 and before that you have no points available, because of the way you phrased your question, so that's what I'm basing my opinions on.

Last edited: