• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where is your favorite New England trip.....

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is no secret my favorite is the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Lincoln is my first choice....followed by Bartlett.

But, my thoughts today are with Newport, RI. I think this is such an underrated area and with the summer sightings I have recently posted I'm thinking about it.

To me (just my opinion) I think it outranks the Cape for a summer destination.
Still get New England oceans. Many restaurants, shops, tours are all within walking distance from the resorts.
Day trips to Boston, Providence and Connecticut are easy commute.

So, all you New England fans.....what is your favorite area?

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Vermont ! All the little villages and pretty scenery. Northern Vermont is majestic and Lake Champlain area. The little villages of Newfane and Woodstock, Stowe are lovely. Manchester is always fun to shop.

Also enjoy coastal Maine, the Kennebunkport area, Ogunquit , York and Southern coast and always like a visit to Stonewall Kitchen.
A friend has a place in Southern NH in Spofford Lake and always enjoy a summer day there too.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love Newport and the Berkshires (Bentley Brook) the most. We love traveling to Boston, Cape Cod and Maine. Most of New England is great

e.bram

Reaction score
Newport Overlook in Jamestown, RI and Surfside Resort in East Falmouth, MA.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
1. Vermont...... particularly the small town of Woodstock.....(Woodstock Inn!) .....but frankly, most anywhere in Vermont.
2. New Hampshire, anywhere in the White Mountains.....(Bretton Woods/Omni Mt. Washington Hotel).
3. Maine..........small coastal town of Ogunquit.....or anywhere on the coast.
4. City of Boston.......too much to tell, but it's definitely our favorite big city in USA (Custom House)....warranting 6 visits in last 8 years.
5. Newport, RI....wonderful place, just a beautiful area.

And, we love to go only in mid-October (foliage season is glorious) or early December (Merry Christmas to us!!)......

Wife unwittingly called the last year+ the "pandammit" instead of the pandemic...a true Freudian slip.
So, we'll be ecstatic when this pandammit is over, such that we feel safe in getting back to our beloved New England, and especially Boston!
(funny thing is that she never utters a curse word....guess it just slipped out.)

1. Woodstock, Vermont
1619886203090.png

1619886556091.png

2. New Hampshire (Bretton Woods)......Mt Washington Hotel
1619886993627.png

3. Ogunquit, Maine
1619888010740.png

1619888043185.png

4. BOSTON
First stop is ALWAYS at James Hook & Co. on Atlantic Ave,Boston..."on the hahbah".....
When we deplane we RUN to this place!!!!!

1619885704483.png

1619888368044.png

1619890004734.png

5. Newport, RI
1619890495827.png

1619890514218.png

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I generally only travel in New England. Funny...Laney was talking the other day about places/states we haven't been, and RI came up. I hate, despise, DO NOT DO urban areas. Boston/Providence, etc are not places I'd ever go....so I haven't looked closely at Newport. It may warrant a second glance after this post!

Our favs:

1) White Mountains. We love either side of the Kancamagus. We've never stayed in a place we didn't enjoy! Pollard Brook, Village of Loon Mountain, Eastern Slope, Attitash, Cold Spring...we enjoy them all!

2) Vermont, #2 only because it's a bit of a drive for us. Smuggs is our favorite, but we've done Jackson Gore and the Grand Summit at Mount Snow, too. All were great!

3) Samoset in Maine. This one is just up the road...about an hour away. It's a favorite because of proximity to home. We don't golf, I don't drink, nobody likes to be out on the water, and we're not big restaurant people. But we love to sit and watch the ocean any time of year, and you can't beat the amenities this place offers. (Audrey gives Samoset the "best gym" award!) I've already made reservations here for Christmas 2021 and Christmas 2022!

4) A big surprise last summer was Vacationland Estates. (Kids are actually clamoring to go back!) It's in the middle of god-forsaken NOWHERESVILLE. But it had a beautiful view of Mt. Katahdin, we shopped at Amish farmstands at least as much as the grocery store, and the pool was great. I'll be watching for a getaway from II to try to go back another year.

So many places we've enjoyed over the years. It's hard to pick! And there are still so many to try! Looking forward to using my new-to-me Acadia Village week this summer!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I generally only travel in New England. Funny...Laney was talking the other day about places/states we haven't been, and RI came up. I hate, despise, DO NOT DO urban areas. Boston/Providence, etc are not places I'd ever go....so I haven't looked closely at Newport. It may warrant a second glance after this post!

Our favs:

1) White Mountains. We love either side of the Kancamagus. We've never stayed in a place we didn't enjoy! Pollard Brook, Village of Loon Mountain, Eastern Slope, Attitash, Cold Spring...we enjoy them all!

2) Vermont, #2 only because it's a bit of a drive for us. Smuggs is our favorite, but we've done Jackson Gore and the Grand Summit at Mount Snow, too. All were great!

3) Samoset in Maine. This one is just up the road...about an hour away. It's a favorite because of proximity to home. We don't golf, I don't drink, nobody likes to be out on the water, and we're not big restaurant people. But we love to sit and watch the ocean any time of year, and you can't beat the amenities this place offers. (Audrey gives Samoset the "best gym" award!) I've already made reservations here for Christmas 2021 and Christmas 2022!

4) A big surprise last summer was Vacationland Estates. (Kids are actually clamoring to go back!) It's in the middle of god-forsaken NOWHERESVILLE. But it had a beautiful view of Mt. Katahdin, we shopped at Amish farmstands at least as much as the grocery store, and the pool was great. I'll be watching for a getaway from II to try to go back another year.

So many places we've enjoyed over the years. It's hard to pick! And there are still so many to try! Looking forward to using my new-to-me Acadia Village week this summer!
Agree!!! One thing.. I hadn't been to Providence in years and went to a play there. I have to say the little city was very impressive and worth a longer visit. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it !! Speaking of Rhide Island, Watch Hill is always a fave place for a beach day.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
L
1. Vermont...... particularly the small town of Woodstock.....(Woodstock Inn!) .....but frankly, most anywhere in Vermont.
2. New Hampshire, anywhere in the White Mountains.....(Bretton Woods/Omni Mt. Washington Hotel).
3. Maine..........small coastal town of Ogunquit.....or anywhere on the coast.
4. City of Boston.......too much to tell, but it's definitely our favorite big city in USA (Custom House)....warranting 6 visits in last 8 years.
5. Newport, RI....wonderful place, just a beautiful area.

And, we love to go only in mid-October (foliage season is glorious) or early December (Merry Christmas to us!!)......

Wife unwittingly called the last year+ the "pandammit" instead of the pandemic...a true Freudian slip.
So, we'll be ecstatic when this pandammit is over, such that we feel safe in getting back to our beloved New England, and especially Boston!
(funny thing is that she never utters a curse word....guess it just slipped out.)

1. Woodstock, Vermont
View attachment 35134
View attachment 35137

2. New Hampshire (Bretton Woods)......Mt Washington Hotel
View attachment 35139

3. Ogunquit, Maine
View attachment 35141
View attachment 35142

4. BOSTON
First stop is ALWAYS at James Hook & Co. on Atlantic Ave,Boston..."on the hahbah".....
When we deplane we RUN to this place!!!!!

View attachment 35133
View attachment 35144
View attachment 35150

5. Newport, RI
View attachment 35151

View attachment 35152
[/QUOTE

Love all the photos. Brings back nice memories. Thanks for sharing!!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Been a long time since the TUG meeting (and wrestling match vs Fletch) at the Custom House. Very nice place, but a bit on the small side. My favorite places are: (1) NH White Mountains - Pollard Brook, (2) Maine- Acadia National Park area, (3) Cape Cod - Mid Cape area and mostly to eat.

HikerBiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trapp Family Lodge, Hillcrest Inn, The Village Green
We live in Maine and have vacationed in all of the New England states except Connecticut. Though we probably have vacationed on the Cape a dozen times, our absolute favorite place is Stowe, VT where we own two timeshares. There are bike trails in the area, lots of hiking, several craft breweries (husband’s favorite is Alchemist beer), great restaurants, a Farmer’s Market, several shops, (all of these are within walking distance of one of our timeshares), art studios, and a quintessential downtown. We have always used one of the weeks we own instead of trading it. The 4th of July fireworks are fantastic and are viewable from the resort.
I, also, have to say that Ogunquit is fabulous. We live within 20 miles of it and go often for the day when not in high season. We call it “our mini vacation” and are truly awed by its beauty. Google “Marginal Way” to see a video which doesn’t begin to do it justice.

okw1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doing research for a New England driving trip. I’ve really appreciate all of your great ideas. I have always wanted to go to Maine. Do we need to go all the way to Bar Harbor or can we have a great experience staying further south like Oqunquit. I want to do Newport, White Mountains in NH and Vermont. We’ve been to Boston and Cape Cod and don’t need to go back. One last thing has anyone been to the Hudson Valley in New York and is it worth the detour? Thanks in advance.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Ogunquit is beautiful. But it's my thought that getting further north will give you more of a flavor of our state. Rockland is a nice area, and has Samoset, which trades in both II and RCI. Good luck planning your trip!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doing research for a New England driving trip. I’ve really appreciate all of your great ideas. I have always wanted to go to Maine. Do we need to go all the way to Bar Harbor or can we have a great experience staying further south like Oqunquit. I want to do Newport, White Mountains in NH and Vermont. We’ve been to Boston and Cape Cod and don’t need to go back. One last thing has anyone been to the Hudson Valley in New York and is it worth the detour? Thanks in advance.
Freeport is always fun to visit and Rockport.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
There are bike trails in the area, lots of hiking, several craft breweries (husband’s favorite is Alchemist beer), great restaurants, a Farmer’s Market, several shops, (all of these are within walking distance of one of our timeshares)

Mind saying which timeshare for those of us reading the thread and thinking about planning possible trips? Thanks!

HikerBiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mind saying which timeshare for those of us reading the thread and thinking about planning possible trips? Thanks!
The resort is The Village Green and it’s with RCI. It is a basic resort, most units are two levels, very limited WiFi access, and could use some updating. However, it is clean, roomy, has indoor and outdoor pools, ping pong, friendly and helpful employees, and an excellent location. The MountainSide timeshare is also in the same area. We also own at Trapp Family Lodge and that is a resort with lots of activities and beautiful views. My husband and I love it there, but our children and grandchildren prefer The Village Green.

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Village Green a few years ago. Basic is an accurate description. I hope by now they have updated the mattresses.

We have also stayed at Mountainside Resort, which is right next door to the Alchemist. Much better mattresses, but a maintenance issue we didn't need and a lax attitude toward fixing it.

We much prefer the updated Guest Houses at Trapp.

Also, in my opinion, the Alchemist's reputation is undeserved. The beers at Trapp are of varying quality, but I find the poorest to be better than the best Alchemist. Your mileage may vary (YMMV), but at least give both a try.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
The resort is The Village Green and it’s with RCI. It is a basic resort, most units are two levels, very limited WiFi access, and could use some updating. However, it is clean, roomy, has indoor and outdoor pools, ping pong, friendly and helpful employees, and an excellent location. The MountainSide timeshare is also in the same area. We also own at Trapp Family Lodge and that is a resort with lots of activities and beautiful views. My husband and I love it there, but our children and grandchildren prefer The Village Green.

I just booked Trapp Family Lodge for July 2022 through II. We are in California, Mom is on Long Island. We were thinking of bringing her on this trip but she is mobility challenged and can’t do stairs. We’re in a guest house. Looking at pics, it looks like the guest houses might have 6-8 steps to access the unit? If so, that will be a deal breaker. Do you by any chance know the answer to this question?

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
heathpack: Two of the units in Bldg 1 are easy access. Bldgs 25-28 have units with fairly easy access. Call Owner Services, explain the situation, and ask, politely, if there is anything they can do for you. They will do the best they can to help out. They will act as if it is their mom and do the best they can. And, please get back to us and let us know how it goes.

BTW, most units have way more than 6-8 steps to access the unit.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Any thoughts about staying at Killington for a week in early Oct? I booked a week at the Killington Grand Resort for Oct 7-14, 2022. We have never been to New England before. I also set up an OGS in II for a week before or after in Maine (I know it's a drive but it's a bucket list thing for me). We are avid hikers and history buffs, mostly planning on sightseeing. We aren't shoppers and will spend most days outdoors if possible. I'm still within the 24 cancellation time. Any advice would be appreciated!

HikerBiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just booked Trapp Family Lodge for July 2022 through II. We are in California, Mom is on Long Island. We were thinking of bringing her on this trip but she is mobility challenged and can’t do stairs. We’re in a guest house. Looking at pics, it looks like the guest houses might have 6-8 steps to access the unit? If so, that will be a deal breaker. Do you by any chance know the answer to this question?

BWolf is absolutely right; they will do everything they can to accommodate you so talk with them, and yes, lots of steps for most units. A beautiful place with lots of activities at the resort. Highly recommend.

HikerBiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any thoughts about staying at Killington for a week in early Oct? I booked a week at the Killington Grand Resort for Oct 7-14, 2022. We have never been to New England before. I also set up an OGS in II for a week before or after in Maine (I know it's a drive but it's a bucket list thing for me). We are avid hikers and history buffs, mostly planning on sightseeing. We aren't shoppers and will spend most days outdoors if possible. I'm still within the 24 cancellation time. Any advice would be appreciated!

We stayed in Killington many years ago, but not at that resort. My understanding is it is a very nice resort. As I remember, we visited the Calvin Coolidge Homestead and found other areas of interest along with doing some hiking.
That is usually peak foliage time for Maine, so it may be difficult to get an exchange, so keep us posted, and then we will make suggestions based on the area where you are.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
@HikerBiker do you call yourself HikerBiker because you are a cyclist? I will probably want to mountain bike while in Stowe, possibly road bike. If you have any insights, I’d like to hear them.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

No thoughts on the actual resort - but that should right around prime fall foliage for the area, your hikes will be beautiful! This particular week is the highest demand fall week in New England, you were lucky to obtain it! It covers Columbus Day weekend which can be insanely busy and if anything like NH that weekend, parking will be an issue at the trailheads Sat/Sunday....do something else those days. A second week before or after in Maine or any other part of New England should be doable.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
No thoughts on the actual resort - but that should right around prime fall foliage for the area, your hikes will be beautiful! This particular week is the highest demand fall week in New England, you were lucky to obtain it! It covers Columbus Day weekend which can be insanely busy and if anything like NH that weekend, parking will be an issue at the trailheads Sat/Sunday....do something else those days. A second week before or after in Maine or any other part of New England should be doable.
Thank you. I figured that there will be some traffic so our plan is to do most of the hiking during the week. I was honestly shocked to see this just sitting there in in open inventory! I wasn't committed to doing this trip so I had not yet set up an OGS, but I have been casually looking for the past month or so and everything that I saw was either the first week of Oct (which I assume would be fine as well) or much later in October. The resort reviews are fine enough (I am not super fussy about the resort as long as it's clean) but since I am unfamiliar with the area I just wanted a bit of reassurance that the location would work and the answer seems to be a yes, so I am going to keep the week. Thanks for letting me tag in on this thread. It actually inspired me to plan this trip.

We stayed in Killington many years ago, but not at that resort. My understanding is it is a very nice resort. As I remember, we visited the Calvin Coolidge Homestead and found other areas of interest along with doing some hiking.
That is usually peak foliage time for Maine, so it may be difficult to get an exchange, so keep us posted, and then we will make suggestions based on the area where you are.
I just mentioned your post to my husband. We are hooked, lol. Anything historical is a draw for us. I have my fingers crossed for Maine. If we don't get an exchange we will just add some time at a B&B. We are pretty excited for this trip now!