• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Last minute rental section proposed change to 65 days vs 45 days

carmena79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hawaiian Princess Hawaiian Sun Holidays Vacations Internationale
I agree 65 days would be helpful

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
No opinion. Never had even a question let alone a rental from that forum
Wow, really? I have noticed your CMV postings there, but the timing/circumstances just hasn’t ever worked for us. I enjoy the area and have fond childhood memories of trips to Wisconsin.

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see the date at 65 days too. As tschwa2 mentioned the cut off to deposit with full trading power unrestricted deposit is really 60 days or greater. Changing the date to 65 days would help avoid late deposits with restricted trading power.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Based on previous LMR discussions, it‘s my understanding they don’t want the # of ads in the forums to increase. This will cause more work for the volunteers. They want folks to use the LMR in the Marketplace.

QUOTE from DeniseM:
It is provided for owners to recover some of their cost on reservations that they can't use, and are too late to cancel.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The entire point is that Wyndham owners are the ones using this the most. This would put other resort systems on the LM rental board. I haven't had much luck renting anything in the LM rentals, but I always think it is there mostly for Wyndham owners to rent inventory. And probably still at a profit, frankly, knowing what little it costs me for last-minute reservations. Definitely an advantage for Wyndham owners.

I don't use it much, so it's of little use to me. A lot of cheapskates try to get the price reduced anyway. That is truth.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I agree with extending to 65 days. Additionally, I think the price should increase $5/day every year or $35/week. Inflation and MF keep rising. So this year should be $120/day or $840/year.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think 64 days is better and $6/day. Joking aside I always thought room size should play a role in price. Objective compared to location or time of year.
Effort would be better served to lobby your timeshare company or exchange company to change their policies.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
certainly not interested in changing it to another odd number of days etc that makes moderation more difficult. 60 days or 2 months seems like a reasonable extension to consider.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
certainly not interested in changing it to another odd number of days etc that makes moderation more difficult. 60 days or 2 months seems like a reasonable extension to consider.
I think the issue here is that going to 60 days doesn't really change the dynamic of how the forum would be able to be utilized. Effectively there is no difference between 45 and 60 for most weeks. 65 days was proposed because it provides a four to five day window for those with 60 day cancellation policies to try to rent their week in LMR. Just going to 60 days does nothing for that.

The allowable dates are in big bold red at the top of the forum. So I am not sure how an odd number of days makes it more difficult to moderate anymore than 45 days does. Is any moderator actually doing the math each time? Even at 60 days, it isn't as simple as two months since some months have 30 days, some have 31 and then there is that pesky February.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my naivete, but I do not understand the point.

There is the Last Minute Rental (LMR) and there is the Rental Forum.

LMR is restrictive on the offering price ($800/week) within 45 days of arrival.

There is no restriction for the Rental Forum.

So if you want to offer a rental at the LMR restrictive pricing at 65 days, why not just advertise it in the Rental Forum more than 45 days in advance?

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
I don't use it much, so it's of little use to me. A lot of cheapskates try to get the price reduced anyway. That is truth.

I don't see an issue with attempting to negotiate. When you buy a new car do you just pay sticker price? Did you negotiate when you bought the house you're in? Just because someone is trying to get the best bang for their buck doesn't make them a cheapskate. Frugal, maybe, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score

Clearing out old posts would be helpful as well if possible. There are posts all the way back to 2013 and the thread has 462 pages in it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Clearing out old posts would be helpful as well if possible. There are posts all the way back to 2013 and the thread has 462 pages in it.
Lol does it really matter? Are you starting at the first page then clicking next page 462 times?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I don't see an issue with attempting to negotiate. When you buy a new car do you just pay sticker price? Did you negotiate when you bought the house you're in? Just because someone is trying to get the best bang for their buck doesn't make them a cheapskate. Frugal, maybe, but there is nothing wrong with that.
Most owners posting in LMR for less than 800 bucks are already taking a loss. 800 for a week vacation is great deal as it is

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)

So if you want to offer a rental at the LMR restrictive pricing at 65 days, why not just advertise it in the Rental Forum more than 45 days in advance?
Yes, those wishing to offer rentals outside the LMR restrictions may post them in the Timeshares for Rent section of the Timeshare Marketplace. But, although reachable from the blue navigation bar at the top of the TUGBBS forums this is not part of the TUGBBS forums. It is a traditional classified ad section in a separate part of the TUG Site, just like the Resort Reviews and a few other things. Its existence goes back even further in time than the TUGBBS forums.

The LMR forum was later added to the TUGBBS forums as special purpose, short time window, forums intended to help owners get at least some benefit from owned intervals that are near expiration and are about to be lost. It eventually was split into separate LMR Offered and Wanted forums to avoid confusion in the listings.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

To be clear though, in the way most think of "forum", there is no "Rental Forum". There is the TUG Marketplace for rentals that don't fit into the 45 day $800 restrictions of the LMR Forum.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
LMR helps people like us on fixed income. 65 days may allow me to rent. It would give us more flexibility. The dollar limit helps us also. We appreciate those who share there blessings.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
LMR helps people like us on fixed income. 65 days may allow me to rent. It would give us more flexibility. The dollar limit helps us also. We appreciate those who share there blessings.
I am not sure the proposed 65 days is intended to help renters but more so to help a certain subset of owners offer weeks that would soon be hitting the cancellation penalty date.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Gee, I don't care, I guess. I so rarely am stuck in the position of having to give up a week because it's close to expiration. Exchanges, yes, but rentals, no. The only thing I feel stuck with right now is Shell Points, and so I advertised various dates in Wisconsin on go-koala.com and Redweek. Hoping to rent those for my cost to get my points used, so I can deed them back to Wyndham. The cost on those would never fit into the price on this forum. That is why I am getting rid of them.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the issue here is that going to 60 days doesn't really change the dynamic of how the forum would be able to be utilized. Effectively there is no difference between 45 and 60 for most weeks. 65 days was proposed because it provides a four to five day window for those with 60 day cancellation policies to try to rent their week in LMR. Just going to 60 days does nothing for that.

The allowable dates are in big bold red at the top of the forum. So I am not sure how an odd number of days makes it more difficult to moderate anymore than 45 days does. Is any moderator actually doing the math each time? Even at 60 days, it isn't as simple as two months since some months have 30 days, some have 31 and then there is that pesky February.

yes, because folks simply dont read that date.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wasnt aware the extra 5 days was only to benefit a subset of renters vs everyone. Im not a terribly large fan of that.

the goal of the LMR forum is for folks to recoup some money for a stay they cant cancel and are going to lose out on if its not rented. It is not intended for a rental outlet for rental businesses or megarenters etc.

while those folks are welcome to utilize the forums under its rules, I am not inclined to go out of my way to modify the forum to cater to that situation. That is what the marketplace is for.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
yes, because folks simply dont read that date.
I get that. But it doesn't make it harder for a moderator to discern if something is outside the dates or not. My points is that right now 45 days isn't anymore of an even date than 65 days is. Or even 60 days. The moderator has to look at the date on the forum header to determine if something is outside the guidelines. I actually think 60 days will lead to more unqualified listings because people will simply back up two months from the date. Example would be today someone posting a listing for June 30th, but that is technically 61 days from now.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each posted rental is more work for a moderator, who must check that it complies. A simple rule ("one month") might be easier for a poster to follow than a slightly more complex one ("45 days")---if so, the simpler the rule the more posters will be discouraged from posting clearly incorrect rentals.

Then again, it's probably the case that some people just won't read what's written, no matter how simple it is.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's true---and I'd be fine with a further restriction on LMR, though I don't know off the top of my head what it would be. IMO, the fact that LMR is broken isn't a compelling reason to break it further.
I've been thinking about this in light of the fact that LMR has mostly been a business channel for a handful of TUGgers. One possible change if we collectively think that's not an appropriate use of LMR: It might be reasonable to have some modest limits on how many LMRs an individual TUG Member can post in a given month/quarter/year/whatever.

Of course, a lot of people might think it is perfectly fine to let LMR continue to go the way it is going. If so, that's fine too.

(As an aside, this way of using LMR isn't a new phenomenon. There used to be a few UDI owners at Christmas Mountain Village who churned reservations much the same way back in the day.)

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Edited: decision has already been made, and no need for me to poke at scabs.

Last edited: