• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Resale During COVID

Kevin248

Reaction score
Hello!
My Wife and I were looking into DVC before COVID hit. I was set on buying direct but now with the costs of resale contracts dropping, it seems to make more sense to buy one of those existing contracts. We would be first time buyers.
If you buy resale, what are the restrictions regarding Riviera? Can you still stay there if you buy a resale contract with another home resort?
Also, besides the resale prices being lower, is now a good time to purchase DVC? We plan on going to Disney in November 2021 and we’d like it to be our first DVC stay.
Any input/tips would be helpful!
Thanks!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Current resale purchases at resorts other than Riviera cannot be used at Riviera (nor presumably any future resorts.) Riviera resale purchases can only be used there.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience is that all the resale prices have been going up along with the direct prices. I think many people were expecting the resales to slow down due to covid shutdowns, but they never did. In fact, I thought they increased. If you are serious about buying DVC, it is a good time to buy, but that's only because the prices are always going up. When you sit down and do projections for how much you are actually going to pay over the next 10 years or so vs. renting, you may find that it isn't worth buying DVC.

Riviera and all new resorts after that have much stricter booking rules. If you buy resale Riviera, you can stay there. If you buy resale anywhere else, you may never be able to use those points for the Riviera and anything new after that. There are a lot of people who love that resort and only want to stay at that resort. So, buying there makes sense. Otherwise, you might be better off just renting from another owner.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome @Kevin248
Have you stayed at any of the DVC resorts? If not, you should rent (or, possibly, exchange if you are a current timeshare owner with membership in RCI) prior to buying. At a minimum, go to the resorts that interest you, and ask to see the units.

(Since this was your first post here, I am unsure if you are a timeshare owner. What is drawing you to DVC?)

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Resale pricing for many DVCs has gone up. For ex, in July 2020, the going rate for 160 AKV was about $105, now it's $120+. SSR has also gone up. Riviera resale is limited to staying at R and possibly other resorts to be built. For other resales, you cannot use those resale points to stay at R, but can use them at all other resorts currently built. IMHO, I'd rather have the ability to book 14 resorts vs. 1 currently.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It is written in the T&C that Riviera resales are limited to booking only at Riviera. Unless you are fine with staying at Riviera only until contract expiration, might want to buy your resale contract at another resort. Buying resale elsewhere you will not be able to book Riviera direct.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on booking a DVC stay for November 2021 if you purchase now/soon? Just wanted to mention if you buy resale, by the time you make an offer, accepted, close, points in account, etc. - doubt there will be much/if any availability for November 2021. Have not checked recently - we made our reservations back in December 2020 for November 2021.

Good luck whatever you decide. Let us know how you make out.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First, resale prices for DVC vary by resort but broadly speaking the COVID dip if any happened last summer and prices have been rising since. Second, as others have said, if you buy resale anywhere but Riviera you can't stay there. Worse, if you buy at resale at Riviera you can't stay anywhere else. Third as @AnnaS said, it's too late to buy for November 2021.

All that said, I encourage you to look at the bigger picture - buying DVC (or any timeshare) is something of a long term commitment. When people ask me if they should buy DVC I ask three questions in return, "Do you plan on visiting WDW at least once every two years for at least the next 10 years?", "Can you plan at least 7 and ideally 11 months in advance", and "Do you really want to pay a premium to stay 'on property'?" Only if the answer to all of these questions is 'Yes' should you buy.

WDW-Graph-MAR.jpg

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All that said, unfortunately I can't recommend any EPCOT/HS resort - BWV and BCV have 2042 expirations and Riviera has painful resale restrictions, high dues, and expensive point charts. Even if you buy direct at Riviera you still face the problem of competing for reservations against an ever increasing share of owners who can *only* book there and nowhere else.

Of the MK resorts, BLT, VGF, Poly, and CCV all have their advantages. BLT has an easy walk to MK, low dues, 2060 expiration, 'extra' bathroom in 1BR and 2BR villas, and great dining options in the Contemporary, the other monorail resorts, and Fort Wilderness. But the studios are comparatively small. Poly has the opposite problem - it only has wonderful studios and no 1BR or 2BR units (aside from the very expensive bungalows). CCV has great theming but it's hard to book studios and suffers from only having boat access. Lastly, now that VGF is walkable to the MK it is more or less on par with BLT.

Which leaves AKV, SSR, and OKW as the 'value' DVC resorts. Do you like animals, Disney Springs, or large villas?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My experience is that all the resale prices have been going up along with the direct prices. I think many people were expecting the resales to slow down due to covid shutdowns, but they never did.
^^This^^

Resale prices are indeed up. THere was a short slump right after the pandemic hit, but it wasn't long before prices rebounded and are higher now than before March 2020.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
IMO, You're honestly better off just using Bonnet Creek over owning at the "value" DVC resorts. It's the same distance from the parks, the annual MF on a 2 bedroom villa is as low as $600/week if you have a good deed, not CWA, and book during the value season. Food and Wine and December is mostly in the value season. I booked a SSR exchange through RCI first week of June for $1050 in total and also booked a 1 bedroom Presidential at Bonnet Creek for the 5 days prior to the SSR exchange (for a total of $640). So it's 5 nights in a presidential suite at Bonnet Creek and 7 nights at SSR for a total of $1690 for both stays. My resale Club Wyndham ownership only costed me a few hundred bucks. The price of resale DVC is just getting ridiculous compared to just buying Club Wyndham resale and using Bonnet Creek/Reunion and RCI.

As a side note, Wyndham ALSO has a really nice beach resort that's an hour and a half drive from WDW with REALLY nice rooms. WAY nicer than Vero Beach. I was just there last week and took a video of my Presidential suite. as a local, I'd pick this room over a DVC STUDIO any day. They essentially cost the same when you factor in buy in costs + dues. The room in this video costed me $220/night (weeknights) for reference of value. DVC doesn't have "value" resorts anymore. At this point, none of them are a good "value" if you didn't buy into DVC before prices skyrocketed.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
As a longtime DVC owner, I have to agree - you can get a lot more for your money buying Wyndham or other TS than buying DVC. A DVC studio will cost the same as or more than a 2BR elsewhere, both to purchase and to pay ongoing MFs. Not worth it - with the $$ you save buying resale other TS, you can buy a lot of tickets to the parks! And if APs come back, which I believe they will, you can buy one to get free parking.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
As a longtime DVC owner, I have to agree - you can get a lot more for your money buying Wyndham or other TS than buying DVC. A DVC studio will cost the same as or more than a 2BR elsewhere, both to purchase and to pay ongoing MFs. Not worth it - with the $$ you save buying resale other TS, you can buy a lot of tickets to the parks! And if APs come back, which I believe they will, you can buy one to get free parking.
I’d have to agree, I’d rather stay off site. I’ve had better accommodations in Marriott timeshares than in a DVC. My last trip, it took 15 minutes to drive to Disney Springs from AKL. Same amount of time it took me to get there from the Vistana Villages. Of course this was without traffic because of the pandemic.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’d have to agree, I’d rather stay off site. I’ve had better accommodations in Marriott timeshares than in a DVC. My last trip, it took 15 minutes to drive to Disney Springs from AKL. Same amount of time it took me to get there from the Vistana Villages. Of course this was without traffic because of the pandemic.
It’s about the same in normal times with traffic! We’ve stayed at the Marriott TS resorts at the World Center several times when my parents owned Marriott as well as on an II AC when Shell still traded in II, and we loved the quick commute to WDW. I’m really sorry that my dad gave his Marriott back to them (for $$) when they were creating their trust, but we couldn’t afford to take them over at that time. We’ve also stayed at the Vistana Resort, Grand Beach and the Bluegreen Fountains and found the commute from them wasn’t bad either. We have no problem staying offsite when we’re out of DVC points, and as I said above, we wouldn’t buy into DVC now.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It’s about the same in normal times with traffic! We’ve stayed at the Marriott TS resorts at the World Center several times when my parents owned Marriott as well as on an II AC when Shell still traded in II, and we loved the quick commute to WDW. I’m really sorry that my dad gave his Marriott back to them (for $$) when they were creating their trust, but we couldn’t afford to take them over at that time. We’ve also stayed at the Vistana Resort, Grand Beach and the Bluegreen Fountains and found the commute from them wasn’t bad either. We have no problem staying offsite when we’re out of DVC points, and as I said above, we wouldn’t buy into DVC now.
I’ve been going back and forth on picking up DVC. I’m just not sure it’s worth it. I’ll take whatever exchange in RCI I can get. I’m fine with SSR

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ve been going back and forth on picking up DVC. I’m just not sure it’s worth it. I’ll take whatever exchange in RCI I can get. I’m fine with SSR
Obviously, we'd rather stay at our home resort BWV when we can but have been happy with our offsite RCI exchanges too. We love WBC when we can get it at reasonable cost, but Silver Lake is almost always available, for a lot fewer TPUs as well. Our first stay at SSR will be in June - an RCI exchange!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OP seems to have left us so I'm not sure how useful we are anymore. To me the $64,000 question regarding the value of DVC vs staying off-property is when will fastpasses return and what form will they take. If you can just buy top-tier FPs for a semi-nominal charge then the value of DVC declines. If not, not.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
OP seems to have left us so I'm not sure how useful we are anymore. To me the $64,000 question regarding the value of DVC vs staying off-property is when will fastpasses return and what form will they take. If you can just buy top-tier FPs for a semi-nominal charge then the value of DVC declines. If not, not.

You can always do an exchange into SSR for fastpasses though. Every ride is doable from rope drop under normal circumstances too. Plenty of Youtube vloggers get on the harder to get rides and are local.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can always do an exchange into SSR for fastpasses though. Every ride is doable from rope drop under normal circumstances too. Plenty of Youtube vloggers get on the harder to get rides and are local.
For better or worse, we're still in the needing 2BRs during school holidays camp. Once the kids fly the coop 1BRs...and 'normal' crowds...become a possibility.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If trading has been working fine and you are happy at ssr, I would not buy into DVC. Just keep on trading and save the buy in and MF.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If trading has been working fine and you are happy at ssr, I would not buy into DVC. Just keep on trading and save the buy in and MF.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
If I bought, I’d buy at SSR so I can book tree houses. Something about the privacy and tranquility in a Disney resort is very appealing.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
If I bought, I’d buy at SSR so I can book tree houses. Something about the privacy and tranquility in a Disney resort is very appealing.
But they have zero king sized beds, only queens and a set of bunks. Plus only two bathrooms.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
But they have zero king sized beds, only queens and a set of bunks. Plus only two bathrooms.
They have 2 queens and bunks? I didn’t realize only 2 bathrooms..... do they get booked quickly? Also, 2 queens and bunks is more than enough space for me lol

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, You're honestly better off just using Bonnet Creek over owning at the "value" DVC resorts. It's the same distance from the parks, the annual MF on a 2 bedroom villa is as low as $600/week if you have a good deed, not CWA, and book during the value season. Food and Wine and December is mostly in the value season. I booked a SSR exchange through RCI first week of June for $1050 in total and also booked a 1 bedroom Presidential at Bonnet Creek for the 5 days prior to the SSR exchange (for a total of $640). So it's 5 nights in a presidential suite at Bonnet Creek and 7 nights at SSR for a total of $1690 for both stays. My resale Club Wyndham ownership only costed me a few hundred bucks. The price of resale DVC is just getting ridiculous compared to just buying Club Wyndham resale and using Bonnet Creek/Reunion and RCI.

As a side note, Wyndham ALSO has a really nice beach resort that's an hour and a half drive from WDW with REALLY nice rooms. WAY nicer than Vero Beach. I was just there last week and took a video of my Presidential suite. as a local, I'd pick this room over a DVC STUDIO any day. They essentially cost the same when you factor in buy in costs + dues. The room in this video costed me $220/night (weeknights) for reference of value. DVC doesn't have "value" resorts anymore. At this point, none of them are a good "value" if you didn't buy into DVC before prices skyrocketed.

If I am reading correctly, a one bedroom Bonnet Creek resale for $1,500 on RedWeek is showing a MF of $1,053. Is there a better way of getting at lower MF’s than what I am seeing?

Thx.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I am reading correctly, a one bedroom Bonnet Creek resale for $1,500 on RedWeek is showing a MF of $1,053. Is there a better way of getting at lower MF’s than what I am seeing?

Thx.
Wyndham maintenance fees vary by resort. Buying points at a resort with lower fees is the best way to control the fees short and long term. Just investigate the ones that have the best fees but they my be slightly higher up front for this reason.