• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Enroll an external week for $1,495?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
What is the advantage of enrolling an after market week? I’ve had mine since 2002 and always return to Oceanpointe. Are there additional yearly fees if you enroll? Is it harder to book prime weeks if you enroll. Thanks for any feedback

I actually disagree with others who say the advantage of enrolling legacy weeks you always use is "not much". I think there are cases where it'd be worth doing even if you always use or rent your home weeks and don't convert to points.

For example, we own with both MVC and Vistana. I enrolled 2 of our Newport Coast weeks sometime around 2015 mostly because 2 Platinum weeks convert to 6950 points and by enrolling we could grandfather into Executive right before the Executive level threshold went up from 6500 to 7000 points. Once you are enrolled in the points system you can also rent points from others on an as-needed basis. That allows greater flexibility and opens up some nice very options. For example, we are going this summer to Westin St. John via Vistana and combining that with a stay at Frenchman's Cove. A couple of years ago we went to Kauai via Vistana (Westin Princeville) and combined that with several nights at Marriott Waiohai using rented points. We can do a similar combination in Avon/Vail and the Westin and Marriott resorts in that area. I still rarely convert my own weeks to points because I can rent my weeks out and buy points on vacationpointsexchange and still have some money left over. Also, we live very close to Ocean Pointe where point stays are really cheap in the fall (school in session + hurricane season) so we sometimes rent points and get a Sunday-Friday stay at ridiculously low rates. That's also a good way to help get to 50 or 75 nights with Marriott if I'm close enough in a given year and then earn some suite night awards.

So paying a fee to enroll a pre-2010 week (or multiple pre-2010 weeks) just to have access to the points system is, in my view, well worth it. We didn't realize the flexibility it offers until we had it.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Depending on the actual cost per point you'd be spending at least $30,000 to enroll just one week purchased after 6/2010...... Some may think it's worth it. I don't.
I'd consider enrolling for a fee if it didn't require the additional spending. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm interested to see if any option becomes available in the future if/when MVC rolls out a new program that includes MVC/Vistana integrated product.
Several years ago, I was offered the opportunity to enroll with the purchase of points for the low, low, price of ~$28K. I told them I'd be willing to buy 1 point; the slick reply from the salesman was it would still cost me ~$28K. It was a no for me...

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
If I were given the opportunity to enroll my two gold 2BR weeks at Grand Vista, I'd do it in a heartbeat for two reasons: 1) it would get me to Executive which would allow for 13-month 1+ day bookings for points, and 2) it would get my weeks into my corporate interval account and free M-to-M trades. I would likely never elect the DC points for those weeks as the MF/point levels are so high (~ $0.75/point)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If I were given the opportunity to enroll my two gold 2BR weeks at Grand Vista, I'd do it in a heartbeat for two reasons: 1) it would get me to Executive which would allow for 13-month 1+ day bookings for points, and 2) it would get my weeks into my corporate interval account and free M-to-M trades. I would likely never elect the DC points for those weeks as the MF/point levels are so high (~ $0.75/point)
You can enroll them, with the purchase of 4,000 DC points and about $40,000.

Bill4728

Reaction score
There have been several times where MVC offered to enroll "post June 2010 " weeks BUT they have always required you buy more points ( often the amount of points that the post 2010 week would be worth) so if you had a "post 2010 week" worth 2750 pts you would have to buy 2750 pts.

Please be aware - this is not an ongoing offer of MVC but a once every few years offer.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I'd consider enrolling for a fee if it didn't require the additional spending. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm interested to see if any option becomes available in the future if/when MVC rolls out a new program that includes MVC/Vistana integrated product.
Several years ago, I was offered the opportunity to enroll with the purchase of points for the low, low, price of ~$28K. I told them I'd be willing to buy 1 point; the slick reply from the salesman was it would still cost me ~$28K. It was a no for me...
You can enroll for less than $28k for one week. I was able to enroll 12 weeks for a little over $4k each week. Power of bulk enrollment!!

Still a lot of money but more affordable in a per week enrollment.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You can enroll for less than $28k for one week. I was able to enroll 12 weeks for a little over $4k each week. Power of bulk enrollment!!

Power! A bit like the guy selling widgets that loses 5 cents a unit. He plans to make it up on volume. :eek:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am thinking of acquiring a few more weeks and then go to a presentation and buy whatever DC I need to buy to enroll all of my weeks. I am no sucker, either. I have seen the value of Marriott and love it. I am getting rid of bad timeshare points and looking at Marriott to fill the gaps.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

Yep, that is what I am talking about!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Is your 12 weeks the fractional that you own at Tahoe Residence?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
No the 12 weeks was about 7 months ago.

I was able to enroll two fractionals (26 weeks) and two post 2010 2br platinum weeks with a purchase of 5k DC points in July 2019. It was about $52k before incentives and around $46k with incentives taken into account.

See you later this evening. Any other tuggers here at MKO, vacationforever and myself will be meeting at the marketplace between 7pm to 8pm. Welcome to join and put a face to a name.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
You can enroll for less than $28k for one week. Power of bulk enrollment!!
You can, but I can't. Weakness of one week enrollment!!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Depending on the actual cost per point you'd be spending at least $30,000 to enroll just one week purchased after 6/2010...... Some may think it's worth it. I don't.

Pre-covid I sat with a rep at the Maui Marriott to discuss my post 2010 week. After lots of this and that, deals, permutations, etc., the total cost for me to enroll was going to be about $20,000. I pointed out that’s about the cost to buy an entire week, ocean front, 2 bedroom, on the secondary market and I felt that was a lot to spend for the real, but not big, benefits having points offered, especially since we don’t expect to use them anywhere other than Maui. The biggest advantage was the ability to check in/out on any day, so we could travel on the less costly Tuesdays, and the ability to stay less than or more than (if we locked off) one week. But, again, the cost was equal to another week!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Pre-covid I sat with a rep at the Maui Marriott to discuss my post 2010 week. After lots of this and that, deals, permutations, etc., the total cost for me to enroll was going to be about $20,000. I pointed out that’s about the cost to buy an entire week, ocean front, 2 bedroom, on the secondary market and I felt that was a lot to spend for the real, but not big, benefits having points offered, especially since we don’t expect to use them anywhere other than Maui. The biggest advantage was the ability to check in/out on any day, so we could travel on the less costly Tuesdays, and the ability to stay less than or more than (if we locked off) one week. But, again, the cost was equal to another week!
And those points you were having to buy wouldn't get you anywhere close to a week in Maui.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
And those points you were having to buy wouldn't get you anywhere close to a week in Maui.
I would never use points for a week, but being able to extend 4 extra nights means you can travel on dates other than when everyone else in the world is traveling.
Was able to get 1st class on AA for the cost of Coach because I was able to shift travel dates.
But a small purchase of resale points would get you the same option.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would never use points for a week, but being able to extend 4 extra nights means you can travel on dates other than when everyone else in the world is traveling.

Unless your only other option was a lot of cash? Or you wanted a specific view? Or you wanted to go to a Ritz resort? Or you are headed to Branson in late fall / early spring where it's cheaper via points than a getaway even? I have more examples, but, I would definitely use points for a week if it made sense.

Also, recall not all points have the same underlying cost. An enrolled week that has low MF elected for points is not the same "price" as pure points. This can change the math.

But I mostly agree, a huge value of points (imho) is adding days on to either or both ends (ideally non weekends) so you have travel days that cost less, and, more importantly, the trip is longer.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Unless your only other option was a lot of cash? Or you wanted a specific view? Or you wanted to go to a Ritz resort? Or you are headed to Branson in late fall / early spring where it's cheaper via points than a getaway even? I have more examples, but, I would definitely use points for a week if it made sense.

Also, recall not all points have the same underlying cost. An enrolled week that has low MF elected for points is not the same "price" as pure points. This can change the math.

But I mostly agree, a huge value of points (imho) is adding days on to either or both ends (ideally non weekends) so you have travel days that cost less, and, more importantly, the trip is longer.
Agree with you both. Also if your buy-in cost per point is lower on that enrolling deal (like an enrolled week, that also has a lower MF/point) then the cost calculus gets better for sure.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been several times where MVC offered to enroll "post June 2010 " weeks BUT they have always required you buy more points ( often the amount of points that the post 2010 week would be worth) so if you had a "post 2010 week" worth 2750 pts you would have to buy 2750 pts.

Please be aware - this is not an ongoing offer of MVC but a once every few years offer.
Bill, there are a couple of inaccuracies here. They have offered the program every year for quite a few years. And there is another option to buying points, you can buy weeks at a resort that can't do points, like Aruba or St. Kitt's. It's actually normally cheaper both up front and yearly doing so.
You can, but I can't. Weakness of one week enrollment!!
I agree with others, buy more weeks then enroll. LOL. But in all seriousness there is an economy of scale else I would not have enrolled my weeks 2 years ago and even then it was a stretch in some ways of looking at it.
LOL - I meant at the $1495/week price.
You never know but I can't see that every happening. If anything the price is just going to increase. But if it doesn't make sense at the costs applicable, one should not enroll.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Just left a presentation at Marriott Aruba Ocean Club
The $1495 deal is ONLY for Pre 2010 weeks. They were throwing in an encore stay of 6 nights at Ocean Club Gold 1BR in addition to enrolling one week.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Just left a presentation at Marriott Aruba Ocean Club
The $1495 deal is ONLY for Pre 2010 weeks. They were throwing in an encore stay of 6 nights at Ocean Club Gold 1BR in addition to enrolling one week.
Oh, come on. It was much more fun to speculate. Why'd you have to bring confirmed information here? :cool:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Oh, come on. It was much more fun to speculate. Why'd you have to bring confirmed information here? :cool:
Well, we know how much we can trust anything from an owners update. Keep on speculating....

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
True. But I do the same thing with cash. I can do an awful lot of days here and there before I burn through $30k.